• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawsuit: Baylor Football players used gang rape as a bonding experience

cr0w

Old Member
Baylor isn't Penn State Football or UNC Basketball.

Baylor isn't old money. Baylor isn't important.

Baylor will get punished worse than those schools for that reason and, sadly, that reason alone.

You don't think Baylor is old money?

Dude I'm from Waco, Baylor is about as old money as you can get. The amount of influence they have over that town and the surrounding area is staggering.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I can't believe universities mediate rape cases. It's so insane to me. Go to the cops at least. They can get the tapes, go to where the rape took place, call it a crime scene, collect physical evidence, etc.

If you murder a kid on campus, does the dean say, "hey, let's try and find a satisfactory solution for all parties?"

shira

Death sentence. Ban all of those players from other NCAA teams and ban the school from having a football team.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/

2018 Football Recruiting Class
Penn State #2
Baylor #18

Dude I'm from Waco, Baylor is about as old money as you can get. The amount of influence they have over that town and the surrounding area is staggering.

Baylor was founded before Penn State

Hylian7

At least until Chip and Joanna became a thing.
laugh.gif

TheOGB

Banned
Nigga what the FUCK

Man, I just can't even fathom how fucked up this is, especially knowing that little--if anything--will change in light of this stuff...

I just... goddammit

The crazy part is this is normal at every college with a party scene. There are girls in your state/city that will have this happen to them this weekend
Yep, pretty much any decently sized college with a reputation for partying is gonna have girls getting drugged at parties. It's fucked.

Tain

"Plaintiff remembers lying on her back, unable to move and staring at glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling as the football players took turns raping her," the lawsuit says. "Following the gang rape, plaintiff remembers hearing the players yell, 'Grab her phone! Delete my numbers and texts!'"

jesus christ

cr0w

Old Member
Did the Elite Cafe close? I've only been there to visit my family. I'm living in Austin now.

Yeah it closed a couple years ago. They bought it last year and plan to turn it into a breakfast place.

I'm in Houston now, but I go up there a couple times to visit my dad in West/Leroy. It's crazy how much shit Waco has compared to a few years ago. They have a fuckin' In 'N Out burger now.

Shredderi

This is on another level. It's so systematic and nonchalant. They ruin people for sport and fun. God this is one of those moments I really wish some form of vigilante justice caughts up to them if normal justice fails to do so.

Draxal

Baylor will get punished worse than those schools for that reason and, sadly, that reason alone.

Key difference is that this involved players, PSU was entirely an administrative act and UNC was academic misconduct by the players not criminal acts.

I know you are a lawyer and have more knowledge of such issues, but I recall the issue with the PSU punishment is that it wasn't in the bylaws at all.

If the twenty one second video is ever released. Baylor will be completely fucked.

This is on another level. It's so systematic and nonchalant. They ruin people for sport and fun. God this is one of those moments I really wish some form of vigilante justice caughts up to them if normal justice fails to do so.

Yeah that would've been a hell of an episode of Dexter lol

This is despicable. The death penalty does seem fair though if last season is any indication, Baylor got the death penalty indirectly anyway.

The real issue though isn't Baylor. It's college football. If you don't think this happens at just about every power 5 university, you are a fool. In fact it's undoubtedly worse at many of them. It's a significant issue that's getting no headlines.

Too many people telling these kids they are superstars and they have the world at their feet. No one says No to them which gives them the autonomy to act like animals with no threat of recourse.

The institutions are making monsters and we've sat back and let them do it for years.

I say this from the UK and the countless tales of sportsmen (mainly footballers) acting like degenerate cunts.

Minarik

But SMU players were so BAD for accepting money so death penalty for them!!!

I agree with your sentiment that this is much more deserving of the death penalty than paying players, but like I said on the last page, I think it's a NCAA authority issue. I could be totally wrong, but thought a lot of the Penn State discussion was about how the NCAA couldn't enforce that for a non-competition related issue.

Azzurri

The problem is these kids are basically treated like GODS on campus, no wonder they think they can get away with this shit, especially if the heads of the university just cover it up

Program should get the death penalty.

Hari Seldon

Not to defend Penn State, but at least that didn't involve players. I was fine shutting down Penn State's program as long as the players were allowed to freely transfer. But this is worthy of punishing the players directly.

Another disgusting part of this is that you're going to see some bullshit on the field as the players use "the dark cloud over the school" as yet another bonding experience and hear the commentators talk about how tough the players are and that they're relying on each other to footage of the players locked arm in arm coming out of the tunnel.

"We ain't got nobody but each other" will be a rallying cry as they act like they're the oppressed party here.

Shredderi

Another disgusting part of this is that you're going to see some bullshit on the field as the players use "the dark cloud over the school" as yet another bonding experience and hear the commentators talk about how tough the players are and that they're relying on each other to footage of the players locked arm in arm coming out of the tunnel.

"We ain't got nobody but each other" will be a rallying cry as they act like they're the oppressed party here.

I can totally see that.

What's crazy is that this stuff doesn't make headlines on espn or other sports networks right now. Less coverage, less public outrage, less likelihood we'll see the punishment they deserve.

Baylor's long term strategy has been complete radio silence on the matter and it has worked wonderfully. Deadspin has been calling them out for over a year but unfortunately as a society we've decided that guys playing a game for children is more important than finding justice for raped women, and that's why optimism is low that we'll ever see the right thing done.

Cagey

Banned
People give a shit about Baylor, and just like those schools, there's no defense here. I say this as someone that grew up in Waco.

I expect Baylor won't completely go down from this, just like Penn State and UNC. They SHOULD, but probably won't because of the same dumb fucking shit.

Baylor isn't comparable to PSU football or UNC Basketball nationally. I'm sure Baylor is cultlike in Waco like PSU in Happy Valley but Baylor isn't nearly as valuable to the NCAA.

That's what I mean. Baylor sports disappearing isn't close to the national financial impact of those other two.
Key difference is that this involved players, PSU was entirely an administrative act and UNC was academic misconduct by the players not criminal acts.

I know you are a lawyer and have more knowledge of such issues, but I recall the issue with the PSU punishment is that it wasn't in the bylaws at all.

If the twenty one second video is ever released. Baylor will be completely fucked.
I can't comment on anything re: Baylor and DOE.

I should have been clearer in my first post but I'm only referring to the NCAA and their brand of punishment for sports programs as a highly cynical lay person. If Baylor were UT, ND, Michigan...I'd expect the NCAA to give the strongest of wrist slaps and not much else.

cr0w

Old Member
Baylor isn't comparable to PSU football or UNC Basketball nationally. I'm sure Baylor is cultlike in Waco like PSU in Happy Valley but Baylor isn't nearly as valuable to the NCAA.

That's what I mean. Baylor sports disappearing isn't close to the national financial impact of those other two.

Ahh, that's true.

How the fuck can you gang rape someone? Like how do you get all these people to not only be complicit but to take turns actively engage in raping a semi conscious person? Like what the fuck is wrong with you?

Fuck everyone involved.

Fuchsdh

How the fuck can you gang rape someone? Like how do you get all these people to not only be complicit but to take turns actively engage in raping a semi conscious person? Like what the fuck is wrong with you?

Fuck everyone involved.

Pretty easy. You get a bunch of people to value their team above all else, and then you get someone vile to lead you, and you all do heinous things together, which cements the bond either by camaraderie, or by making sure you'll never snitch because you'll get burned too.

This can happen with any social group, the problem is that college sports makes money and is a draw for admissions, so there's little incentive for colleges to actually crack down on it. So it festers and can become institutionalized.

Reading that made me want to vomit. Nothing good seems to come from college sports. Just get rid of the whole fucking thing, I'm sick of this shit happening.

bionic77

I can't believe universities mediate rape cases. It's so insane to me. Go to the cops at least. They can get the tapes, go to where the rape took place, call it a crime scene, collect physical evidence, etc.

If you murder a kid on campus, does the dean say, "hey, let's try and find a satisfactory solution for all parties?"
Most colleges a huge rape problem.

This is just the most extreme example of it.

Hope these fuckers spend the rest of their lives in prison.

RS4-

Still waiting for these schools to get heavily penalized, everyone involved from administration, players, accomplices, anyone that has attempted to cover things up, to get completely destroyed by the justice system. Kill the programs, ruin their futures. Straight up garbage.

But as usual, slaps on the wrists.

I don't know which is more disgusting- the mounting reports of what happened at Baylor under Briles, or the fact that nothing's been done about it yet. People should be going to federal prison over this, and Baylor should have all athletic programs terminated.

cdyhybrid

:lol

This isn't even close to their first offense. They've been doing heinous shit for years and nothing happened to them.

The NCAA is a complete joke. Penn State and Baylor should have been nuked from orbit years ago.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
This is what your obsession with sports (football) and sport culture does America. It's fucking nuts y'all will spend $50 million on a high-school football stadium and look the other way at shit like this because they're good at throwing a ball.

Like it's an isolated case... nah, I'm more on the "end college sports" team myself.

Basically. At least tone it down a bit.

IrishNinja

looking at this & penn state...like, if a QB pulled the play from the opening of Last Boy Scout, would that be enough to shut down a program? what exactly does it take?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This was part of the baseball team culture at my high school until they got caught, except they were raping the new players instead.

Top Bottom