• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's face it, RE4 was a massive mistake.

kiphalfton

Agreed.
It was a Great gameBut ruined the RE series for awhile.

Resident Evil Turned from a slow paced horror game to an action game because of RE4. Anyone who disagrees probably didnt like the the originals like fans who loved the formula.

Things RE4 done that were not REsident evil:

No metroidvania backtracking and level design
No mansion / police station etc
No zombies
Hordes or enemies
Projectile throwing enemies you can deflect away by bullets...
Melee attackings. Spinning kicks and suplex city... lol
Machine gun enemies... lol

No puzzles
No keys and locks
Button bashing
QTE’s
No scary creepy music
No save room

Did I mention hordes of enemies you can suplex??... this is not what Resident Evil is about lol. Go play your action game

Logic dictates a couple things, and why the series progressed in the way it did - namely due to console tech improving and resulting in the following:

- Implemented an over-the-shoulder camera that allowed you to look in all directions (not just up, down, left, or right or limiting the view to a static background/camera)
- More realistic movement that allowed you to walk in all directions (not just in a straight line, i.e. not tank controls)
- More enemies on screen at one time and with varying animations (not just one or two enemies)

Most people [who argue RE4 is in some way was the downfall of RE games] seem to be stuck in the past, and delude themselves into thinking that the way the games were designed on PS1/PS2 was intentional and ignore hardware limitations at the time.

I mean most the points you made in your post are pretty much all blasphemy. There are puzzles, keys, there's backtracking, there's save rooms/typewriters, etc. Then you mention machine gun toting enemies... but then you ignore the fact that Nemesis from RE3 has a rocket launcher. You do realize this is a game about bioweapons... right? I mean that should be blatantly clear playing any of those games, even just the first game, and realizing there's dozens of different types/strains.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's hard to hate RE4 because it was so good, and sadly because of how good it was it kinda makes some people blind to how bad it is as a RE game.
RE7 on the other hand is kinda in a similar position.
As far as VR horror game, it probably the best one period.
But outside that it's pretty average Capcom affair, showing they have no clue how to make a good RE game.
The RE2/3 gives me hope, but I want a new original RE like that to prove Capcom still have what it takes to make a good RE game.
RE8 is all kinds of wrong and is exactly what we didn't want.
And without VR it's gonna be a harder sell.

MistBreeze

how anybody can say that

on its time it was one of the most influencing games ever

it is a genre defining game that revolutionized third person genre

a complete package of a game that rarely made in history

it is one of the best games of all time

and for me it is my favorite game of all time

Going to third person was trash. RE4 turned the franchise into an action game for the next number of installments and they got progressively worse. Leading upto the cluster fuck that was RE6. Those design choices were all rooted in from the success of RE4.

Even RE3 remake while flawed was still better than RE4 as an RE installment.

Want proof? Compare how critically acclaimed RE2 remake and RE7 were. Even Remake went back to it's roots which every RE4 fan were suddenly making it out as the second coming and RE7 was a new step into exploring the psychological horror of the genre. Which what RE is meant to be by the way.... HORROR.

So yeah screw RE4. Good riddance to that history of Resident Evil.

Edit: Was RE4 a fun action game? Sure. Was it a good RE game? No way in hell.

THIS is what RE4 was meant to be before the design change. Biohazard 3.5:

Those knife wielding babies looked really unfun to fight against in that video.

Also, RE4 was my favorite game on Gamecube, so agree to disagree. The RE franchise is still that important to you, OP? RE2 remake was absolutely out of nowhere phenomenal for me, but 1,2 and 4 were the best in the series.

Kokoloko85

Logic dictates a couple things, and why the series progressed in the way it did - namely due to console tech improving and resulting in the following:

- Implemented an over-the-shoulder camera that allowed you to look in all directions (not just up, down, left, or right or limiting the view to a static background/camera)
- More realistic movement that allowed you to walk in all directions (not just in a straight line, i.e. not tank controls)
- More enemies on screen at one time and with varying animations (not just one or two enemies)

Most people [who argue RE4 is in some way was the downfall of RE games] seem to be stuck in the past, and delude themselves into thinking that the way the games were designed on PS1/PS2 was intentional and ignore hardware limitations at the time.

I mean most the points you made in your post are pretty much all blasphemy. There are puzzles, keys, there's backtracking, there's save rooms/typewriters, etc. Then you mention machine gun toting enemies... but then you ignore the fact that Nemesis from RE3 has a rocket launcher. You do realize this is a game about bioweapons... right? I mean that should be blatantly clear playing any of those games, even just the first game, and realizing there's dozens of different types/strains.

Nemisis was an exception and a boss. When did normal enemies have machine guns in Re1,2,3, Zero and Code Veronica?

And you could do over the shoulder and still keep the classic gameplay formula so your points aren’t exactly valid. Its not about being stuck in the past, its about keeping the formula. Theres not much difference between RE4 and RE5, way less than RE1 —> RE4

Having to deal with hordes of enemies and ammo dropping from there dead bodies and round house kicking them is not the traditional resident Evil and I dont think the original makers thought, ”Oh PS1 tech doesnt allow us this, so lets limit it to slow moving zombies” How can you think its fine for a Resident Evil game to have hordes of enemies with machine guns lmao?

And there was nowhere near the same backtracking at the classics. Or puzzples. When are you in the same location for more than a short amount of time?

I dont know why RE4 fans get so sensitive to when people say it plays and is nothing like a classic RE game. Its not and its fine. Its fine for RE fans not to like it and blame the action style gameplay the series took on RE4. People try to blame RE5 but it uses the RE4 Formula Lol.
RE4 was a masterpiece for the time, but looking back it plays nothing like the Classics. RE7 and RE2 remake play like the classics With difference camera angles.

sainraja

Going to third person was trash. RE4 turned the franchise into an action game for the next number of installments and they got progressively worse. Leading upto the cluster fuck that was RE6. Those design choices were all rooted in from the success of RE4.

Even RE3 remake while flawed was still better than RE4 as an RE installment.

Want proof? Compare how critically acclaimed RE2 remake and RE7 were. Even Remake went back to it's roots which every RE4 fan were suddenly making it out as the second coming and RE7 was a new step into exploring the psychological horror of the genre. Which what RE is meant to be by the way.... HORROR.

So yeah screw RE4. Good riddance to that history of Resident Evil.

Edit: Was RE4 a fun action game? Sure. Was it a good RE game? No way in hell.

THIS is what RE4 was meant to be before the design change. Biohazard 3.5:

Going third-person didn't ruin it or turn it into an action game - the recent Resident Evil 2 remake and Resident Evil 3 games prove that. Resident Evil 4 could have had scary elements to it without the arcadey elements (the silly merchant, the money drops etc.) But, yeah, even I thought it wasn't a good Resident Evil game. It was a good game using the Resident Evil name.

Last edited:

sainraja

Resident Evil 4 was not a mistake.
Resident Evil 5 forcing co-op was a mistake.
Resident Evil 6 was a 500 person mistake.
Resident Evil 7 was (reportedly) not a mistake. (It's on my to-do list.)
Resident Evil 2 Remake was not a mistake. Made a couple mistakes, though.
Resident Evil 3 Remake was a mistake, but an enjoyable enough mistake.
Resident Evil Resistance was, to most, a mistake. Haven't tried it.

Capcom's mistake was releasing Outbreak a generation too early. Now it lives on in niche online communities based round patched Japanese copies in emulators, so here's hoping they remake it properly off Resistance's tech.

I still prefer classic Resident Evil overall, but Resident Evil 4 is one of my favourite games ever.

Free plug for Gemini Classic Rebirth, an ongoing one man project making 1, 2, and 3 on PC better in so many ways that I can't even list them all. Recent blog post has some upcoming stuff, it's impressive.
I don't get the hate towards Resident Evil 3. The only thing they messed up on with it was cutting content.

Dane

I don't get the hate towards Resident Evil 3. The only thing they messed up on with it was cutting content.

Because it was a downer in quality compared how RE2 Remake raised the bar, 3 had cut content and Nemesis was just a reskinned Mr X with extra attack set. It's not bad, but 2 was a 9.8/10, their only mistake was with the scenario's plot not being connected properly, 3 was a 7.8/10 in comparison.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Eh, RE3 was already an all out action game and even 2 was more about it than 1. You can only have horror/awe/surprise for so long with the same theme, hence Aliens isn't Alien and Terminator 2 isn't Terminator etc. 4 just made the action awesome while maintaining awesome tank controls etc.

Last edited:
The setting in that demo I liked more than what we got in RE4.
im glad we got the President’s daughter, even if she did get a bit annoying. Nice eye candy. I wonder how/if they will depict her in the remake if that comes to pass.

Knightime_X

Immensely disagree.
Re4 is incredible and remains as one of the greatest games of all time.

You might have not liked re6 but that doesn't mean re6 was bad at all.
We all have opinions. Objectively there is nothing wrong with it.

Resident Evil being action horror is far more fun to play than survival horror.
I find being overwhelmed by hard to escape enemies more terrifying than running past a handful of dumb fuck zombies

Last edited:
It wernt baddd, but it wasnt the Resident evil I knew and loved. And mygod, I truly hated the QTE's

TpkGyZl.jpg
Dude.. The QuickTime knife fight with Krauser is to this day one of my all-time favorite gaming moments. But I'm a sucker for well-made QTE's.

Kronos9x

RE4's problem was the story. Mikami pretty much ruined the saga continuity by getting rid of Umbrella in a very simplistic way. The gameplay was arcadey, almost like parody.

The RE5 and 6 devs had to create a new enemy to replace Umbrella and you can't just simply do that without a proper backstory. The Raccoon City saga was a fan favorite and the new enemies were simply generic replacements. So the focus had to shift from Umbrella to the main characters, which became parodies.

It's a good thing that people like Nakanishi fixed the franchise with RE7 and brought back many classic elements.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Hands down one of THE best games of that generation..

Sure RE5 and 6 were disappointments, but I'd rather look at the games individually. Those were three different games, that could have gone in any number of directions.

Resident Evil 4 is simply the greatest video game of all time.

Based on the thread title, I was willing to give the OP a benefit of the doubt. But reading the OP itself -- it's a hot (bordering on dumb) take.

One conversational aspect I kept seeing in the first couple of pages of this thread is the concept of RE4 being "not a true Resident Evil." What, exactly, is Resident Evil "supposed to be" in the minds of these people? Resident Evil has now gone through a fixed-camera, tank controls trilogy; an action trilogy; and now coming up on an FPS trilogy. And that's just for the main series. Point is, Resident Evil it not limited to a single play style, which is perhaps the biggest point to try to get through the thick skulls of the rabid fans of the original trilogy style.

Resident Evil is my favorite (by far) video game series. But after having played REmake and Resident Evil 0 back to back recently, as much as I love both of those games... Resident Evil 4 needed to happen. And it needed to happen exactly how and when it happened, otherwise the RE series might be dead.

RE4 was so good, that its gameplay style carried over to not just the rest of the action trilogy (5 and 6), but arguably to the Revelations subseries of games. (Not to mention its seismic effect on the rest of the video game industry; over-the-shoulder became the de facto standard for Third Person Shooters). Also, RE5 gets more hate than deserved; played right, it's one of the absolute best coop experiences one can have in video games.

OP, no offense, but your opinion... sucks :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Heartkiller

Agreed.
It was a Great gameBut ruined the RE series for awhile.

Resident Evil Turned from a slow paced horror game to an action game because of RE4. Anyone who disagrees probably didnt like the the originals like fans who loved the formula.

Things RE4 done that were not REsident evil:
No metroidvania backtracking and level design
There was some backtracking/metroidvania elements to the level design and the levels were fantastic for the most part.
No mansion / police station etc
So every Resident Evil game needs to use the same locations? How incredibly boring.
No zombies
God forbid they mix it up.
Hordes of enemies
Making for some wonderfully tense sequences.
Projectile throwing enemies you can deflect away by bullets...
A very fun mechanic that rewards player skill.
Melee attackings. Spinning kicks and suplex city... lol
Also a ton of fun and it rewards smart players by allowing them to save ammo.
Machine gun enemies... lol
A very small aspect of a game filled with incredible enemy designs and bosses.
No puzzles
Not true.
No keys and locks
Also not true.
Button bashing
QTE’s
Same thing. And a very small aspect of the game, even if you hate it.
No scary creepy music
The music is great and it can get tense when it needs to.
No save room
Not true, are you sure that you played Resident Evil 4?

So basically, you just want them to make Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 over and over again? I get that RE4 isn't the same kind of game as the first three games in the series. There's nothing wrong with preferring the original style either. But Resident Evil 4 is far from a standard action game and wanting the series to stagnate and regurgitate the same shit over and over again is just sad. RE4 was an innovative game and it retained a lot of horror elements at the same time. RE5 and RE6 are the horror-devoid action romps that your are trying to paint RE4 out to be.

cryptoadam

Banned
If no RE4 RE would be in the dust bin of history. Code Veronica bombed and RE3 was a dead end on a last gen system. Without the huge sucsess of RE4, Resident Evil probably goes into Capcoms vault.

And the game was plenty Resident Evil. It still had scares and that B movie kind of vibe.

And overall its probably one of the best games ever made. Having one of the best games ever made attached to your franchise is a boon no matter how you slice it.

There was some backtracking/metroidvania elements to the level design and the levels were fantastic for the most part.

So every Resident Evil game needs to use the same locations? How incredibly boring.

Not true.

Also not true.

So basically, you just want them to make Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 over and over again? I get that RE4 isn't the same kind of game as the first three games in the series. There's nothing wrong with preferring the original style either. But Resident Evil 4 is far from a standard action game and wanting the series to stagnate and regurgitate the same shit over and over again is just sad. RE4 was an innovative game and it retained a lot of horror elements at the same time. RE5 and RE6 are the horror-devoid action romps that your are trying to paint RE4 out to be.

Every single point made in this post is 100% correct.

It seems that, to some people, they want RE1 and RE2 remade over and over and over again. A mansion/RPD. Sewers. A lab. A self destruct sequence. How boring.

The strength of a video game series can sometimes be measured by how well it can evolve and change to adapt to the times and to players' changing tastes. And sometimes that means taking some gambles. I remember in 1996, Street Fighter fanboys throwing giant fits because for the first Street Fighter III entry, Capcom tossed the entire cast except for Ryu and Ken, and brought in weird, new people. The entire cast that had been reused for a trillion games. Capcom gambled, and in my eyes, the gamble with Street Fighter paid off. They also gambled with Resident Evil, and it was a gamble that hugely paid off.

laynelane

Resident Evil 4 is simply the greatest video game of all time.

Based on the thread title, I was willing to give the OP a benefit of the doubt. But reading the OP itself -- it's a hot (bordering on dumb) take.

One conversational aspect I kept seeing in the first couple of pages of this thread is the concept of RE4 being "not a true Resident Evil." What, exactly, is Resident Evil "supposed to be" in the minds of these people? Resident Evil has now gone through a fixed-camera, tank controls trilogy; an action trilogy; and now coming up on an FPS trilogy. And that's just for the main series. Point is, Resident Evil it not limited to a single play style, which is perhaps the biggest point to try to get through the thick skulls of the rabid fans of the original trilogy style.

Resident Evil is my favorite (by far) video game series. But after having played REmake and Resident Evil 0 back to back recently, as much as I love both of those games... Resident Evil 4 needed to happen. And it needed to happen exactly how and when it happened, otherwise the RE series might be dead.

RE4 was so good, that its gameplay style carried over to not just the rest of the action trilogy (5 and 6), but arguably to the Revelations subseries of games. (Not to mention its seismic effect on the rest of the video game industry; over-the-shoulder became the de facto standard for Third Person Shooters). Also, RE5 gets more hate than deserved; played right, it's one of the absolute best coop experiences one can have in video games.

OP, no offense, but your opinion... sucks :messenger_sunglasses:

One of the things I enjoy about RE is all the experimentation. The "it's a good game, but not a good RE game" has been so massively overused at this point which is strange because you're right about RE not being limited to a single playstyle/concept. The original games still exist for those who really want fixed camera, tank controls, puzzles, and zombies but I would have stopped playing RE a long time ago if those were still ongoing staples. The variety in the games, characters, and over the top stories are what keep me coming back.

sainraja

Because it was a downer in quality compared how RE2 Remake raised the bar, 3 had cut content and Nemesis was just a reskinned Mr X with extra attack set. It's not bad, but 2 was a 9.8/10, their only mistake was with the scenario's plot not being connected properly, 3 was a 7.8/10 in comparison.
I don't understand the "reskinned" comment, have you played the original RE3? It is a shame that they cut content but despite that I thought it was a good overall game. In the original games, the 3rd game was always considered the one to have a little more 'action' in it compared to the 2nd one and that still holds true.

One of the things I enjoy about RE is all the experimentation. The "it's a good game, but not a good RE game" has been so massively overused at this point which is strange because you're right about RE not being limited to a single playstyle/concept. The original games still exist for those who really want fixed camera, tank controls, puzzles, and zombies but I would have stopped playing RE a long time ago if those were still ongoing staples. The variety in the games, characters, and over the top stories are what keep me coming back.

Regarding the bolded: hell, at some point, even I fell victim to that mentality. But then I snapped out of it, because as I progressed through RE games, I understood that what makes RE a great (and my favorite) series is, as you mentioned, their experimentation and willingness to try new things. In fact, when I heard that RE8 is going to have goddamned werewolves, I got pretty hype. Because it would be a new kind of enemy, and werewolves have been a staple of the horror genre for probably centuries at this point.

sainraja

The horror aspect of Resident Evil is so overrated. They are not scary at all and even RE7 just turns into cheesy schlock within a couple of hours.
Yeah, that's true. None of the games are terrifyingly scary but they all did nail the tension part.

I don't understand the "reskinned" comment, have you played the original RE3? It is a shame that they cut content but despite that I thought it was a good overall game. In the original games, the 3rd game was always considered the one to have a little more 'action' in it compared to the 2nd one and that still holds true.
LMAO, in the Resident Evil 3 OT, a few of us are having this very conversation. (I agree with you about RE3 Remake being a very good game.)

laynelane

Regarding the bolded: hell, at some point, even I fell victim to that mentality. But then I snapped out of it, because as I progressed through RE games, I understood that what makes RE a great (and my favorite) series is, as you mentioned, their experimentation and willingness to try new things. In fact, when I heard that RE8 is going to have goddamned werewolves, I got pretty hype. Because it would be a new kind of enemy, and werewolves have been a staple of the horror genre for probably centuries at this point.
I'm a huge fan of werewolves and it's going to be interesting to see a RE take on them. How did it happen? Is it contagious? I'm looking forward to that lore addition and just the creatures themselves too.

anthraticus

Banned
I'm more a fan of the older style survival horror style ones, but don't think games like this shouldn't exist or anything.

..unless it comes at the cost of the old ones existing. Then fuck em', yea.

Kokoloko85

Not true.

Also not true.

Your just making an excuse for every reason by saying its fun... RE5 in coop was fun too. Thats not a valid reason and doesn't get away from the point that it goes away from the classic RE Formula, why are you trying to convince me its like the classic games when its nothing like them.
Its fun, but so is DMC combat, neither is classic Resident Evil lol.

I never said its not fun to deflect knifes and suplex non zombies, but it breaks from the classic RE gameplay lmao. In the classics, you cant just shoot a zombie and bloody roundhouse kick them and pick up amoo from there body lol. The classics had a slow and careful approach to enemies and amoo.. its what made the game a survival horror. It was a design decision not a technical drawback.
Just accept it Instead of trying to convince people its a classic RE formula game.

There is nowhere near the same amount of backtrackings, or puzzles.
Being in the same location is borings? Its what made the games iconic.

Classic RE’s are mostly Metroidvania games. It means you backtrack in the same large building/area Throughout most the game and unlock parts of the area as you progress. Not escort a girl through rooms and rooms of enemies waves In a castle that you dont explore?? And fight. RE4 was always moving forward, barely going back and forward?

Why is it so hard to accept they broke the classic formula?

Read what I said, its a great game. But it breaks the Classic Formula....

Yes i forgot about save points, but the rest is nothing like classic RE. I cant remember the ink Ribbons?

Again RE4 was a great game, it saved the franchise at the time etc but far off from a classic Resident Evil formula and more like RE 5 and 6. It was more an action game. RE5 also made Capcom a ton of money, got good sales and scores but very far from the classics.

RE 1 Remake, RE2, RE3 ( the one that was most different ) Zero and Code veronica are nothing like RE4, 5 and 6. End of story
I enjoy them all... maybe not 6 lol

Last edited:

Ultraslick

Neo Member
Your argument is sound op, but not your thesis.
RE4 was so great when it first came out. It felt almost groundbreaking.
Also, it still had some survival horror elements even though it was more action oriented.
Unlike 5 and 6 that went fully action because capcom thought that’s all that western audiences would buy.

may they never go full action again.
You Never Go Full Action!

Top Bottom