• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk About Sony's Timed Exclusives and Lack of Disclosures

Dargor

Keeping it out of marketing is different from not letting them announce a version at all.

Again, explain to me why they just announced very clearly that DQ Heroes II releases at the same exact date than the Ps4 version and now use the logo in the marketing materials? Why are they being more clear with a April release than a early March release if there is no moneyhat for the marketing?

Cuz that makes no sense. Why would Sony pay for that? Everyone knows that its coming for other platforms. Why would they waste money to try and make it seem like an exclusive when its obviously not?

On that I dont actually mind ROTR was coming to the Xbox One first. Thought that it would be great for the visuals if they could first work on the Xbox One version, and then put time on the PS4 after. A win-win for me.

....and I actually ended up disliking the game after I bought it for the PS4.

http://i.imgur.com/FxhFYiz.jpg[img][/QUOTE]glad to know, I may get during a sale on xbox.

back on topic. I found the Ace Combat 7 announcement confusing. They said it was PSVR exclusive, and for a time I thought it would be a VR only title.

I'm still not sure about Nioh, it isn't locked exclusive, is it?

dracula_x

No, I mean, Guerrilla Engines also work on PC, literally.

"Killzone: Mercenary is built on top of the Killzone 3 codebase and, at a structural level, much of the framework is identical," he tells us. "Out of the box, the engine supports multiple build targets - PlayStation 3 and PC - so extending to a third platform was relatively painless. Relatively. It's been a long and evolutionary process to get from first drop of the source to finished game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-killzone-mercenary

Nowadays it doesn't make sense to make an engine exclusively around a closed hardware.
You know, there's a big difference between PC x86 (as architecture), OS and API.

And they didn't specify what they meant by "PC". Just because they mentioned PC, that doesn't mean that engine can run on Windows.

More people own ps4's, thats why you see way less of a backlash when something is timed exclusive for playstation. Nintendo got taken to task for bayo 2 iirc even though that ended up a full 1st party exclusive

MUnited83

For you.
Maybe because that release date is no longer valid? Why don't you think that is possible that SE initially planned simultaneous release on PS4 and Steam and have later found out technical problems that made they change their plans? If they still hadn't decided a definitive date of publication what do you expect them to say else of "we are working on it"
The trailer with the steam logo was rendered after the trailer with only the PS4 logo. You can bet that the date is real.
Are we implying that Sony money hatted a sequel to a game that bombed on their platform more so than we are implying that maybe just maybe Square likes to maximize pre orders on consoles before a pc release.
Then, once again, why did they just announced the release date for DQ Heroes II on Steam? Shouldn't they be trying to maximise the console preorders like you said? Again, that makes no sense. And obviously Sony is treating Nier Automata less as "NiEr sequel" and more " game developed by developer highly appreciated and loved by the core gamer".

MUnited83

For you.
Cuz that makes no sense. Why would Sony pay for that? Everyone knows that its coming for other platforms. Why would they waste money to try and make it seem like an exclusive when its obviously not?
Considering how many people I've seen that are going for the Ps4 version of NiEr because they have no idea when the PC version released, it seems quite obvious why they would do it.

I'm a dream world we all would be playing on the SwitchBoxstation "the all in one entertainment system on the go for the players"

Nonono PlayStationSwitchBox

Jmille99

So the SFV exclusivity which blocked it from coming to Xbox completely is no where near close? Is that also taking into account that they're both very established franchises?

Its not. As far as I know, Sony helped fund that game from the ground up. Yes, it would have come out eventually, but Sony helped get the ball rolling from my understanding.

Whereas I understand the Tomb Raider exclusivity came about behind the scenes at an E3 after Tomb Raider development was well underway and shown at that E3. I believe this was the reasoning behind all the contradictory messaging at the time because shit was still being ironed out.

I could be wrong, but I remember this being the case at one time. Havent seen anything else mentioned about it since.

I don't think so? Cross-play was in RL when it released anyway, or soon after.

We all know the cross-play situation now anyway.

Either they've gotten tired of typing ("F" word comments) or they've somewhat come around to see why we've partnered with Sony this way and why we've gone through a platform that lets us have cross play between the console and the PC version...

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015...ty-backlash-and-whole-lot-more-ign-interview/

I'm pretty sure this is also the reason why FF14 is not on the Xbox.

Console exclusive is such a dumb term. Might as well say not on Xbox.
it does sound kind of dumb when you think about it but it's the only way to convey that "this is the only console this game is available on"

also, crash is a timed exclusive? that's news to me, where was that confirmed? there was a thread yesterday about playstation ireland just saying it was an exclusive

jmga

You know, there's a big difference between PC x86 (as architecture), OS and API.

And they didn't specify what they meant by "PC". Just because they mentioned PC, that doesn't mean that engine can run on Windows.

Knowing that all the development is done on Windows, what other PC OSes are they going to support on their engines?

Considering how many people I've seen that are going for the Ps4 version of NiEr because they have no idea when the PC version released, it seems quite obvious why they would do it.

Dude Neir is niche game
You think Sony give a fuck about Neir when they going to be marketing the hell out of HZD .

Kayant

Here's what I'm saying:
Well because for example when presenting their games they clearly state them as exclusives whether it's presented by a dev or an exec so in a case where they have gotten a timed exclusive which is a good thing from a marketing point of view so one would expect the deal maker to be the one to state their deal. Like in the case with ROTTR where even the dev/publisher were obfuscating the deal they had and only after multiple statements and interviews did the deal maker(MS) come out and state their deal.

MUnited83

For you.
but why wouldn't they do that with DQ heroes too?
You mean the game that is a sequel to one that bombed hard in recent times, and it's not being developed by a highly loved developer like Platinum? NiEr Automata has that niche cult status, DQ Heroes doesn't.
Dude Neir is niche game
You think Sony give a fuck about Neir when they going to be marketing the hell out of HZD .
Sony has made deals with niche games before, do you think they stopped randomly all of the sudden? Do you have no idea how business works? Sony obviously wants to paint the Ps4 as the place where to play the hardcore and niche games too. Assuming they don't care about niche games because they have blockbusters is pretty dumb and makes no sense.

Fdkn

Good to know that both google and apple paid SE to get the enhanced port of FFIX as a timed exclusive on android & ios before the steam release.

Because that is the only explanation possible based on this thread /s

Lothars

Its not. As far as I know, Sony helped fund that game from the ground up. Yes, it would have come out eventually, but Sony helped get the ball rolling from my understanding.

Whereas I understand the Tomb Raider exclusivity came about behind the scenes at an E3 after Tomb Raider development was well underway and shown at that E3. I believe this was the reasoning behind all the contradictory messaging at the time because shit was still being ironed out.

I could be wrong, but I remember this being the case at one time. Havent seen anything else mentioned about it since.
Yup that's how I read it came about which is why it's only some people that are still upset by it.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015...ty-backlash-and-whole-lot-more-ign-interview/

I'm pretty sure this is also the reason why FF14 is not on the Xbox.
Yup Which is why I don't get the people saying Sony is against it since they have had it in multiple games when It was MS that had blocked cross platform play for many years before that and only very recently changed their tune about it.

Can we talk about that kh2.8 and kh 1.5+2.5 moneyhat tho for a sec
this is something i don't really understand. all of these kingdom heart remasters are exclusive, i'm pretty sure SE just chose to make them exclusive...if sony moneyhatted them why the hell wouldn't they money hat kh3?

so the thing is, if kh3 is multiplatform why aren't the remasters? this is the first and perhaps only kingdom hearts game on xbox so if they aren't going to port the remasters there they are only dooming the xbone version of kh3 further

jmga

:)

that's not how it works.

you need a devkit, without that it's pointless

Not to run the Windows build where most of the work is done for.

I mean, do you really think that the whole development and debugging process is made around a closed hardware? That's not how it works.

Loudninja

this is something i don't really understand. all of these kingdom heart remasters are exclusive, i'm pretty sure SE just chose to make them exclusive...if sony moneyhatted them why the hell wouldn't they money hat kh3?

so the thing is, if kh3 is multiplatform why aren't the remasters? this is the first and perhaps only kingdom hearts game on xbox so if they aren't going to port the remasters there they are only dooming the xbone version of kh3 further
Remember KH3 and FF15 was announced at the beginning of the gen.

Moneal

I think SE announced KH3 on Xbox way too early and now wish they hadn't. They are seem to be trying to get everyone to forget it.
Edit:Their other RPGs haven't done so well on Xbox.

Sony has made deals with niche games before, do you think they stopped randomly all of the sudden? Do you have no idea how business works? Sony obviously wants to paint the Ps4 as the place where to play the hardcore and niche games too. Assuming they don't care about niche games because they have blockbusters is pretty dumb and makes no sense.

Don't care enough to make SE not talk about the PC version .
In fact Sony don't seem to care if the games go on PC .

Remember KH3 and FF15 was announced at the beginning of the gen.

I think SE announced KH3 on Xbox way too early and now wish they hadn't. They are seem to be trying to get everyone to forget it.
Edit:Their other RPGs haven't done so well on Xbox.

i get that, but the thing is it's too late, they're not gonna cancel the xbone version of KH3 so they should own up to their decision and port the remasters to xbone too. in my opinion, anyways. otherwise this shit doesn't make sense.

they're just making it look like playstation is the platform to play kingdom hearts

Skeeter49

KH3 was them thinking with their heart.
KH2.8, 1.5, and 2.5 was with their braining.

I'm curious what their expectations are on Xbox One for KH3.

Maybe it's just me but, why does Sony have to be responsible for announcing ALL versions of a game and not just theirs? It is a ball of confusion, even for them I think.

Well yes, I'm with you. Still what matters is the contract with Hideo. If he insisted on a PC release, he could still make that work.

But I would say it's a very, very, VERY slim chance now.

Yeah I agree with you.

Everything but the fact that they have never said it is going to be full exclusive and they themselves call It console exclusive on press notes.

What do the press notes say?

There's a lot more weight in it being a PlayStation exclusive:

uEZjTF.png

0O9h5a.png

Check something called Helldivers on Steam.

What should I check about Helldivers?

Moneal

i get that, but the thing is it's too late, they're not gonna cancel the xbone version of KH3 so they should own up to their decision and port the remasters to xbone too. in my opinion, anyways. otherwise this shit doesn't make sense.

they're just making it look like playstation is the platform to play kingdom heart
s

It is. They opened their mouths before seeing their other RPGs bomb on Xbox. Now they are still gonna follow through on KH3 and FFXV but that seems to be it. I don't think they care how KH3 does on Xbox at this point

MUnited83

For you.
Don't care enough to make SE not talk about the PC version .
In fact Sony don't seem to care if the games go on PC .
They sure seem to care, considering the current situation. Unless you think SE, again, just pulls decisions about games out of a hat.

"How will we deal with NiEr PC version?"
"*Pulls suggestion out of hat, it reads "be extremely secretive about it for several months in a extremely specific manner*"

"How will we deal with DQ Heroes II PC version"
" *Pulls suggestion out of hat, says to be clear about the release date directly months before it releases"

Yeah makes sense.

KH3 was them thinking with their heart.
KH2.8, 1.5, and 2.5 was with their braining.

I'm curious what their expectations are on Xbox One for KH3.

kh 2.8, 1.5 and 2.5 should be an extension of thinking with their heart since they already made their first and more important decision with that, if you know what i mean.

Well because for example when presenting their games they clearly state them as exclusives whether it's presented by a dev or an exec so in a case where they have gotten a timed exclusive which is a good thing from a marketing point of view so one would expect the deal maker to be the one to state their deal. Like in the case with TOTR where even the dev/publisher were obfuscating the deal they had and only after multiple statements and interviews did the deal maker(MS) come out and state their deal.

I understand what you're saying.

I can't think of any other game except Nier Automata that was falsely called a PlayStation exclusive.

Top Bottom