• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leave me alone, I just want to play computer games

Living through the age where playing games was considered bad, wrong and socially unacceptable. Where you were labelled a nerd, geek or fat basement dwelling virgin. None of that bothered me because I could warm up the old Radiation King and play some games or call people a homo online.

Now? I don't know how much more political shit in games I can take. The sjw shit was bad enough but politics and social whatevers dictating my hobby? It leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Sure, you can say ignore it, but it's become so ingrained in forums, the Internet, games and game discussions that at some point you have to think where you make a personal stand because it won't get better from here, just worse.

Is It time to put gaming to bed and remember it fondly? To die the hero or live long enough to see ging become the villain?

Leave me alone I just want to play video games

Kuranghi

Nah, just play games while you wait for whatever is bothering you to be over. I have like 100 games I want to play that I can remember, I could probably be reminded of 1000 more by people here. I'm taking a step back from "News" for a week, just gonna focus on having fun, maybe even go outside and sit in the sun.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Living through the age where playing games was considered bad, wrong and socially unacceptable. Where you were labelled a nerd, geek or fat basement dwelling virgin. None of that bothered me because I could warm up the old Radiation King and play some games or call people a homo online.

Now? I don't know how much more political shit in games I can take. The sjw shit was bad enough but politics and social whatevers dictating my hobby? It leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Sure, you can say ignore it, but it's become so ingrained in forums, the Internet, games and game discussions that at some point you have to think where you make a personal stand because it won't get better from here, just worse.
Exposition to set up context

Is It time to put gaming to bed and remember it fondly? To die the hero or live long enough to see ging become the villain?
Question posed to your audience

Thanks, captain obvious. Got any more corking advice to share?
I mean you're the one posting threads asking people of a hobby if you should continue doing said shared hobby

I answered your question, if you feel it's so out of place, don't snipe back at me, just report and move on, right?

Thanks, captain obvious. Got any more corking advice to share?
Sure, I do.

Shut up. It’s entirely possible to continue to enjoy games and gaming without the politics or what ever other BS in the world you’re looking to ignore/hide from but I’m presuming cause the PS reveal got knocked back you’re a bit salty about it. If you were ever really going to stop gaming you’d just do it, you wouldn’t be posting lame shit on GAF meekly hoping we’ll “talk you out of it”.

Literally what is stopping you from continuing to play games right now.

That he is fed up with leftist agenda in video games and that it was better in ye olde times. So I am just saying, that he is hardly alone and he should get off the Twitter, don't buy The Last of US II and that's pretty much how to avoid the drama.
I'm not in social media. I don't watch the news. I come to gaf, check my emails. That's me doing the Internet rounds.

I still can't escape it though.

When people used to talk about fashion or trends I would switch off to them and switch on the ye olde Dreamcast, total escapism.

Even on the console dashboards and games themselves, it's getting worse. I see a worrying downward trend and I wonder at what point will I jump off the ride. Now? Next week? Next year?

Exposition to set up context

Question posed to your audience

I mean you're the one posting threads asking people of a hobby if you should continue doing said shared hobby

I answered your question, if you feel it's so out of place, don't snipe back at me, just report and move on, right?
If I had have reported you, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of this engagement. 🤷‍♂️

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm not in social media. I don't watch the news. I come to gaf, check my emails. That's me doing the Internet rounds.

When people used to talk about fashion or trends I would switch off to them and switch on the ye olde Dreamcast, total escapism.

Even on the console dashboards and games themselves, it's getting worse. I see a worrying downward trend and I wonder at what point will I jump off the ride. Now? Next week? Next year?
Hmm so probably don't watch the interviews and play the right games, because it's clearly not healthy for you. Besides, I think a lot of games allow for the total escapism. It seems like even GAF taking it's toll on you. I wish I could escape to my games as I've used to, but my brain thinking about millions times at ones and it's very distracting.

Sure, I do.

Shut up. It’s entirely possible to continue to enjoy games and gaming without the politics or what ever other BS in the world you’re looking to ignore/hide from but I’m presuming cause the PS reveal got knocked back you’re a bit salty about it. If you were ever really going to stop gaming you’d just do it, you wouldn’t be posting lame shit on GAF meekly hoping we’ll “talk you out of it”.

Literally what is stopping you from continuing to play games right now.
Check this guy out, throwing his dick around and trying to call the shots 😂

Unlike you I'm a big boy and don't need talking out of anything.

I'm outside at the moment, enjoying the sun and nature. Though why I'm on gaf at the same time is concerning....

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

What "ride" are you on?

It sounds like you're already cozy returning to old games and replaying them. Why not spend more time there and less time on new stuff?

Or do you feel like you'd be Missing Out™ on newest stuff?

Last edited:
lots of devs just wanna make cool shit, especially the indie space

it's sorta a collectivist industry tho, polymaths are crushed and buried in their own blood

I bought a pc a few years back, and I maxed that sucker out so I could play games in 1400p ultra. She can still max out most games a few years later, yet 95% of my gaming library and time has been lil indie titles.
I'll upgrade again when Squadron 42 is released in 2027.

What "ride" are you on?

It sounds like you're already cozy returning to old games and replaying them. Why not spend more time there and less time on new stuff?

Or do you feel like you'd be Missing Out™ on newest stuff?
I'm a majority gamepass gamer, with the odd exception like divinity that I'll buy day one. I don't buy games day one because its just not worth it anymore with the season pass, downloads, DLC and bugs. May as well wait a year and get it for free.

The ride of "all good things must come to an end" and from the replies in here, it sounds like the majority want to Bury their head in the sand or see no problem. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder how guys in their 50s made it through this long?

Imagine being so young homo was the slur when you were younger instead of using the universal applicable f-word. (As in British for a cigarette, not the bad version of fudge.)
It was the f word and not homo but I didn't want to put the f word...

This is fucking stupid. I can't even talk on the fucking Internet anymore. N word, c word, f word.

Sick of it.

DelireMan7

I don't get it. If you like gaming, Game ! If not anymore find something else.

I never got the new trend of SJW/anti-SJW war and others politics discussion in gaming.

I play old and new games, still enjoying my time in these virtual worlds/stories.

I have the feeling some overthink and analyse everything to find some "hidden political message".

Makariel

tenor.gif

Leave me alone I just want to play video games
I think you spend too much time on forums like this one here if you see politics and "SJW's" everywhere.
Just go and play games and everything will be alright.

Makariel

I never got the new trend of SJW/anti-SJW war and others politics discussion in gaming.
Yeah good luck with that. There's a politics-section in this forum, but yet there is this constant drip-feed of fake outcry after fake outcry alternating between SJW and AWB in the gaming section.
Yet here you are on neogaf
Which is still (in theory) a gaming forum. If you want to discuss politics, why not head over to a politics forum? Or twitter?

REE Machine

Banned
Games had politics in them for ages you prb just didnt notice because it could have been something you agree with.

Also what fucks me up about these arguments is you have people who say
"Fuck you, dont censor my games, fuck censorship"

yet then you have the same people who want to censor devs from their creative freedom etc and not allow them to make the game they want.
Seriously people pick a side alredy which one do you want?

im for no censoring of any kind im also for creative freedom. Hell if someone made a game where Trump is a good guy called the obese of us, as long as its well written with good characters, development and gameplay, ill play that shit

Mr Hyde

I just turn off the noise and play the games that interest me. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm also more worried about anti consumer practices, such as mtx, unfinished games, publishers screwing us over for every nickle and dime, than political themes and social commentary in a game. Let developers create what they want, if it doesn't suit you, move along. Plenty of fish in the sea to explore.

Last edited:

INC

Yeah good luck with that. There's a politics-section in this forum, but yet there is this constant drip-feed of fake outcry after fake outcry alternating between SJW and AWB in the gaming section.

Which is still (in theory) a gaming forum. If you want to discuss politics, why not head over to a politics forum? Or twitter?

Yes this is true, sorry dude

DelireMan7

Yes I have seen many thread like that but I am always confused. I don't know if people are serious about it or it's just one of internet's running joke.

But whatever, I stay away from it and enjoy my games:)

I just turn off the noise and play the games that interest me. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm also more worried about anti consumer practices, such as mtx, unfinished games, publishers screwing us over for every nickle and dime, than political themes and social commentary in a game. Let developers create what they want, if it doesn't suit you, move along. Plenty of fish in the sea to explore.

It's not the content in games that bothers me because, as you say, there's plenty more fish in the sea and with gamepass, there's more fish than there has ever been!

I'm not even arsed about politics in video games themselves, some of my favourite games had under-tones of politics and some were based purely on war and politics (Command and Conquer).

It's more that, there used to be a time, where one was spoiled for choice in regards to gaming discussion on the tinterwebs. You had, IGN, N4G, Reddit, Gaf, Teamxbox and more that I can't remember or ever went to.

I suppose the solution is no more internet. It wouldn't be too bad, what with E3 cancelled and the next-gen been pushed in to next year.

Top Bottom