• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance Has Sold Over 5 Million Copies

Got it on steam seal. Mainly to play on steam deck. I heard combat is a pain.. but very immersive.
It starts difficult but gets easier.... Something the game never tells you, which I think made it difficult for a lot of people is that there is location damage based on armor and weapon type....

Using a sword against plate won't do much damage compared to maces, if someone is wearing a helmet with an exposed face, a face stab does significantly more damage than a swing to the side/top of the head, etc.

Very immersive, but I think it would have helped a lot of people if it was explained a bit better

Denton

They certainly did their research.
Also, Middle Ages was a long period of time and things worked differently depending on where on Europe you were located.

You can't just say "on average" and disregard context.
Yeah that nonsense you quoted really grates on my nerves. Warhorse spent years researching the period to make this game, hired inhouse historian, and consulted with the absolute top czech historians specializing in the era. In the end, they were still making a game and not reality simulator, but they came as close as one can reasonably come under limitations of videogame medium and budget/time.
Very immersive, but I think it would have helped a lot of people if it was explained a bit better

The game has a detailed tutorial and I am pretty sure this is at least mentioned, if not directly, then in the very well made ingame codex. Plus...it is kinda common sense that sword is weak against plate while hammer is much better.

The game has a detailed tutorial and I am pretty sure this is at least mentioned, if not directly, then in the very well made ingame codex. Plus...it is kinda common sense that sword is weak against plate while hammer is much better.
Pretty sure it isn't in the general tutorial or further training with bernard.... Might be right about the codex though

And most games don't apply common sense so that's not very helpful, in how many games does a closed visor impair vision and block face stabbing? You typically just get a generic armor stat that covers everything, same goes for mace vs sword, generic damage stats

Video game logic isn't the same as common sense and it's pretty dumb to state otherwise

j0hnnix

It starts difficult but gets easier.... Something the game never tells you, which I think made it difficult for a lot of people is that there is location damage based on armor and weapon type....

Using a sword against plate won't do much damage compared to maces, if someone is wearing a helmet with an exposed face, a face stab does significantly more damage than a swing to the side/top of the head, etc.

That's pretty much i how took from certain video reviews. Really need to think and prepare for your encounters you cant run and gun it. I think with some "me time" I'm going to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Denton

And most games don't apply common sense so that's not very helpful, in how many games does a closed visor impair vision and block face stabbing? You typically just get a generic armor stat that covers everything, same goes for mace vs sword, generic damage stats
That's the thing, Kingdom Come is not like most videogames and is lot more common sense based than most in its design, by design.

winjer

Gold Member
Also, Middle Ages was a long period of time and things worked differently depending on where on Europe you were located.

I don't doubt they did their research, but they also failed in many aspects to achieve the historical accuracy they touted.
And no, there were no times during medieval Europe, where a whole kingdom just decided to marry at 15 years old.
People marrying at 15 were the exception, not the rule, unlike the statement made by that dev.

Yeah that nonsense you quoted really grates on my nerves. Warhorse spent years researching the period to make this game, hired inhouse historian, and consulted with the absolute top czech historians specializing in the era. In the end, they were still making a game and not reality simulator, but they came as close as one can reasonably come under limitations of videogame medium and budget/time.

Just because you really like a game, doesn't mean others can't point out the flaws in it.
And when it comes to character writing, Henry is very poorly written for the context of the game.

Another confirmation of Henry's age

kcdlrkni.png

As for Henry's "lack of skills". It is a god damn point made in the game that neither his dad nor his mom want him to be a warrior. And he helps his dad with blacksmithing, right in the opening quest, so obviously he is learning the trade. And yes, he is a somewhat lazy layabout. That's also a point in the game. How he goes from a peasant to almost a knight through the events he gets into.

One thing is not wanting to become a professional warrior, another very different thing is not to be able to defend yourself and your town.
There are still registered accounts of people getting arrested and/or fined, during medieval times, for not owning a sword and to not rain to help protect the town. In other places it was the use of a bow. And in others, a polearm.
At 17-20 any abled men would have be proficient in the use of a weapon, by law.
And it's not just a matter of law, anyone who would travel between towns would have to know how to defend himself, or risk becoming killed by criminal or by wolfs.

In the game he does almost nothing related to blacksmithing. He just goes around doing mere errands.
If the game was realistic, at that new range of age, he would already be a decent blacksmith. In fact, at 20 he would probably be very close to being a master.
Henry, being the son of a master blacksmith would be trained from a young age. And he would probably have a couple of other apprentices, whose parents would pay to have their sons learn such skills.

Also consider that a blacksmith is not a peasant. Another telltale that you have little knowledge about the period.
A blacksmith is a highly skilled worker for the time, and considering that his father is doing high quality swords for a Lord, it means he is in the top of all the blacksmith class.
This means that in a much higher social strata than a peasant. In fact, he would have above him only the king, nobility, clergy and some bourgeoise.

Last edited:
And it's not just a matter of law, anyone who would travel between towns would have to know how to defend himself, or risk becoming killed by criminal or by wolfs.
This is well reflected in the game, although Wolves don't exist, criminals do and you do see plenty of "accidents" with dead guys on the road and out of it.

Go out without a weapon and you will be killed more often than not.
Also consider that a blacksmith is not a peasant. Another telltale that you have little knowledge about the period.
A blacksmith is a highly skilled worker for the time, and considering that his father is doing high quality swords for a Lord, it means he is in the top of all the blacksmith class.
This means that in a much higher social strata than a peasant. In fact, he would have above him only the king, nobility, clergy and some bourgeoise.
Nothing contradicts that in the game though, in fact in reality it's kind of implied. But his father was still a peasant a very respected and even wealthy peasant, but a peasant.

They also say he came from prague where he was on top of the blacksmith class, so Skalitz was a downgrade for him.

winjer

Gold Member
Nothing contradicts that in the game though, in fact in reality it's kind of implied. But his father was still a peasant a very respected and even wealthy peasant, but a peasant.

They also say he came from prague where he was on top of the blacksmith class, so Skalitz was a downgrade for him.

A peasant is a pre-industrial agricultural laborer or a farmer with limited land-ownership, especially one living in the Middle Ages under feudalism and paying rent, tax, fees, or services to a landlord.

The word you are probably looking for is "commoner", as it describes anyone without an important social status.

A commoner, also known as the common man, commoners, the common people or the masses, was in earlier use an ordinary person in a community or nation who did not have any significant social status, especially one who was a member of neither royalty, nobility, nor any part of the aristocracy.

Last edited:

The word you are probably looking for is "commoner", as it describes anyone without an important social status.

Right, didn't realize they made that distinction so I stand corrected. It makes sense.

I realized there were two levels though, and that specialized people were not as low as, say, people in the mines. I still feel that's reflected well in the game. If that distinction existed then all the better.

I'm obviously not a historian, but all we're talking about doesn't translate to me as the game flunking it. There are historical issues for sure, some when shoehorning a character like Henry into an existing time piece, but they actually got a lot of things right.

The thing that bothered me most at first was that there wasn't a polish voice-over as an option, as I would prefer that to english.
Recent studies showed that people in the middle ages married in their 19-20 years, on average. Royalty and nobility would sometimes marry younger, but mostly because of treaties.
Well, if he is under 20 and unmarried, as is Theresa, Bianca (but they were engaged) Mathias, Johanka, Matthew and Fritz. I don't see that as a discrepancy.

In Theresa's part of the story she was in the process of being offered by her dad do a widowed old guy because he had money, so he considered she was near marrying age. 17 to 19 seems about right in her case.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Well, if he is under 20 and unmarried, as is Theresa, Bianca (but they were engaged) Mathias, Johanka, Matthew and Fritz. I don't see that as a discrepancy.

In Theresa's part of the story she was in the process of being offered by her dad do a widowed old guy because he had money, so he considered she was near marrying age. 17 to 19 seems about right in her case.

My reference to age is because of a post made by one of the devs, where he stated that people in mediaeval times, would marry at 15.
This is wrong, as recent research shows the average age was 19-20.

My reference to age is because of a post made by one of the devs, where he stated that people in mediaeval times, would marry at 15.
This is wrong, as recent research shows the average age was 19-20.
understood.

But while someone might have said that, it's not portrayed wrong in the game. Characters the same age as Henry are all over 15, but unmarried

I think we're spending a lot of time on hearsay from devs.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
understood.

But while someone might have said that, it's not portrayed wrong in the game. Characters the same age as Henry are all over 15, but unmarried

I think we're spending a lot of time on hearsay from devs.

The issue with age comes from a lack of definition from the devs.
At one point, before the game launched, we had PR people saying Henry was 27.
Then after the game launched, we had one dev saying he was 16-17. And another dev saying he was 17-20.
But regardless, of all these different ages, Henry does not behave like a normal person from medieval times.
He acts more like a spoiled child. Or like some modern teen that got teleported to the middle ages.

shimceltic

Neo Member
I'm rubbish at this. Went to the executioners but ran out of lock pick so I tried to knock him out with stealth and get what I need. Ended up in a fight and he surrendered and ran off and I have no picks!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I mean, if they wanted to include black or brown people, they could have included the Ottoman Empire from the 15th-16th centuries in southeast Europe rounding up Slavic people where the root word Slave came from…

But let’s not talk about that. ;)

That would make woketard heads explode 🤯

Flabagast

i think they could have sold so much more, i know a lot of people hold on ps5 because they dont have the ressources to add a 60fps patch
Yep, I understand it's a small team 100% focused on the sequel and they don't want to waste resources anywhere else, but still a next gen patch for the first one is desperately needed and would give great extra legs to the game I think.

kyussman

I loved the idea behind this game but never got around to it,having only a base PS4 it looked to have too many technical issues for me.The "too many white people" nonsense the US journos peddled when it was released was fucking embarrassing......ignorant morons.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I need to return to this one. Maybe watch some guides on how not to suck at combat. I was pretty much cheesing every encounter by standing on a rock / elevation where AI couldn't reach me and sniping them with a bow. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Patrick S.

Banned
I have the Royal Edition on Steam, Epic Store, Xbox and PS4. Would quintuple dip on PS5 without hesitation. What a wonderful game.

Did you try the PS4 version on the PS5 ? If yes how does it hold up/ improve ? Thanks !
Can't speak for playstation, but I played it on Xbox one /one x and tried it out briefly on series x

900p xbox one/ 1440 one x+ other graphic improvements/ same with series x but with ssd which helps because there is a LOT of load time

All ran steady 30 fps, might have less resolution dips on series x but that's just a guess

From my understanding 900p ps4/1080p for ps4 pro, Dunno if ps5 improves that

Also worth noting that the game has been heavily improved from release in regards to bugs and shit like that across the board

Last edited:

fatmarco

Can't speak for playstation, but I played it on Xbox one /one x and tried it out briefly on series x

900p xbox one/ 1440 one x+ other graphic improvements/ same with series x but with ssd which helps because there is a LOT of load time

All ran steady 30 fps, might have less resolution dips on series x but that's just a guess

From my understanding 900p ps4/1080p for ps4 pro, Dunno if ps5 improves that

Also worth noting that the game has been heavily improved from release in regards to bugs and shit like that across the board
Yeah currently very playable on a Series X. Very few glitches from my experience with it.

Emedan

Well deserved, one of my all time favourites, finished the game 5-6 times, once in hardcore mode and got all the DLC. It's one of those rare things where they actually delivered on all what they promised in the kickstarter and a must for any history buff who enjoy historical authenticity in games. But where the heck is KC 2....?

Last edited:
Well deserved, one of my all time favourites, finished the game 5-6 times, once in hardcore mode and got all the DLC. It's one of those rare things where they actually delivered on all what they promised in the kickstarter and a must for any history buff who enjoy historical authenticity in games. But where the heck is KC 2....?
Hardcore mode is a bit much for me, but for anyone considering it, the dlc is fantastic

I personally wouldn't recommend the treasure maps though (not my kind of thing), and a women's lot can be extremely fucking annoying at times, but who doesn't want a dog companion throughout the game? Rest is essential imo

EDIT: worth noting that during a woman's lot you play as a woman out smarting and killing soldiers (albeit very difficult). Totally something that a racist/sexist developer would do 🙄. Woke clowns never seem to mention that one, how convenient

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicComet

I love the premise but some of the minute simulation aspects, the supposed slow burn start, and the main character looking like a complete dumbass have kept me from starting.

In development..

Not sure if you know but Woman's Lot is not just the Theresa questline, it also adds Johanka's questline which is fantastic. Best part of any of the DLCs.
Forgot about that, yeah that was great.... Think the annoyance of playing as Theresa overwhelmed it. It was a good story but parts like moving through the mines was awful

BEERBEER

Neo Member
It's a really good game, that did it's homework on historically accurate components adapted to the gameplay, architecture, weapons design, armoury designs, clothing designs, moultices for alchemy, stealth mechanics, Combat system with techniques from actual swordmasters etc.

Yet it still gets flack and shadowbanning from "game journos" because Warhorse Studio & it's director Vavra are nationalist (as in people proud of their country's culture and traditions and values) Chads who are part of the VISEGRAD GROUP. And that makes the Marxist Subverters & demoralizators mad.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's a really good game, that did it's homework on historically accurate components adapted to the gameplay, architecture, weapons design, armoury designs, clothing designs, moultices for alchemy, stealth mechanics, Combat system with techniques from actual swordmasters etc.

Yet it still gets flack and shadowbanning from "game journos" because Warhorse Studio & it's director Vavra are nationalist (as in people proud of their country's culture and traditions and values) Chads who are part of the VISEGRAD GROUP. And that makes the Marxist Subverters & demoralizators mad.

Nah. They got shadowbanned because Vavra didn't suck them off like they wanted. Has nothing to do with the political views - at least at the time.

Denton

thank you for this thread. Last week I've returned to the game and 70+ hours later and with the main story and most of the side content done I can say it's one of my favourite games ever. So, so good.
Hope you played with hardcore mode and all DLCs, if not, you will do it before KCII comes out.

Denton

I played with DLCs but not on hardcore mode. What are the differences between normal and hardcore mode?
For me the most significant one was no map GPS. So you have a map, but you still have to orient by landmarks, sky and logic. That made simple travel in the game an adventure. And being able to get actually lost in the woods...such a novel concept for a videogame.

Then there is less intrusive UI, no fast travel, negative perks..

As far as I am concerned hardcore is the only way to play.

For me the most significant one was no map GPS. So you have a map, but you still have to orient by landmarks, sky and logic. That made simple travel in the game an adventure. And being able to get actually lost in the woods...such a novel concept for a videogame.

Then there is less intrusive UI, no fast travel, negative perks..

As far as I am concerned hardcore is the only way to play.
also no auto save witch can be a bit daunting on certain quest chains where you cant use the schnapps either.

Top Bottom