• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analog stick deadzones just ruin games for me

unlurkified

It might seem like a small thing for many, but devs not offering any stick deadzone settings for shooters just baffles me and completely sours me on a game if the deadzone if sizable enough (~15%+). It makes me question if those devs have even tried playing their game on a controller. It just makes the game feel sluggish and unresponsive and the aiming chunky and imprecise. I know they’re partly added to combat stick drift, but why not just add the setting? Luckily, offering deadzone settings is becoming more common, but I just can’t understand why devs just don’t give the option to adjust the values for those who want it. Biggest offenders for me:

-Fallout 4. Really wanted to play it at launch but couldn’t because of the poor controls. Finally was able to enjoy it on Series X with a mod mostly removing the deadzone. Still really want to play FO76 (no mods) but the deadzone’s just too big and the controls just feel bad because of it. Not touching Starfield until I know it has it or will wait until mods come out.

-Destiny 2. Somehow I overlooked the 23% non-adjustable deadzone when D1 came out in 2014 because it was something new, but stopped playing the following year. Have periodically checked in over the years and played for a bit because a lot about the gameplay is good, but had to stop because the aiming is just bad. Even went on the forums and made multiple threads asking for it, but no luck. I have no idea why Bungie’s considered an industry leader with how bare-bones their game’s settings are.

Just looking for some commiseration here. Is it a dealbreaker for anyone else?

P.S- I have both an Elite and Edge controller and they don’t help. (On the Edge you can only add or increase deadzone values).

yamaci17

use ds4windows and apply antideadzone (%15 20 or %25 depending on the game). steam also has similar function but its way too complex. ds4windows is simple and easy to setup compared to steaminput

unlurkified

Thanks for the advice. Heard something about that a bit in the past. Sadly I don’t have a gaming PC right now. Can’t use mnk because of arm problems.

dotnotbot

Resident Evil Revelations the thread. It's not even funny how bad deadzones are in this game. They vary between weapons and feel especially atrocious using magnum, I'm guessing they wanted to make that weapon feel more heavy or something but the result is near unplayable.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Thanks for the advice. Heard something about that a bit in the past. Sadly I don’t have a gaming PC right now. Can’t use mnk because of arm problems.
sorry im a bit dumb. didn't see u were mentioning consoles

regardless, i share ur sentiment. deadzones are horrible. both cyberpunk and witcher 3 has %25 deadzone on xbox consoles. it is rather crazy. it really takes a lot of stick movement for it to register. it annoys my muscle memory too.

unlurkified

They were also atrocious in something as recent as RE4 remake ffs. The Xbox version was unplayable and had to be patched multiple times due to complaints, but still the devs just don’t add the setting. Only played the demo on Xbox, but it’s still not good on PS5. It’s like the devs haven’t played on controller since the N64.

unlurkified

sorry im a bit dumb. didn't see u were mentioning consoles

regardless, i share ur sentiment. deadzones are horrible. both cyberpunk and witcher 3 has %25 deadzone on xbox consoles. it is rather crazy. it really takes a lot of stick movement for it to register. it annoys my muscle memory too.
Yep, got both of those games on Xbox but had to ditch them and shell out for the PS versions because of it. (I guess it’s only about a 10% deadzone in TW3 on PS for some reason). In Cyberpunk on PS, putting the deadzone setting to 0 works but not on Xbox, it still remains at like 15%+ Was frustrated about it too.

I guess only racing games have some options for that, while I think this should be a system level setting you should be able to adjust for yourself. This and also various accessibility features should be there at the very first start of the machine. In game should be modifications to your set default, and also allowing changing that default from there.
I miss a true analog stick in many games. It's either slow or fast, very much like m+kb where only walk and run is possible, just the direction is accurately controllable. Why can't I almost never control my character with full usage of the angle the sticks allow. The zones are practically just two rings , walk, run, or three, counting the deadzone in the middle. Is it really impossbile to vary animation speeds?

yamaci17

Yep, got both of those games on Xbox but had to ditch them and shell out for the PS versions because of it. (I guess it’s only about a 10% deadzone in TW3 on PS for some reason). In Cyberpunk on PS, putting the deadzone setting to 0 works but not on Xbox, it still remains at like 15%+ Was frustrated about it too.
exact same problem on PC. it is hilarious. it is not %15, it is exactly %25 (I tested with gamepadtester). It is hilariously high, and just like on Xbox, deadzone slider does nothing.

I discovered this when I was playing around with my Dualshock in Cyberpunk. due to the nature of ds4windows, I can choose ds4 to run natively or emulate it into a x360 pad. I struggled to land shots and aim with x360 emulation, and then, DS4 native mode ran smooth and aiming was way easier. after a while I noticed the problem was the built in deadzone in x360 emulation.

initially, I thought it was simply a byproduct of emulating a pad into another. but then, my friend gave his xbox series s to me while he went to a vacation. the box is with me since 2 weeks and I finally had a chance to test stuff out. first thing I did was to test 9th gen xbox gamepad in PC version of Cyberpunk. lo and behold, exact same horrible %25 deadzone, with native xbox gamepad.

then tried Cyberpunk on his S, same exact deadzone. exact same problem in Witcher 3 too.

so in the end, thanks to this discovery, now I'm using my x360 emulated profile with %20 or %25 antideadzone. I've tried couple more games and almost all of them exhibit this %20-25 deadzone problem. even RDR2 is affected by it.

Last edited:

unlurkified

exact same problem on PC. it is hilarious. it is not %15, it is exactly %25 (I tested with gamepadtester). It is hilariously high, and just like on Xbox, deadzone slider does nothing.

I discovered this when I was playing around with my Dualshock in Cyberpunk. due to the nature of ds4windows, I can choose ds4 to run natively or emulate it into a x360 pad. I struggled to land shots and aim with x360 emulation, and then, DS4 native mode ran smooth and aiming was way easier. after a while I noticed the problem was the built in deadzone in x360 emulation.

initially, I thought it was simply a byproduct of emulating a pad into another. but then, my friend gave his xbox series s to me while he went to a vacation. the box is with me since 2 weeks and I finally had a chance to test stuff out. first thing I did was to test 9th gen xbox gamepad in PC version of Cyberpunk. lo and behold, exact same horrible %25 deadzone, with native xbox gamepad.

then tried Cyberpunk on his S, same exact deadzone. exact same problem in Witcher 3 too.

so in the end, thanks to this discovery, now I'm using my x360 emulated profile with %20 or %25 antideadzone. I've tried couple more games and almost all of them exhibit this %20-25 deadzone problem. even RDR2 is affected by it.
Wow, interesting. So in the case of CDPR’s games, it might not actually be entirely their fault but something that is built into the xbox controller software? Would be nice if peeps at Xbox could be informed of this and get it fixed.

acm2000

xbox elite controllers allow you to alter the dead zone system wide in the settings, shame its not universal

Wow, interesting. So in the case of CDPR’s games, it might not actually be entirely their fault but something that is built into the xbox controller software? Would be nice if peeps at Xbox could be informed of this and get it fixed.
If you were to take a brand new controller straight out the package, you'd still find that there's pretty noticeable deadzones still. Software mitigates it's a bit, quite a bit in some cases, but all controllers have some sort of deadzones, typically not to the extent that it's noticeable, but all have them.

Top Bottom