• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith is donating all future residuals of his Miramax films to charity

Apathy

I've gotten the chance to meet Kevin Smith, dude was genuinely a good guy. I've also gone to many of his "night with Kevin Smith" shows. Say what you might about his movies, he is just one of those people in Hollywood that is actually a good person.

strafer

I've gotten the chance to meet Kevin Smith, dude was genuinely a good guy. I've also gone to many of his "night with Kevin Smith" shows. Say what you might about his movies, he is just one of those people in Hollywood that is actually a good person.

I would love to meet him, but be careful asking him a question though, he will answer with a story, I've seen his live stuff, there's like a 1 h 30 minute show and maybe two questions, man knows how to answer.

black_13

Banned
Kevin Smith has always been a good guy. Listen to any of his podcasts and he really tells it like it is. He doesn't really bullshit like alot of other Hollywood people. This just further proves it to me. I feel bad since he was just making movies and he really doesn't need to do this but he does it anyway.

Raiden

Banned
If one of your friends is ousted as a rapist, would you not be stunned?

I know people think that it's easy to spot a serial rapist (or murderer, or any kind of other demons walking about in this world), but really, there's a reason "hiding in plain sight" is a thing. You can be more easily fooled by others than you think.

Exactlt. Especially when these girls were terrified to speak out because he is a hollywood giant and could crush their careers or worse with some fancy lawyers.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Kevin Smith has always been a good guy. Listen to any of his podcasts and he really tells it like it is. He doesn't really bullshit like alot of other Hollywood people. This just further proves it to me. I feel bad since he was just making movies and he really doesn't need to do this but he does it anyway.

That makes a change from his "tell it like it is" production blogs where he loved working with people, only to trash them after the film came out.

Seems like there's a lot of people in here that need to meet one of those dangerous combinations of charisma, intelligence, and power, if they think their ability to judge character is so impeccable.

Or not, ideally. It'd be nice if nobody met one of those ever again. My point is, people can be dumb about those close to them, and when the person close to them is playing with that stacked of a deck, well...

The only sin I could attribute to Mr. Smith with any confidence is maybe he's a bit dumb. Dumber than Weinstein, at the very least. But to say he -had to- have known when he's doing some kind of adult-ish version of tearfully burning memorabilia speaks to a person who believes the worst, all the time. He's being a bit maudlin about it, but still managing to make his gesture financially significant to those affected.

Really, what else could he do?

Futureman

Didn't the Weinsteins sell Miramax to Disney years ago? Unless there are some financial tie-ins still, I don't think either of the brothers would be profiting off of any residuals at this juncture.

The point is Smith is still profiting to this day off movies that were funded and largely allowed to be made because of Weinstein.

I'm not sure if I buy that he didn't know anything. No one here knows him personally so just because he comes off as a good guy speaking in public doesn't mean much. Either way like a post above pointed out, even if Smith just knew vague details of what was going on, it shows how our society, not just in the film industry, treats women.

Good on him though for supporting women making films. My fiance's sister just wrapped directing on her first full length film.

Good man. People can goof on him for whatever, but he seems to genuinely care. Like even something as silly as Yoga Hosers seems genuinely well-intentioned as oddball entertainment for young girls.

I know people think that it's easy to spot a serial rapist (or murderer, or any kind of other demons walking about in this world), but really, there's a reason "hiding in plain sight" is a thing. You can be more easily fooled by others than you think.

Good post.

I would be stunned. Then I would spend much of my free time doing whatever I could to make amends and to see my former friend's life and legacy ruined.

rudger

I was listening to...Lovett or Leave it? One of those family of podcasts. And one of the guests was a woman who worked in the same office building as Weinstein. She said many of her friends were hit on by him and she had heard rumors, but even she was shocked by the news. She didn’t expect it to be “so rapey”. People draw a pretty big line between inappropriate behavior and rape. We shouldn’t just assume that people who worked closely with Harvey must obviously have known what he was doing.

I choose to believe Kevin Smith didn’t know the extent of Harvey’s actions for the time being.

I posted about this in the Reese Witherspoon thread yesterday but I am glad media outlets are picking it up. Kevin has always been very loose lipped so I can actually see why someone may not have confided in him if they didn’t want it to become public (and I don’t mean that as a shot at Kevin). He had no problem blowing up Bruce Willis for like 90 min on one of his specials after that “cop out” movie he directed. I had stopped listening to some of the podcasts of his because he was too high too often but still listened to Hollywood Babylon so I was interested to hear what he had to say. I was hoping he would talk about Affleck but maybe he isn’t ready yet. I am not under the impression that they are close or really even friends anymore for the most part so I doubt he is hiding anything to cover up for his “buddy”. Here is another story of Kevin telling Harvey to shut the fuck up at a movie of his. It doesn’t add specifically to this story but is just more information on their relationship.

http://www.vulture.com/2011/07/kevin_smith_harvey_weinstein.html

His movies are extremely hit and miss to me and I haven’t even seen the last several but I tend to believe he probably has a big heart and is the first person I have heard put their money where their mouth is on this whole disaster. I liked him as a person before and this elevates him further. I hope I am not let down by a future story of someone saying he knew more than he let on. (Not that me being let down matters at all in this whole thing)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Good on Smith to donate the profits to charity, but I find it extremely hard to believe he was unaware of Weinstein’s activities.

sinkfla87

This.

I guess everyone that worked with, for or was associated with be it by family, neighbor and acquaintance to Dennis Rader should be treated as serial killers as well. Anyone here ever had a friend or coworker that you would never expect to do something bad or evil, end up doing something really bad that completely blew your mind? Because I have.

With that said, I wouldn't be shocked if Smith heard rumblings of Weinstein being a creep but probably not to the level of the disgusting reality of his crimes. Look at how many people never spoke up out of fear of reprisal or got paid off to remain silent. Do you really think those people communicated it to Smith (someone close to Weinstein) despite the possibility of it getting back to Harvey and having their worst fears realized?

stupei

It's hard. It feels like everyone had to actually know something, but I do think there is a certain amount of reality distortion that happens to these people that have read absolute bullshit stories about themselves for years that they know aren't true. I think to an extent that the things that are just "known" without having heard them directly from any sort of verbal source can become background noise.

I also think there can be a big difference between the things that women tell each other about which men to watch out for and the things that a lot of men might know, unfortunately. If that man is seen as being close to the predator, especially so. Not many people are going to risk putting themselves in the unsafe position of saying something about the bad behavior of another guy's close friend, because for all they know he engages in similar behaviors.

Ponn

Banned
That makes a change from his "tell it like it is" production blogs where he loved working with people, only to trash them after the film came out.

Somebody sure has an axe to grind. Do you have proof on this one or is this another opinion thing like the last one? You gotta start showing receipts at some point.

ZeroX03

Banned
When people are trying to say Kevin knew, knew what exactly?

That Weinstein was an asshole? Sure, everyone knows that, Kevin’s mentioned it plenty,

That Weinstein was a creep to women? Most of the movie industry heard rumblings, would be weird if he hadn’t heard.

That Weinstein was a serial rapist? It seems a lot of people were caught off guard with that extreme.

It’s not all or nothing I think.

Honestly it surprises me he has that much money to spare.

He’s said on podcasts that his net worth isn’t close to what is reported online ($25 mil), but we’re talking residuals of roughly $24k a year on those movies which as the director doesn’t seem unfeasible. He talks and hosts, sells tickets to live events, has sponsorship on platforms, is doing some TV directing now. Low six figures a year wouldn’t be weird.

Tedesco!

He had no problem blowing up Bruce Willis for like 90 min on one of his specials after that “cop out” movie he directed.

He kind of addresses this in the latest Fatman on Batman. He basically said he's done shitting on people's work because "he's the guy that made Tusk" and that he'd rather talk up things he likes than talk down things he doesn't.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Somebody sure has an axe to grind. Do you have proof on this one or is this another opinion thing like the last one? You gotta start showing receipts at some point.

Axe to grind?

Mallrats and Chasing Amy were seminal film experiences for me, and I think Dogma's by far his best film. I'm a huge fan of early Smith, I'm just not buying his narrative that he didn't know/never heard anything and is shocked at what Harvey did.

I'm not saying he knew the full truth, but his oblivious act isn't the full story. The least he knew is Harvey cheated on his wife and gave actresses breaks - and that was apparently okay for most of Hollywood.

kmfdmpig

Good for him. He seemed very heartfelt when talking about the issue and he's doing a lot more than most others in Hollywood to actually help address the problem.

Good night, a guy can’t even make a REALLY good gesture/donation without a few people coming out and trying to take a dump all over it, based on zero information or facts at all.

What’s kinda funny to me about those attacking him is it echoes those who attack the victims for coming out. This kinda shit will make people want to stay quiet and out of it, even if they have intentions to help. I’d like all those attacking Kevin to lay out what they’re doing for the cause.

Kevin Smith is a great man. You may not like where his vision has gone, but one thing remains true about the man, he is good and loves. Try listening to his podcast. The man has a huge heart. He loves movies, and I know he feels bad about what's happened in the industry.

Kevin Smith is a great man. You may not like where his vision has gone, but one thing remains true about the man, he is good and loves. Try listening to his podcast. The man has a huge heart. He loves movies, and I know he feels bad about what's happened in the industry.

I used to listen to his podcasts but I got tired of listening to him get stoned and giggle.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Good guy Kevin Smith. And $2000 every month seem possible. Dude also make comic, wrote article, doing liveshow, guest in several reality show. I think he also own business or something.

Axe to grind?

Mallrats and Chasing Amy were seminal film experiences for me, and I think Dogma's by far his best film. I'm a huge fan of early Smith, I'm just not buying his narrative that he didn't know/never heard anything and is shocked at what Harvey did.

I'm not saying he knew the full truth, but his oblivious act isn't the full story. The least he knew is Harvey cheated on his wife and gave actresses breaks - and that was apparently okay for most of Hollywood.

That's okay to most people on this board, too. If you've ever entered a "someone I know is cheating on their SO" thread, the majority of people in those threads will tell the OP that it isn't their place to say anything so keep quiet.

night814

Kevin is a good guy who has already worked with women's charities in the past, not suprised by this at all.

People not buying that he didn't know anything are crazy, these guys worked together but it's not like they spent every second of every day together. I'm sure all of you work with people everyday that you know very little about outside of work.

slit

Yeah I agree. People are so quick to leap to conclusion on complicity that it's really unfair. You hear things like: "He had to have known something!"; "He's covering his ass."; "She's not that dumb." No you don't always know and those that claim or think they would never be fooled are deluding themselves. It's easy to jump to conclusions when you are looking from the outside.

Jakeh111

Kev is good people.

I wondered how he would take the Weinstein news because I only knew of the Weinstiens thru his podcast, he had a long history with them in Hollywood

KDC720

Kev's always been great, and although I kind of dislike that he's turned into that one kid from Highschool who never shuts up about how much weed he smokes, he is using his resources to help others and thats pretty cool.

SteveWD40

Honestly it surprises me he has that much money to spare.

Most of his films make a (small) profit, and have a long tail, so DVD and streaming revenues etc...

He also seems to live a pretty down to earth lifestyle, no shiny cars or designer clothes, just one house. I am sure he has a fair bit put away.

Dude seems to be a really nice person, regardless of you liking his movies or not. He was also super nice when I got to meet him and event years ago for his first clerk movie. Class act guy

Top Bottom