• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk About Sony's Timed Exclusives and Lack of Disclosures

And here we go again.

I will explain how things are going to happen.

Sony probably has forbidden Kojima to talk about the PC version ever again, they will release the PS5 version without saying it is full exclusive(or lying on stage about it like with Nier or Ni no Kuni 2) but people with believe it is exclusive because they never learn, and a few months after the PS5 version the PC one will show up.

We don't even know if there going to be a PC version still.
You do know that things can change with the amount of time this game has left .
The game did not even have a engine when it was announce and now Kojima is using GG engine which is PS4 only .

Seems like it. I mean, Kojima probably would've made Death Stranding regardless of Sony's assistance.

Where is Kojima going to get tens of millions of dollars from to make the game.
He could have choose any 3rd party but he went with Sony.

jmga

The game did not even have a engine when it was announce and now Kojima is using GG engine which is PS4 only .

Sony engines also work on PC.

yurinka

Sony had some mistake like in that video with the labels (or in this Twitter account with Crash, that they rectified), but they were the first and only ones to separate between "PS4 exclusive"(when only releaded there, mostly 1st party), "PS exclusive" (PS3+PS4, PS4+Vita, PS3+PS4+Vita), "Console exclusive" (PS4+PC), "First on PS / Console debut" (temporal exclusive, at least in consoles).

Other than that, some games are announced for PS or Xbox first (traditionally without mentioning "exclusive"), and after some time they are announced for more platforms where they are released the same day or months after. Mostly because they had a marketing deal with the first party. Some mention "exclusive", and it's true during a certain amount of time, but they should have said "temporal exclusive" or "first on" (case of Crash Trilogy tweet or Below).

MUnited83

For you.
You know you're talking about SE right? The same guys from the RoTTR deal, right?
The one where they got paid from MS to do it? Yes, thanks for proving my point I guess.

Funny how they just announced Dragon Quest Heroes 2 for Steam and are using the logo on marketing materials just fine now. Anyone wanna explain why they are treating DQ Heroes II differently? Do they just randomly pull reasons out of a hat?

So are you willing to send me the proof that Square Enix is doing this of their own volition?
I'll wait.

What? No.

There's precedence that Square Enix has fucked up PC releases in the past. Many here have explained that, and that's why I'm leaving my thoughts open, even though it's very much slanting to another one of SE's clusterfuck marketing.

You are adamant that this is a moneyhat, and giving the Trump-Russia situation analogy which frankly, is fucking nuts.

Dargor

The one where they got paid from MS to do it? Yes, thanks for proving my point I guess.

Funny how they just announced Dragon Quest Heroes 2 for Steam and are using the logo on marketing materials just fine now. Anyone wanna explain why they are treating DQ Heroes II differently? Do they just randomly pull reasons out of a hat?

The ones that accepted a deal for 6 months of timed exclusivity, fucked up, then offered 6 more months so they could talk about it lol.

They aren't a good example for good business deals nor decision making.

d9b

Banned
One year Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One exclusivity deal was the biggest douchebag move in recent gaming history. Nothing else comes close enough.

MUnited83

For you.

Where is Kojima going to get tens of millions of dollars from to make the game.
He could have choose any 3rd party but he went with Sony.
While Death Stranding might not release on PC anymore, the Decima Engine is not PS4 only and actively targets PC development too.
GG engine does not work on PC .
It is a PS4 only engine.
Of course that could change now that Kojima using it .
Still for now it's a PS4 only engine .
It's not.
The ones that accepted a deal for 6 months of timed exclusivity, fucked up, then offered 6 more months so they could talk about it lol.

They aren't a good example for good business deals nor decision making.
And now they accepted a shitty deal that probably will lose them more PC sales than the money they got from Sony. Thanks for proving my point again.

Akronis

Its really subjective.
Sometimes exclusivity sparks interest otherwise not garnered
Sometimes console manufacturers pay upfront for it
Sometimes the dev just wants to focus on a single platform

The only one it objectively harms is a person who doesn't own the system. But thats the market for you.
I mean if you still want to stick to your statement tell me how you think zelda's non exclusivity would've affected the switch's launch sales?

I'm clearly talking from a consumer perspective. Leave out the business part of things and it's objectively bad to consumers to not have a choice in platform.

Reality is far more complicated than that and you're absolutely correct that Zelda is going to be a major draw to the Switch. Just sucks that people can't choose how and where they want to game.

Alrus

BTW the latest trailer says coming to steam on March 10th.

And that trailer was promptly removed from the press site and replaced with one with no mention of Steam. Obviously it's just Square mysteriously making a trailer about a week ago with the steam release date on it even though is fake because they're incompetent and how dare people criticize Sony on that kind of business practice.

It is a PS4 only engine.

Well... it can. Part of the reason why Sony chooses the x86 architecture is because it would be easier to port games. In theory they can make the GG engine work on the PC.

I agree that it could most probably be a PS4 exclusive now though, if Sony pumps more money into the project. We all know the execs there are Kojima fanboys anyway.

jmga

It is a PS4 only engine.

No, I mean, Guerrilla Engines also work on PC, literally.

"Killzone: Mercenary is built on top of the Killzone 3 codebase and, at a structural level, much of the framework is identical," he tells us. "Out of the box, the engine supports multiple build targets - PlayStation 3 and PC - so extending to a third platform was relatively painless. Relatively. It's been a long and evolutionary process to get from first drop of the source to finished game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-killzone-mercenary

Nowadays it doesn't make sense to make an engine exclusively around a closed hardware.

Dargor

And now they accepted a shitty deal that probably will lose them more PC sales than the money they got from Sony. Thanks for proving my point again.

I don't get it, why are you so adamant there is a deal? If there was, I'm sure Sony would have said something when they announced it for other platforms when Sony paid for them not to.

Papacheeks

Banned
And that trailer was promptly removed from the press site and replaced with one with no mention of Steam. Obviously it's just Square mysteriously making a trailer about a week ago with the steam release date on it even though is fake because they're incompetent and how dare people criticize Sony on that kind of business practice.

Was it? I didn't know this is news to me thanks for the heads up.

Well... it can. Part of the reason why Sony chooses the x86 architecture is because it would be easier to port games. In theory they can make the GG engine work on the PC.

I agree that it could most probably be a PS4 exclusive now though, if Sony pumps more money into the project. We all know the execs there are Kojima fanboys anyway.

Yeah they could always make it work on PC but for now It's a engine for PS4 games.

Sony had some mistake like in that video with the labels (or in this Twitter account with Crash, that they rectified), but they were the first and only ones to separate between "PS4 exclusive"(when only releaded there, mostly 1st party), "PS exclusive" (PS3+PS4, PS4+Vita, PS3+PS4+Vita), "Console exclusive" (PS4+PC), "First on PS" (temporal exclusive, at least in consoles).

Other than that, some games are announced for PS or Xbox first (traditionally without mentioning "exclusive"), and after some time they are announced for more platforms where they are released the same day or months after.
But they pointedly stopped doing that at last year's PSX (coincidently that was when SE removed all mention of Nier's PC version from promotional trailers and website).

Papacheeks

Banned

Are you talking about this trailer that is on youtube and hasn't changed?

Still shows march 10th at the end for steam release?

I'm confused now?

Edit: never-mind, i watched the trailer not on Square's official channel, the one on square's channel has had the steam date removed.

MUnited83

For you.
I don't get it, why are you so adamant there is a deal? If there was, I'm sure Sony would have said something when they announced it for other platforms when Sony paid for them not to.
Keeping it out of marketing is different from not letting them announce a version at all.

Again, explain to me why they just announced very clearly that DQ Heroes II releases at the same exact date than the Ps4 version and now use the logo in the marketing materials? Why are they being more clear with a April release than a early March release if there is no moneyhat for the marketing?

HeatBoost

Sony really has absolutely no reason to be verbal about whether or not games are coming to other platforms. Like noooooone. That's the publisher's job, and if Sony is the publisher... If you're hoping for a port then, you're probably one of these people who are still crowing for a PC version of Bloodborne.

As for dubious PC version launches, hell, you don't need Sony to be involved for that to happen. I'm pretty sure Sony didn't do shit to the GTAV PC release and that took what, a smooch under a year?

Day-and-date PC releases for multiplat games are for devs who take the PC platform super seriously and have experience with it, and basically no one else.

leeh

One year Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One exclusivity deal was the biggest douchebag move in recent gaming history. Nothing else comes close enough.
So the SFV exclusivity which blocked it from coming to Xbox completely is no where near close? Is that also taking into account that they're both very established franchises?

Let's not forget NieR and Death Stranding.

This needs to stop! And not just Sony but other companies too.

While Death Stranding might not release on PC anymore, the Decima Engine is not PS4 only and actively targets PC development too.

And here we go again.

I will explain how things are going to happen.

Sony probably has forbidden Kojima to talk about the PC version ever again, they will release the PS5 version without saying it is full exclusive

Yeah I don't think Death Stranding will come out on anything except PlayStation:

Here are 4 reasons:

- Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Game Engine: Decima - Guerrilla Games
- Trademark holder: Sony Interactive Entertainment
- FAQ mentioning a PC release deleted after partnership

Everything points towards a full excluisve.

Moneal

So the SFV exclusivity which blocked it from coming to Xbox completely is no where near close? Is that also taking into account that they're both very established franchises?

Was SFV going to come out at all without sony money?

Keeping it out of marketing is different from not letting them announce a version at all.

Again, explain to me why they just announced very clearly that DQ Heroes II releases at the same exact date than the Ps4 version and now use the logo in the marketing materials? Why are they being more clear with a April release than a early March release if there is no moneyhat for the marketing?
Are we implying that Sony money hatted a sequel to a game that bombed on their platform more so than we are implying that maybe just maybe Square likes to maximize pre orders on consoles before a pc release.

Why would they even pull the accidental trailer with the PC release date from their site if they weren't contractually obligated to do so? Why would they misteriously make such a trailer and not release that trailer if there wasn't moneyhat behind it? Why would they self-sabotage the version that would give them the bigger margins.
SE fucks a lot, that's true, but this would be a completely whole new level of fucking up that I don't see being actually possible for any company that is still active. This is several steps beyond their usual fuck ups.

Maybe because that release date is no longer valid? Why don't you think that is possible that SE initially planned simultaneous release on PS4 and Steam and have later found out technical problems that made they change their plans? If they still hadn't decided a definitive date of publication what do you expect them to say else of "we are working on it"

I thought that was because they wanted to have a one big community and at the time MS didn't allow crossplay between other machines.

I solve this problem by just owning a PS4 and never having to worry over it.

Yea, but what if you're on the other side and only own an Xbox?

While it's good business to stay quiet about exclusivity, this is not all that consumer friendly, and Sony needs to be taken to task for it. They have good will from me this gen... Don't start pulling shady shit, because then my good will may start fading away...

jmga

Yeah I don't think Death Stranding will come out on anything except PlayStation:

Here are 4 reasons:

Everything but the fact that they have never said it is going to be full exclusive and they themselves call It console exclusive on press notes.

Here are 4 reasons:

Well yes, I'm with you. Still what matters is the contract with Hideo. If he insisted on a PC release, he could still make that work.

But I would say it's a very, very, VERY slim chance now.

leeh

I thought that was because they wanted to have a one big community and at the time MS didn't allow crossplay between other machines.
I don't think so? Cross-play was in RL when it released anyway, or soon after.

We all know the cross-play situation now anyway.

LordKano

Here are 4 reasons:

Check something called Helldivers on Steam.

Top Bottom