• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance Has Sold Over 5 Million Copies

One of my favorite games, wish they would tell us even the slightest thing about the follow up game....

However, I'm worried about how they're going to recreate the feeling of zero to hero, unless you aren't playing as henry which would be extremely disappointing

Patrick S.

Banned
I really liked the first couple of hours of the game. It feels really immersive, the acting and facial animations, and the voiceovers are very very good. I kinda gave up on it because the swordfighting didn't really click with me, but I triple dipped on this and really have to get back to this and try and play it through to the end.

Sephimoth

This thread needs that pic collage of the based developers responses to the soy army
Fine, I'll do it

cfc.jpg

Fine, I'll do it

cfc.jpg
I'm sure if Egypt developed a game with only black people the pushback would have been similar 🙄

It's one thing to intentionally make people a villain due to their race, it's fucking retarded to target a specific developer for lack of inclusion.

Can't wait for the first worldwide Arab developed AAA game, I'm sure it will be praised for its inclusion and fair treatment of jews

I'm still upset about lack of hispanic representation in ac origins tbh

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying, but 30fps just hurts me. So not really physical pain, but it doesn't work for me anymore. I find it really uncomfortable, I noticed the days still with the mafia remake. The game is great, but I can't enjoy it. Probably same for KCD.
I understand. To you 30 fps is similar to the step down people feel when they're used to 30 fps and go back to n64 games running at 15 fps.

How good your TV is might also be a factor. I personally still game on a plasma because motion is what I value the most in a game, not resolution. It has served me well, probably helps.

I understand. To you 30 fps is similar to the step down people feel when they're used to 30 fps and go back to n64 games running at 15 fps.

How good your TV is might also be a factor. I personally still game on a plasma because motion is what I value the most in a game, not resolution. It has served me well, probably helps.
Newer tvs have vrr as well so in moments when fps drops its not nearly as visible, which also helps

Crayon

This game is great. I don't want to harp on it because it's been mentioned so many times, but the combat is really rough. I did a good 15 hours on ps and I could not get used to it. I decided to put down the game and pick it up later on PC in hopes of modding it so it's a little more straightforward to fight.

It's cool to hear it found that much success, though. I would have never guessed it did 5 million.

Well deserved!!!! Great game, the immersion level was through the roof (sometimes litterally :p)

There was one bug, probably fixed now, that when you follow 3 witches having some orgy chant you get launched through the air and go up like 3000 feet.

You get the screw some royal lady if you play your cards right. You deal with a druken priest. Take baths in the creek and steal peoples clothes on the line to get into town in a disguise.

There is so much freedom in this game. If they can pull this off again on a larger scale it will be amazing.

Bought it multiple times to support the devs. Got it on ps4/5 and pc on gog.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
From what a rep from the company said some time ago, Henry is 27. Yet he acts like he is 13. It's very unrealistic for a game that prides so much on historical accuracy.
For example, in the middle ages, common people would marry at 19-20 years old, on average. But he is still single and lives with his parents.
His father is a top blacksmith, that makes the best sword for the castle Lord. Henry should have started learning his father craft when he was a teen, and should be a master blacksmith at 27. Yet he is just doing errands for his father.
Most man in the middle ages had to be proficient in the use of a weapon, such as a bow, sword or polearm. For example, in many German kingdoms of the time, man were mandated to own a sword and train a number of hours per week. Yet, Henry is untrained in any of these.
He also starts a fight with the heir of the castle, where he became a guard. No way a commoner would start a fight with a Lord, as the penalty would be severe.
At 27, henry has no skills at all and doesn't know how to act in his own society. By all accounts, he is the village idiot. Someone with a mental disability.
Yet, he is supposed to be the hero, that the player identifies with.
Dragons in Skyrim, are more realistic than Henry in KCD. He is one of the worst written characters in videogames.
Well-written explanation of your point-of-view. Seems like Henry's age and characterization was a concession made for mass appeal reasons. No way would I want to play as a 13-year-old, even if that would've fit the story and setting better.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Since this had sold so many copies it's even more pathetic that they havnt released a 60 fos patch for it. That's a developer who doesn't give a fuck about their fans, to not upgrade from 30 fps which they know is an absolute must for first person gameplay to control well. Doesn't matter if your studio isn't the biggest or richest. There's no excuse for us to still only have 30 fps on next gen consoles.
Maybe not an "excuse", but there are certainly a few reasons: time, staff, and money.

Denton

From what a rep from the company said some time ago, Henry is 27. Yet he acts like he is 13. It's very unrealistic for a game that prides so much on historical accuracy.
Henry is 17-18 actually and no he does not act like 13. Nowhere and nobody from Warhorse ever said Henry is 27.

Your post is verbal diarrhea.

Since this had sold so many copies it's even more pathetic that they havnt released a 60 fos patch for it. That's a developer who doesn't give a fuck about their fans, to not upgrade from 30 fps which they know is an absolute must for first person gameplay to control well. Doesn't matter if your studio isn't the biggest or richest. There's no excuse for us to still only have 30 fps on next gen consoles.

Nextgen patch is not up to Warhorse, Prime Matter (their publisher) is in charge of that decision. Also, Warhorse are busy with new project.

That said I agree Prime Matter should put some people on the next gen patch, 60fps is awesome in this game and graphics on PC is much better.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Very decent RPG.

Hope a sequel comes soon. My only real wish is for more epic battles. I want to be on a field with thousands of NPCs and be plunged into the meat grinder of medieval warfare. Very much like a battle form the Total War series, but you're in the midst of the battle fighting.

Not sure if the technology is there yet for that, but it would be amazing.

winjer

Gold Member
Henry is 17-18 actually and no he does not act like 13. Nowhere and nobody from Warhorse ever said Henry is 27.

Your post is verbal diarrhea.

Here is a representative of Deep Sliver, presenting the game to IGN, and stating that Henry is 27-ish. (7:35)

Last edited:

Denton

Here is a representative of Deep Sliver, presenting the game to IGN, and stating that Henry is 27-ish. (7:35)
I did say Warhorse. Will Powers doesn't know shit, he is just speculating there out loud. The actor looks older than Henry actually is.

winjer

Gold Member
I did say Warhorse. Will Powers doesn't know shit, he is just speculating there out loud. The actor looks older than Henry actually is.

He is not some random talking in youtube. He was hired by the publisher to present the game, so he has some insight about it.
So can you present any proof that henry is 16 years old, like you claimed?

Last edited:

Denton

He is not some random talking in youtube. He was hired by the publisher to present the game, so he has some insight about it.
So can you present any proof that henry is 16 years old, like you claimed?
Yes, even publisher hired PR guys can be wrong. I am shocked, frankly. (that was sarcasm)

I did not claim he is "16" or anything specific, because Warhorse were never that specific (for obvious reasons, you can have sex in a game). I said 17-18, as in, still a teenager.

I will post the proof you seek (eventhough it is really obvious from the game itself) later, if I find it/get it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Yes, even publisher hired PR guys can be wrong. I am shocked, frankly.

I did not claim he is "16" or anything specific, because Warhorse were never that specific (for obvious reasons, you can have sex in a game). I said 17-18, as in, still a teenager.

I will post the proof you seek (eventhough it is really obvious from the game itself) later, if I find it/get it.

So you just don't like his answer, therefor he is wrong.
Nice argument mate.

Last edited:

Well, he might have been wrong seeing it's an interview and he is saying a lot of things from the top of his head and it wasn't corroborated since, but even if he isn't... Why does it matter as much?

I recall JPRG's do the opposite. Often main characters who seem young adults are are 16-17 years old, and older brother/father figures are either 21 or 27 years old. It doesn't bother me because I don't even look at that shite. They do it for stupid cultural reasons and because they think their main public are teens but for me it remains that they're only that age because somebody wrote that shit down because of marketing reasons.

Even in real life, we often treat people by how they behave and not for how old they appear to be. Henry behaves like a 17 year old or younger. An interview outside of the playable medium doesn't change anything, he could be 80 years old on the lore and that would change nothing.

If Henry is 27 it's the same as the JRPG example, someone with a pen and paper decided towards the end of development that it would be more marketable to the target public (which is probably 27 year olds, on average) if the character was their age. Nothing was changed story-wise where everything implies he is a 17 year old and is basically a load of crap.

Implications wouldn't be just for him, he grew up with Bianca and Theresa, so they would be 25-28 as well. Unmarried women that old in ancient times? Not likely. Mathias, Matthew and Fritz are more believable to be older.

Hans Capon is 15 years old. No way Henry is 27 so 12 years older than him for the developers who did and wrote the game.
Nice argument mate.
That's not his argument.

It's deduction really. Doesn't make sense for the story for not one, not two but probably 100 reasons. So it's a discrepancy.

Which is what he and I are saying. If he is 27 it's a big discrepancy and you're better off ignoring it (or doubt it) because nothing else points towards that. It's not written anywhere in the game so why do we have to take into account some IGN interview to temper our enjoyment of a game and define the character as a retard instead of a kid and how that changes everything?

Who cares if he is a retard and some things are not factually 100% accurate in a game that actually made an effort to be accurate? Most games don't and are not burned at the stake for it.
That's actually a good point, marketing wise 17 years old, or under 21 (for US of A) might be an issue.

I remember Tecmo changing Dead or Alive character ages regionally (or omit them) due to them being underage in Japan.

That said, Hans Capon is confirmed to be 15 in-game (birth date is in the codex), meaning there is a problematic quest there. It would be useful to know what's his age is, PR-wise. Perhaps he is 25.

Last edited:

Denton

Nice argument mate.
That's not my argument at all. I know with a certainty that Henry is a teenager. I have seen developers speak about it. But I don't have links to half a decade old interviews in my head. Got it?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Well, he might have been wrong seeing it's an interview and he is saying a lot of things from the top of his head and it wasn't corroborated since, but even if he isn't... Why does it matter as much?

I recall JPRG's do the opposite. Often main characters who seem young adults are are 16-17 years old, and older brother/father figures are either 21 or 27 years old. It doesn't bother me because I don't even look at that shite. They do it for stupid cultural reasons and because they think their main public are teens but for me it remains that they're only that age because somebody wrote that shit down because of marketing reasons.

Even in real life, we often treat people by how they behave and not for how old they appear to be. Henry behaves like a 17 year old or younger. An interview outside of the playable medium doesn't change anything, he could be 80 years old on the lore and that would change nothing.

If Henry is 27 it's the same as the JRPG example, someone with a pen and paper decided towards the end of development that it would be more marketable to the target public (which is probably 27 year olds, on average) if the character was their age. Nothing was changed story-wise where everything implies he is a 17 year old and is basically a load of crap.

Implications wouldn't be just for him, he grew up with Bianca and Theresa, so they would be 25-28 as well. Unmarried women that old in ancient times? Not likely. Mathias, Matthew and Fritz are more believable to be older.

Hans Capon is 15 years old. No way Henry is 27 so 12 years older than him for the developers who did and wrote the game.

That's not his argument.

It's deduction really. Doesn't make sense for the story for not one, not two but probably 100 reasons. So it's a discrepancy.

Which is what he and I are saying. If he is 27 it's a big discrepancy and you're better off ignoring it (or doubt it) because nothing else points towards that. It's not written anywhere in the game so why do we have to take into account some IGN interview to temper our enjoyment of a game and define the character as a retard instead of a kid and how that changes everything?

Who cares if he is a retard and some things are not factually 100% accurate in a game that actually made an effort to be accurate? Most games don't and are not burned at the stake for it.

Even if he is 16-18 years old, he should already be competent with a sword, bow or polearm.
He should already be proficient in blacksmithing, working with his father in the shop. Not doing errands.
With 16-18, he might not be doing swords for Lords. But he would be crafting agricultural implements, and even some armor and swords for low rank soldiers and peasants.
And considering that a blacksmith is a highly regarded craft in medieval times, when leaving for the second castle, he would be hired as one. Not as a mere patrol guard.
He would also know his place in society, that a commoner should not disrespect a Lord, let alone start a quarrel with him.
All these faults would only make sense if he was 13 or less. And even then, not much.
Kids were taught from a young age to respect their "superiors", especially the King, nobility and clergy. That a 16-18 year old would start a fight with a Lord is complete non-sense.
And that he would get away from it with almost no consequences is idiotic.
It's like the devs wanted to make him younger, and have him grow up, but didn't get the time and/or budget to make several models and hire more actors for it.
So they just crammed all together, with no regard for historical accuracy.

And yes, his age matters in a game that takes so much pride in historical accuracy.
At 16-18, lacking these skills and behaving like this are very weird flaws for a medieval character.
Remember that in medieval Europe, most kingdoms had rules for men to own their own gear and to practice a number of hours per week.
It doesn't make sense for a 16-18 year old to be completely untrained.
But at 27, it becomes a huge problem, as in this era this age would require a lot of responsibilities from every men in town.
A man, in a medieval town that has no combat skills, no trade and still lives with his parents, would be considered the town's fool.

Last edited:
Well, at the end of the day it's still fiction and there are plenty historical or technical accuracy problems in the game.

Quite a few of these happen within the game, like no kids existing or how elderly people don't look elderly a day past their 50's, some characters disappearing of the map after their quest is done as well. The horse and dog mechanics are also problematic. Seeing they just magically appear out of nowhere if you call them and what you store in the horse doesn't count towards how loaded he is when carrying you. Butchers are implied to have lots of animals, but you don't see that in stables near them.

Torches last forever and they shouldn't.

Also, Henry would never get socially as far as he does in the game if he started off like he did. Which is part of the issue you point out, for starters if he was stuck being a blacksmith he certainly couldn't climb past that. Then again they speak of Prague quite often and you can't visit, which is also shit, historically speaking.

So, and even if we're going to be anal about accuracy, why pay attention to lore that's not in the game?

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
I'm sure if Egypt developed a game with only black people the pushback would have been similar 🙄

It's one thing to intentionally make people a villain due to their race, it's fucking retarded to target a specific developer for lack of inclusion.

Can't wait for the first worldwide Arab developed AAA game, I'm sure it will be praised for its inclusion and fair treatment of jews

I'm still upset about lack of hispanic representation in ac origins tbh
The best part is they'd slap there fins together like trained seals then resume complaining about Rami Malek playing a Pharoah

Even if he is 16-18 years old, he should already be competent with a sword, bow or polearm.
He should already be proficient in blacksmithing, working with his father in the shop. Not doing errands.
With 16-18, he might not be doing swords for Lords. But he would be crafting agricultural implements, and even some armor and swords for low rank soldiers and peasants.
And considering that a blacksmith is a highly regarded craft in medieval times, when leaving for the second castle, he would be hired as one. Not as a mere patrol guard.
He would also know his place in society, that a commoner should not disrespect a Lord, let alone start a quarrel with him.
All these faults would only make sense if he was 13 or less. And even then, not much.
Kids were taught from a young age to respect their "superiors", especially the King, nobility and clergy. That a 16-18 year old would start a fight with a Lord is complete non-sense.
It's like the devs wanted to make him younger, and have him grow up, but didn't get the time and/or budget to make several models and hire more actors for it.

And yes, his age matters in a game that takes so much pride in historical accuracy.
At 16-18, lacking these skills and behaving like this are very weird flaws for a medieval character.
Remember that in medieval Europe, most kingdoms had rules for men to own their own gear and to practice a number of hours per week.
But at 27, it becomes a huge problem, as in this era this age would require a lot of responsibilities from every men in town.
A man, in a medieval town that has no combat skills, no trade and still lives with his parents, would be considered the town's fool.
I'm sure that LITERALLY EVERY 18-27 year old in these times adhered to your laundry list of requirements, especially the ones that are explicitly made out to be lazy like Henry

Come off it dude, we never see henry take a shit either, how unrealistic 🙄

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One of the big reasons I stopped listening to Giant Bomb was when Gerstmann, with a straight face, claimed that they weren't going to cover this game due the audience having 'no interest'.

Puh-lease. The game is fucking great. We all know why GB didn't cover it.
He went from the 8.8 to ideological cuck in the span of a decade.

Feels bad man.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/379430/discussions/0/3192489717252010538/?ctp=2

Check post 21. Developer himself says:

The original idea was Henry is in teen age. Remember, that in medieval time you are taken almost adult in 14-16, helping with the work already from 10-12, some girls alraedy married in 15 etc. Of course the actor is older, the movements of the character scaned in the motion capture studio are "adult", so you have rather impression of a guy in twenties. But the idea was he is very young, uneducated, unexperienced teenager and before end of KCD he actually become a man, not aging of course, but in the similar way boys become men, rather inside. I hope I explained it little bit more :-] In the end, doesnt matter, the important is the emotional connection you get to Henry on his way, I believe.

Teenager. Also of note, the real life person Henry is based on Jan Ptacek (Hans Capon) would have been 15/16 in 1403 and fictional Henry is noted as being "close" in age.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
https://steamcommunity.com/app/379430/discussions/0/3192489717252010538/?ctp=2

Check post 21. Developer himself says:

Teenager. Also of note, the real life person Henry is based on Jan Ptacek (Hans Capon) would have been 15/16 in 1403 and fictional Henry is noted as being "close" in age.

OK. That almost explains why henry acts like a brat. But still, for someone in his 15-16 years, he lacks a lot of skills and behaves very poorly.
He seems more like someone that is 13 years old, because of his complete lack of skills. he is also very poorly educated, because of his lack of understanding of social standings and etiquette.
At the time, there were no teenagers, this concept is from the 1960´s. In this, the dev is right in saying he would be considered a young adult. But as an adult he would have adult responsibilities, including learning a trade, owning a weapon and training regularly with it.
And of course, his actor/model is very old for someone who is supposed to be 16. No wonder even the PR people would mistake him for someone in his 20´s.

Also, that dev seems to have limited knowledge about medieval times. It's like he took his knowledge from Hollywood movies.
Recent studies showed that people in the middle ages married in their 19-20 years, on average. Royalty and nobility would sometimes marry younger, but mostly because of treaties.

Last edited:

shimceltic

Neo Member
I have managed to get further than when I previously started this on release.
Just buried the fam, looking forward to getting properly stuck into the game now.

fatmarco

The most bizarre thing about this games release was Western game journalists calling it out for racism (in regards to Cumans for some reason) but, ironically, they were the ones being racists just through their own ignorance of the history of the area, and their subsequent dismissiveness about the game prevented them from ever bothering to learn about that history.

I mean it's cool when cultures get to tell their own stories, so it was great that Czech developers got to make a big budget game about Czech history, from their perspective, and the industry is much better for it.

It's also refreshing to have a big budget historical game not made by Brits or Americans, who even when making a game set somewhere else, inevitably distort the history to be thematically more about their own history.

Denton

Another confirmation of Henry's age

kcdlrkni.png

As for Henry's "lack of skills". It is a god damn point made in the game that neither his dad nor his mom want him to be a warrior. And he helps his dad with blacksmithing, right in the opening quest, so obviously he is learning the trade. And yes, he is a somewhat lazy layabout. That's also a point in the game. How he goes from a peasant to almost a knight through the events he gets into.

Mozzarella

Honestly i would rather them develop and spend resources on the sequel rather than porting it for the Switch. But if they can do both they all the power to you, i just dont buy it, i think Switch audience is not really going to care that much about these kind of games, i would rather spend that power and money on a new game or a sequel. 🤷‍♂️

j0hnnix

Got it on steam sale. Mainly to play on steam deck. I heard combat is a pain.. but very immersive.

Last edited:

Denton

Honestly i would rather them develop and spend resources on the sequel rather than porting it for the Switch. But if they can do both they all the power to you, i just dont buy it, i think Switch audience is not really going to care that much about these kind of games, i would rather spend that power and money on a new game or a sequel.
Warhorse have nothing to do with Switch version. They never even intended it. It was internally proposed by their sister studio Saber who ported Crysis to Switch and thought they could port Kingdom Come too.

Given how long it takes, I suspect they are having some troubles with it.

Warhorse themselves are purely dedicated to the sequel project.

Beechos

Couldnt get into it too realistic for me. Its like a skyrim type game with survival elements. I guess you can say its a true roleplaying game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Couldnt get into it too realistic for me. Its like a skyrim type game with survival elements. I guess you can say its a true roleplaying game.

It is definitely a game that you need to be in teh right frame of mind for. I fell off the first time, but the second time I fell in love with it. Had to actually sell my copy at the time due to college bills and paying for medicine. A kind GAFfer actually bought me a copy so I could continue playing it!

Since then I have completed the game around 7 times. Got me involved into reading and researching history on a much more deep level than I ever did before. Wanted to see if the complaints about the “no black people” were real. Didn’t shock me that much to learn that the director and Warhorse really did do their research as they were spot on.

Top Bottom