• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawsuit: Baylor Football players used gang rape as a bonding experience

A former Baylor volleyball player who says she was gang-raped by several football players in 2012 filed a federal Title IX lawsuit against the university on Tuesday, in which she and her attorneys contradict several statements Baylor's administration had previously issued about her alleged assault.

The woman's alleged assault was a focal point during the Pepper Hamilton investigation into how Baylor handled allegations of sexual assault and other physical violence committed by students, including what former Baylor football coach Art Briles and athletics director Ian McCaw knew about her alleged gang rape.

The woman's lawsuit alleges that the members of the Baylor football team had "already developed a system of hazing their freshman recruits by having them bring or invite freshman females to house parties hosted by members of the football team. At these parties, the girls would be drugged and gang raped, or in the words of the football players, 'trains' would be run on the girls."

The lawsuit alleges the gang rapes were a "bonding" experience for the players, and that photographs and videotapes of the "semi-conscious" girls were taken during the assaults and "circulated amongst the football players."

The lawsuit says a 21-second videotape of two female Baylor students being gang raped by several football players was circulated among the team.

"Simply put, Baylor football under Briles had run wild, in more ways than one, and Baylor was doing nothing to stop it," the lawsuit says.

"The alleged incident outlined in the court filing occurred more than five years ago, and Baylor University has been in conversations with the victim's legal counsel for many months in an attempt to reach an amicable resolution," a Baylor spokesman said in a statement Wednesday. "Baylor has since initiated and structurally completed 105 wide-ranging recommendations in response to issues of sexual violence within our campus community, in addition to making changes within the university and athletics leadership and investing significantly in student support services.

The woman's complaint is the seventh federal Title IX lawsuit involving 15 women filed against Baylor.

"As this case proceeds, Baylor maintains its ability to present facts -- as available to the University -- in response to the allegations contained in the legal filing. The University's response in no way changes Baylor's position that any assault involving members of our campus community is reprehensible and inexcusable," the Baylor spokesman said. "Baylor remains committed to eliminating all forms of sexual and gender-based harassment and discrimination within our campus community."

The woman, who is identified only as Jane Doe and a former Baylor volleyball player in the lawsuit, stated that neither she nor her parents "ever indicated that they did not want to report the assault to judicial affairs or to police," which contradicts statements from Baylor and other sources who indicated that the woman refused to pursue her case and simply wanted to leave Baylor.

"Instead, plaintiff and her parents were told that it was too late for criminal charges and they begged plaintiff's head coach and the assistant volleyball coach to tell them what, if anything, Baylor could do about the assault," the lawsuit says.

The lawsuit details her alleged assault on Feb. 11, 2012, when she went to an off-campus party at a football player's apartment. The woman said she was drinking and believes she was drugged. At the party, the woman's friend reported seeing one football player trying to pull her into a bathroom several times. Another player, whose sexual advances the woman had turned down the day before, kept grabbing at her all night despite her repeatedly telling him "no," the lawsuit states.

According to the lawsuit, once the woman's friends left, a football player picked her up, put her in his vehicle and drove her to another location, where at least four football players "brutally gang raped" her.

"Plaintiff remembers lying on her back, unable to move and staring at glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling as the football players took turns raping her," the lawsuit says. "Following the gang rape, plaintiff remembers hearing the players yell, 'Grab her phone! Delete my numbers and texts!'"

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...aylor-football-players-files-title-ix-lawsuit

Even with all these allegations that started surfacing years ago, the NCAA still allows Baylor to have a football team. It blows my mind.

I only posted half the article, the rest is in the link above.

If we can't have the moral fortitude to take away Baylor and Penn State's football teams, at the very least we should put them in their own conference, quarantined from the rest of them.

And sadly very little will be done. A bunch of geriatric fucks (and PLENTY of young male football fans) will excuse this and victim blame the poor women, then make arguments that if they take away the football program it'll be bad for everyone, these poor girls should think of the other students in the school.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
College sports is very important and every great college around the world has a disproportionately money-driven college sports program.

Look at Oxford, Cambridge, Tokyo University, the Sorbonne. Basically sports mad, which somehow helps pay for better teaching staff.

The Oxford lawn tennis association alone brings in over two billion dollars in merch sales.

And that's a big reason why it's a desirable educational institution. Also something something community bonding.

Ogodei

Death sentence. Ban all of those players from other NCAA teams and ban the school from having a football team.

shira

After Penn State didn't get the death penalty I have a hard time hoping Baylor will get punished accordingly.

Football is big in Texas.
Crazy how winning trumps gang rape.

Why would you even send your daughters there?
xplSdwE8NACDq7dW.jpg

FTF

That's so fucked up and just hard to think about. I hope every player involved in this is punished accordingly and the football program at the school as well. Just sickening.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I hope their next bonding experience is their deaths. Fuck vermin like this. The earth is infested with enough shit already as is.

ruxtpin

Banned
Damn. If I was the father of one of those girls, I doubt I'd have the willpower to wait out the American justice system. Especially in handling white athletes in the state of Texas (and I'm white).

I...I just do not know what to say. Those players should be punished accordingly and the football program be terminated. Stuff like this is sickening.

Cagey

Banned
Baylor isn't Penn State Football or UNC Basketball.

Baylor isn't old money. Baylor isn't important.

Baylor will get punished worse than those schools for that reason and, sadly, that reason alone.

Servbot24

Banned
It's disgusting and it's not new. Fucking happens all the time in football. Piece of shit here at University of Texas raped someone and was right back on the field.

NandoGip

The crazy part is this is normal at every college with a party scene. There are girls in your state/city that will have this happen to them this weekend

Hylian7

Baylor isn't Penn State Football or UNC Basketball.

Baylor isn't old money. Baylor isn't important.

Baylor will get punished worse than those schools for that reason and, sadly, that reason alone.

People give a shit about Baylor, and just like those schools, there's no defense here. I say this as someone that grew up in Waco.

I expect Baylor won't completely go down from this, just like Penn State and UNC. They SHOULD, but probably won't because of the same dumb fucking shit.

KingK

That is so messed up. Fucking hell this makes me violently angry. Like actual murderous rage. Reports of sexual violence set me off like nothing else.

Campus rape is a huge goddamn problem, with fraternities and athletics being big drivers of it, but nobody with authority gives a shit.

I actually need to go smoke to calm down.

Minarik

I thought the issue with the death penalty at Penn State was that the NCAA didn't have the authority to punish for non-competition related things? I remember even the punishment the NCAA did impose could have been challenged but the PR situation was already so terrible, Penn State accepted it. The NCAA should amend it's bylaws to give itself authority to punish for legal wrongdoings as well.

Fuchsdh

I guess the question is what kind of evidence does she and her lawyers have to back up the claims and nail them in court. Given that they allege they were regularly taking photos and videos of this stuff, as well as the fact they're intimating the coaches knew and were complicit in these crimes, there should be a trail. At the least it sounds like they have evidence of harassment after the fact.

All the stuff about how the victim and parents didn't report the crime to the police and parents going to the coaches about these assaults is just another example of where schools being expected to handle sexual assault is a terrible, terrible idea. Police sensitivity and prosecution of rapes leaves much to be desired, but they are an easier target to reform versus a school that will ideally hush everything up to avoid harming admissions and doesn't care about justice so much as making problems go away. I feel like people have the same misunderstanding with colleges that they have with HR—they ultimately work for the company/college, so they aren't looking out for your best interest as a whole.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Okay um.

These guys should be locked up for the rest of their lives, at the very least.

Top Bottom