• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Worlds |OT| Watch Your Step

Krakn3Dfx

lego-worlds-logo.png

Official Thread

slide-00.jpg

UPYSwxB.jpg

What Is Lego Worlds?
(From Wiki)
Lego Worlds is a sandbox video game which allows players to build a world made up of Lego bricks. The player is rewarded for collecting objects spread across the map with "studs", an in-game currency. The player can then build using the items they have encountered. Players can create their own world by using predefined Lego structures or using the "brick-by-brick editor tool". Players' appearances and outfits are also customizable in the game. Terrain and environment can be modified via landscaping tools. A variety of vehicles, such as helicopters, and creatures are also featured in the game. A multiplayer option and features for world-sharing are set to be added to the game through later updates.

Developer(s): Traveller's Tales
Publisher(s): Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch (announced)
Release Date: March 7, 2017 on Windows, PS4, and XB1, Switch tba
Metacritic: 72 on PC and XB1, 69 on PS4

(attributed to list from BricksToLife.com)

Astronaut – Starter Character
Intergalactic Girl – Starter Character
Frontier Woman
Frontier Man
Villager Woman
Village Male
LEGO City Female
LEGO City Male
Explorer
Christina Hydron
Heroic Knight
Evil Knight
Viking Woman
Warlock
Skeleton
Troll Warrior
Troll King
Troll Queen
King
Queen
Lion Princess
Dan Brickman
Helen Stone
Forest Man
Forest Maiden
Cyclops
Lady Cyclops
Artic Explorer
Swamp Creature
Major Quinton Steele
Ann Lee
Ghost
Mummy
Mac McCloud
Mummy Warrior
Anubis Guard
Egyptian Queen
Wacky Witch
Gingerbread Man
Constable
Paleontologist
Dino Girl
Minotaur
RockerGirl
Warrior Woman
Surfer Girl
Scientist
Caveman
Cavewoman
Climber
Deep Sea Diver
Scuba Diver
Farmer (Beard)
Farmer
Fisherman
Volcano Explorer
Volcano Explorer (Beard)
Astronomer
Chemist
Research Pal
Prospector
Cowboy
Cowgirl
Outlaw
Sheriff
Pirate Princess
Pirate Lady
Pirate Captain
Paintball Player
Police Officer
Police Officer (Serious)
Robber
Robber (Stubble)
Skater Girl
Vampire
Werewolf
Square Foot
Spooky Girl
Spider Lady
Scarecrow
Yeti
Motorcycle Mechanic
Jewel Thief
Samurai
Zombie
Zombie Businessman
Zombie Cheerleader
Zombie Pirate
Boy
Girl
Police A
Police C
Robber A
Robber B
Builder A
Builder B
Builder C
Builder D
Agent Chase – DLC
Agent Trace – DLC
Dyno-Mite – DLC
Inferno – DLC

(attributed to list from BricksToLife.com)

Crystal Crags - A wonderful land of glowing rock faces and crystals for you to explore!
Curious Canyon - Towering rock formations and bleak dusty terrain await you!
Dessert Desert - A candy covered wonderland full of wild sweets!
Dusty Dunes - Explore the pyramids and ancient ruins in this sandy world!
Falling Forrest - Autumn is upon us in this colorful leafy world!
Fantasy Forrest - Wildlife and medieval fancy can be found deep in this forrest!
Fearsome Frontier - Hitch up your wagon and get ready to head out to the Wild West!
Fungus Forrest - Hop from one giant mushroom to the next in this whimsical colorful mushroom land.
Junkyard Jungle - Things are a little messy surrounded by this big pile of junk!
Lawless Lagoon - A spooky lagoon full of twisted trees and monstrous creatures!
Merry Meadows - Head down to the farm and get ready to get dirty!
Ornamental Orchard - Beautiful pink petals fall in this tranquil and peaceful forrest.
Perilous Peaks - Tall mountains with steep sides and snowy caps await you here!
Playful Prairie - Wide open grassy fields filled with exotic savannah animals!
Polar Plains - Take the plunge in these icy waters and snowy hills surrounded by Polar Bears!
Rowdy Rainforest - A wild safari filled with tropical animals and plant life!
Submerged Secrets - The deep blue ocean has lots of treasures for you to find from sunken ships to coral reefs!
Watchful Wilderness - Tall trees tower over the grassy ground and hilly terrain.
Weird Wood - Don’t get too scared in this dark and mysterious forest filled with magical elements.
Whispering Woodland - A simple forrest world filled with flowers, trees, stumps and creatures.
Wicked Wasteland - Hot lava and volcanoes await you in this desolate scary world.

15 Things To Know Before You Buy Lego Worlds

Lego Metal Gear Solid

Giant Bomb Quicklook

Image Gallery

5C1CE7FE23737F25B516369D5A9B70FF773F5042
A5DBDD896D0BB1C00BCC07572896EC8A0A4AF340
1281373812910314341.gif

Skyzard

Banned
I watched the GB quick look of this earlier and it actually looked alright. Dan seemed to quite like it.

Krakn3Dfx

I watched the GB quick look of this earlier and it actually looked alright. Dan seemed to quite like it.

I put around 7 hours into it this weekend after buying into Early Access when it first launched and being unimpressed. They've really turned the game around IMO, I had a ton of fun with it. Even on the PC, it has a fair amount of jank, and I've heard of problems with performance and save corruption on consoles, but I'm playing on PC and I'm loving it overall. The deformation and building tools are a lot of fun, and the differences in the world biomes are pretty different.

Hopefully they'll continue to add content and fix up some of the bigger problems with it. It's $20 on consoles on Amazon right now and cdkeys has it for $12 and some change for PC, and I think it's totally worth that for the amount of content the game has.

ReaperXL7

Me and my daughter have put a huge amount of time into this already, it's pretty awesome to finally see a great Lego game built around regular Lego sets and not be some movie tie in or cross promo thing.

It's starts out pretty simple (the gameplay is somewhat standard Lego) but there are so many little hidden secrets and features that pop up even really late into the game that it pretty consistently surprised me.

My daughter has said numerous times that this is her favorite Lego game and I'm pretty sure I agree. It brings many of the things you probably like about Lego games and adds the primary thing that just about all of them lack which is the creative aspect.

It's not always the most stable game, but it was never so bad as to be unplayable.

enewtabie

The game looks great on my pc and plays well,but I have some issues with either the camera or my usage of the mouse to build things. I need to play it some more,but I was having some difficulty getting the pieces to line up. Probably just need to get more practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT52wacg2RY

Since Dimensions is done, it seems they could put in licensed sets and characters to expand the game. It would effect the toys to life since that's over.

Picked the game up and played online co op with a friend. I'm not sure what there is to do now that we unlocked all the tools. Do we just build? A lot of the game is unexplained and the map is awful.

My discovery tool is broken! I used to be able to spawn limitless items without going in to the menu. Now I have to select the item each time. Any suggestions?

Man, this flew under my radar. I think I'm in, just don't know for what platform. Playing solo, is it fun? I'm thinking PS4 at this point.

Wil348

I bought this on PS4 last month after playing it on PC in early access and I didn't find it to be very fun. I enjoyed it in early access because of the building mechanics but now....it just isn't fun to play. The progression system is just repetitive and boring, and it's not like Minecraft where you can stick yourself into creative. If you want to build something substantial, you're going to need to collect a lot of bricks, which you don't find nearly often enough. This is by far my biggest issue with the game, and is what killed it for me. It's a shame because the creation tools are great and give you more options than Minecraft does.

Then there are the technical issues (on PS4 anyway). The framerate is very rough when you start reaching the larger worlds, and splitscreen tanks it. The draw distance is absolutely awful, and sometimes the world will stop streaming geometry in so you're just kind of stuck at an invisible wall with the rest of your race track or town missing for a good few seconds. The game has crashed on me many times too. I'm not sure how it is on the Pro, as I'm not even sure it has a Pro mode (I know Lego City definitely didn't).

Overall, this was really disappointing, as it could have been a very decent competitor to Minecraft. However, it just made me want to go back to Minecraft instead. If you are on the fence, I would advise either waiting and seeing if they address the issues with the game, or just skip it entirely.

Got this the other day, and have been enjoying it, for most part.

I enjoyed the exploring and collecting, but after visiting several worlds, they began to come across all the same. There is no real variety.

Towns are all the same, consisting of the same several houses, toy shop, etc.

Also, no Ninjas to go with my
Black Katana
???

*disappointed gif*

I hit
Master Builder
rank and it seems chests no longer drop Brick Builds. I dug for and opened over 100 chests and got 3 or 4 normal lego pieces. The rest just gave me studs.

I was hoping for way more builds like..

Fire Stations, Docks, Cranes, Airports, etc

Might hunt down some instruction guides online and see if i can build anything from retail sets in the game :p

Also, I spent hours today trying to get
Spooky Girl and Spider Lady
with no luck. I found them, but they never gave me quests to unlock them. I went to a few different worlds and no luck. Grrr >.<

Running it on PS4 Pro and it runs ok. Sometimes when flying I would have to stop and wait for the world to continue to load. Sometimes it got bad and i had to wait like 20 seconds, and the world generally will still load in front of me as i fly.

Philia

LTTP! We've been sitting on this rental for weeks (I finally finished Witcher 3) so I finally fired this up. What a breather this game is. Its freshing and I really enjoyed it!

Its a very strong cross like of No Man's Sky and Minecraft combined into this LEGO game. I especially loved Minecraft, so finding all those chests in the caverns was a blast. I hated how barren No Man's Sky was but LEGO Worlds is very promising in diversity so I can be satisfy with that. Heck there's SO much to discover!

Wag

Anyone still playing this? It can be had on sale for $10 for the PC at times. I'm not one for MMOs but at that price it looks fun.

Ashtar

I bought this on PS4 last month after playing it on PC in early access and I didn't find it to be very fun. I enjoyed it in early access because of the building mechanics but now....it just isn't fun to play. The progression system is just repetitive and boring, and it's not like Minecraft where you can stick yourself into creative. If you want to build something substantial, you're going to need to collect a lot of bricks, which you don't find nearly often enough. This is by far my biggest issue with the game, and is what killed it for me. It's a shame because the creation tools are great and give you more options than Minecraft does.

Then there are the technical issues (on PS4 anyway). The framerate is very rough when you start reaching the larger worlds, and splitscreen tanks it. The draw distance is absolutely awful, and sometimes the world will stop streaming geometry in so you're just kind of stuck at an invisible wall with the rest of your race track or town missing for a good few seconds. The game has crashed on me many times too. I'm not sure how it is on the Pro, as I'm not even sure it has a Pro mode (I know Lego City definitely didn't).

Overall, this was really disappointing, as it could have been a very decent competitor to Minecraft. However, it just made me want to go back to Minecraft instead. If you are on the fence, I would advise either waiting and seeing if they address the issues with the game, or just skip it entirely.
Thanks for the review, I was thinking of picking it up on PS4 but I guess I'll pass if the performance is terrible and the progress is stagnant
How is the building on console ?

Blizzard

Banned
A $4 USD classic space pack is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGybiz4B894

Those are some of the first sets I ever played with. I'm weak so I grabbed it.

There's also a huge patch out today. From the Steam patch notes:

Today we’re pushing Title Update 2 live and there’s *LOADS* of new fixes and features - here’s a few highlights…

- Drop-in and Drop-out delay issues resolved.
- Fixed issue where custom worlds occasionally have no life.
- Improved Landscape Tool Performance.
- Undo/Redo no longer re-draws invisible collision where doors and windows once stood.
- Improved ability to move and delete within Free-Build.
- Manually placed buildings fixtures will now remove correctly using Undo.
- Musical Instruments now play correctly online (players can hear all instruments).
- Able to undo/redo all placed brick builds.
- Fixed missing VFX for Online Game host.
- Online performance improvements on all formats.
- The Skateboard is now back and correctly functions.
- Shadows improved on lower quality PC settings.
- XBO – No longer required to select language on boot.
- XBO - Instances of not being taken to online game despite accepting invite fixed.
- PC – Players now able to join another online game without needing to manually exit current one.
- Troublemaker spawn logic updated.
- Quest fixes – Some Characters or Creatures Quests requiring player to return later are now fixed. Some that appeared empty are fixed. Quest Zones less likely to move underground.
- Agents Content added to XB1 and PC.
- Improved SaveData slot speeds. Prevents potential data loss.
- Fixed issue with Audio continuing to play after Brick and Brick Build placement.
- Improved Terrain Draw speeds and Dungeon Draw Speeds.
- Fixed online issue where Client would freeze at 98% loading.
- Multiple Localisation fixes: Button overlap. Icon Missing. Text overflow. Grammar and Spelling.
- Multiple UI updates to Galaxy Map.
- Brick Build Showcase content refreshed for new themes
- Turrets will now remain in correct places when placing custom Brick Builds.
- Landscape tool no longer moves placed props along Y-Axis when adding Terrain.
- PC - Tools Cursors can be set to same size on Controller as Mouse & Keyboard
- Chests no longer on edge of the world facing out to the void.
- Fixed instances where newly discovered props sometimes have no clear price in the menus.
- PC – Mouse cursor is now hidden when using Controller on Player 1
- PC - Can now move the Copy Tool bounding box up and down with Keyboard
- Fixed instances where Quest chains would not spawn if you already owned certain reward items.
- The 1x2 Grill Brick now has the correct numbers of Grills!
- The 1x4 Sliding Piece now has the correct top!
- The 4x4 Round Brick has correct studs!
- The 2x6 Brick with Bow underside texture corrected!
- The 2x2 Grooved Brick has underside texture corrected!
- PC – Now able to join Online games whilst using Steam Big Picture mode.
- Showcase items not correctly saving now fixed.
- Added ability to quickly return to Pug-Z.
- Updated Master Builder Rank Badges.

Sweet! This is still my favorite Lego game ever and a great chill out game. I wish they'd just release licensed properties in it instead of Dimensions.

I don't even build that much, I like just collecting and screwing around.

Still racking up legendary coordinates.

Ashtar

Does the game run at 60fps (single player) on the PS4 or PS4 Pro?
Not a frame watcher but I'm pretty sure it's not
I just picked this up today was playing coop with my wife pretty fun so far we went to 3 worlds and got stuck while I was on the phone

I bought this when it first showed up on steam a couple of years ago, played it for like 20 minutes, and legit backed away in horror. The ui and controls and everything felt janky and half-finished.

I finally gave it another shot and it's a completely different game now. So far the tutorials are kind of boring and annoying, but I'm going to push through them because I have a feeling the sandbox part is going to be really cool.

This is motivating me to go back through my steam list and try all of the other broken and half-finished games I bought during the first year of Early Access. I also vaguely remember playing 20 minutes of a snowboarding game, 20 minutes of Starbound, 20 minutes of some game where the entire point was to get a truck stuck in the mud and then get the truck out of the mud, American Truck Simulator. Jesus, maybe Star Citizen will even run on my PC now.

Anyone know if they managed to fix the issues with the PC version? There was a lot of menu stuff, especially when changing worlds, that just didn't work

Wildo09

Lego Worlds was released this year? Why does it feel like it was released ages ago, around the time of the first amiibos?

Edit: I was thinking of Lego Dimensions.

Very quick undocked impressions - runs smooth at 30 fps (though I haven't taxed the game yet), but resolution is almost certainly sub-native and view distance is not great. Understandably doesn't compare well to the PC version, but I doubt anyone was expecting that.

The important thing is the game is fun and is a great little pick up and play title. I'll try to play in docked mode later and report back.

Very quick undocked impressions - runs smooth at 30 fps (though I haven't taxed the game yet), but resolution is almost certainly sub-native and view distance is not great. Understandably doesn't compare well to the PC version, but I doubt anyone was expecting that.

The important thing is the game is fun and is a great little pick up and play title. I'll try to play in docked mode later and report back.

This. Here are some very early screens from the Adventure Mode.

21366726_1966495503627451_8298881447094953535_o.jpg

21457768_1966495426960792_4623791058632911320_o.jpg

21427162_1966495360294132_7750996919045288568_o.jpg

21273731_1966495290294139_1259651742190281954_o.jpg

21316183_1966495220294146_8415587181492648848_o.jpg

The game looks better than the compressed facebook images would have you believe, but this was the quickest way for me to post my screenshots.

Resolution is much better in docked mode, to no one's surprise. Everything looks much sharper and the lighting is really nice.

However, the really short draw distance for larger items is really apparent on the big screen unfortunately. Some slowdown when there's a lot going on or you're spinning the camera. All in all it seems like a decent port.

OmegaFax

Couldn't get into Minecraft due to me not being creative. Any shot I'd like this?

You'd probably be better of trying Dragon Quest Builders on PS4/PSV if you have the hardware. The sequel is coming out sometime in the future on Switch and PS4 ... and hopefully outside of Japan.

I can confirm that the resolution is much higher when the switch is docked. You do notice the not so good draw distance more when docked.

You can see the resolution jump by comparing my earlier screenshots with my most recent, just by seeing the different location of the HUD.

I feel like I'm talking to myself, lol. I'll post some more impressions.

I've spent a good amount of time with the game. I remember looking at the clock at 9:30pm and then didn't lift my head until 1:30am. This game has me hooked. I can't explain why, but I do find myself wanting to be more creative with building using legos instead of Minecrafts blocks. Also, the copying of structures or items is genius. I can literally make an awesome home, copy it and use it later if I want, without the hassle of rebuilding it.

The game is pretty cool, but has a learning curve with the controls. For example, the ZL & ZR are used to zoom in and out the camera. This threw off the Minecraft gamer in me. It does however play like a Lego game.

The visuals are ok. Obviously it's not going to compete with the big boys, as this game is likely CPU heavy with it's many blocks. The undocked mode takes a resolution hit and runs at a steady 30fps. The image is a tad softer than Mario + Rabbids. Docked mode, the resolution is much better, probably 900p+.

But once you're knee deep in the game, the visual limitations fade away and you feel like you're really in Lego Worlds. The Wordls seem pretty small, at least starting off in Adventure mode. I just want to keep collecting the gold bricks, discovering new items to build, finishing simple like quests to unlock character models, catch those little green dudes, and just explore.

It's always fun visiting a new biome for the first time and seeing what new stuff you can find. I just got to my first desert World. Lots of cool new critters like scorpions and snakes.

All in all, if you like Legos, like to be creative, explore, collect, and just put your feet up and play a simple game, this is the game for you.

moogrose

Thanks for the impressions. I was hoping we'd see some before I bit the bullet...

Do you have any other versions you can compare to in terms of graphics and draw distance?

Top Bottom