• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams and Paramount Pictures team up for a live action movie of "Your Name"

Iceman

Maybe the live action version will figure out a way around the glaring flaw in the movie's narrative.

Just to be clear, what I'm talking about (BIG SPOILERS HERE) is
how Taki somehow doesn't realize he's traveling to the past, even though he spends full days at Mitsuha's school all the time. The first time he goes there we even see him/her walk right past a calendar. There's no conceivable way the date didn't come up even once in all that time given that context, so it's pretty implausible for the time change to be such a surprise to him later on. That plot point is treated as the huge reveal of the film despite the fact that the characters clearly should have had that info all along, even if it was withheld from the audience.

Yikes. Never even considered that issue because
they stop body swapping for a while before the time difference reveal happens
. But yeah... any ideas?

Also, (unpopular opinion) I think there is a reason for a live action version to exist because (1) there is room for more character development, again particularly for the female protag since I think it's really her story -- and could justify
shifting the POV to her in the second half
and (2) American audiences did not (and will not) take the opportunity to watch it, as is. Evidence? $5 million domestic take. 1.4% of its INTL gross.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the live action version will figure out a way around the glaring flaw in the movie's narrative.

how Taki somehow doesn't realize he's traveling to the past, even though he spends full days at Mitsuha's school all the time. The first time he goes there we even see him/her walk right past a calendar. There's no conceivable way the date didn't come up even once in all that time given that context, so it's pretty implausible for the time change to be such a surprise to him later on. That plot point is treated as the huge reveal of the film despite the fact that the characters clearly should have had that info all along, even if it was withheld from the audience.
Hahaha, yep. Shinkai is a bad writer.

What why? I love Your Name it's a great movie but I don't trust Paramount to do this justice. Plus one of the things that made Your Name interesting was how Japanese it was (I fully expect this movie not be set in Japan)

TissueBox

*spits out water*

*initiate mixed feelings*

Imo, I don't really want this, but I'm sure if it's good I'll see it.

But the whole body switch thing has been DONE TO DEATH in Hollywood; it was a little more bearable in Your Name because it was a full length anime take, and it was a full length anime take from effing Makoto Shinkai. And even then I thought it was... okay. :p

Good luck with it though I guess.

Fj0823

Ah shit, not this again

But It's ok guys, JJ will set it in Jakkan, it's the same as New York, but like totally different, so it's a totally different location. No whitewash there.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Well, they both only have vague recolections of things after each swap, and the only reason they can remember a lot of things is because they each kept notes. The date not being a pressing concern to them doesn't really hit me as a big plot hole.

xk0sm0sx

Yeah, I couldn't enjoy Your Name very much because my brain was being twisted by the obvious flaws in logic. It seems impossible to line up the events chronologically.

And some depictions are so fantastical it would only make sense in an anime. I don't see how live action would make it look okay.

The movie explains it away by conveying that they remember their time during the switch as if it's a hazy dream. How often do you pay attention to or remember dates from your dream? Heck, Taki doesn't even remember the name of the Mitsuha's town.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I didn’t mind the date vagueness and I’m basically anti weeaboo but half the charm comes from the animation and the setting. The story probably isn’t strong enough to withstand the mangling it’s about to receive.

Gitaroo

Yikes. Never even considered that issue because
they stop body swapping for a while before the time difference reveal happens
. But yeah... any ideas?

And they are both in dream like world when its happening until they see enough physical evidence that they both left like writing on hands and book when they wake up to prove that it did happened. Never consider that a plot hole neither, the director did a great job explaining everything for such a complex situation in such a condense format. You just need to watch it a few times to fully understand. Back to the topic, fuck hollywood.

TissueBox

The movie explains it away by conveying that they remember their time during the switch as if it's a hazy dream. How often do you pay attention or remember dates from your dream? Heck, Taki doesn't even remember the name of the Mitsuha's town.

Yeah pretty much. Imo it's a bit too convenient of an inconvenience, but like a lot of things in the movie, suspension of disbelief is practically on autopilot.

I still think the story suffers at the expense of the moar plot that proliferates the course of the film. But when it tries to hit that simple YA, lovey-dovey note that Shinkai excels in, then it hits it nicely. A lot of the stuff in between just had me going 'meh'. Though of course, it looked great enough on the big screen to alleviate most of my other concerns. Mm.

And that's another integral part of its charm, too: the lovely art style. Translate that into western adapted live action, and most of it loses points for me. They will have to make a really strong case to ensure it's a bona fide film and not just another bowdlerized opportunity.

Hyoukokun

The movie explains it away by conveying that they remember their time during the switch as if it's a hazy dream. How often do you pay attention to or remember dates from your dream? Heck, Taki doesn't even remember the name of the Mitsuha's town.
They frequently don't even remember what day it is, making it clear that their perception of time is off. Taki-as-Mitsuha gets dressed for school on a non school day in one scene.
. I don't think it's a major plot hole.

I can't see a reason for a Hollywood version of the movie to exist. They should just give the original a wider and better-promoted release.

This movie is really Japanese. Like I don't even know how you'd adapt this for Americans without losing everything interesting about it. How would you even do the musubi stuff.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This movie is really Japanese. Like I don't even know how you'd adapt this for Americans without losing everything interesting about it. How would you even do the musubi stuff.

They will literally change the twist. It will be like his mom or something.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Will Hollywood ruin anime again :( And i was one of the ones who enjoyed the death note live action for being its own thing

This movie will cost a fraction of Ghost in the Shell to make even if they film it in person in Japan.

It's going to likely flop though. Low budget or not, another anime adaptation is a risky move, I'd say. Plus I'm curious how they'll adapt anyway, it's gonna be tough.

CSX

Damn the entire last 30 minutes of the movie with len flares might look amazing lol.

Otherwise, oh boy :p

Arkeband

Banned
This is a movie that deserves to be played by Japanese actors in Japan but with Hollywood's deep pockets.

It's gonna be based on 9-11 is it?

The settings are Buffalo and New York.

Where does it say that? Also there was a movie recently that had a twist at the end where it ended on 9/11, I forget what it was. I don't think this idea would be fresh.

ZoddGutts

Boy constantly grabbing boobs after the body switch.

As if a teenage boy wouldn't do that. Those scenes were funny anyways with the little sister reactions, even my cousin and her friends (drove them to the theater to watch the film) found them hilarious.

Soar

Looking forward to twelve separate 1 minute shots of the comet in CG, thereby missing the entire point of the movie.

Gravidee

That and also the fact that a lot of the imagery is related to stuff that happened in the Tohoku tsunami and earthquake disaster. Unless they do a pretty 1:1 adaptation, a lot of things from the original that had meaning are going to be lost.

Line_HTX

Hollywood needs to fucking STOP with trying to adapt anime into their cash grabbing shit. Fucking thing never works EVER.

Day 1.

Theres pedigree behind the script so I expect something cool.

Of course the animation is what makes it special, but we will see.

Lets hope they keep out the creepy boob-grabing stuff.

Busaiku

ipjm0abiokcz.gif

Wait, Your Name is not released in US theaters? But why?
It has, I watched it 7 times.
They did a dub, it was a limited theater release.
It was also in Japanese, I watched it twice.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Your Name was amazing, but it should be experienced as it was; an anime.

Yup, I noticed this as well. I was willing to forgive it because the rest of the movie is so good, but its *big* plot hole. My head canon is that some of the finer details get lost when they switch.

Dream logic. Do you know what date your dreams take place on? No? That's what's going on.

They should white wash the guy and not the girl because yellow fever or something.

Asian male lead. Black female lead.

Top Bottom