• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Steam update adds the "New" Big Picture mode (and makes it the default)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It's been available in Beta since October, but now it's here for everyone! Does anyone here use this? Do you like the Steam-Deck-like UI? Well, if you dont:

For compatibility purposes, old Big Picture can be accessed by using the command-line option "-oldbigpicture". Note that this functionality will be removed in a future update.

Kacho

Neat. I’ll have to fire this up later and check it out. I was wondering if they were going to update the UI just recently.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's the steam Deck big picture.
Firs thing I've noticed after launching it, is crazy gradient banding. Can't they use a bit higher bit depth background...

Anyway. That's good

nemiroff

Gold Member
Why can't I have more than 1080p in BP mode btw?

Edit: Nevermind, it was the old BPM.

Last edited:

Crayon

Ah I'll try it again. I tried it a month ago and it was giving me little glitches. I really like it! I've been using bpm since it came out and I'm fucking sick of that blue.

Midn1ght

Finally! Just tried and I'm liking it, feels very responsive, clean and easy to use. Hopefully they keep working on improving it and won't let it stagnate for years like the old one.

A.Romero

I guess it's a matter of getting used to it but I used the beta for a while and didn't love it.

Can't exactly say why but it felt cumbersome with a pad.

jaysius

Banned
Any screenshots? I hate how bulky and how much space Steam’s UI wastes, it’s been like some pre-school shit.

Where is the clean UI that utilizes space and minimizes waste?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any screenshots? I hate how bulky and how much space Steam’s UI wastes, it’s been like some pre-school shit.

Where is the clean UI that utilizes space and minimizes waste?
It's just the Steam Deck UI, with the button prompts changed to match whatever controller you're using.

4215040561666898962gol1.jpg

6260385831666898962gol1.jpg

3145167311666898962gol1.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Doesn't this ruin performance on the deck?

If it doesn't I'd do it to play more games...

There are some benchmarks on youtube. The ones I saw actually had improved performance in Windows. I've thought about going all Windows myself really.

Playing more games is why I did it. Performance is nominal as far as I can tell. Windows works like windows. but Steam OS requires some more research in what versions of Whine and Proton work best at the moment. That moment can change so you have to stay ontop of it.
My main issue with Windows on the Deck is Windows can't see the controls without a 3rd party work around with Windows games, Gamepass requires that work around to use the controls.
The Aya Neo looks like it does not have this (steam engineered to be a thorn in windows side) defect. I would like to trade in the Deck for the AyaNeo to play around with it.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The Aya Neo looks like it does not have this (steam engineered to be a thorn in windows side) defect. I would like to trade in the Deck for the AyaNeo to play around with it.

There is a big difference between engineering a device without taking Windows into consideration and intentionally engineering a device to not integrate with Windows. Valve didn't engineer the Steam Deck to intentionally not work with Windows. They engineered the Steam Deck to work with a Linux-based OS. That is all.

There is a big difference between engineering a device without taking Windows into consideration and intentionally engineering a device to not integrate with Windows. Valve didn't engineer the Steam Deck to intentionally not work with Windows. They engineered the Steam Deck to work with a Linux-based OS. That is all.
Your right. It really should be up to windows to get those deck controls working in game pass.
If the Aya Neo had it's own controller type then Windows would need to get it working on that device as well.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Your right. It really should be up to windows to get those deck controls working in game pass.
If the Aya Neo had it's own controller type then Windows would need to get it working on that device as well.

What you're missing is that the Aya Neo was designed with Windows OS in mind. Of course it works with Windows, because Windows is the default OS that the Aya Neo was designed for. Just like the Steam Deck works with Steam OS, because Steam OS is the default OS that the device was designed for. The Steam Deck wasn't designed for Windows OS. Valve didn't intentionally cause the Steam Deck to not work with Windows. They just didn't design it around Windows.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Valve didn't engineer the Steam Deck to intentionally not work with Windows. They engineered the Steam Deck to work with a Linux-based OS. That is all.
They definitely shit on Windows support to give SteamOS a fighting chance. Which is ok, but let’s call it like it is.

Ozriel

M$FT

Doesn’t ruin performance at all. Games runs about the same, and you get zero issues compatibility.

Windows users make up the vast majority of their userbase. Valve’s gravitation towards Linux is mainly for their own purposes…to ensure they’re insulated from any OS shenanigans. But they absolutely should be consistently taking Windows into consideration.

Absolutely not amused with their tardiness in releasing official Windows dualboot support that they promised ages ago. They've deliberately delayed that feature.

They definitely shit on Windows support to give SteamOS a fighting chance. Which is ok, but let’s call it like it is.

Precisely.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Absolutely not amused with their tardiness in releasing official Windows dualboot support that they promised ages ago. They've deliberately delayed that feature.
The most obvious was no audio drivers for months after release. As you mentioned still no official dual-boot support, no system-wide controller support, no official AMD Adrenaline support(newest GPU driver update breaks unofficial Adrenaline version that worked on Deck), no official access to performance mode options(some dude made this on his own). Additionally, when custom screen refresh rate came to Deck it was initially through Windows and CRU, and Valve was immediately all over that and implemented it into the performance mode options on SteamOS. They could have easily provided all these features for Windows.

Steam Deck exists to pry control of PC gaming from Windows, so I understand their motive and think it’s a good thing in the long run. I’m still going to call it like I see it.

GymWolf

I think i only used big picture in those rare games that don't work properly with a controller like condemened 1 or dark messiah and never solved jack shit:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Doesn’t ruin performance at all. Games runs about the same, and you get zero issues compatibility.

Windows users make up the vast majority of their userbase. Valve’s gravitation towards Linux is mainly for their own purposes…to ensure they’re insulated from any OS shenanigans. But they absolutely should be consistently taking Windows into consideration.

Precisely.

None of this is a counter to what I said.

Crayon

They could have easily provided all these features for Windows.

Idk bout all that. Steamos was coming in hot and still needs work. Plus they need to get that desktop version out yesterday. I'm not sure how it would be so easy for them to keep windows at parity.

Crayon

Yet 1 guy can do it for free?

Yeah that's how we deal with it on linux. New hardware, nobody bothered to test it on linux, one guy fixes it. Difference is that one guy then can submit the fix to someone upstream and it might get rolled in to an ongoing project. Bless that one guy.

I use lg c1 for my desktop
Sorry for the delay in replying. I work in Connected TV development. I don't work for Netflix, but that kind of thing. Gradients are often a casualty of devices, and normally it depends on the device itself. - it will downsample of sorts, the image requiring a higher bitrate, and with gradients you end up with banding. There's tricks to avoid or mitigate it, but it's often trial and error in my experience.

Top Bottom