• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, I had gaming "eureka moment" while playing Witcher 3: I hate story-driven games! Am I alone with it?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
There is a similar thread, touching the subject: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/do-y...n-games-or-mechanic-driven-games-why.1655953/
But I still think it is worth to start the new one.

I do like Witcher 3, and I like all the modules of gameplay, like upgrading gear, exploration, combat, gwent with collecting all cards, the fantastic world that feels alive etc.

But today I ran into an issue, when I tried to play the gwent with one guy in Skelige, and instead of just starting conversation and choose the option to play gwent, I was forced to watch the cycle of cut-scenes and begin the obligatory mission.
It was frustrating, so I asked myself: why am I frustrated playing a video game, which should be by definition leisure time and entertainment?

And the answer is: though I play a lot of story driven games, the story is like a background for me, that has only one purpose - to justify all the gameplay mechanics.
You know what I mean? In other words, all the story elements, make me feel I am part of the real world, so for example, chasing some alchemy ingredient to make better potion, is justified.

I started this thread, to see if I am not alone in these feelings, or I have some issues and need to change a hobby.

Putting you on ignore and lighting candles as I pray.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I had this with the Yakuza series, I just can't anymore.

- copy pasted assets and Kamurocho for 15+ years now.

- Battle system is still archaic from the PS2 era (haven't played the turn based one).

- same bullshit melodrama

Played 1, 2 (back in the day), 3, 4, Zero (loved it) but I drew the line trying to finish 5 (via hd remaster on Gamepass), I was just not having fun anymore with this shitty dated formula.

Liked most of the entries but... retrospectively, I think that it's a way overrated franchise in the end.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Witcher Contracts IMO are the meat of the game. Story overall was forgettable to me. It was all one big fetch quest ironically. Had tons of fun via sidequests and exploring more then anything.

If they make a Witcher 4 I hope you play as your own Witcher and it's about making name for yourself as a Monster that kills/talk no jutsus other Monsters.

Codes 208

I dont hate story driven games, i just hate boring games that take their stories too seriously.

The more recent pokemon games, 1887 and tlou in particular come to mind

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m exactly the same. There have only ever been a handful of games that actually had a decent story imo. TLoU, BG3, and Mass Effect 1 all had fantastic stories. But for the life of me I can’t think of a fourth game where the story was what was driving me to completion.

twilo99

I've always enjoyed multiplayer games way more than any single player/story driven games.. it usually feels like a waste of time, unless is some sort of a puzzle game like cocoon or tetris. Starfield was the first single player game in a very long time that had me excited about that kinda of thing

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

It's a strong possibility OP. :messenger_beaming:

Jokes aside, I like stories for framework and games with a general sense of direction (beginning, middle, and end). There are some "games" that really overdo it though, where you've got half or more of your play time is just watching it. The perfect amount for me is more the 360 era style (think the 360 TR games, hitman, etc.), give me a setup for each level and maybe setup a plot point here and there but mostly just let me play the level out.

Humdinger

I need some story to feel engaged, but I've grown tired of the Sony type movie game, where you have 8 hours of cinematics -- the problem being compounded by the fact that the movies in these movie games are usually pretty lame. I don't have the patience to sit quietly on my couch, controller at my side, watching the equivalent of 4 or 5 mediocre animated movies, while I'm supposedly playing a videogame.

Yes, I need some story and characters to give context and motivation, but keep it succinct and simple, please. There is so much bloat in games, and this is part of it.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is a similar thread, touching the subject: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/do-y...n-games-or-mechanic-driven-games-why.1655953/
But I still think it is worth to start the new one.

I do like Witcher 3, and I like all the modules of gameplay, like upgrading gear, exploration, combat, gwent with collecting all cards, the fantastic world that feels alive etc.

But today I ran into an issue, when I tried to play the gwent with one guy in Skelige, and instead of just starting conversation and choose the option to play gwent, I was forced to watch the cycle of cut-scenes and begin the obligatory mission.
It was frustrating, so I asked myself: why am I frustrated playing a video game, which should be by definition leisure time and entertainment?

And the answer is: though I play a lot of story driven games, the story is like a background for me, that has only one purpose - to justify all the gameplay mechanics.
You know what I mean? In other words, all the story elements, make me feel I am part of the real world, so for example, chasing some alchemy ingredient to make better potion, is justified.

I started this thread, to see if I am not alone in these feelings, or I have some issues and need to change a hobby.

You have issues. Don't change your hobby, just play less story driven games.

Mozzarella

Story alone is not enough to some people, i know a lot of great story-driven game where nobody cares about them.
Presentation matters. Production values matter, and the soundtrack and the art direction can sell the game better.

Hearts of Stone is so great because the story is good but also the presentation and the directing are also excellent, so the whole package feels like a movie.
You have a lot of story-driven games where the story is mediocre but the presentation do a lot of work, and then you have a story that is mediocre but the presentation is shit so the game is a lot worse for it.

As for the question.
I'm more open minded when it comes to this, i can enjoy gameplay-driven and story-driven games. I also can enjoy games without either gameplay or story, sometimes its just the atmosphere, like Amnesia TDD, the story is there, but its not that focused or deep, the gameplay is there but its not that mechanical or deep, yet the game is one of my favorite games, because it did something very right, VERY and thats the atmosphere.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I thought Witcher 3 was one of the best made games of its time, but I also one of the most boring games of its time. I just could not connect with the story. I've tried to play it multiple times but it's just not for me. TLOU2 also. Love the gameplay, but hated the way the story played out. More and more I'm losing interest in story-based games. Any game where the gameplay sequences are just a think that connects cinematic storytelling segments goes onto the buy when it's cheap or play on subscription list.

These days I'm finding that I enjoy more pick up and play stuff and arcade style games. I spent hours over the holiday playing old arcade game collections I bought for cheap in the sales. A buck and a quarter per old arcade game in Capcom Arcade Stadium on Steam was awesome.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think Metroid Prime did it first where there's a story and lore if you want it, but you could play the game without it completely.

Witch 3 for me was fine on story side at first, but then you get to Novigrad and everyone is talking so much I had to skip all of it.

Three

I like story driven games but I usually shut my mind off when playing so they can't be too convoluted. I had this happen during the entirety of Death Stranding where I was just building a zipline network and mindlessly making deliveries. Then I got to the end of the game and was completely baffled as to what was going on in the end scenes. Why was I blue, what's the gun about, wtf is going on? I sat there thinking maybe I should have paid more attention and even read the countless data logs in the game because I was genuinely curious at that point. Then I thought, fuck it, I've got the platinum, on to another game I will play mindlessly!

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I need a balance. I want to be more engaged in the gameplay and not seeing a ton of stuff in cutscenes that isn’t even representative of gameplay.

I also like being able to do a variety of things. I often struggle to be engaged with things I find to be entirely too simple.

I have a problem when developers try to reduce gameplay down to one or two buttons. It makes it hard for me to play FPS games, Diablo, point and click games.

Larxia

I don't know, usually I would agree with you, I play mostly for the gameplay, and if a game talks too much, I tend to get bored. Recently however I played Baldur's Gate 3, I finished it after 220 hours, and probably 100 hours of that was dialogues. I was never bored once.

I guess it really depends on how it's done, how the writing is, how it's connected to the rest of the gameplay etc.... In Baldur's Gate 3 the dialogues are basically part of the gameplay because you remain an important actor in those, so it might be the reason.

Death Stranding cutscenes were a torture to me, but Baldur's Gate 3 dialogues were amazing for me. So it really depends.

What I hate the most beyond cutscenes / dialogues however are scripted gameplay sequences that will limit your gameplay to fit the story, like the typical AAA moment where you can only walk slowly because the game decided that.

While I can totally play and enjoy games without a story or a cheap copy paste story, it is generally an important element to me. Some meh gameplay? I can live with that. Almost all QTE games were nice because the stories had to be. But stories that are kinda promising in their premise but drop the ball tarnish the whole experience. Which includes pretty much all open wolrd games due to distracting sidequest, Mafia 1 being almost the sole exception. Stories that are dragged out for no reason, especially Indie games do that too often, is also bad. If you are no actually good writer and storyteller don't pack even more of your drivel on top of it. Rather cut it down like From Software and just make some vague hints. Also stories that have tonal problems and can't decide between clown and dead serious, often laughable seriousness, like Yakuza stuff, drives me crazy. Bad Framerate, confusing controls, lagging controls, while not great, doesn't bother me in the end, I believe at least, not that much.

ahtlas7

I agree in principle but Witcher 3 is amazing. I dislike when story mechanics drag. It’s one of the many problems of Starfield.

mdkirby

You’re not alone. But I’m the opposite. I only enjoy story driven games, and once the story is done I’ll likely never touch it again. Unless my old man brain deletes the memory, and they make a remake, then I’ll play it again.

Braag

Story driven games are what I almost exclusively play. If the story and world doesn't interest me I just drop the game.
There are games like Elden Ring which I mainly play for the combat and the interesting world and the story is secondary.

Neilg

If you like to play games for the story, story based games are better than they've ever been. If you don't, there are also lots of other great games. Witcher 3 / ff16 etc just isn't your jam and that's ok.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
I just had a similar feeling yesterday while playing "The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter" and "Final Fantasy VII Remake". The thing is, I started reading books and novels again every chance I get now, and the stories and characters in most of these games just pale and seem silly by comparison. All I can rely on are the actual mechanics in the games themselves which for a lot of games in this genre just don't cut it. Or maybe I'm just growing out of it. *shrug*

MLSabre

For me, it's about having the proper mindset and time to enjoy story-centric games. And even then, it has to be a story I can enjoy to stomach investing +40hrs into (without 100%ing).

However, I vastly prefer gameplay oriented games.

Yoboman

FWIW OP I Love story games but Witcher 3 never grabbed me, and if you jumped in from the third game like me it probably doesn't help. I found the central plot lacked any compelling hook, characters I didn't know definitely didn't help and Geralt was very 2 dimensional. It was a rare game I found the side quests were way more compelling than the central story

Last edited:

linko9

I don't mind it if the story's unobtrusive; it can even be a boon if it's well done (like in souls games). But yeah, in general I find story stuff holds back my enjoyment of a game, though I'll certainly sit through it if I like the gameplay.

KXVXII9X

These posts are interesting as I feel there have been more gameplay centric games as of late. There are so many Metroidvanias, Soulslikes, Roguelikes, multiplayer games, and Simulation games.

If I look through IGN videos: For every story driven game, there is probably 10+ gameplay centric games to shift through.

I personally like context behind the gameplay. A story keeps me going.

I understand preferring more gameplay centric games though. I can no longer play most JRPG s like I used to. The dialogue is too windy and slow. I love cutscenes but when done poorly they can be a drag. I wish games didn't Always have to replicate movies when telling a story. I loved how the first TWEWY or MGS Peace Walker presented their narrative. Both felt unique. I also love how games like The Last Guardian presents its narrative. Minimalistic but immersive.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 has some of the best weaving of story and gameplay. They didn't feel so separate like other games were you have a story scene and then a gameplay sequence. I felt like the player had tons of control even during story moments.

I hope both kinds of games can continue to coexist. I love heavy story games and Nintendo games. I am hoping for their next console they implement more story driven games though.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

- Battle system is still archaic from the PS2 era (haven't played the turn based one).

Played 1, 2 (back in the day), 3, 4, Zero (loved it) but I drew the line trying to finish 5 (via hd remaster on Gamepass), I was just not having fun anymore with this shitty dated formula.

Liked most of the entries but... retrospectively, I think that it's a way overrated franchise in the end.

If the games weren't ~20 hours each (and that's apparently doing just the missions by themselves), and instead 8-10 hours, I wouldn't mind playing through all of them. But there's way too many of them and like you said I think they're set in the same place for all the games.

I played through Yakuza Kiwami, and I enjoyed it, but doing a rinse and repeat of that over half a dozen more times (no matter what game series it is) is a LOT. I guess I could try seeing it as a 150-200 hour experience, but I hate looooong games as well.

Edit:
Just for shits and giggles here's each of the game lengths (according to howlongtobeat):

0: 31
1: 18
2: 18
3: 16
4: 21
5: 36
6: 18

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I feel like that has less to do with story and more about the series recycling content for so long. I think playing Judgment and Yakuza Like a Dragon and Infinite Wealth (completely new map) will help some. Still a lot of recycled assets and content. I started with Yakuza Like a Dragon and LOVED it, and I'm liking Judgment, but can't really get into Like a Dragon Gaiden. Feels like everything is stitched together. The series does feel dated in certain parts. I'm wondering if Infinite Wealth will be new enough.

Every one I have trouble getting into, it requires a bit of a push past to get into what really stands out. Even I, a true super fan, question if I am still into it until the game coalesces in the mid to late game.

In most, that means you stupidly get dragged into what appears to be a side gig until it becomes a hill to die on. In LAD Gaiden, that was the coliseum as well as mini side quest optimization.

I spent several hours on a single coliseum fight on hard that was neigh unbeatable, which caused me to optimize several aspects of the game to get past: my own talent tree, team composition and xp, equipment, and my own skill. Each one could be quickly addressed by trying some other activity to earn money or xp, all snowballing to accomplish my main goal which was stupid but I wouldn’t let it go.

The story, which I don’t think anyone is supposed to take notes on, is just to vaguely provide enough twists and turns so that when you have accomplished all your playing around in sub systems, you can have an all out manly, fist pumping battle that seals your memory of the game…a game that you largely only liked because of a sub game you glommed onto as well as the friends you met along the way.

This is nearly every Yakuza since 4ish for me, and they keep getting more fine tuned with it. What is so hard for me to remember is that I need to put up with the story bits and press on because there is always fucking Gold by the end and the best true feeling in single player gaming hiding within each one.

The only other way to put it is this: I don’t actually love the MGS gameplay and moment to moment, it tends to be frustrating and feels like your hands are tied, but at the end of each game you not only acquired skill but there is also some wild shit on screen. Yakuza gives you that annually.

Last edited:

Fredrik

For me a story-focus is only great in the rare occasions when it’s a story and theme I’m actually interested in. But that’s rare, and I watch movies and read books too so even when it’s a good story I often feel like it’s nothing new.
Seen it all before. Jaded to the core. Give me something new. Or just do like indie devs and focus on the gameplay instead.

As I said in another thread, I started playing Cocoon, small indie game, and I’ve so far had more fun with that than most big games I’ve played this year. No clue what the story is about, don’t think I’ve seen a single line of text yet besides the title screen.

Wow, it's super interesting to hear how different everyone in this thread is. Some answer I can relate to fully and others is extremely alien to me. There's no right or wrong here obviously 🙂

More people should keep that in mind.

Modern gaming is like a lot of other companies, where decisions are driven by the marketing department. They mostly only make games that their marketing department tells them they can sell to the consumer.

The problem is, they can sell graphics, they can sell story the by copying how the movie industry sells their stuff. But nobody in their marketing department has any clue how to sell “gameplay”. So gameplay is almost an afterthought in game development, all the resources are poured into the parts of the game the marketing department says they need to sell the game.

SHA

No, it kills the sense of realism and shows the limits of the world you originally want to believe.

Yoboman

These posts are interesting as I feel there have been more gameplay centric games as of late. There are so many Metroidvanias, Soulslikes, Roguelikes, multiplayer games, and Simulation games.

If I look through IGN videos: For every story driven game, there is probably 10+ gameplay centric games to shift through.

I personally like context behind the gameplay. A story keeps me going.

I understand preferring more gameplay centric games though. I can no longer play most JRPG s like I used to. The dialogue is too windy and slow. I love cutscenes but when done poorly they can be a drag. I wish games didn't Always have to replicate movies when telling a story. I loved how the first TWEWY or MGS Peace Walker presented their narrative. Both felt unique. I also love how games like The Last Guardian presents its narrative. Minimalistic but immersive.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 has some of the best weaving of story and gameplay. They didn't feel so separate like other games were you have a story scene and then a gameplay sequence. I felt like the player had tons of control even during story moments.

I hope both kinds of games can continue to coexist. I love heavy story games and Nintendo games. I am hoping for their next console they implement more story driven games though.
Agree. Cry babies won't be happy unless single player story games are dead

Agree. Cry babies won't be happy unless single player story games are dead
Counterpoint: I feel that pacing is the big issue in RPGs, and Mass Effect 2 is one of the few games that fully solved this problem.

Mass Effect 2 had some of the best pacing I’ve ever played in an RPG(including JRPGs here too). It gave you just enough lore through environmental storytelling and logs, it put relevant and important information in the forefront during conversational gameplay and cutscenes, it made story moments more cinematic(than most games that use a static dialogue camera), and it had sidequests that were actually their own well written stories to the point where they could have separately been the plot of their own video game entries.

While this sounds decently close to Witcher 3, the biggest factor was that Mass Effect 2 did its best to keep the player moving forward. There was never a moment in ME 2 that I sighed because I had to go and pick some plants for a potion or farm a creature for a material.

The pacing of storytelling is so bad in a lot of modern RPGs(especially the bloated ones), that some people would rather have it all be optional or in the background if the developer is no good at it or just okay at it.

How many times have any of you played the intro in an RPG and then feel overwhelmed and annoyed the minute you reach that first town and they overload you with dialogue and/or side quests? In a movie this would literally be an exposition dump which is a bad thing, but we forgive it in video games.

Cacadookie

Neo Member
I prefer Linear games like The Last of Us with the least amount of RPG elements. IMO TLOU did the story part great.

I have open world fatigue.

KXVXII9X

Modern gaming is like a lot of other companies, where decisions are driven by the marketing department. They mostly only make games that their marketing department tells them they can sell to the consumer.

The problem is, they can sell graphics, they can sell story the by copying how the movie industry sells their stuff. But nobody in their marketing department has any clue how to sell “gameplay”. So gameplay is almost an afterthought in game development, all the resources are poured into the parts of the game the marketing department says they need to sell the game.
Nintendo is amazing at selling gameplay. I also thought Dragon's Dogma 2 did a lot more to sell its gameplay than graphics or story.

This year alone, we had some solid gameplay centric games. After Zelda TotK and Baldur's Gate 3, I think there is a lot of marketing potential with showing off gameplay.

Top Bottom