• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's face it, RE4 was a massive mistake.

Going to third person was trash. RE4 turned the franchise into an action game for the next number of installments and they got progressively worse. Leading upto the cluster fuck that was RE6. Those design choices were all rooted in from the success of RE4.

Even RE3 remake while flawed was still better than RE4 as an RE installment.

Want proof? Compare how critically acclaimed RE2 remake and RE7 were. Even Remake went back to it's roots which every RE4 fan were suddenly making it out as the second coming and RE7 was a new step into exploring the psychological horror of the genre. Which what RE is meant to be by the way.... HORROR.

So yeah screw RE4. Good riddance to that history of Resident Evil.

Edit: Was RE4 a fun action game? Sure. Was it a good RE game? No way in hell.

THIS is what RE4 was meant to be before the design change. Biohazard 3.5:

Last edited:

Fake

Yeap. They just used the name of the franchise. 'Survive horror', but enemies drop ammo. 'Survive horror', but the game scales of how bad you're playing.
I like people making fun of babysitting in God of War/TLOUS and at the same time calling RE4 their GOAT.

edit: Oh yeah, 'Survive horror', but you can buy and upgrade guns.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

It wernt baddd, but it wasnt the Resident evil I knew and loved. And mygod, I truly hated the QTE's

TpkGyZl.jpg

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Resident Evil 4 was awesome. Great atmosphere and changed up the formula for the better. Easily one of my most memorable gaming experiences.

5 and 6 were a case of them making the wrong assumptions about what made 4 good and taking the wrong elements too far.

I don't understand, are you saying RE7 was better than 2?

Cause that's a hard no from me. RE7 is barely an RE game. Few very loose connections.

I think they both did very different things. But ultimately RE2 Remake was better. RE does it best when it sticks to its very successful roots. RE4 really damaged that for quite a long time.

I think you mean the over the shoulder view rather than 3rd person. I agree. It’s a great game, but it lost the survival horror feel and became an action game. I would have preferred it be a different series. Personally, it would have been better if they went first person, like RE7.

Azurro

Banned
It's such an impactful and important game not just for the franchise but for the industry as well, I'm sure over 10 million copies sold and manages to have conversations about it some, what? 14 or 15 years after it came out?

So, no, it wasn't a misstep, it's a master piece of a game. :)

Just_one

thank god someone has the balls to point out how shitty RE4 is.

Last good RE game was RE3 and Codename Veronica.(taking out RE2 Remake that i loved and 3 that i havent played yet) Those still maintened the spirit of the original RE. 4 and beyond were nothing but action games with the RE name on it.

Best one forever will be RE2.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Going to third person was trash. RE4 turned the franchise into an action game for the next number of installments and they got progressively worse. Leading upto the cluster fuck that was RE6. Those design choices were all rooted in from the success of RE4.

Even RE3 remake while flawed was still better than RE4 as an RE installment.

Want proof? Compare how critically acclaimed RE2 remake and RE7 were. Even Remake went back to it's roots which every RE4 fan were suddenly making it out as the second coming and RE7 was a new step into exploring the psychological horror of the genre. Which what RE is meant to be by the way.... HORROR.

So yeah screw RE4. Good riddance to that history of Resident Evil.

Edit: Was RE4 a fun action game? Sure. Was it a good RE game? No way in hell.
haahahahahhahhahahahahahahhaaa you're a pleb

GlockSaint

Lol it had the perfect blend of action and horror. The sequels just tried to up the ante which is the big fault but it was incredible and I've played all the mainline games except re7

thank god someone has the balls to point out how shitty RE4 is.

Last good RE game was RE3 and Codename Veronica.(taking out RE2 Remake that i loved and 3 that i havent played yet) Those still maintened the spirit of the original RE. 4 and beyond were nothing but action games with the RE name on it.

Best one forever will be RE2.
Thanks. What's your take on RE7 design choices?

Sleepwalker

It was not and the current games are wildly superior than anything that came before gameplay wise. Re 0-3 gameplay design wouldn't hold up today and would be blasted if they were modern games.

Re 4 and Re 2 remake are the peak of the franchise.

Last edited:

Valt7786

It's a great, great action title. But its a terrible "Resident Evil" game and absolutely was a mistake. The Story, the characters (Except Leon and Ada, and even Leon isn't "Leon" anymore) and some of the enemies were just awful.

I really hope this RE 4 remake thats supposed to be in production is a proper follow up to 2 and 3. I want to actually see the downfall of Umbrella.

Soodanim

Resident Evil 4 was not a mistake.
Resident Evil 5 forcing co-op was a mistake.
Resident Evil 6 was a 500 person mistake.
Resident Evil 7 was (reportedly) not a mistake. (It's on my to-do list.)
Resident Evil 2 Remake was not a mistake. Made a couple mistakes, though.
Resident Evil 3 Remake was a mistake, but an enjoyable enough mistake.
Resident Evil Resistance was, to most, a mistake. Haven't tried it.

Capcom's mistake was releasing Outbreak a generation too early. Now it lives on in niche online communities based round patched Japanese copies in emulators, so here's hoping they remake it properly off Resistance's tech.

I still prefer classic Resident Evil overall, but Resident Evil 4 is one of my favourite games ever.

Free plug for Gemini Classic Rebirth, an ongoing one man project making 1, 2, and 3 on PC better in so many ways that I can't even list them all. Recent blog post has some upcoming stuff, it's impressive.

Last edited:

Jeeves

The mistake was forgetting the series' roots and making bad games afterwards trying to follow in 4's footsteps. There's nothing wrong with 4 itself though. They're allowed to make a different type of Resident Evil game here and there.

Top Bottom