• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaosobno

I will definitely NOT be using my real name online. The last thing I want is some crazy guy stalking me just because I killed him a few times in some online FPS.

Real name is fine as long as it is OPTIONAL. If they make me use it, I'll just use "Dirk Diggler".

Binabik15

I watched the high quality gameplay vid for the first time. Sooogood.gif

I can't understand people calling it "another brwon shooter", "one hit to die CoD enemies", "looks the same as PS3" et all.

You can see the second Helghast or what they're calling themselves now getting shot a couple of times, then taking cover, coming out of cover while the protagonist is reloading his railgun and *bam* getting shot from off-screen, for example. In fact, they seem to take around the same amount of shots to die as KZ2/3 enemies on normal, which some complain about as bullet sponge-y.

R1 to shoot would be most excellent, even if the DS4 has less slippery triggers I prefer to just press a button over using triggers.

Something interesting for those are care about the actual plot,

KZ4_statue_zpsed7794aa.jpg

Circled appears to a giant statue that the Helghasts built of their new Visari-type figure on their side of the wall on the tallest building for all of Vekta to see. Can't imagine they like that very much.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
To people not impressed:

iSylqprP2LVet.gif

If this doesn't look nextgen then i want whatever you're smoking because clearly you live in another dimension than the rest of us.

This is the best looking game i've seen alongside Driveclub, Deep Down and Infamous 2 Second Son.

The character isn't affected by the air stream, look at his hand. I'm not too impressed tbh.

The character isn't affected by the air stream, look at his hand. I'm not too impressed tbh.

The guy is wearing metal armour....some exo skeleton that would probably be pretty heavy. The ship does not seem to be travelling fast. Do you think that a jet stream of air ig oing make his limbs flail around like a piece of string.

Though it would be more visceral to make it seem like that.

noah111

Still Alive
Posted? Really cool game art, shows the whole "wall" plot they're going with; Utopian Vekta on the left, Helghan refugees on the right. Note the 'spy' angle of it as well, Helghan in Vektan uniform (and vice versa?).

Image is huge said:

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Posted? Really cool game art, shows the whole "wall" plot they're going with; Utopian Vekta on the left, Helghan refugees on the right. Note the 'spy' angle of it as well, Helghan in Vektan uniform (and vice versa?).
I wish they had talked about the direction/concept of the game a bit more at the conference. I love the idea of a divided Vekta. Tons of opportunity for varied environments and being 30 years later opens up new possibilities for weapons.

I'm guessing the Helghast were allowed on Vekta as a compromise to avoid another war after the genocide in KZ3. Neither side was in the shape for another one so soon.

noah111

Still Alive
Something interesting for those are care about the actual plot,

Circled appears to a giant statue that the Helghasts built of their new Visari-type figure on their side of the wall on the tallest building for all of Vekta to see. Can't imagine they like that very much.
Nice catch, here's a higher res version (still hard to make out wtf it is, half destroyed);

1mWlPrB.jpg

I wish they had talked about the direction/concept of the game a bit more at the conference. I love the idea of a divided Vekta. Tons of opportunity for varied environments and being 30 years later opens up new possibilities for weapons.

I'm guessing the Helghast were allowed on Vekta as a compromise to avoid another war after the genocide in KZ3. Neither side was in the shape for another one so soon.
Same here, that's why I can't wait for E3.

jett

D-Member

The Vektan suit is really quite awesome. It's like a nanosuit...except it doesn't look like dogshit.

waypoetic

Banned

That Helghan soldier is not in a Vektan uniform/armor dude.

His armor reminds me very much of the capture trooper.
525_large.jpg

It looks like garfield instead.

You actually have no idea what you're talking about, huh :) The Vektan's are not the Helghast's - and you're refering to the Helghast infiltrator with the cloak from the PS4 demo.

Now that Guerilla has the KZ2 multiplayer dude back I hope they really nail it. Potentially one of the best launch titles.

LOL, don't count on it. Based on what I saw from the demo this game will be even more COD-fied than KZ3. They really want to break all ties with KZ2 for some reason.

waypoetic

Banned
Look at the gunplay and speed of movement. Then compare to KZ2. KZ2 is slow and methodical. This is fast and twitchy.

Also art direction is nothing like KZ2. It's just generic Crysis type stuff.

I wouldn't be against a more fluid movement. Neither you or i have played KZ : SF and none of us know how the controls or the movement feels - but sure, it's not as heavy as Killzone 2. But that's not a bad thing. I'd rather have KZ : SF's controls/weight/feel. to be like the Battlefield 3 controls/weight/feel.

And the art direction...? Are you fucking aware that they're on VEKTA and not the planet of HELGHAN? Do i need to spell out the whole fucking storyline to you?

Castef

Banned
To be honest, I'm quite impressed with the graphics in the game.

Problem is: I tend to consider the whole Killzone franchise a mediocre saga of shooters.

I left Killzone 2 in the middle of the game due to boredom and I played little Killzone 3 multiplayer.

I simply don't think Guerrilla is a very good FPS developer and now I wonder: why is Sony still pushing Killzone so much, considering that, sales-wise, the third chapter even fared worse than the second one?

Would'nt be better if Sony launched a totally new IP along with PlayStation 4, instead of continuing with Killzone? Also, with Destiny coming to the console i guess that the life of the Killzone franchise will be even harder from now on.

I am pretty sure that is rendered in engine isn't? At least assets look just what is in the gameplay vids.

i-Lo

From the Jimmy Falon thread:

That looks beautiful and it highlights that animations were made with 30fps in mind playback in real time, and as such it pops from state to state.

First I have to say, that I don't believe Guerilla Games to be in a position to reinvent shooters. They've been doing the same thing for a decade now and they are good at what they do and Sony obviously wants to use their strength in pushing high fidelity graphics at this critical time.

But if you really are asking what I would like to see in next-gen shooters, then the answer is easy. To use the power to deliver something that can only be done with such power. The gameplay was identical to what we've seen on PS3. Interactive cut-scene - shoot dudes that pop from cover - interactive cut-scene. The bullet time looked completely tacked on...

It was only missing a turret section as a cherry on top :b

Maybe add a more realistic damage model to the enemies. Focus on developing the AI of enemies and your team. Create an enviroment that's something more than dudes in cover. Create inventive new weapons that can't be done on last gen machines (gravity gun anyone?)... all of these are not that hard to create besides the AI.

Of course we can't tell if the whole game follows this pattern, but if it does, I am genuinely disappointed even though this is a sequel. I'm so burned out of linear AAA games already.

There are some hard truths here and few good suggestions. Given it's designed to be a launch title, I do not know how far they will stretch the damage modelling. Remember just how far we came this gen in terms of animation, physics etc. Pertaining to AI, I will say that KZ really does possess one of the better enemy AIs, friendly ones are okay and could definitely use an improvement. Given it is a cover based shooter, it relies on its environment for gameplay. And pertaining weapons, we already saw secondary fire mode but there is still we have yet to learn.

What I took away for the places to be improved are:

• Shadow quality (for certain static objects)
  • Animation quality (deficiency seen in slow-mo)
  • Cloth physics (reactive in nature so as NOT to clip through things during canned/mo-capped animation). This particularly bothered me when I saw a solider's hand go right through his pouch as he saluted me and later the saboteur Helgast right hand did the same as he bent down to kill the player). I am hoping to see Apex clothing's implementation this gen.

grumpy-cat-8141_preview.png

Reminds me of this cat

A few pages back:

waypoetic

Banned
Would'nt be better if Sony launched a totally new IP along with PlayStation 4, instead of continuing with Killzone? Also, with Destiny coming to the console i guess that the life of the Killzone franchise will be even harder from now on.

Good thing you decided to change your mind and wanted to discuss the game, and not trolling every Killzone thread.

--

I guess what you're saying is that Sony should bring out a new FPS IP for the PS4? Sure, but i wouldn't want them to kill off the Killzone-franchise because of it. Alot of us are Killzone-fans you know.

Destiny and Killzone : Shadow Fall are two very different games and i don't see Destiny making it to the top to be honest. My initial thought about Destiny, after seeing gameplay and hearing Bungie talk about it, i thought - "huh, so it might just be a better version of Dust 514 then?". Take from that what you will.

noah111

Still Alive
That Helghan soldier is not in a Vektan uniform/armor dude.

His armor reminds me very much of the capture trooper.
Oh right, my bad. I didn't get a clear look and thought he was a spy in uniform. A bit ironic since the costume design of the techy helghan armor match the utopian vekta while the ISA uniform on the right fits in nicely with the ugly helghast world. :p

I am pretty sure that is rendered in engine isn't? At least assets look just what is in the gameplay vids.
Yeah, it is. It's titled 'art' for some reason, though. So just a render.

Good thing you decided to change your mind and wanted to discuss the game, and not trolling every Killzone thread.

--

I guess what you're saying is that Sony should bring out a new FPS IP for the PS4? Sure, but i wouldn't want them to kill off the Killzone-franchise because of it. Alot of us are Killzone-fans you know.

Destiny and Killzone : Shadow Fall are two very different games and i don't see Destiny making it to the top to be honest. My initial thought about Destiny, after seeing gameplay and hearing Bungie talk about it, i thought - "huh, so it might just be a better version of Dust 514 then?". Take from that what you will.
Sorry for going a bit off topic, but Dust 514 is actually pretty good. I downloaded it and deleted it within 5 minutes of playing, but was convinced to download it again and once you figure out what's going on it's pretty fun. I would describe it as a large scale and slowed down version of TF2 with vehicles. There's a big graphics update coming next week so I would recommend giving it another shot then.

On topic, I definitely would hate it if Sony killed off Killzone, no pun intended. It's a very good franchise that does several things very well, not just the visuals. I know there's tons of people who view it as simply a glorified tech demo, but as you said there are a lot of Killzone fans out there as well.

noah111

Still Alive
Also art direction is nothing like KZ2. It's just generic Crysis type stuff.
Smh, it's not generic at all. I've been wanting to go to Earth since KZ2 was revealed, as that is where everything is high tech / humanity lives in harmony and whatnot.

Vekta is the closest thing to that, since they can afford such a society. The history of KZ is really interesting, and i'm definitely glad they're diving into the story more.

Here's to hoping we travel to earth at the end of the game and it ends on a cliffhanger (main character siding with Helghast finally?).

Castef

Banned

You have a VERY sad interpretation of "trolling". :( Get a smile now and then, it helps!

A generation-leap is the good moment to introduce a new franchise (see Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Mass Effect...).

Right now I see Killzone as a franchise which failed to gather an equivalent fan base as Halo or Gears of Wars (remaining in the sphere of sci-fi shooters).

So, according to me Sony would do better trying to launch a new franchise with PlayStation 4 instead of proposing another chapter of Killzone.

This, without taking into account that, according to me, the reason why the Killzone franchise never properly "exploded", sales wise, is because the games are very good looking yet not very good to play.

NOTE: i also play on Xbox 360 and I really like Halo, so this could have influenced my experience with Killzone. Maybe a Playstation-only user who do not play Halo has better chances to enjoy the Killzone games?

Well, I tried Dust 514 and... err... let's say that I like the idea and I don't like the way it has been executed. :)

That said: yes, according to me Destiny and Killzone could share the very same "market" on PlayStation and if Destiny will bring a similar quality as the Halo franchise it will chomp sales from Killzone, expecially considering online play.

Oh right, my bad. I didn't get a clear look and thought he was a spy in uniform. A bit ironic since the costume design of the techy helghan armor match the utopian vekta while the ISA uniform on the right fits in nicely with the ugly helghast world. :p

Yeah, it is. It's titled 'art' for some reason, though. So just a render.

Though it is massively cleaned up, it is pretty damn impressive given they are rendering that whole scene pretty much when playing it.

waypoetic

Banned
Right now I see Killzone as a franchise which failed to gather an equivalent fan base as Halo or Gears of Wars (remaining in the sphere of sci-fi shooters).

NOTE: i also play on Xbox 360 and I really like Halo, so this could have influenced my experience with Killzone. Maybe a Playstation-only user who do not play Halo has better chances to enjoy the Killzone games?

.. And that's all i needed to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom