• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance Has Sold Over 5 Million Copies

tusharngf

Warhorse Studios' action RPG first launched in 2018 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC. It's currently in development for the Nintendo Switch.​

kingdom-come-deliverance-switch-1536x864.jpg

Warhorse Studios’ Kingdom Come: Deliverance has hit a new sales milestone. The medieval action RPG has sold over five million copies on Xbox One, PS4 and PC, as revealed by the developer on Twitter. Its last major sales milestone was in June 2020 with more than three million copies sold.

First released in February 2018, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is set in early 15th century Bohemia with King Wenceslaus IV ruling. After his half-brother Sigismund raids a mining village, leaving only Henry alive, the latter embarks on a quest for vengeance. The title features a large open-world environment with various quest lines that change depending on one’s decisions.

Combat is in first-person with realistic weapons and techniques, and players are free to explore as they see fit. Though launching several bugs, Warhorse Studios has released numerous updates over the years to address the same. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is in development for Nintendo Switch, though a release date has yet to be announced.

https://gamingbolt.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-has-sold-over-5-million-copies

SeraphJan

This is one of those game that I consider trying too hard to mimic realism with its gameplay, if you could get over the tedious (Like if you don't take shower for a while people will notice you stinks) part of the game you will find it much enjoyable.

The sword fight in this game is as real as it could get

Last edited:

digdug2

I think that part of the reason why it didn't sell more was because it had quite a rough start on consoles. It was a day one purchase for me on PS4 Pro with an SSD installed, and the loading was beyond atrocious. I couldn't get over having to watch the King Wenceslaus intro every time that I booted the game up and also the fact that every single conversation with an NPC had a substantial load time.

However, the biggest kicker for me was that I ran into a bug when I was ousted from the first town that wouldn't let me complete the horse chase. That was after playing the ridiculously slow tutorial for multiple hours. While these issues have been fixed for a long time, the damage has already been done, and I can't bring myself to pick it back up.

Fools idol

Banned
The game is as good as an indie game of this scope can get imho.

It felt better than most AAA titles at times, but woeful at others. Combat and lockpicking for example were clunky as shit, I don't wanna hear anyone defend that it wasn't. However, the chaotic and inaccurate combat meant battles felt like medieval battles probably felt to an untrained blacksmiths boy in those days.

I equally loved and hated every moment of it.

Fools idol

Banned
Always wanted to try it, but never quite convinced myself. What game is it comparable to?

There really isn't much like it to be honest.

Loosely, it's a Skyrim-esque world only no fantasy, with a very clunky combat system... You stumble upon the quests and side content in a similar fashion.

The game shines however with it's freedom, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want and the game keeps throwing opportunity at you. You can kill pretty much anyone, go anywhere, at your own pace.

You can also get rat assed with a vicar and fight in huge medieval battles as a completely useless prick. The game has a heavy focus on role playing, you are supposed to 'live the life' of Henry the blacksmiths lad in a fucked up medieval world where everyone thinks you are a fucking idiot and you have to learn all your skills the hard way. There are very few handholding elements, most quests just say 'find this dude and do this...' but you're on your own devices on how to do the task with a few exceptions guided by NPC's.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

This is great news for them and games in general, glad they got some decent sales.

They deserved even better sales than that.

Five (5) million seems like a lot for such a "niche" genre no? Although I have no idea how much this cost to make, maybe they need more to make it a worthwhile endeavour.

scydrex

I love this game. Stopped playing it on ps4 because of the awful loading. First playthrough on hardcore. Have it on the backlog will continue playing it for sure. Please make a 60fps update at least... to me it's better than skyrim or fallout 4.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
This is great news for them and games in general, glad they got some decent sales.

Five (5) million seems like a lot for such a "niche" genre no? Although I have no idea how much this cost to make, maybe they need more to make it a worthwhile endeavour.

The game isn't made by some San Francisco developers but by some eastern Europe guys which means their cost wasn't hight. They've earned a lot, that's for sure. Not to mention money they got from Microsoft for being on gamepass.

I don't think the game is niche against some games that did really well recently.

RPG and simulator crowd are bound to be satisfied by this game, but most haven't even heard of it. Just by word of mouth I probably sold the game to 7-10 people, and I didn't go out of my way to harp it much, just told my tale of initial trial and error with it. Which is basically how mental and accidentally funny the simulator part of the game can be.

Basically, a tale of how I decided to bribe someone, but had accidentally offloaded my wallet at the chest back home so had no money, I went back to get it, saved the game by sleeping one hour (which otherwise is done by spending a finite alcoholic beverage item) and got back to it. When I went out of home again it was getting dark, and the way offloading items works is that you can offload them all, which I did by accident, so I had no torch as well (which is considered suspicious to guards at night) and couldn't see shit quite fast as I wasn't going into a city or something. So I reloaded the save and since I went to the chest again I took the torch and decided to change my clothes for nice and clean as well. Apparently being well dressed increases the likelihood of being ambushed and mobbed so there was a massive amount of trial and error at going back to where I was before without dying because of small changes I did.

I'd say that people that enjoy games like the Witcher 3, Skyrim/Elder Scrolls, Prey (2), Bioshock, System Shock 1/2, old Fallout will most likely enjoy Kingdom Come Deliverance providing they stick around for the first 10 hours or so. I would advise against starting on Hardcore like people on forums like to tout you should, as it increases the quirkiness of the game yes, but also the unforgiveness of it. And the quirkiness of the game is everywhere anyway.

The single worst thing about this game so far, is the Women's Lot Theresa quest. It becomes available right after the tutorial phase when the game is picking up, but it's more boring than the tutorial part of the game and it sends you back to the tutorial area your started with as well so it feels like lame padding on a game that doesn't need padding at all. It should be way shorter, more fluid or just a cutscene. Alternatively you should be able to quit it and get back to the main game.

After getting so many things right, having the option to take that detour and basically grind through it to get to the good part again is just shite. It was DLC too, and judging from the rest of the DLC being very good I don't know how they hit such a sour note so early on.

Quality of life improvements for the masses would be, night time being less dark (made to make you use a torch but torch actually decreases the field of view of the character, evident when it's transitioning to morning and having the torch feels like wearing sunglasses on a sunset), being able to save without spending an item and hence, the game having autosave and reworking the famished/stuffed stomach tamagochi part of the game somehow, but it's nowhere near as bad as Subnautica, mind you where sometimes it seems you're grinding just to eat.
I gave up on the game after a few hours, just because of the main character. Very annoying and poorly written.
Hm, I haven't felt that much is wrong with him. Although he is definitely a plot device.

He isn't too dumb, too opinionated, too clever, too stubborn, but not completely devoid of character. I feel that it's just that he is not that badass. But that's to be expected. The DLC improves that a bit by making him hit several responsibility milestones.
Never played it because my PC is too weak and I don't want to play in 30FPS on Playstation. I hope they will bring a 60 fps patch in the future.
It's not a bad game to play at 30 fps.

It is a first person adventure thing, but certainly not an FPS, the speed of the game character is a tad slower than most third person adventures. And there is per frame motion blur on the background that hides the fact it's 30 fps in movement. Of course 60 fps would be nice though, but it doesn't need them as much as the concept on paper seems like it does.

The thing that probably improves it a bit on my end is that my PS4 has an SSD. game is still a bit slow to load when you boot it up, but ingame streaming is probably improved. This feels like a PC game on PS4 when it comes to the quality of the assets, so it isn't light on memory streamed.

Last edited:
Think of Oblivion/Skyrim but without any supernatural aspects plus quite difficult and deeper melee combat.
At some point during development I think their slogan was:

"Dungeons and no dragons"

This is a good video to explain the deeper melee combat:

Always wanted to try it, but never quite convinced myself. What game is it comparable to?
The simulator part of it is an Asperger syndrome trip. Someone didn't know where to stop in their "life is like an RPG" comparison, which is kinda awesome but clearly mental. Stuff like smelling bad/needing a bath will make nobles dislike you, bandits looking for you will find you more easily because you smell, but women will find you more attractive. Everything is a perk positive or negative.

Your character will need to sleep or he'll be super tired and start having a blurry eyesight and pass out, and he'll need to eat as well, or he will be weak and suffer symptoms as well. If he eats a lot he will be overstuffed and suffer through some issues as well. This part of the game is similar to subnautica, but less aggressive (it's easy to be properly fed, you don't have to hunt then cook to be well nourished as you can the food in every kitchen you find) but remembering it is a bit strange at first.

If the game was considered mainstream (and had marketing behind it), I think the biggest complaint would be clothes and weapons wearing out. Think Breath of the Wild and Witcher 3 weapon durability (and ability to fix it), but IMO worse because there are more stats (dirty clothes are a thing, paying to wash them is a thing as well, weapons stained with blood or not sharp anymore as well and when they reach 0 they are unfixable (?) but can still be sold). Getting new weapons to spend is not an issue of course so paying to fix that or clothes doesn't make sense to me and you will avoid combat quite a bit because this is a game mostly fair when you're one on one against opponents. But if you keep your equipment on and don't bother with it, NPC's will start conversations saying stuff like "are you okay, you look like you've been assaulted" appear dirty and ravaged when they show you, which is of course quite realistic, but something I personally would prefer not to deal in a game that is already complex, so I mostly don't and there is no adverse effects.

Oblivion/Skyrim/Witcher is a good comparison, I think. Just expect it to feel like a next level step in everything which is why it ends up feeling like a simulator at times. A medieval simulator where you get beat up.

It's actually hilarious, imo. You start being presented with the situations and saying "shiiit, what did I do now?"

The quests are mostly very good and don't feel like padding, stories are well told and all. So that part feels a bit like Witcher 3 who had some real meat there and less like Skyrim.

Last edited:

Vlodril

It is one of the very few medieval games i can think off. Not fantasy (elves magic etc) but a nice self contained story about a blacksmith's son. You are not the chosen one and not out to save the world or anything. I wish more games were like this.

I have been waiting for news of a sequel but so far no joy.

Does the Game has witchers , monsters ? Or is a Medieval simulador? I mean Your foes are always humans?
You have a Witcher perk, which is not that useful but still a tribute.

Your foes are always human, some quests are a bit trippy and there are witches in the game, but the game never proves that magic or something like that exists. But it's either that or people were very drunk/drugged out.

Spiritual stuff is implied as well, but you never speak to a ghost or anything even if you do witchcraft.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
I enjoyed this game a ton. The swordfights became a clusterfuck if there were multiple enemies but that’s kinda the point, you’re not a superhero and you couldn’t let yourself get surrounded.

I loved bonking enemies in the head countering with a bludgeoning weapon to knock them out. The game gave as much as you were wiling to put into it. A lot of jank, but I appreciate what the devs were trying to do.

Day one on the sequel, if it ever gets announced.

Chronicle

Awesome game and definitely the dark horse of last gen. Surprised it didn't get more praise especially with all the love for souls games. If you want a game with less hand-holding and 'git gud' combat this is it.

winjer

Gold Member
Hm, I haven't felt that much is wrong with him. Although he is definitely a plot device.

He isn't too dumb, too opinionated, too clever, too stubborn, but not completely devoid of character. I feel that it's just that he is not that badass. But that's to be expected. The DLC improves that a bit by making him hit several responsibility milestones.

From what a rep from the company said some time ago, Henry is 27. Yet he acts like he is 13. It's very unrealistic for a game that prides so much on historical accuracy.
For example, in the middle ages, common people would marry at 19-20 years old, on average. But he is still single and lives with his parents.
His father is a top blacksmith, that makes the best sword for the castle Lord. Henry should have started learning his father craft when he was a teen, and should be a master blacksmith at 27. Yet he is just doing errands for his father.
Most man in the middle ages had to be proficient in the use of a weapon, such as a bow, sword or polearm. For example, in many German kingdoms of the time, man were mandated to own a sword and train a number of hours per week. Yet, Henry is untrained in any of these.
He also starts a fight with the heir of the castle, where he became a guard. No way a commoner would start a fight with a Lord, as the penalty would be severe.
At 27, henry has no skills at all and doesn't know how to act in his own society. By all accounts, he is the village idiot. Someone with a mental disability.
Yet, he is supposed to be the hero, that the player identifies with.
Dragons in Skyrim, are more realistic than Henry in KCD. He is one of the worst written characters in videogames.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Never played, i like the concept but the combat looks dreadfull and it's designed for mouse, can't even imagine how clunky it is on controller.

Also i'm not gonna play a game located in ancient britain that has no sicilian folks in his cast.

From what a rep from the company said some time ago, Henry is 27.
He's 27? I'll take your word for it, but I would never consider him to be 27.

In those ages 35 was middle aged, so how old was his dad in the beginning of the game? Mom still looked fine. (actually I have two continuity complaints with the game, the first is that women are too attractive for the middle ages, even the elderly ones like the herbalists. second, there are no children npc's in the game which when everything is so realistic that you can understand how they did stuff like coal back then, is jarring)
Most man in the middle ages had to be proficient in the use of a weapon, such as a bow, sword or polearm. For example, in many German kingdoms of the time, man were mandated to own a sword and train a number of hours per week. Yet, Henry is untrained in any of these.
Makes sense, but he was sword training. The issue is just his age.
He also starts a fight with the heir of the castle, where he became a guard. No way a commoner would start a fight with a Lord, as the penalty would be severe.
Well, he was standing in as a guard, and they told him nobles weren't exempted from the rules.

The fight happened by accident, but yeah, he got away from it unscathed and probably wouldn't. Some days in prison and a beating being part of the plot would solve that.
By all accounts, he is the village idiot. Someone with a mental disability. (...) Dragons in Skyrim, are more realistic than Henry in KCD. He is one of the worst written characters in videogames.
I don't see it that way, I just can't think of him as 27. 17 at most. If the source is just one person I think it's a bit inconclusive to know for sure. Clarification should be needed.
Never played, i like the concept but the combat looks dreadfull and it's designed for mouse, can't even imagine how clunky it is on controller.
Combat works well, I don't even know how it's supposed to be with a mouse.

Aiming the bow and hitting anything is a bit crazy but that's supposed to be realistic. (I imagine it's better with a mouse though)

What works worse is lockpicking at first. But after you level it up it becomes a non issue. you can see that the unlocking mechanism was designed for a mouse and is probably really easy on PC.

Also i'm not gonna play a game located in ancient britain that has no sicilian folks in his cast.
I believe the game takes place in Poland, certainly not britain.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

In those ages 35 was middle aged, so how old was his dad in the beginning of the game? Mom still looked fine. (actually I have two continuity complaints with the game, the first is that women are too attractive for the middle ages, even the elderly ones like the herbalists. second, there are no children npc's in the game which when everything is so realistic that you can understand how they did stuff like coal back then, is jarring)

Well, he was standing in as a guard, and they told him nobles weren't exempted from the rules.

The fight happened by accident, but yeah, he got away from it unscathed and probably wouldn't. Some days in prison and a beating being part of the plot would solve that.

I don't see it that way, I just can't think of him as 27. 17 at most. If the source is just one person I think it's a bit inconclusive to know for sure. Clarification should be needed.

Combat works well, I don't even know how it's supposed to be with a mouse.

Aiming the bow and hitting anything is a bit crazy but that's supposed to be realistic. (I imagine it's better with a mouse though)

What works worse is lockpicking at first. But after you level it up it becomes a non issue. you can see that the unlocking mechanism was designed for a mouse and is probably really easy on PC.

I believe the game takes place in Poland, certainly not britain.
The last part was an inside joke :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Gold Member
From what a rep from the company said some time ago, Henry is 27. Yet he acts like he is 13. It's very unrealistic for a game that prides so much on historical accuracy.
For example, in the middle ages, common people would marry at 19-20 years old, on average. But he is still single and lives with his parents.
His father is a top blacksmith, that makes the best sword for the castle Lord. Henry should have started learning his father craft when he was a teen, and should be a master blacksmith at 27. Yet he is just doing errands for his father.
At 27, henry has no skills at all and doesn't know how to act in his own society. By all accounts, he is the village idiot. Someone with a mental disability.
Yet, he is supposed to be the hero, that the player identifies with.
Dragons in Skyrim, are more realistic than Henry in KCD. He is one of the worst written characters in videogames.
He kinda looks like an idiot

tumblr_inline_pegecolc6h1tp3ckd_500.gifv

winjer

Gold Member

If you look at his model in-game, he looks loke someone in his 20s. So the rep saying he is 27, doesn't seem too far fetched.

Mind you 35 was the average life expectancy. But a lot of people grew as old as today. Just not in the same numbers.
One thing that skews this average is child mortality. At the time, almost half of all children would die before age 5.
Also, many men die young because of going to war or work related accidents.

I could understand if the game showed some flashback of him starting training with swords when he was 13. But at 27, it's ridiculous and not believable.

The fight happened by accident, but yeah, he got away from it unscathed and wouldn't.

The Lord of the castle creates the rules.
A mere guard can't start a fight with a Lord apparent. AT best he would take it up to his superiors, and let them deal with the matter.
The way that whole scene is written is very unrealistic.

I don't see it that way, I just can't think of him as 27. 17 at most.

Even at 17 he would not be such a Muppet.
He would already be proficient in weapon use, not a master but able enough to help defend the town, as was mandated by law in most medievel towns.
He would also be a decent blacksmith. Not a a master, but already doing work for farm equipment and low-end weapons.
And he would know his place in society and wound not start a fight with a Lord.

Since this had sold so many copies it's even more pathetic that they havnt released a 60 fos patch for it. That's a developer who doesn't give a fuck about their fans, to not upgrade from 30 fps which they know is an absolute must for first person gameplay to control well. Doesn't matter if your studio isn't the biggest or richest. There's no excuse for us to still only have 30 fps on next gen consoles.

Kupfer

It's not a bad game to play at 30 fps.

It is a first person adventure thing, but certainly not an FPS, the speed of the game character is a tad slower than most third person adventures. And there is per frame motion blur on the background that hides the fact it's 30 fps in movement. Of course 60 fps would be nice though, but it doesn't need them as much as the concept on paper seems like it does.

The thing that probably improves it a bit on my end is that my PS4 has an SSD. game is still a bit slow to load when you boot it up, but ingame streaming is probably improved. This feels like a PC game on PS4 when it comes to the quality of the assets, so it isn't light on memory streamed.
I understand what you're saying, but 30fps just hurts me. So not really physical pain, but it doesn't work for me anymore. I find it really uncomfortable, I noticed the days still with the mafia remake. The game is great, but I can't enjoy it. Probably same for KCD.

Top Bottom