• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp3000

They would if they were talking about KZ2 which is one of the best FPS's of this gen. Crytek can learn a lot about gun recoil, gun sounds, bullet impacting enemies etc.. from GG which makes this demo all the more disappointing since it does not seem to be using KZ2 as the basis for its gunplay but we shall see..

GG can learn a lot about how not to be a linear, set piece driven, corridor shooter from the first Crysis

I never thought the best thing about it was its graphics anyway.

I am hyped for that patented KZ "weight" in all the glory that Next-Gen can deliver. That being said, KZ's feel shed a few kilograms with KZ3, so I'm hoping to god that that isn't a trend.

Vire

The one thing that is disappointing is the hit animations don't seem as satisfying as previous Killzone games.

Bodies used to convulse after getting peppered. (Sounds sick I know)

I just want them to make your perspective from your HEAD, not your GUN. It drove me nuts in the PS3 Killzone titles that you appeared to be really short all the time because your perspective was so close to the ground, because it was your gun and not your head's point of view.

adelante

But that's what I mean. What new gameplay experiences are you hypothesizing? First, this was only a 7 minute demo, and secondly, an FPS has to play like an FPS. It's not a platformer, it's not an RPG, it's shooting, battlefield scenarios against groups of enemies, vehicular combat perhaps, etc.

Were you expecting something like Mirror's Edge?

Why should I be hypothesizing when the onus is on the developer to promote diversity in gameplay. Surely they, of all people, can come up with better ideas than I can anyway but a couple of things do come to mind (like heavy use of physics as a means to engage the enemy eg. shooting a pillar with a launcher which causes it to collaspe on them...u know, something that would've been too computationally expensive current gen).

Granted, it was a 7 minute pretty demo but it doesn't diminish the fact that the gameplay was just boring to me.

I am hyped for that patented KZ "weight" in all the glory that Next-Gen can deliver. That being said, KZ's feel shed a few kilograms with KZ3, so I'm hoping to god that that isn't a trend.
I felt that it at least it reconciled the IQ of 3 with the post-processing effects more prominent in 2. I hope this combination of the best parts of 2 and 3 follows through for the whole game, the multiplayer would be great if they made it closer to 2 again.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
No. I'm hyped because of the gameplay and the story. Some lame plot holes aside in KZ3, there is actually some really interesting stuff going on and great antagonists. Helps if you read the backstory though, too bad they never go into detail on that in the games.

As far as gameplay, it's an FPS? What are you expecting? And as Evolved1 said, they are doing things a lot of FPS's don't. It's far from generic.

The moment they allow you to play as the Helghast is the moment they lose all their mystique and appeal. Part of the reason so many people like the Helghast is because the way they are portrayed, and they can't portray them the same if it's from their perspective. Did anyone actually like the Helghast board room cutscenes in KZ3?

The boardroom cutscene was fine except for the main scrawny antagonist Jorhan Brimve Stahl not fitting in with general helghast physique. Though am sure they had an explanation for this.

If anything it made them more human thats for sure. And with how this conflict is would be far more interesting to see whats going on in the Helghast side than another romp through as an ISA soldier.

meta4

GG can learn a lot about how not to be a linear, set piece driven, corridor shooter from the first Crysis

I never thought the best thing about it was its graphics anyway.

First of all I was responding to a person who stated we should not call Crysis 2 horrible in a KZ thread. Second there is nothing inherently wrong with set piece driven corridor shooters if it is done well. KZ2 did it in such a brilliant way. Nothing in Crysis comes close to the visceral gunplay in KZ2. The atmosphere, muzzle flash, the rag doll physics, the gun recoil, gun sound etc..

TheD

The Detective

Speak for yourself.
The controls of Killzone 2 are a huge pain in the arse.
The more responsive the controls are, the better.

Uh...am I crazy for thinking that the gameplay bits looks like something on the PS3?

Don't get me wrong, the engine is rendering some crazy stuff during the in-engine cut scenes, but the gameplay portions look so current gen.

Kinda disappointed the game takes place 30 years after 3. I wanted to see the immediate repercussions of the nuke and who the bad guy was in the final cutscene.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Uh...am I crazy for thinking that the gameplay bits looks like something on the PS3?

Don't get me wrong, the engine is rendering some crazy stuff during the in-engine cut scenes, but the gameplay portions look so current gen.

It does, but I think a portion of that is due to the area they're in. When they get out into the city, it looks amazing. But a cement landscape with debris isn't really great at showcasing next gen.

adelante

I feel you bro. It's exactly what I meant by my statement earlier

Aaron

The moment they allow you to play as the Helghast is the moment they lose all their mystique and appeal. Part of the reason so many people like the Helghast is because the way they are portrayed, and they can't portray them the same if it's from their perspective. Did anyone actually like the Helghast board room cutscenes in KZ3?
They were better than the totally jarhead generic-ness of the ISF. Seriously, maintaining the mystery of the Helghast doesn't mean shit if the side I'm stuck playing with bores, and even annoys me. The Helghast cut-scenes were about the only thing good about KZ3.

meta4

Speak for yourself.
The controls of Killzone 2 are a huge pain in the arse.
The more responsive the controls are, the better.

I think why many KZ fans still feel so fondly about KZ2 over 3 has a lot to do with the art style as well. Plus they severely nerfed recoil for a lot of guns in 3 when compared to 2 IMO. The gun sounds in 3 are phenomenal though.

You haven't seen very many PC games, have you?

No PC game apart from Crysis 3 looks comparable to this. Not even BF3 so I would like to know what PC games have you been playing.

It does, but I think a portion of that is due to the area they're in. When they get out into the city, it looks amazing. But a cement landscape with debris isn't really great at showcasing next gen.

True. I guess I was expecting a PS2 > PS3 transition but that's not the case. Then again, it's going to be a release title and release titles are almost never indicative of the power of the console.

grumble

Looks nice aside from being covered in brown.

Gameplay looks so-so at this point. A little more 'pop' is needed, by getting chunkier feels to the guns. We don't need corridor shooters next gen; something a little more open would be good.

Looks nice aside from being covered in brown.

Gameplay looks so-so at this point. A little more 'pop' is needed, by getting chunkier feels to the guns. We don't need corridor shooters next gen; something a little more open would be good.

brown?

where did they show that it was corridory in that particular video?

I'm so glad they've left that garbage cast of characters behind. I hope this game is as fresh as possible.

oyXH2.gif

Vire

Shadowfall is a terrible title btw.

With no context, "Killzone Shadow Fall" is something a 13 year old who dreams of Dragonball Z all day would come up with...

Oh well.

I'm getting a very Palestine conflict sense from the premise of this game. Not sure what the entire back-story is yet but perhaps the ISA, feeling guilty for nuking Helghan (albeit accidently) now grant the Helghast asylum on Vekta. Fast forward 25 yrs, add in Helghast sympathy and support by Vektan rights groups and sheer Helghan determination and we find that not only have the Helghast made Vekta there new home but they're in the process of slowly and systematically taking it over...

I was about to say this. Interesting themes.

Exuro

Graphics looked good but it feels like ive played this game already a 1000 times this generation.
That was my issue as well. The helicopter scene over the city looks fantastic but as soon as they got to the gameplay it screamed current gen shooter and I lost interest

BadAss2961

The only game that is on par with this is Crysis 3, and hell, I think this easily looks better anyway IMO.
Yep.

I'm not trying to start a war. I'm a PC gamer myself, but Guerrilla is better than Crytek. Crysis on consoles is no match for the Killzone games. Shadow Fall, developed for hardware on par with current higher level PCs, surpasses Crysis 3. And it's still several months away from release.

Just my opinion, of course.

ZaCH3000

Yep.

I'm not trying to start a war. I'm a PC gamer myself, but Guerrilla is better than Crytek. Crysis on consoles is no match for the Killzone games. Shadow Fall, developed for hardware on par with current higher level PCs, surpasses Crysis 3. And it's still several months away from release.

Just my opinion, of course.

I agree with this.

What they showed today is old code. The entire demo was extremely unpolished and incomplete. I think its safe to say with the unveil of 8GB of GDDR5 that the engine GG is using is about to receive massive overhauls because KZ4 isn't even on par with the Capcom game despite being much better engine developers. Its still ahead of Crysis3, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom