• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kinda pissed off with Sony's attitude towards Europe

kikii

You cant use only one price number for EU.

Because it (MRSP) varies a bit between countries

Like another poster from Finland said, we pay 529-549€ / 429-449€ for the consoles

VAT is 22%

549€ = 650$

We all it "Suomi lisä" aka Finland fee.

Basically we get fucked by tax, currency exchange rate AND above that retailers add "finland fee" which they tend to pull from their ass :D

2018 I bought ultrabook. 1000$ more here than US. (Around 1300$ vs 2300$)

No tax can explain it ;(

Anyway, the weird way to give out prices without tax at US makes it look even worse.

And dont US folks just cheat and buy with 0% tax?

Even we can do that on US amazon by making fake account with Alaskan address and buy psn codes with 0% VAT so I'm sure locals can do it even easier

bööö torille kännis :p

mr.dilya

Banned
Nobody cares about Europe. Video games are Japanese and American passtimes, you guys just jumped on the bandwagon. Be happy you’re getting it at all.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Nobody cares about Europe. Video games are Japanese and American passtimes, you guys just jumped on the bandwagon. Be happy you’re getting it at all.
1534473346790.jpg

Alan Wake

Europe usually gets screwed over by everyone, not just Sony. In my country we had to wait almost a year for the official Xbox One launch.

Sometimes we're lucky with some special editions and better looking game boxes, though.

manzo

You cant use only one price number for EU.

Because it (MRSP) varies a bit between countries

Like another poster from Finland said, we pay 529-549€ / 429-449€ for the consoles

VAT is 22%

549€ = 650$

We all it "Suomi lisä" aka Finland fee.

Basically we get fucked by tax, currency exchange rate AND above that retailers add "finland fee" which they tend to pull from their ass :D

2018 I bought ultrabook. 1000$ more here than US. (Around 1300$ vs 2300$)

No tax can explain it ;(

Anyway, the weird way to give out prices without tax at US makes it look even worse.

And dont US folks just cheat and buy with 0% tax?

Even we can do that on US amazon by making fake account with Alaskan address and buy psn codes with 0% VAT so I'm sure locals can do it even easier

The reason for the ”suomilisä” is our electronic waste tax which is added on the gross sum of the product. It’s mandatory to add it and that is the sole reason for consoles to have it. The net margins are roughly 4 euros per console, so there aren’t much to take away from the net amount, so the stores just add it on top. Nordisk Film, who is Sony’s distributor in Finland doesn’t add that on the price.

The reason why PS4 was 449€-459€ was just price gouging done by Gigantti and Verkkokauppa. The RRP was 429€ for PS4 also.

t. Old Anttila Kodin1 warehouse employee who did goods receipts for all games and consoles in 2002-2007.

LarknThe4th

"Kinda"

There gouging of their most loyal and biggest market is absolutely disgraceful, the hiked game prices we have to pay in comparison to America is them spitting us in the eye

Its conceivable that without Europe pulling the PS3 out of the ditch in the late 00s Sony wouldn't even be in the videogame business anymore

Some loyalty though eh?

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

And the huge (for the time) gaming scene built around the msx that got started in the early eighties.
Dont know much about that sounds interesting, any good YouTube video Essays on it?

Also Fucking RareWare who where basically, alongside Nintendo, the most prominent developer of 3D software in the 90s console scene

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dont know much about that sounds interesting, any good YouTube video Essays on it?

Also Fucking RareWare who where basically, alongside Nintendo, the most prominent developer of 3D software in the 90s console scene

Also a video on the british ZX Spectrum, another early computer that became a popular gaming platform in Europe.

Last edited:

Jurry132

Neo Member
Why is everyone so surprised about €80 games? I know it sucks and it's bullshit, but games in Europe have been €70 for years now, both digitally and in some/most retailers.
If the US price is going to increase from $60 to $70, the EU increase from €70 to €80 was also bound to happen.
To clarify, I'm not saying the outrageous game prices in the EU are justified, I'm just saying they're not surprising.

Yeah but the question is why? EU has indeed already been paying € 70 for years now.

Top Bottom