• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Foreigner reviews

WarLox

This was really enjoyable. Don’t go into this expecting a Jackie beat-em-up or a fight heavy action movie

It’s a political thriller that happens to have a small revenge story occurring in the middle of the large-scale pieces and events. While Jackie may not be in this as much as people want, I felt he was utilized well; the movie was well paced, the action was brutal and well-choreographed, and Brosnan’s story/the larger plot was as engrossing as Jackie’s smaller story.

Yeah. I really enjoyed this movie. It felt like American Assassin without the white privilege. Lol

This would make an awesome netflix series.

I'm glad I read this thread first because I would have expected an action movie.

I liked it, though it's too bad Jackie's badass line in the trailer isn't in the film.

J2 Cool

Caught this last night, and was pleasantly surprised. Really enjoyed it!

Fun to see Chan doing stunts again. The story was enjoyable, and pays off your investment. Didn’t even realize it was a Martin Campbell movie until the credits rolled, and suddenly made sense. Just a really coherent, enjoyable movie. Better than the RT score suggests

jufonuk

not tag worthy
just watch this movie on Netflix UK,
it's fucking awesome really really enjoyable,
I love the action scenes (don't worry Jackie isn't invincible)
they are realistic and when he gets hurt he doesn't shrug it off.

great film,
a gem :)

NahaNago

it was okay. I'd give it like a 7.5 out of 10. I'm just not into these serious movies unless they are a bit over the top on the action.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
it was okay. I'd give it like a 7.5 out of 10. I'm just not into these serious movies unless they are a bit over the top on the action.

For me I found the action a great fit to the tone of the movie. it was realistic, the good guy wasn’t invincible or unstoppable. (He had to use his training to outsmart people, when he went up against a trained younger person he almost lot)

When people fell down they got hurt. They didn’t just shrug things

Yeah at first I did expect the usual Jackie Chan smack people to bits with fast frantic Kung fu. But when you realise what they are going for. To me it was brilliant.

Also I don’t care, what some reviewers claim, Chan can act he was great in that part.

I dunno maybe I’ve just seen loads of similar stories like this on film where the hero was an invincible untouchable unstoppable character. It just felt like a nice change.

Blood Borne

The low reviews of The Foreigner and Bright prove without a doubt that there is a concerted effort prevent Netflix's encroachment into the movie industry.

Netflix is a serious threat to Hollywood and they're doing their best to destroy Netflix's ambitious goals.

The Foreigner is a very good movie.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The low reviews of The Foreigner and Bright prove without a doubt that there is a concerted effort prevent Netflix's encroachment into the movie industry.

Netflix is a serious threat to Hollywood and they're doing their best to destroy Netflix's ambitious goals.

I would say you being a conspiracy theorist but you know what bright and the foreigner were some nice movies.

Didn’t like message from the king too much.

The siege at jadotville that’s a great film oh and beasts of no nation.

Actually Betflix are having a decent time making movies.

Maybe cinemas are going to go the way of block buster? Which would be sad. Also a lot of movie studios need to work a deal for online content to Netflix as well as cinema at the same time keep the cash flowing in somehow

Syriel

You do realize that Netflix didn't produce The Foreigner, right? ;)

Blood Borne

You do realize that Netflix didn't produce The Foreigner, right? ;)
Oh really?
Thanks for correction. I'm in UK at the moment, and I never saw The Foreigner being advertised for cinemas. Only saw it on Netflix.

Nevertheless, my point still stands.

Syriel

Oh really?
Thanks for correction. I'm in UK at the moment, and I never saw The Foreigner being advertised for cinemas. Only saw it on Netflix.

Nevertheless, my point still stands.

Yes. Just like The Circle, Netflix was only a distributor in the UK.

The Foreigner got released to cinemas around the world, but no distributor took it in the UK (or was willing to pay more than Netflix), so Netflix became the official distributor in that region.

It hit theaters back in Oct in the US, is currently available on demand for purchase, and the Blu comes out next month. ;)

The fact that Beasts of No Nation didnt get the recognition it deserves proves this

Xisiqomelir

The film uses the 19-year gap since the last IRA terrorist attack for dramatic urgency and poignancy, and frankly it was almost refreshing to be able to enjoy a terrorism thriller without feeling guilty (since the bad guys aren’t scary brown people).

Honestly, who thinks like this?

LordOfChaos

For every “Rush Hour” there was dreck like “The Tuxedo” or “Forbidden Kingdom.” Lately, American audiences know him for voicing the odd animated movie or babysitting Jaden Smith in “The Karate Kid” remake.

We’re still waiting for that breakthrough, since “The Foreigner” doesn't match the punch of his best Hong Kong movies. But this somber turn is still the best the West has given him in a while. That alone should put a smile on fans’ faces

He's waiting for "a breakthrough"? I thought he was a household name pretty much.

Top Bottom