• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kinda pissed off with Sony's attitude towards Europe

Rodolink

little market like Mexico he says? the biggest consumer in latin america, you forget is close to the US?

anyway its just one week difference in Europe who knows why.

but it does suck here are ten bucks more expensive, at least now we're even, everybody paying 70 for new games.

Justin9mm

Why is everyone so surprised about €80 games? I know it sucks and it's bullshit, but games in Europe have been €70 for years now, both digitally and in some/most retailers.
If the US price is going to increase from $60 to $70, the EU increase from €70 to €80 was also bound to happen.
To clarify, I'm not saying the outrageous game prices in the EU are justified, I'm just saying they're not surprising.
Increasing to $109 here in Australia!

Converting the difference you guys pay €12 more than us

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
They'll know you will buy it anyway.

It was the same with Microsoft last gen.

How about a single “Fuck you Sony” thread?

getting a bit polluted here with multiple threads?

You're right. We need more positive Sony threads
/s

Sony should be called out for their shit. For too long they could get away with shitting on people with their "monopoly,", and now theyre finally getting called out for it.

Shit Sony has done they got no flak for:

* Blocking cross-platform play with other consoles (including permamently and irreversably locking your Epic account to PS4 if you've ever played any Epic game there)

* Dismissing backwards compatibility with claim that "gamers don't actually want it" (at the same time [mid-2017] Microsoft reported that almost 50% of their users tried backwards compatibility on Xbox One and logged over 508 million hours of gameplay, this May the number passed 1 billion)

* Blocking third-party subscription services like EA Access, claiming they're "not a good value for PlayStation consumers" (EA Access currently offers 50+ full games and more stuff for five bucks a month)

* Severely gimping Bethesda's mod support in Skyrim and Fallout 4 (Sony bans custom models, color patterns, scripts, video and audio files and much more - basically everything that's used in 99% of mods)

But, seriously. What do you have against Sony being called out? And are you also annoyed by all the positive threads, or is it only the other way around?

Last edited:

Puskas

I see it as a win. That means we'll have a whole week to cancel PS5 pre-orders once Crowbcat's 'PS5 : defective in arrival' video hits YT.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Doesn't matter; most people in all regions will most likely have to wait until next year to snag one. (realistically)

Last edited:
We pay the most for both the Console and the games, we get the system a week later.Even little markets like Mexico get it before Europe I mean WTF?

I have mine pre-ordered,but I'm still unsure weather I want to go ahead with it. I'd at least hope Sony has a change of mind and moves the EU launch with the rest of the world.
fuckin-straya-cunt.jpg

So you think it's right?
1 $ =/= 1 €
We already paid more than US yet they even increase compared to that while Euro having a larger value than Dollar.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe comparing the $60 to €70 isn't exactly correct.

In Europe the €70 price tag includes the Value-added tax (i.e. sales tax) in the price, which is to my knowledge roughly 20~25% across Europe.

In the US, the $60 price tag does not include any sales taxes since the Federal government does not collect a uniform sales tax across the country. Instead sales taxes are collected by individual states/localities across the US and this number varies from state to state, generally between 5~10%. So the actual price of a $60 game in the US is really around ~$63-66 once sales taxes are added in, but this number is not shown in the RRP unlike in Europe.

Ultimately though, I think the price difference between the US and EU games games come down to much higher sales taxation in Europe compared to the US: 5~10 vs 20~25%.

Edit: Though that being said, without VAT one is paying around ~€58 per game currently (assuming 20% VAT), which is still anout ~$9 higher than $60, but not as much. I'm not sure what the reason behind this is and if it has anything to do with currency exchange, or some other factors.

Last edited:

DinoD

They'll know you will buy it anyway.

It was the same with Microsoft last gen.

You're right. We need more positive Sony threads
/s

Sony should be called out for their shit. For too long they could get away with shitting on people with their "monopoly,", and now theyre finally getting called out for it.

Shit Sony has done they got no flak for:

* Blocking cross-platform play with other consoles (including permamently and irreversably locking your Epic account to PS4 if you've ever played any Epic game there)

* Dismissing backwards compatibility with claim that "gamers don't actually want it" (at the same time [mid-2017] Microsoft reported that almost 50% of their users tried backwards compatibility on Xbox One and logged over 508 million hours of gameplay, this May the number passed 1 billion)

* Blocking third-party subscription services like EA Access, claiming they're "not a good value for PlayStation consumers" (EA Access currently offers 50+ full games and more stuff for five bucks a month)

* Severely gimping Bethesda's mod support in Skyrim and Fallout 4 (Sony bans custom models, color patterns, scripts, video and audio files and much more - basically everything that's used in 99% of mods)

But, seriously. What do you have against Sony being called out? And are you also annoyed by all the positive threads, or is it only the other way around?

I guess you are calling it out for yourself.

As a fellow gamer, I don't really care about any of the points you listed.

Yes. You can still choose other platform for your gaming. There are others out there.

Ozzie666

I can't believe Australia and New Zealand will be getting the console first in the world based on time zone. I would suspect it has to do with our close proximity to China or wherever they are manufactured. Usually we are behind Japan, Europe and America for this stuff.

Not complaining. Nice to be included in the first wave.

Thesnipergecko

Neo Member
I see it as a week for everyone else to beta test the system, UI, failure rates, network load etc.

Real hands on reviews I'd believe over the likes of IGN etc. It gives us an additional week to decide if it will still be worth the purchase.

Dodkrake

Banned
Prices in the US are without tax, right and depend on the state? Our prices here are always with tax

The Oculus is actually far more expensive in euro than it is in dollars, even when you factor in all taxes.

Suffice to say:

VAT in Europe can range wildly, but for the sake of argument, let's make it an average of 20%. Same for the US, so let's say a flat 8%. Let's grab the PS5 as an example

PS5 - Without Taxes
  • EU - in Euro
    • Disk - €415.83
    • Digital - €332.50
  • EU - in Dollars
    • Disk - $493.07
    • Digital - $394.26
  • US
    • Disk - $499
    • Digital - $399
Conclusion: Without taxes, the PS5 is cheaper in the EU

PS5 - With Taxes
  • EU - in Euro
    • Disk - €499
    • Digital - €399
  • EU - in Dollars
    • Disk - $591.69
    • Digital - $473.11
  • US
    • Disk - $538.92
    • Digital - $430.92
Conclusion: With taxes, the PS5 is more expensive in the EU

It all comes down to local taxes, not Sony or Microsoft being dicks.

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

It's been clear since early last gen that Sony is cocky enough to think they can shit on their fanbase and get away with it..
I want my PS exclusive games, but I'm getting to a point where I just don't want to play their BS game to get them anymore.

See I went PC instead because fuck 80 euros for a game

JCK75

See I went PC instead because fuck 80 euros for a game

I've long been a PC gamer, consoles to me used to just be to play a few exclusives but lately I've used Xbox a bit more since gamepass became a thing and it benefits me on the PC too.

TimFL

US and co. get to beta test the system for a week. Any „game breaking“ annoyances will most likely be fixed within the first 2 weeks.

Vawn

Banned
We pay the most for both the Console and the games, we get the system a week later.Even little markets like Mexico get it before Europe I mean WTF?

I have mine pre-ordered,but I'm still unsure weather I want to go ahead with it. I'd at least hope Sony has a change of mind and moves the EU launch with the rest of the world.

It is one week man. Console launches have been staggered by months or even a year in the past.

kikii

here in Finland

PS5Disc= 529-549€
PS5DE-429-449€
PS5 Games (normal edition= 54,99-74,99€) ex. spider-man MM = 59,99€

:messenger_weary:

TimFL

here in Finland

PS5Disc= 529-549€
PS5DE-429-449€
PS5 Games (normal edition= 54,99-74,99€) ex. spider-man MM = 59,99€

:messenger_weary:
You‘re wrong. Spidey can‘t be called a normal edition in this case, because it is and was always advertised as a trimmed down standalone experience and no true, fully fledged sequel (e.g. more of The Lost Legacy than Uncharted 4).

That could mean that these standalone piece games that went for 39-49€ here, could now be 59€.
To add ontop of that, base game price was always 69,99€ in europe... so it‘s probably their new pricing tier for the standalone DLC type experience game.

Spidey + Spidey Remaster are probably on par with todays 69,99€ base games, so the price makes sense.

That being said... no free upgrade for Spidey PS4 is an absolute disgrace with companies like CDPR advertising massive next gen version upgrades for free.

kikii

You‘re wrong. Spidey can‘t be called a normal edition in this case, because it is and was always advertised as a trimmed down standalone experience and no true, fully fledged sequel (e.g. more of The Lost Legacy than Uncharted 4).

That could mean that these standalone piece games that went for 39-49€ here, could now be 59€.
To add ontop of that, base game price was always 69,99€ in europe... so it‘s probably their new pricing tier for the standalone DLC type experience game.

Spidey + Spidey Remaster are probably on par with todays 69,99€ base games, so the price makes sense.

That being said... no free upgrade for Spidey PS4 is an absolute disgrace with companies like CDPR advertising massive next gen version upgrades for free.
baNDEAi.jpg

w2Szp6Q.jpg

JCoESk0.jpg

Bryank75

Banned

I was going to start a thread too but decided not to... I think a week later and charging us more really goes to show they take Europe for granted now.

It shouldn't be like this, you have to work extra hard to get customers but you also have to work to keep them and it seems that they have forgotten this.

The European PSN store is still way behind the US, customer service is way behind too and we get all the cool new stuff later than the US, even though we are a bigger market and make them more money.

I wouldn't mind if they were giving us true exclusives but all the PC port talk is really annoying, they are failing on multiple fronts for me.

Still have my PS5 and a second for my son pre-ordered but it wouldn't take much to push me to PC. I'm building a rig anyway but not specifically for gaming.

The European PSN store is still way behind the US, customer service is way behind too and we get all the cool new stuff later than the US, even though we are a bigger market and make them more money.

Is this really true, though? Like I was saying above, population doesn't mean much when we're talking about luxury entertainment products. I could be wrong, but I suspect Americans spend a lot more since they tend to have higher salaries and more disposable income even compared to other rich countries.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Mexico is one of the most important country that consume videogames... So respect my country

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Is this really true, though? Like I was saying above, population doesn't mean much when we're talking about luxury entertainment products. I could be wrong, but I suspect Americans spend a lot more since they tend to have higher salaries and more disposable income even compared to other rich countries.
The middle class in the US makes more (around 60k) but it's much smaller than Europe. European middle class earn around 45k in most countries but that is after quite high taxes to fund government programs, healthcare etc.
There are countries in Europe that do not follow the trend, like Norway and Luxembourg that make more. Lux makes 71k on average for instance. But that is an outlier.

Here are the figures by region as of Sept 2020;

The middle class in the US makes more (around 60k) but it's much smaller than Europe. European middle class earn around 45k in most countries but that is after quite high taxes to fund government programs, healthcare etc.
There are countries in Europe that do not follow the trend, like Norway and Luxembourg that make more. Lux makes 71k on average for instance. But that is an outlier.

Here are the figures by region as of Sept 2020;

Europe represents the largest share of PS4 units, it looks like, but what about games and accessories?? Aha! :messenger_sunglasses:

I feel like we would need to see total revenue by region or something.

The Oculus is actually far more expensive in euro than it is in dollars, even when you factor in all taxes.

Suffice to say:

VAT in Europe can range wildly, but for the sake of argument, let's make it an average of 20%. Same for the US, so let's say a flat 8%. Let's grab the PS5 as an example

PS5 - Without Taxes
  • EU - in Euro
    • Disk - €415.83
    • Digital - €332.50
  • EU - in Dollars
    • Disk - $493.07
    • Digital - $394.26
  • US
    • Disk - $499
    • Digital - $399
Conclusion: Without taxes, the PS5 is cheaper in the EU

PS5 - With Taxes
  • EU - in Euro
    • Disk - €499
    • Digital - €399
  • EU - in Dollars
    • Disk - $591.69
    • Digital - $473.11
  • US
    • Disk - $538.92
    • Digital - $430.92
Conclusion: With taxes, the PS5 is more expensive in the EU

It all comes down to local taxes, not Sony or Microsoft being dicks.

You cant use only one price number for EU.

Because it (MRSP) varies a bit between countries

Like another poster from Finland said, we pay 529-549€ / 429-449€ for the consoles

VAT is 22%

549€ = 650$

We all it "Suomi lisä" aka Finland fee.

Basically we get fucked by tax, currency exchange rate AND above that retailers add "finland fee" which they tend to pull from their ass :D

2018 I bought ultrabook. 1000$ more here than US. (Around 1300$ vs 2300$)

No tax can explain it ;(

Anyway, the weird way to give out prices without tax at US makes it look even worse.

And dont US folks just cheat and buy with 0% tax?

Even we can do that on US amazon by making fake account with Alaskan address and buy psn codes with 0% VAT so I'm sure locals can do it even easier

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
You cant use only one price number for EU.

Because it (MRSP) varies a bit between countries

Like another poster from Finland said, we pay 529-549€ / 429-449€ for the consoles

VAT is 22%

549€ = 650$

We all it "Suomi lisä" aka Finland fee.

Basically we get fucked by tax, currency exchange rate AND above that retailers add "finland fee" which they tend to pull from their ass :D

2018 I bought ultrabook. 1000$ more here than US. (Around 1300$ vs 2300$)

No tax can explain it ;(

Anyway, the weird way to give out prices without tax at US makes it look even worse.

And dont US folks just cheat and buy with 0% tax?

Even we can do that on US amazon by making fake account with Alaskan address and buy psn codes with 0% VAT so I'm sure locals can do it even easier

So your point just makes my point stand. We pay less dollars in the EU, it's just that taxes are higher.

TonyK

80€ is beyond my psychological barrier to pay for a game. My hype for next gen as sunk since that announcement. Now I really don't know what to do about next gen but I can't accept to pay 80€ for a game. I love this hobby but that price seems immoral to me.

Fbh

Meanwhile here in Chile the digital edition of the Ps5 will be 50% more expensive than what the PS4 was at launch, and games will soon be literally twice as much as they were back then too.

And we also make way less (on average) then people in the US and most of the EU.

Shitty economy yay!!!!

Last edited:
The person is in europe and is complaining because one week. And for dessert, using mexico as if they were inferior. Way to go! Clap clap clap

Alphagear

Not bothered about the one week release delay.

More angry about the 70 pounds cost for a game.

Daylight robbery considering thats 90 dollars.

They should have adjusted price to match currency like they did with the console price.

Top Bottom