• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyer Dies After Shot By His Own Concealed Gun Triggered By MRI Scanner

sono

Don’t bring a gun into a room with an MRI machine. Just don’t.

Otherwise, what tragically happened to a 40-year-old lawyer, Leandro Mathias de Novaes, could happen to you. On January 16, the lawyer allegedly brought a gun concealed on his waist into the room where his mother was going to undergo magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) at the Laboratorio Cura in São Paulo, Brazil. The magnetic field generated by the MRI machine then reportedly caused the gun to discharge a shot right into his abdomen, as described by Folha De S.Paulo. This led to major injuries and his being rushed to the São Luiz Morumbi Hospital. But unfortunately, the damage to his body was already so great that the lawyer ended up dying on February 6.

Aparently he and his mother were asked to remove all metal belongings which they did and put in a cupboard but he "forgot" his gun. It was pulled away from his body by the strong magnetic field and in doing so went off.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
gettyimages-79035252.jpg

GeekyDad

Umm...why was he in the same room? Not even the techs stay in the same room with the patient receiving the MRI. He should have been in an entirely separate room. It's my understanding that an MRI machine is contained within an environment where the walls are structured to prevent such things from happening.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Umm...why was he in the same room? Not even the techs stay in the same room with the patient receiving the MRI. He should have been in an entirely separate room. It's my understanding that an MRI machine is contained within an environment where the walls are structured to prevent such things from happening.
Mostly no, since those walls would crumble, many times its solved just by walls being far from the machine.

Kenpachii

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why would you bring a gun into a mri ? Why would you bring anything into a room with a mri? I wouldn’t even bring a pencil into a room with a mri. 😵‍💫

Spyxos

I had several MRI scans and you are always told to discard everything metal before the scan. There is even a big warning sign in the locker room. Even when I was already in the room, I was asked again if I had anything metal with me. So he had more than enough opportunities to get rid of it.

Tams

Hardly tragic; just stupid.

I understand a Brazilian carrying, especially a wealthy one, but there's no excuse for being this dumb.

Toons

I thought it was common knowledge to generally avoid keeping metallic objects on you around MRIs and other power magnetic machines.

Why would you even need to carry a gun into a place like this

dave_d

Why would you bring a gun into a mri ? Why would you bring anything into a room with a mri? I wouldn’t even bring a pencil into a room with a mri. 😵‍💫
Given that I see people stop on train tracks while waiting at a red light at multiple different locations I can't say I'm surprised at people doing stupid stuff near an MRI.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How would a magnetic field shoot a gun? The article says MRIs are super powerful. So it was strong enough to pull the trigger?

Mr Hyde

I did MRI scan once for my bad back to check on some pinched nerves and forgot to take off my necklace. Nothing happened like these crazy incidents but the scan got fucked up and we had to redo it. The doctors were kinda pissed because apparently these scans are very expensive and time consuming (it took roughly 20 minutes so I didn't think it was that bad). Also, previous to the scan, I had signed a paper where it said I had to remove all metal objects such as keys and chains and then I fucking forgot my necklace. It all ended up fine in the end, we did another scan, but I was so embarrassed.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
The doctors were kinda pissed because apparently these scans are very expensive and time consuming (it took roughly 20 minutes so I didn't think it was that bad).
I get an MRI every 6 months as part of my post cancer follow up.
I asked the technician out of the blue one time how much this would cost if I wasn't living in Canada without insurance and she said around $1500.

What a lucky & grateful bastard I am.

Mr Hyde

I get an MRI every 6 months as part of my post cancer follow up.
I asked the technician out of the blue one time how much this would cost if I wasn't living in Canada without insurance and she said around $1500.

What a lucky & grateful bastard I am.

Holy shit, that is expensive! Glad I don't live in the US (and that I have insurance). Would been a costly fuck up on my part otherwise.

Mistake

Isn't it protocol to have people in a smock for MRIs in the US? I haven't done one, so I don't know. I guess it's the wild west of healthcare down in brazil

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm m still reminded of that scene in that one newer Terminator movie where the guy gets sucked into the MRI machine because he's made of nanos or whatever.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Super conducting magnets are always 'on'. Sounds like he was in the room before the MRI was performed.

20cent

Banned
All MRI + gun concerns aside, I still can't picture how a gun carried on the waist can shoot the abdomen.

edit: If it was pulled away from his body, OK I can see it. I thought the magnetism just pulled the trigger somehow.

Last edited:

Soltype

All MRI + gun concerns aside, I still can't picture how a gun carried on the waist can shoot the abdomen.

edit: If it was pulled away from his body, OK I can see it. I thought the magnetism just pulled the trigger somehow.
might have been a shoulder holster

Top Bottom