• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lack of roadmaps

So we don't have much excitement for shows like e3 or TGS anymore, but I think the real loss has been a lack of a roadmap.

I think companies have learned the wrong lessons from companies like CDPR.

Insomniac Games unveiled a Wolverine game YEARS before it is ever going to release (presumably it comes out in 2024). KOTOR is probably in a similar situation. And I think these are examples of how to do this right.

I think excitement and hype play a large part in enjoying a game. Expectations are real and I feel like the game industry feels like they can just set the lowest expectations and we'll get excited about things.

Sony revealed PSVR2 not at a show or event, but just in a press release. They have 25+ games in development and outside of God of War:R, Spider-Man 2, and Wolverine, we really don't know much about any of them. Like I'm not sure what this secrecy really provides and I think something is lost in it. God of War Ragnarok is supposed to come out this year and we haven't even seen a state of play for it (which I'll maintain is the WORST way to get people excited for these games, particularly cross-gen titles).

We used to know Square Enix's slate of games for some time, but again, I think they've learned the wrong lessons from FF Versus 13/Final Fantasy 15.

You look at Elden Ring and it was announced at e3 in 2019~ Three years ago and they've successfully built up hype for the game since then. They still didn't show anything until they were ready to show it, but they built up hype just by announcing the game.

What games coming out in 2024-2025 are we hyped for? We barely know what is coming out this year and next year.

mortal

Gold Member
You're attributing this to CDPR? Publishers & developers have been prematurely announcing titles for decades.
I don't like the drawn-out hype marketing either, but it's not exactly a precedent set by CDPR & Cyberpunk 2077.

I think excitement and hype play a large part in enjoying a game
I disagree with this as well. Over the years I've found that hype, more often not, can be a thief of joy.

There have been many titles that I've never anticipated with little to no expectations, that I ended up enjoying.
There have been titles that I've waited years and years to play, watching every showcase trailer, that I found disappointing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If hyp translated to a good gameplay experience upon release then it would enhance enjoyment. But man so many games just don't live up to it these days. I'm disappointed more than excited.

It's best to keep expectations low so you can be pleasantly surprised.

Fbh

I'm the opposite, I'd prefer if everyone announced games like Nintendo announces most of their games.
"Hey here's this cool new game we are working on, here's some actual non bullshit gameplay, it's out in like 5 months".

Instead of "Ok here's a CG announcement trailer, ok here's an in engine trailer, ok here's an interview where we talk about shit that's probably not going to make it into the final release because the game is like 4 years away and things change during development, here's another cinematic trailer, here's some devs talking over concept art, ok we are finally showing gameplay but who knows if this is representative of what we'll release in 3 years, ok here's the same game again for our 8th conference/event in a row"

EDMIX

I disagree on this.

Same.
Hype will generate interest to get more info, trailers will keep that up to really get you hype to see more, a in depth walkthrough, beta or early access will get that pre-order or week 1 buy (or should by any sane gamer) and the GAME PLAY will be the large part of enjoying the game.

I don't know a single fucking person that bought a game cause a trailer and like the game CAUSE the trailer or the release date, foh.

This person is basically fucking crying cause they don't know what they don't know yet and imho THAT is the issue in the industry that must be addressed. They don't owe anyone shit, they'll reveal when they want to and give out info when its ready to be given out.

Expectations are real

So are betas, early access and actual reviews. Expecting one thing is ok, but we have a lot here already to help out with expectations if someone can just wait before buying.

Insomniac Games unveiled a Wolverine game YEARS before it is ever going to release
They can do that, they have one of the best turnaround times in the industry to an almost scary degree. Horrid example as clearly its also a new property for them and they want it to get extra marketing time.
Sony revealed PSVR2 not at a show or event, but just in a press release.
And? lol they can do that. Generate hype, interest, give details later when they can. They did that with both PS4 and PS5 and they are breaking records...
They have 25+ games in development and outside of God of War:R, Spider-Man 2, and Wolverine, we really don't know much about any of them.
You'll know about them, when they give a fuck to tell you about them, Horizon got a lot of its marketing push closer to release for a reason.

Evidence...no one fucking gives a shit UNTIL its about to come out. We play games, we don't fucking play trailers and release dates or announcement windows etc. I don't now what to say man, none of this shit matters as much as you might think because we still play games based on what we want, what we see, what is marketed prior to release etc. So I think Sony is 100% fine to keep that to themselves as I don't even see how that has hurt them, I'd argue that has probably helped them dominate the media cycle with those trailers.

I mean shit you don't think its fucking odd Sony revealed PSVR2 not at a show, but just a press release? Why? The fucking show is covered by HUNDREDS of other announcements, ohhhhh so burry their announcement with others? That will help somehow? You'll buy it if 3902 other announcements happen that say day or something? that is a huge thing for you or? Help me make sense of this bud, I don't understand why you want it at an event, when most don't really give a shit, most just don't buy products based on where, or how it was announced or how big the event was or wasn't etc

Always remember, PS5 was announced by itself and broke the internet, Series X was announced with dozens of other titles, who the fuck do you think owned the media cycle on those respective dates? =) Think harder about this shit man, I don't know why people have this event obsession where they want all the details all at once for the next several years as if the company has an ode to lessen its reveals to make you feel better or something.

Let me put your house up as collateral on your first business and then ask you if you want the reveal that is random and you are completely the ONLY thing talked about in that a industry orrrrrr announce it at a event where several hundred others will all announce shit too...
I'm not sure what this secrecy really provides
They have no ode to fuck up reveals.

Gamers buy when the game is about to come out, they don't buy trailers, they don't buy dates, they buy actual games. So you'll hear more about it, when they are ready to push it more before release. I'd say its best to keep that secret until then as I don't see what good it will do saying anything early other then to build interest if its a new IP or something.
companies have learned the wrong lessons from companies like CDPR.
lol this has been going on long before CDPR btw
We used to know Square Enix's slate of games for some time, but again, I think they've learned the wrong lessons from FF Versus 13/Final Fantasy 15.
bull shit.

The best lesson they learned was to stfu to avoid some 10 year development and public clusterfuck. So I think they are doing a better job keeping that marketing window shorter.

btw SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo means how they announce games now, not how they were 9 fucking years ago man. Nintendo is nothing like that trainwreck they were during those years to reach for that.

The Direct, State of Play aka stfu until we have shit is the best route with social media. Cramming everything into 1 big roadmap or event cheapens those reveals, has developer making reveals just for the sake of it and during a time where the concept of the game can change greatly.

Last edited:

Chronicle

"Expectations are real and I feel like the game industry feels like they can just set the lowest expectations and we'll get excited about things."

Yeah, but whose fault is that? Gamers get so stupidly overhyped for shit it's not even funny (actually it is). I've read some ridiculous posts in this site about what people expect from games.

I remember one dude on here asking whether he'll be able to just spend his time in his rocket skimming through the atmosphere, listening to tunes, cause it will relax him while playing No Mans Sky. Like wtf? The hype for that game was beyond stupid. It was embarrassing.

Gamers are constantly crying 'but you promised' but in fact if you listen to the statements made by devs, ceo's, etc they rarely over-promise (not to me anyway). It's just taken out of context and spun into hype by fanboys.

Prime example: 'At Sony, we believe in generations'. This statement has been cried about on here for a year and it's taken so out of context.

All that you've stated the fault lies with you the gamer. All we know about Wolverine is a picture of a logo. That's it.

You'd think by now people would have learned to believe it when they see it too.

Top Bottom