• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judgment |OT| The Japanese Shārokku hōmuzu

Verdanth

Unfortunately no

Oh, thats a shame but a couple of minutes in and I can already see its better looking comparing to Yakuza 6.

One question though: whats up with the L2 fixed camera during tailing? I pressed the button but does not do anything.

Mista

Banned
Oh, thats a shame but a couple of minutes in and I can already see its better looking comparing to Yakuza 6.

One question though: whats up with the L2 fixed camera during tailing? I pressed the button but does not do anything.
The camera angle won’t move when you press L2

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn it. It releases on the same day as Samurai Shodown. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Verdanth

So far the game has got me hocked. The narrative seems pretty interesting and Im digging the hole detective vibe.

Yagami is easily a likeable character. Also Kaito looks great, some sort of Kiryu and Majima mixture.

Graphically the city looks pretty good and the performance is stable. Shame for no HDR. While better than Yakuza 6 I still think facial animation of characters is a little off in this engine, not as good as Yakuza 0.

Gameplay wise, wall jumping feels very good. Combat seems to have many option which is cool. My only grip is the time it takes to change styles (I hope the speed is upgradable).

TLDR: it borrows a lot from Yakuza, but RGG team was not lazy. It's a distinctive game from it.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
A809-EBF9-18-BA-4-DDA-807-F-E316-E8-C3671-D.jpg

ED4424-FA-48-ED-406-B-8-F08-D1-BCCA440-E96.jpg

05-A53-AAF-6-FBD-48-D4-8-CEA-32-A771-FAFFDB.jpg

0-FA8-DAAC-900-C-48-B7-997-D-7-F1-C08-C1-A63-C.jpg

1-EC3-F8-BC-EB22-4-F25-B86-F-F84-F2222-AAB5.jpg

Mista

Banned
Yeah yeah, I was asking because I didn't know we had an OT and didn't see anything from a quick scroll lol.
Game is great. Basically Yakuza but this time you’re a detective. It’s a very good game especially if you enjoyed Yakuza

I know the purists want to go with the Japanese voices, but the English dub made this game much better for me than the Yakuza titles. I don't like following subtitles. Not that I can't, but I am a dub fan even when it comes to anime. It's just my personal preference and the dub for Judgment is freaking fantastic.

Last edited:
I’m only about 4 hours in. I don’t game too hardcore these days, so it’ll probably take me forever to beat Judgment. That’s a good thing, though, because I love it. Best game I’ve played in a long time. I don’t feel like I wasted my money on a game for once. I really hope Judgment sells well. I want a Yakuza lengthy type series to stem from this first game. There’s so much they could do with it.

Last edited:

Kazza

Game is great. Basically Yakuza but this time you’re a detective.

How are the detective elements? I've heard mixed things (although everyone seems to hate the trailing and lock-picking)

I know the purists want to go with the Japanese voices, but the English dub made this game much better for me than the Yakuza titles. I don't like following subtitles. Not that I can't, but I am a dub fan even when it comes to anime. It's just my personal preference and the dub for Judgment is freaking fantastic.

I'm one of those purists, but even I am considering trying the English dub. I wonder if the game itself will give Sega data on how many people are choosing the English or Japanese dub, or if they will have to rely on surveys instead. I would guess that most people will chose Enlgish.

Kazza

Looking forward to this. Most games seem to use UE4/Unity these days, so it'll be interesting to delve into the Dragon Engine.

HotPocket69

Banned
How are the detective elements? I've heard mixed things (although everyone seems to hate the trailing and lock-picking)

They're all pretty simple and easy to pull off. It's nothing super extensive like LA Noire or Detroit though. I enjoy the "seek n' find" info and evidence collection stuff the most. FIND DEM KITTIES.

I don't mind the lock picking and besides, you can buy skills to make it quicker and easier. The trailing stuff can drag a bit but thankfully it's not like some Ass Creed insta fail BS.

xrnzaaas

Retail version doesn't have a day 1 patch, wow I'm shocked, it's a rare thing these days. :) Already looking forward to playing it in the evening.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I have a few hours in and unlocked the side missions and the drone races and so far I'm loving the story. Atmosphere is great and the characters are definitely kooky with interesting personalities. Chases are pretty fun, but the tailing is kinda meh. The combat is god awful. Only way I can not get murdered is wall jumping all over the place. I usually play Japanese language if I have the option, but when I tried English, damn the voice acting is spot on. I wouldn't mind listening to this in English one bit.

zeorhymer

Hahah what?! Have you played any Yakuza game? It’s far from “awful” care to elaborate more?
Sure. Using L1 and R1 to lock on and block is a WTF moment. Why they didn't use the triggers instead and use R1 as the rage activation is beyond me. When you're surrounded in a small space and they all punch at you at the same time, you cannot block at all. You have to run away to be facing them all in order to block. Boss and mini boss battles are not fun. They block pretty much all of your combos and you end up just grabbing them hitting them a couple of times and they let go.

I've played all of the Yakuza games and the combat may be janky but they were fun and not infuriating. Would you have any tips on combat to make it flow better?

Mista

Banned
Sure. Using L1 and R1 to lock on and block is a WTF moment. Why they didn't use the triggers instead and use R1 as the rage activation is beyond me. When you're surrounded in a small space and they all punch at you at the same time, you cannot block at all. You have to run away to be facing them all in order to block. Boss and mini boss battles are not fun. They block pretty much all of your combos and you end up just grabbing them hitting them a couple of times and they let go.

I've played all of the Yakuza games and the combat may be janky but they were fun and not infuriating. Would you have any tips on combat to make it flow better?
I get where you’re coming from but that’s the same in Yakuza unless you have the time to search for those hidden skills which gives you lots of good traits in fights. Yakuza is no different than Judgment apart from having 3 fighting styles and not two

To be honest I’m enjoying the combat as it is while unlocking more moves and deadly fun Ex specials. You gotta invest in those abilities if you want variety

I can now run and leap from the front of someone and before I land behind him I’m able to do a wicked Ex special

zeorhymer

I get where you’re coming from but that’s the same in Yakuza unless you have the time to search for those hidden skills which gives you lots of good traits in fights. Yakuza is no different than Judgment apart from having 3 fighting styles and not two

To be honest I’m enjoying the combat as it is while unlocking more moves and deadly fun Ex specials. You gotta invest in those abilities if you want variety

I can now run and leap from the front of someone and before I land behind him I’m able to do a wicked Ex special
I was looking into the running and jumping over people EX, but I think you still need to build up the gauge in order to do that. I did the multi attack EX which sweeps a group of thugs off the ground and I can multi hit them which looks pretty slick. I guess I'll need to build more friendships and more side stuff to earn SP for combat skills instead of passive skills.

Mista

Banned
I was looking into the running and jumping over people EX, but I think you still need to build up the gauge in order to do that. I did the multi attack EX which sweeps a group of thugs off the ground and I can multi hit them which looks pretty slick. I guess I'll need to build more friendships and more side stuff to earn SP for combat skills instead of passive skills.
Yes you need that. I have skills for when I’m sober and even super drunk. Got lots of variety. It’s fun that’s why I was confused when you said the combat is awful when it has a great variety.

zeorhymer

Yes you need that. I have skills for when I’m sober and even super drunk. Got lots of variety. It’s fun that’s why I was confused when you said the combat is awful when it has a great variety.
See, the game doesn't really tell you anything about drunk combat or how it works or what it looks like. I completely skipped over all of the drunken style as I felt that I shouldn't be playing a Jackie Chan type of detective. I'll have to definitely buy at least the level 1 skills to try them all out and of course be drunk all the time. lol

Mista

Banned
See, the game doesn't really tell you anything about drunk combat or how it works or what it looks like. I completely skipped over all of the drunken style as I felt that I shouldn't be playing a Jackie Chan type of detective. I'll have to definitely buy at least the level 1 skills to try them all out and of course be drunk all the time. lol
Yeah now most of my fights I go drink a lot to be drunk then fight. It’s so much fun😂

the good news? the game's great! wouldn't mind, at all, if this was gonna replace the yakuza series...

the bad news? i got the only copy at my ebgames store. & i only got it because i'd preordered. kids just got no damn taste anymore. i mean, the gameplay's a blast, it looks great, &, story & character wise, it's more literate than most new movies. go figure...

Mista

Banned
the good news? the game's great! wouldn't mind, at all, if this was gonna replace the yakuza series...

the bad news? i got the only copy at my ebgames store. & i only got it because i'd preordered. kids just got no damn taste anymore. i mean, the gameplay's a blast, it looks great, &, story & character wise, it's more literate than most new movies. go figure...
Have a great time. I’m 30 hours in and haven’t felt bored for a second. I just hope the new Yakuza spin-off isn’t in the same city too

We need something new this time

Pallas

Gold Member
If it’s been mentioned already, I apologize but is this game set in the same universe as Yakuza? I realize it takes place in the same city but is it the Yakuza timeline or some alternate timeline shit?

Mista

Banned
I cried like a baby about 3 times in Yakuza 6. Will this do the same?
So far I haven’t encountered anything emotional
If it’s been mentioned already, I apologize but is this game set in the same universe as Yakuza? I realize it takes place in the same city but is it the Yakuza timeline or some alternate timeline shit?
Yes the game is in Kamurocho and set in 2018
Hows the soundtrack? Y0 had one of the most amazing soundtracks overall but Y1 and 2 Kiwami were kinda eh.
If you like Jazz you’ll like Judgment’s OST

Top Bottom