• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams and Paramount Pictures team up for a live action movie of "Your Name"

Best case plot scenario:

Mitsuha is still a girl in small town Japan while Taki is a semi-first gen immigrant in San Fran/Seattle/Vancouver or if we really wanna milk the shit out of distance, NY/Toronto. Given that, you might have an interesting immigrant/intercultural theme going on in the background as well.

Regardless, my current trajectory for this is "set sail for fail."

I wonder who they're eyeing to direct.
This was my initial idea as well. It works with the existing themes of City v country life, and makes the twist far more believable
I refuse to believe you can live somebody else's life for multiple days, and have no idea that it's three years earlier. But if you weren't from that culture, and perhaps couldn't read the native language...

I also wonder if they'll thin out the story at all. Your Name feels like a four hour story that tries to tell itself in two.

Not

Banned
Guarantee if they do somehow cast an Asian actor it's going to be the girl.

They're going to play into that "undesirable Asian man" trope and play into it hard

But they'll both be white. So who cares.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
it's one of my favourite movies ever. the music, the art, the voices. I've watched it like 9 times now..

sorry, but I don't think a live action can do it justice.

I don't know because I don't presume to have the lived experiences necessary to know the appropriateness of that. What I do have an opinion on is that it is not right for people, in the context of trying to preserve diversity in the case of a story that is intrinsically Japanese, to ask for "Asians" and then be satisfied. Ask for Japanese actors. People from Asia are not a monolith and I am sick of (usually white people) people calling for the end of white-washing before presuming that any old "Asian" will do for a role in a way that vastly undermines the historical and cultural differences from people of different heritages in that region. Same thing for Mulan - that story takes place in China and people should be calling for it to be acted by Chinese actors, instead of calling for it to be acted by"Asians".

Except that Hollywood literally does this for every ethnicity and every nationality. There's very little comment when a Black British actor plays a Black American character (Get Out), or a Black American plays an African (Cry Freedom, Hotel Rwanda). Or when an British/Irish person plays a German (both versions of Magneto). Or when a Spaniard plays a Mexican (Desperado). Or I could keep going for days here. As long as they get the general area/ancestry right, Hollywood does not now, and probably will never, care about explicit nationalities.

If you are the kind of person who was willing to go see this movie in theatres you are NOT the target audience for this version.

Maybe that's hard for anime fans to swallow. I watched this movie in theatres, TWICE, and loved it. I can easily envision a good and popular live action version that will appeal more to western audiences.

That's okay too, you know? Adaptations can be good. It's not just filthy baka gaijin messing up the glorious Japanese source.

No, my main trepidation comes from the fact that I just can't see how Hollywood does a good adaptation. Across any medium in general, its just not their strong suites. Hollywood does good when their storylines are unique and new and in general, whether Western, Eastern, Book or Anime. They get lucky every now and then, but Adaptations in general just suck.

I'll admit, I am an Anime Fan. I also watched the dub and sub of Your Name because I liked the film. Your Name excels as an Animated film. Yeah, you can do the story in live action pretty easily since its a fairly easy story. They can probably also get the artistic nature of it across easily by going insane with artsy camera tricks and make heavy usage of narration. Its also fine that they are going to almost assuredly adapt it as guy from New York and girl from Oklahoma and it's fine that they will cast American Actors for it because it is an adaption after all. But given that they managed to screw up Death Note... one of the easiest properties to Americanize and Adapt in a way that would make the American audience think it was an original film idea inspires little confidence they could do Your Name right.

No, my main trepidation comes from the fact that I just can't see how Hollywood does a good adaptation. Across any medium in general, its just not their strong suites. Hollywood does good when their storylines are unique and new and in general, whether Western, Eastern, Book or Anime. They get lucky every now and then, but Adaptations in general just suck.

Hollywood doesn't do adaptations any better or worse than they do anything else. They hit on some (as a simple example, depending on how loosely you define adaptation, either most or every comic book movie is one), they miss on some, but Hollywood is no better or worse at making adaptations than they are at making original concepts.

I'll admit, I am an Anime Fan. I also watched the dub and sub of Your Name because I liked the film. Your Name excels as an Animated film. Yeah, you can do the story in live action pretty easily since its a fairly easy story. They can probably also get the artistic nature of it across easily by going insane with artsy camera tricks and make heavy usage of narration. Its also fine that they are going to almost assuredly adapt it as guy from New York and girl from Oklahoma and it's fine that they will cast American Actors for it because it is an adaption after all. But given that they managed to screw up Death Note... one of the easiest properties to Americanize and Adapt in a way that would make the American audience think it was an original film idea inspires little confidence they could do Your Name right.
There's no logic in painting 'Hollywood' as a singular creative entity, though. The teams that failed in adapting Death Note aren't anywhere near this project. Paramount was behind Ghost in the Shell, but Abrams & Heisserer weren't a part of that project either. It's true that Hollywood doesn't have a good track record with adapting anime, but there's also a pretty small sample size to be judging from.

Also considering how much money Your Name made domestically, it'd make more sense to set it (at least partially) in Japan than not.

I find it bizarre that JJ Abrams has the time to get involved in these (relatively) small passion projects while in the middle of helming Star Wars.

I'd argue that creating a "white" version of the anime is the entire point. They want to make a versioon of it that appeals to the broader market, rather than just weebs.

Excuse me? Did you think 'weebs' are the only ones watching the original movie?

Did you think it became this big with only 'weebs' watching it?

I'd argue that creating a "white" version of the anime is the entire point. They want to make a versioon of it that appeals to the broader market, rather than just weebs.

Because making it white makes it acceptable? the fuck?

like White is the standard? hollywood has brainwashed this dude

Lunaray

What is the fanservice in a movie about a teenage girl and boy switching bodies?

Genuine question actually. The stuff im thinking of seems fair game

Have you seen the movie? If not, mild spoilers: there are many moments throughout the movie where this happens, to the point where it becomes a minor subplot.

This is a lazy fanservice trope, and it's constantly reused in every anime involving a gender bending situation. TV tropes describes this to the letter, right down to the specific gender swap and subsequent actions.

And for what it's worth, I liked Your Name, but these scenes were completely unnecessary, clashed with the otherwise more earnest overtones of the larger plot, and constantly broke my sense of immersion.

Not

Banned

The fact that the "broader market" can't put up with Asian people in their movies isn't something we should be bending over backwards for.

Jesus, guys, the use of weebs was obviously ironic. And yeah, there isn't much evidence that the broader market will pay to watch a movie featuring exclusively Asian leads.

If you want to watch the film with a Japanese cast, the anime exists. Expecting a high budget Hollywood film not to have a large degree of white washing is an exercise in futility, as nice as it would be.

The point of a remake in this case, similar to a possible akira remake, would be to broaden the potential viewer base beyond people who regularly consume anime. That means sexy big name actors and actresses that people have actually heard of.

Not

Banned
Jesus, guys, the use of weebs was obviously ironic. And yeah, there isn't much evidence that the broader market will pay to watch a movie featuring exclusively Asian leads.

There's no evidence because NO ONE DOES IT.

And that's because THEY'RE RACIST.

And they PERPETUATE RACISM.

PERIOD.

There's no evidence because NO ONE DOES IT.

And that's because THEY'RE RACIST.

And they PERPETUATE RACISM.

PERIOD.
This is true, but it doesn't do much to invalidate his post.

I doubt this will get released with a majority Asian cast. Get ready for at least 1 white, bankable lead.

Not

Banned
This is true, but it doesn't do much to invalidate his post.

I doubt this will get released with a majority Asian cast. Get ready for at least white, bankable lead.

I'm already resigned and ready. Doesn't mean I can't be pissed about it. At least I'm not posting this in this thread:

CAST A JAPANESE-AMERICAN ACTOR

DO IT YOU FUCKS

NO MORE RACIST DOG WHISTLES

JAPANESE PEOPLE HAVE TONS OF EXPRESSIONS AND ARE NOT A MONOLITH

NO, IT'S NOT "COLORBLIND" TO CONSTANTLY PREVENT ASIANS FROM BEING THE LEADS IN FAVOR OF WHITE ACTORS

A WHITE LEAD ACTOR IN A BAD MOVIE IS THE SAME AS AN ASIAN LEAD ACTOR IN A BAD MOVIE

I'M SURE IF YOU GO TO THE TROUBLE OF CASTING THE PERFECT UNKNOWN CHILD ACTORS YOU CAN GO TO THE TROUBLE OF CASTING A JAPANESE PERSON WITH AN AMERICAN ACCENT IN YOUR MOVIE

YOU TAKE BIGGER RISKS PUMPING 170 MILLION INTO UNKNOWN-IN-THE-WEST JAPANESE PROPERTIES IN THE FIRST PLACE

COME ON YOU FUCKS

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Have you seen the movie? If not, mild spoilers: there are many moments throughout the movie where this happens, to the point where it becomes a minor subplot.

This is a lazy fanservice trope, and it's constantly reused in every anime involving a gender bending situation. TV tropes describes this to the letter, right down to the specific gender swap and subsequent actions.

And for what it's worth, I liked Your Name, but these scenes were completely unnecessary, clashed with the otherwise more earnest overtones of the larger plot, and constantly broke my sense of immersion.

The idea of fan service is to inject unrealistic senseless lewdness into media for the sake of audience. The whole
physical touching subplot
in Your Name is not fan service, because
it's a realistic reaction for a young mind to do when they body swap into the opposite gender, and both characters do it to each other.

Not

Banned
Asians are still seen as outsiders here in the States. In fact, if there's more than one lead minority in a movie white audiences start thinking it's "for" that minority.

This needs to change. American minorities have no fucking problem putting up with every blando Caucasian Hollywood gives fourth chances to in movie after movie. More white people need to learn to enjoy a movie that stars people that don't look like them, just like everyone else.

Well I'd imagine the story will be adapted to not be in Japan.
Exactly. Because a Hollywood remake that was a shot for shot recreation of the anime would be a pointless and expensive endeavor, and would please nobody at all. Fans of the anime would think that the anime was better, and people who aren't interested in Japanese culture wouldn't appreciate the film, either.

So much of what made this movie special will be lost in this adaptation. So many ways it will most likely go wrong in the usual ways. Have 0 expectations on this one.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

So you'd get rid of those scenes? A shitty Hollywood exec is going to hire you so you can ruin some other properties.

Feep

Banned
I mean, I saw it, but there's a big as hell spoiler in the article/OP. Do not read!

Also, real talk, every guy alive would grab their chest as soon as they woke up in a woman's body. As far as I'm concerned, it would be immersion breaking if he *didn't*.

Lunaray

The idea of fan service is to inject unrealistic senseless lewdness into media for the sake of audience.

That's a pretty narrow definition. Fanservice isn't just confined to over-the-top senseless gratuity.

it's a realistic reaction for a young mind to do when they body swap into the opposite gender,

When it happens repeatedly?

and both characters do it to each other.

t's clearly skewed one way.

Lunaray

So you'd get rid of those scenes? A shitty Hollywood exec is going to hire you so you can ruin some other properties.

Not necessarily? At least make it less of a cliche?

Also, do you personally insult everyone whom you disagree with on a movie?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not necessarily? At least make it less of a cliche?

Also, do you personally insult everyone whom you disagree with on a movie?

Everything is a cliche, if you judge movies because you tick off cliches that they used, then you'd find a million problems in every movie ever made.

And how was that even remotely a personal insult?

ZoddGutts

Clashed with the tone of the film? Eh? Not really, the entire film wasn't going to be melodrama or dramatic, scenes like that helped lighten the movie. The theater that I went sure liked those scenes (they laughed) including my cousin and her friends. It's just you being hanged up on those scenes.

TrutaS

Prepare for this to take place in New York / North West and feature amazing looking american white adults playing teenagers.

Lunaray

Everything is a cliche, if you judge movies because you tick off cliches that they used, then you'd find a million problems in every movie ever made.

That's a strawman. There are degrees to this.

And how was that even remotely a personal insult?

A shitty Hollywood exec is going to hire you so you can ruin some other properties.

Anyway, back to the topic, I doubt a live action movie is going to work unless they get someone who really groks the source material. Too many hollywood adaptations miss the point of the source material they draw from.

Top Bottom