• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First clip from "I Kill Giants" released

WARNING: Youtube description is MAYBE a bit too descriptive, though it doesn't drop any hard spoilers. Your mileage may vary.

Clip Here

For those unfamiliar, I Kill Giants was an incredible little graphic novel written by Joe Kelly (who most comic fans will remember as the writer of Deadpool's original ongoing, and is for all intents and purposes the real creator of the character as he is remembered in pop culture). The graphic novel itself is ostensibly about nerdy young outsider Barbara Thorson's training and preparations to slay the giants that secretly infest her hometown, but is ultimately a story about escapism and personal loss.

The film was announced as barely more than a footnote back in 2015, and principal photography quietly began last year, but this is the first anyone has really seen of the film aside from a few production stills released equally quietly a few months ago. No major production studio is attached, and it is director Anders Walter's first full-length feature film, but Joe Kelly himself is credited as writing the screenplay.

I don't know if any of you have read the graphic novel itself, but it will always hold a dear place in my heart (for extremely spoilerish reasons). I strongly advise anyone curious to check it out and go in as blind as possible. The artwork (by J M Ken Niimura) is a joy, and it's a reasonably quick read.

No word on any release date for the film, but hopefully the relative silence doesn't translate into a lack of quality.

Platy

The description on the youtube video is a little more spoilerish than I wanted it ... i loved how in the comics
takes a while for you to know what is real and what is not

Weird to see a clip before a teaser or a trailer but can't wait !

Expected a skinnier actrss for the main role but it makes sense that she is more ... average

edit : that looks like girl's version of the Where the Wild Things Are movie xD

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
well that looks wonderful.

i haven't read the book in awhile so I don't recall her having "friends" at any point. Just her sister.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Read the comic last year and absolutely loved it, cant believe they didnt make a bigger announcement for this being made

Zoe Saldana is also a plus. Film looks good so far.

Shibalan

Yeah, the graphic novel is incredible.

An animated movie would make perfect sense, but I don't understand how they will translate this in live action.

From the bunny ears to the representation of... a lot of spoilerish things, everything in the comics is very stylized, very expressive, very graphic. And it's an important part of the whole thing.

It may be too early to judge, but it seems to fell flat in this clip... Idk :/

TissueBox

Yes plz.

Ander Waters let me believe in you..!

I loved I Kill Giants so much... beautiful, beautiful graphic novel. Hope this movie nails it. I've been waiting for an official trailer for over a year at this rate too lol. Hope a theatrical release comes soon...

Yeah, the graphic novel is incredible.

An animated movie would make perfect sense, but I don't understand how they will translate this in live action.

From the bunny ears to the representation of... a lot of spoilerish things, everything in the comics is very stylized, very expressive, very graphic. And it's an important part of the whole thing.

It may be too early to judge, but it seems to fell flat in this clip... Idk :/

The animal ear headbands are something I'm willing to let go as something a little chintzy looking. However I would want things like Coveleski, the giants, and
the monster upstairs
to be rendered with more finesse.

Glix

Kelly wrote Steampunk so anything he does is cool with me.

(Now finish it Joe!!! For the love of god!!!)

JCHandsom

I Kill Giants is one of the best graphic novel I've ever read. Had no idea they were doing a film adaptation!

I hope they don't screw it up.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I really felt some shit reading the comic. Not sure if they can adapt some of the visual ticks that made it special to me.

Top Bottom