• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Worlds |OT| Watch Your Step

Thx, any chance to test split screen co-op?

I will tonight when I play with my daughter. Kind of sad this doesn't have online multiplayer. Or if it does, I have no idea how to get to it.

That might be my biggest complaint about the game. The game doesn't tell you much or how to do it. Or once the game has told you something once, you'll never hear it again, and there's no place to look it up, as far as I can tell. I feel like I'm gonna need to google a lot of info for this game. Like how to kill zombies. I guess you just can't unless you have a certain weapon.

Glad the game is getting more attention with a switch release. My 5 year old and I loved it on PS4.

just not around these parts. That's come to be expected with the small amount of Minecraft talk. I do hope the Switch version helps the IP. I'd love to see further support, like modifiable controls.

Wil348

I will tonight when I play with my daughter. Kind of sad this doesn't have online multiplayer. Or if it does, I have no idea how to get to it.

Online multiplayer is coming in a post-launch patch, along with performance improvements.

I just got the Switch version today for 30 Euro. I only managed to play a tiny bit of handheld mode in the car because of Destiny 2 but so far it seems like a pretty good port.

moogrose

I'm mainly buying this to play with my daughter (who's almost 8) would be good to hear how you find the co-op...

Found some gameplay footage here (docked): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m7qgEEAAHo

I'm impressed. Footage from a few months ago showed a fluctuating framerate below 30, but this looks pretty smooth and the visuals are slick.

Is portable mode just as good - Lego City felt like it was primarily optimised for docked, and handheld suffered a bit.

Thanks for the impressions. I was hoping we'd see some before I bit the bullet...

Do you have any other versions you can compare to in terms of graphics and draw distance?
I have it on PC too because I'm a bit of a sucker. On PC, it definitely looks nicer, runs at 60 fps, and has much further draw distance running on my 980Ti, but I suspect I'll actually play it on Switch far more just for convenience. It's just not the sort of game I'll bother to boot up my PC to play all that much. Jumping in and out quickly with the Switch is more interesting to me. But your mileage may vary!

Man, I took my switch out and started playing this on my 10 minute break at work. Before I knew it, I had bee playing for 25 minutes. Whoops.

Oh, the Switch version does have some slowdown underwater.

Crazyorloco

I've spent a good amount of time with the game. I remember looking at the clock at 9:30pm and then didn't lift my head until 1:30am. This game has me hooked. I can't explain why, but I do find myself wanting to be more creative with building using legos instead of Minecrafts blocks. Also, the copying of structures or items is genius. I can literally make an awesome home, copy it and use it later if I want, without the hassle of rebuilding it.

Thank you so much for the impressions/images. This sounds great!

I'm mainly buying this to play with my daughter (who's almost 8) would be good to hear how you find the co-op...

Same here. Looking for more co-op experiences to share with my daughter.

ryushe

You'd probably be better of trying Dragon Quest Builders on PS4/PSV if you have the hardware. The sequel is coming out sometime in the future on Switch and PS4 ... and hopefully outside of Japan.
I absolutely love DQB and can't wait for the sequel.

2 player co-op works fine and is pretty fun. No hit in performance as far as I could tell. We played docked. I used the Pro Controller and my daughter the joycon grip.

21458024_1966989600244708_7499605971014340722_o.jpg

21316432_1966989660244702_8078269819043758918_o.jpg

21318924_1966989766911358_7672172097789155062_o.jpg

21318960_1966989843578017_8022482603743227805_o.jpg

choodi

Banned
Thanks for all the info and impressions. I think I'm pretty sold on this now, especially the co-op.

How do you think a soon-to-be five year old would handle the gameplay in co-op?

moogrose

Great, appreciate the impressions. I think we'll have to get this one... Those co-op shots look great!

Edit: Does it take long to get that Africa like biome? She's gonna love that.

Are Digital Foundry going to take a look at this one? I couldn't find anything on the original release of Lego Worlds so they could do PS4/One/Switch/PC.

deadfolk

So how does the campaign work? Is it a series of smaller hard-coded worlds with quests on each? Are the buildings you make in the campaign persistent in any way, or do you have to use sandbox for that?

So how does the campaign work? Is it a series of smaller hard-coded worlds with quests on each? Are the buildings you make in the campaign persistent in any way, or do you have to use sandbox for that?

Let me tell you how Adventure mode starts. You crash onto a tiny planet. You do a few fetch quests that teach you how to use one of your tools that allows you to discover and place items onto the woth world, and collect gold bricks that help you progress through the main unlocks, like bigger worlds and tools.

Once you've got enough gold bricks to fix your ship, you travel to the planet. Learn how to use the next tool, do quests based around that tool, get gold bricks, discover new content, move on to the next planet. Do this 1 or 2 more times and the game opens up and lets you procedurly generate smaller planets to get gold bricks, new items, weapons, structures, etc.

All the while, you are building up your catalog and unlocking new tools.

The Adventure mode is likely endless. The main difference I've seen from the Adventure Mode and Sandbox mode is that the sandbox mode has everything unlocked, but doesn't have the quests and galaxy traveling like the adventure mode.

All the while, you can spend time building stuff using the lego's you've unlocked.

Tip: Once you have the Copy/Paste tool, copy some cool stuff you find in the worlds you visit.

You can't delete the first three world. I tried.

I'm a couple of says in now and the quests are typically the same on each World, like a take a picture of this, paint that, build this, etc. It's up to you how deep you ant to go. If you are playing this game like a checklist open world game, I'd hate to say it, but you are playing it wrong. While collecting is important, is the discovery and exploration that are the games main goals. Also, I found my first dungeon. Was pretty cool. I'll post a few screen shots later. Full of Fire and spike traps, skeletons, Trolls and lava.

Putosaure

Intrigued by this game but not too creative in this type of games. I don't get Minecraft (I hate crafting) but I curiously liked DQ Builders...

deadfolk

Let me tell you how Adventure mode starts. You crash onto a tiny planet. You do a few fetch quests that teach you how to use one of your tools that allows you to discover and place items onto the woth world, and collect gold bricks that help you progress through the main unlocks, like bigger worlds and tools.

Once you've got enough gold bricks to fix your ship, you travel to the planet. Learn how to use the next tool, do quests based around that tool, get gold bricks, discover new content, move on to the next planet. Do this 1 or 2 more times and the game opens up and lets you procedurly generate smaller planets to get gold bricks, new items, weapons, structures, etc.

All the while, you are building up your catalog and unlocking new tools.

The Adventure mode is likely endless. The main difference I've seen from the Adventure Mode and Sandbox mode is that the sandbox mode has everything unlocked, but doesn't have the quests and galaxy traveling like the adventure mode.

All the while, you can spend time building stuff using the lego's you've unlocked.

Tip: Once you have the Copy/Paste tool, copy some cool stuff you find in the worlds you visit.

You can't delete the first three world. I tried.

I'm a couple of says in now and the quests are typically the same on each World, like a take a picture of this, paint that, build this, etc. It's up to you how deep you ant to go. If you are playing this game like a checklist open world game, I'd hate to say it, but you are playing it wrong. While collecting is important, is the discovery and exploration that are the games main goals. Also, I found my first dungeon. Was pretty cool. I'll post a few screen shots later. Full of Fire and spike traps, skeletons, Trolls and lava.

Thanks for the detailed write-up.

Sounds like it could be fun.

Bazry

20 minutes into the Switch version and I seem to have broke the game already. I got the plans for the pirate clock out of the chest, but when I tried to start building it the game crashed with a communication error. After reloading the plans are no longer in the open chest, nor are they in my inventory as that section is blacked out like before I got them the previous time

Wil348

After spending quite a bit of time with the Switch version, I feel I can give some proper impressions. Firstly, the game itself has improved a lot since it first launched back in March. No longer being forced to play Adventure Mode if I want to just build has made me appreciate Adventure Mode more, in fact, it's actually quite a nice thing to play on the Switch. The game is no Minecraft killer but it's still a fun thing to play in addition.

On the technical side of things, the only negative things I can think of are noticeable pop-in when in docked mode and framerate issues when underwater. Otherwise the game looks and runs great on the Switch which is impressive. I'm not sure if it's native resolution though, as the image quality in undocked mode is a bit soft.

After spending quite a bit of time with the Switch version, I feel I can give some proper impressions. Firstly, the game itself has improved a lot since it first launched back in March. No longer being forced to play Adventure Mode if I want to just build has made me appreciate Adventure Mode more, in fact, it's actually quite a nice thing to play on the Switch. The game is no Minecraft killer but it's still a fun thing to play in addition.

On the technical side of things, the only negative things I can think of are noticeable pop-in when in docked mode and framerate issues when underwater. Otherwise the game looks and runs great on the Switch which is impressive. I'm not sure if it's native resolution though, as the image quality in undocked mode is a bit soft.
Basically I completely agree with all of this. I will say however that the framerate underwater is absolutely terrible and needs to be addressed. I've definitely seen areas where it's around 10-15 fps, and it's not playable. That whole part of the game is basically non-functional. Hoping for a good patch to address this and the pop in.

Last question before purchase...do I need to buy another controller for co-op? Thanks in advance
Pretty sure you will need a second controller. Wouldn't work with a single joy con unfortunately.

choodi

Banned
One more question from me.

I think i would prefer to buy this digitally, but the physical version comes with the space dlc for the same price as the digital version.

Is the dlc worth it or should i just go digital for the extra convenience?

Putosaure

One more question from me.

I think i would prefer to buy this digitally, but the physical version comes with the space dlc for the same price as the digital version.

Is the dlc worth it or should i just go digital for the extra convenience?

Does it ? Physical version is supposed to cost 10*insert your currency here* because it has 2 DLC packs included (Space and Monsters)... which is weird because Space (the only DLC released yet) costs 3.99

Ouch. That's pretty rough.

As I've got the game now, this pop-in seems related to "random" objects added to the scenery on the fly. Like vehicles.
Game could seriously be improved though, in some envoronments it stays closer to 20 fps than 30. Too bad because it's a very pretty game.

choodi

Banned
Does it ? Physical version is supposed to cost 10*insert your currency here* because it has 2 DLC packs included (Space and Monsters)... which is weird because Space (the only DLC released yet) costs 3.99.

A couple of retailers here in Australia have introduced the physical version at a discounted price, so for the moment I can get it for same price as the digital version. (A$50 rather than A$60)

It seems like the kind of game that would be better to have digital rather than physical, but if the DLC is good...

Plus, I have fond memories of building space themed Lego as a child.

Edit: just found eShop cards for 15% off so looks like digital for me.

MouldyK

Reddit Thread Talking about an Upcoming Switch Update here:

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to swing by and offer a little update for you. We were due to have a patch come out this week to fix a few performance issues, the app icon (you've surely seen that by now on here) and include Online Multiplayer. We're still working on it because we found something we weren't happy with. I can't give you an exact date but I know a few people were asking so I wanted to make sure you knew. It shouldn't be too long. Plus we've also got another planned update coming this year worth keeping an eye out for (including Monsters DLC release for those who bought the game in a store and want to pick it up digitally). More on that soon!

Thanks! ttcrose

tbhysgb

Just bought it yesterday. First time playing so it's all new but I like it. It needs improvements but the Devs seem like they're on board with supporting it.

Putosaure

Report for those on the fence or interested in buying the game.

First of all, I don't like Minecraft (the crafting part annoys me, gathering materials for tools is a hassle for me) BUT I'm kinda hooked at LEGO Worlds. Graphics are really nice and the little missions are repetitive but amusing. I love to explore and find caves and stuff. I'm still not good at building stuff, but when I'll get more parts I might give it a try.

Performance is pretty average, sometimes good and sometimes bad (~15 fps). It's smoother on handheld mode, but far from perfect. Switch is pushing close to 1080p in docked mode, while it's closer to 540p undocked. Draw distance is sometimes really poor, but it has been less annoying to me than framerate to be honest. It can get distracting when you're in a cave or a dungeon and in the distance the shadows and light shading is not fully displayed.

Overall I'm having fun and I hope the developers will focus on performance rather than improving draw distance. They should drop resolution on docked mode.
Can't wait to check the Online thing after the patch !

Putosaure

Patch is up, with a new icon.

Some changes I noted :
• Framerate is dramatically improved. I've been having an almost rock solid 30fps refresh rate. Under water is now 30fps too. There is just a little stutter when going out of water to the ground.
• Resolution is lower. On both handheld and docked. On handeld it was already around 540p, but now it seems softer. On docked mode it might have dropped around 720p, judging by the aliasing of the landscape in the distance.
• Draw distance is still terrible, if not worse. Landscape seems to take longer to fully render the blocks, and object pop-in is still abysmal. There's still this issue when, in caves, you can see parts with sunlight getting replaced by correct lighting as you get close to it.
• Loading screen is changed, it doesn't launch the "spaceship" loading screen until aroun 40% loading.
• Online seems with friends only, at least that's what I thought because it only showed me my friend list when trying to join a new online game. Maybe it's too soon. Oh, and it's two players only too.

I was going to say it didn't look to pretty, I'm guessing its that Draw Distance.

PS: Is this basically a Lego Minecraft or what? I'm semi confused by it.

Putosaure

I was going to say it didn't look to pretty, I'm guessing its that Draw Distance.

PS: Is this basically a Lego Minecraft or what? I'm semi confused by it.

Without the Survival Mode, almost. There is a lot of things already built, it's really like a game of physical Lego bricks.

On the topic of the latest patch, after further tests, the draw distance is now so low that sometimes the scenery just pop or vanish in front of the player. Atrocious. On some maps the framerate is still terrible. Less playable than before.

Sorry I stopped posting in here. I put the game down, as I wanted to wait for a patch for the performance and for the online multiplayer. When I got home from work last night, I saw the game was updated as soon as I got home. The icon has been updated to a much better one, the games performance has drastically improved. Way less hits to the framerate, especially underwater.

And most importantly, online multiplayer was patched in. I tried with my daughter (we both have copies of the game) and it worked great.

I think this is a great port to have on this type of system.

What happens when the stuff in download to build after the time out date?

Looking at maybe buying this for the ninjago stuff. But the stuff I have read online says available until 9th November.

Wil348

What happens when the stuff in download to build after the time out date?

Looking at maybe buying this for the ninjago stuff. But the stuff I have read online says available until 9th November.

Going by past downloadable brick builds, they just flat out become unavailable. If you want the Ninjago content, you will need to buy it by the 9th of November.

Top Bottom