• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino went downhill since Django Unchained

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Hateful Eight is a boring ass film where people just say the N word like nothing. Once upon a time in Hollywood was amazing though so it's all good.

Sybrix

Hateful 8 i really didn't enjoy.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood i did like, it wasn't his best but i enjoyed it.

For me, he hasn't topped Kill Bill, loved Inglorious Bastards and Django however Kill Bill is still GOAT for me.

That's a pretty good benchmark to set tbh.

Last edited:

pachura

The KKK mask scene with Jonah Hill in Django WAS SO CRINGY AND FORCED, just awful

I really liked Hateful 8 as a stage play though, and OUATIH was a wonderful tribute to old Hollywood, not boring in the slightest

Marvel14

Banned
Django is his magnum opus.

Somehow his over the top approach to cartoonish violence makes the actual violence perpetrated under slavery more visceral and more authentic. It's the best anti slavery film ever made. (100 times better than 12 years a Slave) and Samuel L Jackson's character is jaw droppingly brilliant. Christoph Waltz and Decaprio are also excellent along with jfoxx.

I can't imagine someone loving Kill Bill and finding Django boring. They are of the same ilk, just that Django's overall story arc is superior and Kill Bill's violence is more choreographed entertainment than historical text.

Ps the KKK mask scene was freaking funny....

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

I love how hateful you all are about The Hateful 8 har! My favorite film by QT is Reservoir Dogs, the man can put any actor into a claustrophobic situation and they shine! H8 reminds me of that film. Jackie Brown is my second favorite because he seemed to let his actors work outside of the box. Pulp Fiction is my 3rd favorite just cause I miss the 90's. IB and Django always seem disconnected for me, maybe its editing, but I think directing Brad Pitt or Leo would be a fun challenge.

Good thread, I also like to watch D. Villeneuve and George Miller when I want to watch a movie be made.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
That's a hard AF disagree, both the movies are absolute stormers and I love love love Hateful 8, probably due to The Thing being my no.1 movie so the whole premise/setting of Hateful 8 just hits me right in the happy place.. I'm actually at a lost how you can be a fan of Tarantino and not love those 2 movies, they're classic Tarantino ffs

KrakenIPA

That's a hard AF disagree, both the movies are absolute stormers and I love love love Hateful 8, probably due to The Thing being my no.1 movie so the whole premise/setting of Hateful 8 just hits me right in the happy place.. I'm actually at a lost how you can be a fan of Tarantino and not love those 2 movies, they're classic Tarantino ffs
Yes wow i did not equate The Thing with The Hateful 8 regarding the overall scope. That's kind of amazing!

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yes wow i did not equate The Thing with The Hateful 8 regarding the overall scope. That's kind of amazing!
It's a love letter to the Thing imo, bunch of people stuck in a snowy inescapable setting, tension practically dripping from the walls as we try to figure out whose not who they say they are and it even stars RJ Macready FFS lol

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
We got a Kurt Russell fanboy.

pel1300

I think in 10 years from now, most on this forum will agree with the OP.

Kind of like how 10 years ago, some on this forum were in denial that Spielberg went downhill in the 2000s onward. I remember that poster Scullibundo with the Michael Beihn Terminator avatar who was the ultimate Spielberg defender, saying that he was still just as good as he was in the 1980s/1990s lol

I actually preferred Hateful Eight to Django. Both are good but I like the set up in Hateful Eight and how it's all set in one room.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is also a great film. Not sure I agree with the OP here.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Django and hateful 8 are some of his best work.
I didn’t like the last thing with Roman Polanski

damidu

id say since jackie brown, dont get the love for his style over substance stuff afterwards.
his best film is probably still reservoir dogs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hateful Eight is 3+ fucking hours and you never even bother to check what time it is. Excellent movie with fun af characters.
Agreed. The dialogue and character building was exceptional which kept you engaged the entire time. Those who can't pay attention due to the social media and cell phone ADHD causing upbringing may think otherwise, however.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Pulp Fiction is one of the best movies of all time but he got stuck in this whole alternate history thing and his movies suffered because of it.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Pulp Fiction is my favourite and Jackie Brown is my least favourite.

what a bold take

Democratic Party Politics GIF by Joe Biden

Majormaxxx

I did.

The first time I saw it, I kind of shrugged. Then I watched it again several months later and it blew me away. I think it's a modern sci-fi/fantasy masterpiece and can't wait for Part 2.
When I was 16 I read and loved the novel. I was on vacation and couldn't put the book down. Can't wait!

StueyDuck

I still liked Hateful 8, but not Hollywood.
At the end of the day the worst Tarantino movie still is waaaay better than pretty much most other films.

But I have to say I think I'd put H8 as one of his worst, I think hollywood is a return to form but doesn't quite recapture his original works.

Winter John

Gold Member
Jennifer Jason Leigh and Kurt Russell were fuckin awesome in Hateful 8. I don’t know how anyone can write those 2 off. I guess millennials or whatever the fuck they are just can’t recognise greatness when they see it.

deafmedal

Opinions, ehh?! The only Tarantino movie I don’t like is Inglorious Basterds. I’ve tried 5-6 times and it doesn’t click with me. I can appreciate the technical aspects and can see why people love it but outside of the opening farm scene I can’t connect with it. Death Proof would be next but I’m not sure I could pick a fav from the rest… I love ‘em to death.

CGNoire

For me.

1.Kill Bill
2.Pulp Fiction
3.Inglorious Bastards
4.Jackie Brown
5.Hatefull 8
6.Reservior Dogs
7. Dhjango Unchained
8.Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
9. DeathProof

Porcile

I could endlessly rewatch Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 1, but even though I have enjoyed all his films after that I havent had any desire to watch them again.

E-Cat

I could endlessly rewatch Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 1, but even though I have enjoyed all his films after that I havent had any desire to watch them again.
One mark of a great film is rewatchability.

Drake

I still haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I've basically enjoyed all his movies though. I think Pulp Fiction, RD and Kill Bill are his top 3.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
1. Jackie brown
2. Pulp fiction
3. Django
4. Deathproof
5. Res dogs
6. Once upon
7. Hateful 8
8. Kill bill
9. Inglorious

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i think hes gone downhill since kill bill volume 2. The grindhouse movie he did with robert rodriguez was supposed to be bad, but it was also bad. i thought inglorious bastards was bullshit. the movie was marketed as a movie about inglorious bastards and they are MIA in their own movie until the very end where they easily kill the nazis. i dont think see them hunt nazis even once in the movie. it has one legendary scene and an amazing intro scene but the rest was fluff, and i dont care for this whole rewriting history genre hes trying to start.

Once upon a time was equally boring but without ANY good scenes. i suppose the ending was fun to watch but it felt hollow.

skipped the hateful 8 after people told me to skip it.

i think hes made more jackie brown movies since kill bill. django was the only one i truly enjoyed.

1) Pulp fiction
2) kill bill volume 2
3) kill bill volume 1
4) django
5) reservoir dogs
6) inglorious basterds
7) once upon a time
8) jackie brown

Last edited:

thefool

I enjoy everything Quentin Tarantino has done but he has pretty much peaked with Reservoir-Pulp Fiction combo. Everything he has made is a derivative of these two films and none match the brilliancy and compactness of his first two movies

Jennifer Jason Leigh and Kurt Russell were fuckin awesome in Hateful 8. I don’t know how anyone can write those 2 off. I guess millennials or whatever the fuck they are just can’t recognise greatness when they see it.
I enjoy Kurt Russel as an actor, but no actor can save the pacing and delivery of a plot from the director's vision.

i think hes gone downhill since kill bill volume 2.
Kill Bill: Volume 2 also had pacing problems like Hateful 8. In particular all the scenes with Michael Madsen were very drawn out.

Top Bottom