• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk About Sony's Timed Exclusives and Lack of Disclosures

Kinyou

It would tell me that it was exclusive to PS4 but could have a PC version. Just like Xbox Exclusive would tell me that it's exclusive to Xbox but also could have a PC version like my dead rising 4 example.
Sorry, but this seems like complete nonsense to me "*console name* exclusive" has always been understood as exclusive to that platform. What you're describing is known as console exclusive, meaning it's exclusive to that particular console on the console market, which is also a phrasing Sony uses.

it doesn't make sense that they'd jump around between using console exclusive and Playstation 4 exclusive while meaning the same thing.

jbug617

Banned
I remember Diablo 3 ended up being a weird messaging release.

For No Man Sky (which may never come to XB1), Sean Murray did say this in a interview when asked about it.

So when we spoke to Hello Games Sean Murray, the man responsible for creating No Man's Sky, we asked him and received a rather coy response for what we assumed was a very straightforward question.

In response Murray told us he wasn't sure what he was "actually allowed to say" at the time, noting that he needed to be "very specific with my words".

Before going any further though, Sony's rep stepped in to move the interview along, explaining that at this time there was nothing more to add.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/537409/No-Mans-Sky-Xbox-One-release-steam-pc-PS4

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
This thread is quite ridiculous.

jmga

when was a game labeled playstation exclusive (not playstation console exclusive) been ported to PC?

Yakuza 0 in Japan is labeled playstation exclusive and apparently it was a printing mistake on their part when when porting it to the west

Final Fantasy X-X2, for example.

What a persistent printing mistake that has been acompanying the game for more than a year since its western reveal at PSX 2015, on many promotional materials, trailers and even NA and EU printing.

It is even present on the official site.

glamshot.jpg

http://yakuza.sega.com/yakuza0/purchase.html

Zemm

Here's what I'm saying:

Why should Sony annouce a timed-exclusive partnership on stage or official channel?

That should be left to the actual devs, no?

No one's saying they should or expecting them to get up on stage and announce a game is coming for PS4 and PC. It's to do with them paying publishers/devs so that they themselves aren't allowed to announce or talk about a PC/Xbox/Nintendo version of the game. It's scummy, doesn't matter which company does it.

Fisty

I think it's ridiculous that "exclusive" has become such a bad word in recent years/months. Why the hell do you think I buy consoles? If you want a game that bad, buy the hardware

JB2448

There is enough discourse here with examples and counter examples to show that this is a valid topic of discussion. This has been a fascinating topic to follow.

Final Fantasy X-X2, for example.
that's a good point, I looked on wikipedia and it indeed looks like the reamstered version released on PC

What a persistent printing mistake that has been acompanying the game for more than a year since its western reveal at PSX 2015, on many promotional materials, trailers and even NA and EU printing.

It is even present on the official site.

glamshot.jpg

http://yakuza.sega.com/yakuza0/purchase.html
i don't know why they never chose to fix it but it is weird. the original version still says only on playstation

jmga

Sean is asked about the Xbox version not the PC version.
Still it is proof that Sony has at least once forbid someone talk about a version of the game of another platform.

that's a good point, I looked on wikipedia and it indeed looks like the reamstered version released on PC

i don't know why they never chose to fix it but it is weird. the original version still says only on playstation

And to be fair, the actual box of the game doesn't have that logo, only the special edition cover box has it.

tWIWy0B.jpg

https://youtu.be/9-iRlLisoTs

But they have it somewhere in either press releases or promo materials, which isn't the case.

The press release clearly mentions Ni No Kuni 2 in development for the PS4 system. And it only further proves my point that it might have been put forward as an exclusive to Sony in 2015.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...DVENTURE_IN_NI_NO_KUNI_II_REVENANTKINGDOM.php

Please, explain me how calling somthing exclusive to your platform while it is not is not lying.

If it's a timed PlayStation exclusive than I don't see why anyone would classify that as lying.

No one's saying they should or expecting them to get up on stage and announce a game is coming for PS4 and PC. It's to do with them paying publishers/devs so that they themselves aren't allowed to announce or talk about a PC/Xbox/Nintendo version of the game. It's scummy, doesn't matter which company does it.

How do you know this?

Ascheroth

when was a game labeled playstation exclusive (not playstation console exclusive) been ported to PC?

Yakuza 0 in Japan is labeled playstation exclusive and apparently it was a printing mistake on their part when when porting it to the west

Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure just ~2 weeks ago.

The Yakuza situation is pretty silly however, regardless of what labels it does or doesn't use. Sure, there's always the possibilty that it's coming down the line, but this is SEGA. They're probably the single worst publisher when it comes to japanese console games to PC efforts nowadays, with Square Enix just a little behind, so expecting anything from them on that front is probably a fruitless endeavour.

People thought MS had bought the rights to Tomb Raider, that's why everyone kicked up a fuss.

The other games just aren't as popular, and PC doesn't pay for 3rd party advertising costs so they're never going to get on stage announcements.

Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure just ~2 weeks ago.

The Yakuza situation is pretty silly however, regardless of what labels it does or doesn't use. Sure, there's always the possibilty that it's coming down the line, but this is SEGA. They're probably the single worst publisher when it comes to japanese console games to PC efforts nowadays, with Square Enix just a little behind, so expecting anything from them on that front is probably a fruitless endeavour.

just checked wikipedia, that first one does say only on playstation so yup, that's sony fuckin up right there.

Yakuza has been exclusive to playstation for a very long time, I really don't know what to say about whether or not it stays that way

Still it is proof that Sony has at least once forbid someone talk about a version of the game of another platform.

A version of the game that does not exist (for now).

We are talking about a PC version of Nier (which does exist) that is "supposedly" being banned by Sony from commenting on it.

jmga

If it's a timed PlayStation exclusive than I don't see why anyone would classify that as lying.

As far as we know, it has never been a timed exclusive, even the most recent leaked trailer from a few days ago says the same release date as the PS4 version.

The only words about a delay are from a couple of days ago.

And also, deliberately omitting the word timed when talking about exclusives is lying.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
We are talking about a PC version of Nier (which does exist) that is "supposedly" being banned by Sony from commenting on it.

Which is funny considering that its been mentioned repeatedly by various SE employees over the last 7 months, but they just haven't been willing/able to commit to a firm release date.

Seems like publishing indecision more than a Sony-mandated gag order.

As far as we know, it has never been a timed exclusive, even the most recent leaked trailer from a few days ago says the same release date as the PS4 version.

And also, deliberately omitting the word timed when talking about exclusives is lying.

Sony is under no obligation to say PC or timed. Call it whatever you want, they don't care.

jmga

Sony is under no obligation to say PC or timed. Call it whatever you want, they don't care.

Well, they should, it is false advertisement selling something as exclusive if it isn't.

And we are not even talking about timed exclusives here.

Ni no Kuni 2 is releasing the same date as PS4.

Nier was planned to release the same date as the leaked trailer shows, if a delay is happening, it has been planned recently.

JayDub

I agree. Huge outcry over RotTR's timed exclusive. Complaints about how MS money hatted an exclusive blah blah blah, how its poisonous for the industry.

Sony announces they bank rolled SFV, and it is to remain a full exclusive. HYPE.

RotTR releases finally, and a lot of the response was, "meh, guess Ill try it out", some of that mindset having to do with bitterness over the timed exclusive (other reasons having to do with the fact that the console already has UC4).

Though I have turned into a pretty big Sony fan this gen, and sold my XB1 for a Pro last week, I find Sony fans absolutely infuriating.

UCBooties

And now they accepted a shitty deal that probably will lose them more PC sales than the money they got from Sony. Thanks for proving my point again.

So you won't even consider the possibility that the trailer with the PC release date was pulled because the PC port isn't ready. It has to be the result of Sony forcing them to pull it with a wheelbarrow full of money. Cool.

So if that is true, and Sony is pouring money into shenanigans for a game that won't even move the needle compared to their upcoming exclusives like Horizon and God of War, how does that actually lose SE money in the long run? People don't buy it on PC because they bought it on PS? Still sales for SE. People don't have PS and buy it when it releases on PC? Still sales for SE.

How are they losing sales here?

I don't understand what the issue is? I don't think Sony needs to be advertising other platforms. I don't even think they should HAVE to talk about any other platform but their won. It's up to the consumer to find out what their options are, and to exercise patience if they're really adamant about playing Crash/Nioh/... on PC/Xbox One.

Besides, the cases in which we never got to know whether or not a game will release x amount of time after it releases on whatever platform have to be pretty damn sparse, right?

And before you ask, the people who complained about RotTR were wrong too. We'll probably never know the details, but I'm willing to bet that we wouldn't have gotten the game we ended up getting if it wasn't for Microsoft's intervention, if we would have gotten it at all. And even I, as a person who only owns a PS4, got to benefit from that.

So let me get this straight:

- Yakuza 0 was originally "Only on Playstation" in Japan/Asia. Later the label was removed;
- in North America it's "Console Exclusive";
- in Europe it's "Only on Playstation".

What the actual fuck.

MUnited83

For you.
So you won't even consider the possibility that the trailer with the PC release date was pulled because the PC port isn't ready. It has to be the result of Sony forcing them to pull it with a wheelbarrow full of money. Cool.

So if that is true, and Sony is pouring money into shenanigans for a game that won't even move the needle compared to their upcoming exclusives like Horizon and God of War, how does that actually lose SE money in the long run? People don't buy it on PC because they bought it on PS? Still sales for SE. People don't have PS and buy it when it releases on PC? Still sales for SE.

PC sales give them a bigger margin than console sales. Intentionally keeping PC off the marketing costs them sales.

Also, will you admit you are wrong when the game inevitably releases in the leaked date?
I don't understand what the issue is? I don't think Sony needs to be advertising other platforms. I don't even think they should HAVE to talk about any other platform but their won. It's up to the consumer to find out what their options are, and to exercise patience if they're really adamant about playing Crash/Nioh/... on PC/Xbox One.

Besides, the cases in which we never got to know whether or not a game will release x amount of time after it releases on whatever platform have to be pretty damn sparse, right?
Yet another one that can't read the thread. Amazing.

It's the timed announcements that bother me more than anything. It's not that big a deal all things considered but I wish the press would actually push a bit when things like Ace Combat 7 are announced for one platform, without exclusive branding, to try and capture mind-share before the rest of launch devices are announced.

I agree. Huge outcry over RotTR's timed exclusive. Complaints about how MS money hatted an exclusive blah blah blah, how its poisonous for the industry.

Sony announces they bank rolled SFV, and it is to remain a full exclusive. HYPE.

RotTR releases finally, and a lot of the response was, "meh, guess Ill try it out", some of that mindset having to do with bitterness over the timed exclusive (other reasons having to do with the fact that the console already has UC4).

Though I have turned into a pretty big Sony fan this gen, and sold my XB1 for a Pro last week, I find Sony fans absolutely infuriating.
they moneyhatting of rotr bothered me because of their reasons behind it, they wanted an answer to Uc4, but rotr was gonna come to Xbone regardless, mS just paid for the game to not be on Ps4 for a year.

if they moneyhatted Mass Effect 4 that wouldn't bother me tbh because that's a franchise that originated on xbox

UCBooties

Which is funny considering that its been mentioned repeatedly by various SE employees over the last 7 months, but they just haven't been willing/able to commit to a firm release date.

Seems like publishing indecision more than a Sony-mandated gag order.

SE sucks at PC ports, they're probably not sure if it is going to be ready in time to release with the console version. Or, yaknow, cruel master Sony is holding defenseless SE down with a pile of money.

One of those two.

Bluenoser

If anything the crash situation has proved Sony's silence means nothing.
I'm sure it'll still come.

Just like MS shouldn't have with RotTR then?

But MS DID say something. They said exclusive to Xbox holiday 2015. They created a PR line to blur reality, when they could have said nothing, or simply dropped the word "exclusive" or added the word "first" as Sony has done in the past.

Nier was first announced as a PS4 title and later confirmed for PC. The last press release mentions the PS4 release date and a release year for PC, afaik. If that isn't a timed-exclusive partnership, especially if the wait for a PC release is more than a month than I don't know what is.

I could be wrong, and it might release on the 10th as the deleted trailer suggests.

Sony clearly resorted to a half-truth.

it is though. we have all copies of the game, myself included and it says console exclusive.

The image jmga linked says the art is not final. I was just pointing that out.

Ascheroth

That trailer was rendered after the PS4 only version.

And they're losing sales because no one is going to know this game even exists on Steam the way they're handling it, and visibility is of huge importance on Steam with the truckload of games releasing all the time.

Just some things to consider.

ianpm31

Playstation is known for a wide range of exclusives from all corners of the world since PS1 days. It's really not a surprise that games like Yakuza, Nier, or Nioh are not on their platform or console of choice. There is a REASON why it's like that. Sega is not trying to lose money porting Yakuza to xbox.

I don't get the premise.

"Let me tell you my game is coming out on other platforms so there is less chance you invest into mine"

What business sense does this make?

Kayant

It would tell me that it was exclusive to PS4 but could have a PC version. Just like Xbox Exclusive would tell me that it's exclusive to Xbox but also could have a PC version like my dead rising 4 example.
Well you should tell that Sony if that was the case it woukd ve reasonable to expecting BB, R&C, Horizon on PC anytime now but we all know that is not that case.
In a conference where Sony use the same name to clarify their first party exclusive games that doesn't make sense. PS4 exclusive is a very clear statement.

"PlayStation exclusive" is fine whilst not as clear as console exclusive it means the same thing as it's a reference to the ecosystem.

UCBooties

PC sales give them a bigger margin than console sales. Intentionally keeping PC off the marketing costs them sales.

Yet another one that can't read the thread. Amazing.

Oh so you're trying to make this a when is a sale not a sale argument. LOL.

Margins vary by storefront, region, and distribution channel. You have no idea what SE's margins are and are just pulling this out of your ass, all to justify your belief that Sony forced SE to pull a trailer when the much more believable option is that SE fucked up the trailer in the first place.

Top Bottom