• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the GT video linked in the first post the footage the PS4 uploaded via the Social button?

And COD is a shitty teacher. I was really hoping next gen we'd see developers do something different, but if KZSF is going to be any indication, we've got another 10 years of linear, highly scripted rollercoaster-style thrill rides heading our way. I can barely contain my excitement.

My first thought when they showed this was , "Well someone's been paying attention to CoD reveals at E3." As long as it's not a real world shooter, I'm fine with it.

Instead what is happening is they are both learning from COD instead of each other
And COD is a shitty teacher. I was really hoping next gen we'd see developers do something different, but if KZSF is going to be any indication, we've got another 10 years of linear, highly scripted rollercoaster-style thrill rides heading our way. I can barely contain my excitement.

Rengoku

Texture resolution isn't that high

If I understand correctly, the 8GB GDDR5 Ram spec was a last minute bump, it was originally only going to be 4GB GDDR5, maybe the texture resolution will get a bump up now that Guerilla has 8GB to work with.

VanWinkle

Man, that footage recorded from the PS4's share functionality looks better than I thought it would! Not amazing, obviously, but very very decent.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
same old FPS bullshit, new coat of paint.

All the wasted potential of such beautiful graphics for such a dumb story, bad writing, and tired mechanics.

The quality still isn't perfect from the share button footage.

Not perfect, but damn is it good. I assume they'll allow third parties to watermark them eventually, but this is a feature I'm definitely going to get a lot of mileage out of. Mainly watching other people's how-to/cheat/walk-thru videos.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing I noticed looking at the screens/footage again is that the FoV is really nice. Much wider than KZ2/3 and most console FPS this gen. Other devs should take note.

As much as I loved how fleshed out the world looked, it lacked the raw visceral grittiness of the Killzone 2 showing. It just looked so standard-- cool-guy explosion, guy gets up and is thrown in the action where he just points and kills. No sense of fear in the actual gameplay, nowhere near the sense of panic or invasion of the HGH in your face...

I am hoping the game retains all of that. There at least seems to be an emphasis on story, at least going by what was said before they aired the demo

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Looks gorgeous. Love the art direction. Too bad it's still a shooter, though.

Fixed for me. Looked incredible but I can't play most FPSs without getting motion sickness. :(

Rengoku

same old FPS bullshit, new coat of paint.

All the wasted potential of such beautiful graphics for such a dumb story, bad writing, and tired mechanics.

I'd love a new IP from Guerilla that isn't an FPS. But that's a risky move especially for a launch game. Lets face it, when you're trying to sell a system, a same old FPS bullshit game is what's gonna sell.

Teletraan1

Banned
Graphics are a little too angular for my tastes. :p

I am not sure what people are expecting from the game play in a FPS. I guess they could add extra stuff like environmental kills shooting out columns or supports to kill of enemies but the main thing you do in a First Person Shooter is shoot things. There were actually people in this thread shitting on having to flank your enemies. What is the alternative? Serious Sam game play where you just have a bunch of enemies rushing you. You can only do so much with a FPS to differentiate yourself without a lot of gimmicks. Do people hate the non gravity gun sections of the Half-Life series? The standard gunplay in that series is ok but nothing spectacular imo but I cant imagine half of the boring game play comments that have appeared in this thread to exist in a HL3 reveal thread. Or it could just be some sour grapes assholes shitting up the thread but even a mod made this kind of comment so who knows.

I'd love a new IP from Guerilla that isn't an FPS. But that's a risky move especially for a launch game. Lets face it, when you're trying to sell a system, a same old FPS bullshit game is what's gonna sell.

Well, it's nice that Guerilla is also working on a new non-FPS IP then :)

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
It looks good and all..

But my beef with this is that I dont really understand the universe, the whole Killzone universe and where this one fits in it? It´s not really coherent with the others it seems like.
This could easily have been named something else as far as I see it..

but it looked quite nice..

Luthos

Even if some of you so vehemently hate first person shooters, it's amazing how mad you are getting. It's obvious you weren't gonna get a FPS game anyway, so just look at the tech, and imagine what other developers might be able to do for your favorite genres.

I mean jesus, these are just a few games of the very first wave of games. Obviously they're not gonna have a game from each genre to showcase you.

The art at the top of killzone.com shows a banner with the ISA soldier (assuming its the same guy as the trailer) standing on the helghast side of the wall. However it also shows a helghast standing on the ISA side. Possible dual campaigns?

As long as there is an audience for this kind of game great put it out, make millions. But i think its important also to realize that for some, this kind of thing is completely unimpressive. To me it still looks horribly fake in the same exact ways these games always do. They have learned nothing. The lighting is a bit creamier and there seems to be more going on at once but what is going on is just as lifeless as ever. I dont see where the "game" is in this. Id be bored out of my mind playing something like this. Its like a scripted tour where you can sort of choose who to shoot and where to duck but there is no "game". Like i said, if many are excited for this then im glad. But this isnt even gaming to me and i dont know how you guys can sit through something like this. Hollywood movies blow this away. I dont see how its igniting imaginations any further than movies already have, and as a "game" its weaker than even old 8 bit games. Those who are enthusiastic are justified, but dont be so quick to mock those who are unimpressed. It really does look like the same old fps with a slightly shinier coat of paint.

Thank god they make games for more than just adult males.

Boulayman

As long as there is an audience for this kind of game great put it out, make millions. But i think its important also to realize that for some, this kind of thing is completely unimpressive. To me it still looks horribly fake in the same exact ways these games always do. They have learned nothing. The lighting is a bit creamier and there seems to be more going on at once but what is going on is just as lifeless as ever. I dont see where the "game" is in this. Id be bored out of my mind playing something like this. Its like a scripted tour where you can sort of choose who to shoot and where to duck but there is no "game". Like i said, if many are excited for this then im glad. But this isnt even gaming to me and i dont know how you guys can sit through something like this. Hollywood movies blow this away. I dont see how its igniting imaginations any further than movies already have, and as a "game" its weaker than even old 8 bit games. Those who are enthusiastic are justified, but dont be so quick to mock those who are unimpressed. It really does look like the same old fps with a slightly shinier coat of paint.

Thank god they make games for more than just adult males

? That's a tad of an odd conclusion to reach.

Mikey Jr.

It looks good and all..

But my beef with this is that I dont really understand the universe, the whole Killzone universe and where this one fits in it? It´s not really coherent with the others it seems like.
This could easily have been named something else as far as I see it..

but it looked quite nice..

As a Killzone fan, I can tell you that this looks like Killzone. I think what is tripping people up is that it's in a setting we haven't seen in a LONG time (Killzone 1), and even there it was in a warzone state. People are so used to seeing Killzone in dark colours, brown, gritty, that when they show something super clean and bright, it looks weird.

In the video, there is "another city" that is more like the Killzone you know. Give them a chance to show that off.

Norml

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

Holy crap! Looks like some Star Wars movie :)

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
As a Killzone fan, I can tell you that this looks like Killzone. I think what is tripping people up is that it's in a setting we haven't seen in a LONG time (Killzone 1), and even there it was in a warzone state. People are so used to seeing Killzone in dark colours, brown, gritty, that when they show something super clean and bright, it looks weird.

In the video, there is "another city" that is more like the Killzone you know. Give them a chance to show that off.

Yeah, most likely this is it.
The colors were more final fantasy than killzone.. :D

RoKKeR

Hot damn, watching the gameplay demo again on the beautiful OLED Vita screen. Incredible.

Imagining playing this via Vita remote play...damn I'm pumped. It's going to be fantastic as long as big games are supported. I imagine something as big as Killzone will be.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I really hope we get a mix of the pristine ISA Vekta and the Helghan slums. It would be add a lot of environment variety and would do a lot to demo how the PS4 handles different types of lighting and environments.

rdrr gnr

I gotta say, I like the title of the game. I’m glad they didn’t just go with Killzone 4.
Same for inFAMOUS. I wonder if that's because they think people will see "4" and are put-off by not having played the previous titles. Yet don't numbered sequels do better? Maybe it's just a launch thing.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
having Killzone as a launch game is extremely smart on Sony's behalf and it gives the title a chance to reestablish itself as a top tier shooter this gen among the other big name ones. The only potential problem I can see is IF Activision decides to release a CoD during PS4's launch. If that happens many will wonder if they really need 2 shooters and CoD being the more known will have it's seat on the fps throne once again. Hoping that doesn't happen though and Activision takes a break from the yearly release of CoD

LEGGZZZZ

Interesting that there won't be a multiplayer beta this time around since it's a launch game.
Can only hope for the best.

having Killzone as a launch game is extremely smart on Sony's behalf and it gives the title a chance to reestablish itself as a top tier shooter this gen among the other big name ones. The only potential problem I can see is IF Activision decides to release a CoD during PS4's launch. If that happens many will wonder if they really need 2 shooters and CoD being the more known will have it's seat on the fps throne once again. Hoping that doesn't happen though and Activision takes a break from the yearly release of CoD

Well, they already confirmed a COD title for this holiday...

Deadbeat

Banned
having Killzone as a launch game is extremely smart on Sony's behalf and it gives the title a chance to reestablish itself as a top tier shooter this gen among the other big name ones.
You cant beat your competition by out cloning them. Cod didnt beat halo by being a halo clone. It beat halo by being something different.

Killzone is now being a cod clone and thus it will never amount to anything more. They should have stuck with what they did best.*

*havent seen multiplayer yet but im not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom