• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newest Steam Beta introduces updated UI and Overlay

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

fe79997c99b1de3969883bea2ec789bdb5aabe50.png

Big changes under the hood...
Some of the biggest changes in this update aren’t immediately visible; much of the work went into changing how we share code across the Steam Desktop Client, Big Picture mode, and Steam Deck. These changes also mean a quicker implementation and iteration of new features. One example of this is the new Local Network Transfer update, which shipped simultaneously in the Steam Client and Steam Deck.

And small changes everywhere else
This update also brings targeted visual and usability improvements across Steam - we've gone through and updated dialogs, menus, fonts, and colors. The main Steam header, Settings, and the game server browser are just a few examples of spots with refreshed UI.

In-Game Overlay
We’ve overhauled the In-Game Overlay completely. Originally created to be a quick way to chat with friends or check on game-related questions or content, we’ve built a brand-new user interface, adding new utility and allowing for more customizability.

2d139b6d7dc5e801c0c4e5ecff4b48d3cad676b9.png

b11401f1057a23a4c63b26846b854c702867b926.png

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Whenever I hear anything has a UI update, I expect ugly rounded corners, every button to be annoyingly enlarged for a pudgy finger on a tablet, but... hey, that doesn't look bad. It remains to be seen if I enjoy actually using it.

Larxia

Whenever I hear anything has a UI update, I expect ugly rounded corners, every button to be annoyingly enlarged for a pudgy finger on a tablet, but... hey, that doesn't look bad. It remains to be seen if I enjoy actually using it.
Exactly, I always hear people they want steam UI to be updated, but I'm really afraid it would turn into some anti ergonomic, mobile design crap. I always fear UI updates because of this.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Exactly, I always hear people they want steam UI to be updated, but I'm really afraid it would turn into some anti ergonomic, mobile design crap. I always fear UI updates because of this.
I wish most UIs would revert their updates. Web design peaked when elements were small and designed for mouse users. Why should I have a bad browsing experience just because I'm now in the minority? The internet was better when most websites were incompatible with phones :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

kicker

Banned
Finally

edit: seems like this is big picture and deck driven lile the other most recent one

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My favorite new features is pinning overlay windows. This way, they stay on top of the game when you resume playing. Valve says you can even have something like a Youtube videos run in the overlay browser pinned, and be watching them while playing the game. Sounds dope, going to have to try that out.

SomeGit

Very good suite of updates, another one there is hardware acceleration for mac and Linux clients which is great because the Mac client is sluggish at times.

Holammer

Played some Noita when a friend messaged me, back in old VGUI Steam the message would display on Cookie Clicker running in the background and I would only hear the blorp sound. Same thing happened with Achievements too.
Now the message showed correctly in the corner. With this old bugbear gone, I officially love this update.

jshackles

I was playing Like a Dragon last night, and noticed that the achievement popups in the corner now use the new style (from the Steam Deck UI) rather than the old boring one.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Notes is a nice touch, I'm replaying Chrono Trigger on my Deck and I pick it up and play every-so-often, sometimes after a few weeks away, so sometimes I make a note on my phone as to where I'm up to and what I have to do next. Having it as OS level will be nice for old RPGs.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The new overlay doesn't look like it came from 2013 now, nice steam.

I heard you can actually watch YouTube using the new overlay. It'd be insane if that were true, makes viewing podcasts and videos easier for single monitor dudes

jshackles

Looks and performs much better than the old one. They finally moved on from that 2005 design. I still want achievement sound tho
The Steam Deck UI has an achievement sound, so I have to believe it's coming eventually to desktop as well

The new overlay doesn't look like it came from 2013 now, nice steam.

I heard you can actually watch YouTube using the new overlay. It'd be insane if that were true, makes viewing podcasts and videos easier for single monitor dudes
the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

You can pin the youtube videos so that they appear over the top of the game now. Absolute gamechanger.

nikos

It looks more dated than the non-beta version. Top bar is too cramped and the bold font/underlined text looks bad.

Seems like there are good under the hood improvements though, so I'll get used to it.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

One thing I find annoying with the new UI is that, when I close a game, the active windows don't revert to the steam UI, I have to click on a screen with the mouse to use the UI, also the in-game overlay needs to be more performant. I'm one of the few that uses the computer for both desktop and couch TV gaming, so the big picture feature is very important to me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
This is such a huge improvement! The Steam client has felt dated for a long time and this gives it a nice refreshing update.

Jinzo Prime

My favorite new features is pinning overlay windows. This way, they stay on top of the game when you resume playing. Valve says you can even have something like a Youtube videos run in the overlay browser pinned, and be watching them while playing the game. Sounds dope, going to have to try that out.
Damn, I'ma need 64 gigs of ram soon! 😅

Soodanim

Gold Member
Late on the uptake, but I only got to look round the new UI yesterday. I held off on new Steam Input before, but it looks pretty good to me so far. I don't mind the new controller set up, some of it's easier to use than the old version. Have they made improvements since it was first introduced? I remember some not liking it at first.

kicker

Banned
It feels like I keep discovering tiny new updates here and there. Like, when did steam add the option to sort your games library by metacritic score or achievement percentage?

Top Bottom