• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Kelly & Ken Niimura's award-winning 'I Kill Giants' to get big-screen adaptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IKillGiants-cov-5a395.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/chris-columbus-treehouse-pictures-adapt-783737

I Kill Giants, the critically-acclaimed graphic novel by Joe Kelly and J.M. Ken Niimura, is headed to the big screen, with news Monday that Academy Award winner Anders Walter's adaptation will be fully financed by Treehouse Pictures.

Originally published in serialized form from 2008 to 2009, I Kill Giants tells the story of a girl who escapes from her difficult reality into a fantasy life where she has more power. It went on to be named one of the top graphic novels of 2010 by the Young Adult Library Services Association, and win the Gold Award at the Fifth International Manga Awards in 2012.

The project will mark the first full-length project for Walter, whose Helium won the 2014 Academy Award for Best Live Action Short Film. Chris Columbus will act as producer on the project alongside XYZ Films, Kelly and Man of Action Entertainment; in a statement accompanying Treehouse's announcement of funding, he said he was "excited and proud to finally be able to bring this wonderful material to the screen." XYZ Films is also representing worldwide rights for the project.

Justin Nappi, Treehouse president, added that he and Columbus "both feel strongly that strongly that Anders has the depth and vision needed to bring the amazing story and characters of I Kill Giants to life. As exemplified by his work in Helium and [earlier short] 9 Meter, Anders has a unique understanding of children and their uncanny ability to face life’s most difficult challenges."

Kelly, part of the Man of Action collective responsible for Cartoon Network's Ben 10 and the characters appearing in Disney's Big Hero 6, will write the screenplay for the project. In a statement, he described himself as being "overwhelmed by the enthusiasm, vision and sheer talent of the team we’ve assemble," adding, "Chris and Anders understand the book on an instinctive level and will translate it into a hell of a film. I could not be happier."
Can't wait to see how this develops. :)

This is one of my wife's top 3 favorite comics, all time.

Really curious to see how you adapt this to live action (the article doesn't seem to mention that the film will be animated, either traditional 2D or computer animated 3D), as Niimura's art-style is a HUGE reason it works.

AMAAAAAAAAZING comic. It's fairly cheap and you can get the entire thing in one volume! It's got a great message and it genuinely had me tearing up pretty hard at the end. This could be great, or it could be bridge to terriblethia.

maxcriden

Very sweet comic. Read it years ago in collected form. Glad to see Chris Columbus attached. He'll help make it approachable for all ages and the mainstream in general.

DaveH

I always confuse this with Grant Morrison's "Joe The Barbarian" since they're both about contemporary kids living parallel fantasy lives... and they both have ties to diabetes (Kelly talks about it in a ComicsAlliance interview as the malady affecting his parent and the inspiration for the work).

Both are great and worth reading. I'm happy for Kelly and this book... I don't know that I want to watch a movie of this though.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
The book was alright.

There's already a similar movie about 3 monsters that visit a kid. Not sure if it already came out.

Casting news!

FB-giants-bfc50.jpg

Zoe Saldana to Star in Graphic Novel Adaptation 'I Kill Giants'

Zoe Saldana will star in I Kill Giants, the adaptation of Joe Kelly’s graphic novel that is being produced by Chris Columbus.

Anders Walter, who won an Oscar for his short Helium, is directing the project, which has also found a lead in rising young actress Madison Wolfe.

Giants tells the story of a young misfit girl named Barbara battling both real and imaginary monsters in her life.

Wolfe will play the girl, while Saldana is a school psychologist who plays a key role by helping Barbara face both internal and external threats, forming an inspiring bond with her in the process.

Joe Kelly, who wrote the award-winning graphic novel he created with illustrator Ken Niimura, has also written the screenplay adaptation.

Columbus is producing through his 1492 Pictures/Ocean Blue Entertainment, along with Justin Nappi of Treehouse Pictures, Kim Magnusson and Man of Action Entertainment, where Kelly is a partner.

XYZ Films is also producing and selling internationally and is currently meeting with distributors in Toronto.

Madison Wolfe:
s2URnfD.jpg

Pau

Didn't expect this to be live action. For some reason I was under the impression it would be animated. :( But I do like Zoe Saldana. <3

Anyways, it's a beautiful graphic novel. Everyone should read it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh wow, I had no idea someone was adapting this. I think I cried when I read the final issue... it's probably the last comic I read in a while, come to think of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom