• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a quest 3 - how / what do I need for pc questing?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So I just got a quest 3 for Christmas and like the games so far, still getting my sea legs! However I was told I need to connect to pc to get bigger better experiences. So I’m asking for some advice on the best way to do this and what apps / cables etc do I need. Always wanted to play half life since it’s highly recommended!

Is it a straight forward process or lots of hoops?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
So I just got a quest 3 for Christmas and like the games so far, still getting my sea legs! However I was told I need to connect to pc to get bigger better experiences. So I’m asking for some advice on the best way to do this and what apps / cables etc do I need. Always wanted to play half life since it’s highly recommended!

Is it a straight forward process or lots of hoops?
Get a better head strap and battery for the thing for sure. Virtual Desktop is great for wireless PC connectivity, so pick that up too. I would also recommend a dedicated router for linking to PC as well. Fortunately, I have a gateway with Wifi 6 through AT&T, so I created a dedicated 5ghz channel just for the Quest 3. I also run my PC wired into that same gateway, and since doing that, wireless PC VR gaming works like a damn dream. I'm so impressed.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Get a better head strap and battery for the thing for sure. Virtual Desktop is great for wireless PC connectivity, so pick that up too. I would also recommend a dedicated router for linking to PC as well. Fortunately, I have a gateway with Wifi 6 through AT&T, so I created a dedicated 5ghz channel just for the Quest 3. I also run my PC wired into that same gateway, and since doing that, wireless PC VR gaming works like a damn dream. I'm so impressed.

Can I just use a long usb c cable instead of all the wireless stuff which will kill the battery

danklord

Gold Member
Virtual Desktop / Quest Link but you might as well upgrade your router or get a dedicated transmitter from your PC to avoid any early headaches.

tommycronin

Banned
Yeah make sure to pick up the Virtual Desktop. It's 20€ right now but when it was on sale last week it was only like 5 beans off so I wouldn't wait for a sale. Yeah the quest link is pretty straight forward.

Also I'm a week into my Quest 3 and already hate the headstrap that comes with it I'd recommend getting a 3rd party one In the 30-40 bean range if you haven't already.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I would recommend Virtual Desktop, but you can try Steamlink and the Oculus built in methods first as they are free. You want your PC hardwired to your router. I have an old apple router in-between my main router and my PC set as a bridge so I have a wifi access point that is just for streaming games or VR as my main router is transferring data from and to 30 odd different devices and it just couldn't handle it.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Can I just use a long usb c cable instead of all the wireless stuff which will kill the battery
You can use a cable, but wireless is just sooooooo much better with a proper setup. Also, battery life is pretty good when streaming wirelessly from the PC since the chip in the headset is working so hard. I initially thought wired was the way to go, but I can't go back after the Virtual Desktop plus dedicated router combo. Also, if your planning on getting Virtual Desktop, hit me up for a 25% off referral code.

Last edited:

GHG

If you use a cable make sure to use one that is angled at one end so that it's more comfortable to slot into the quest. Also make sure you get one that is of high enough quality.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
You can use a cable, but wireless is just sooooooo much better with a proper setup. Also, battery life is pretty good when streaming wirelessly from the PC since the chip in the headset is working so hard. I initially thought wired was the way to go, but I can't go back after the Virtual Desktop plus dedicated router combo. Also, if your planning on getting Virtual Desktop, hit me up for a 25% off referral code.
Send it lol

I got one myself just before crimbo and use the Oculus link software with a wire for PC use. Just make sure you get a decent cable and use a 3.2 port to get the best quality (as I had to find out the hard way) if you decide to go the wired route.

Not tried any of the wireless streaming yet aside from a quick try of Steam Link as the thin cable is fine for me (former G2 user) but it also doesn't really provide much, if any, charge unfortunately so it still runs the battery down after a few hours

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I got one myself just before crimbo and use the Oculus link software with a wire for PC use. Just make sure you get a decent cable and use a 3.2 port to get the best quality (as I had to find out the hard way) if you decide to go the wired route.

Not tried any of the wireless streaming yet aside from a quick try of Steam Link as the thin cable is fine for me (former G2 user) but it also doesn't really provide much, if any, charge unfortunately so it still runs the battery down after a few hours
Cable never worked for me, it was worse than wireless. Maybe just the crap cable I got.

Also - fuck nvidia.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Dude... ice cold.
I wasn’t try to poach. I only sent it in case you didn’t send it to him privately. If I wanted to poach, I’d have done it in DM’s ✌🏼

And he hasn’t used my referral.

Edit: Oh, I just saw he did. Sorry. You got a referral code for Phantom: Covert Ops or Vermilion?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I wasn’t try to poach. I only sent it in case you didn’t send it to him privately. If I wanted to poach, I’d have done it in DM’s ✌🏼

And he hasn’t used my referral.

Edit: Oh, I just saw he did. Sorry. You got a referral code for Phantom: Covert Ops or Vermilion?
I have one for Vermillion. I believe I DM'd you my linktree with all of them on it. I almost picked up Phantom the other day, but damn I just don't have time to play after picking up so many games during the holiday sale.

Top Bottom