• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams and Paramount Pictures team up for a live action movie of "Your Name"

There is zero chance any aspect of this will match the original, from soundtrack to visuals to writing or anything else. At least this time the target is a grounded movie and not something that needs a shit ton of CG...

Re-posting from another thread, as I feel quite strongly about having Hollywood make respectful and good live-adaptations of good anime...

I do want Hollywood to crack the anime nut so that way we can see some of the culture bleed into Hollywood and have some amazing movies.

This is a different take though. Usually, Hollywood wants to adapt Shonens or psychological thrillers, but a romance story with some fantasy elements? That is different for Hollywood. Add to the fact that they seem to be getting competent producers and writers on this. Plus, they are adapting a movie to a live action one. So the run-time barrier won't cause problems like with other anime movies trying to cram the entire show into two hours.

I like JJ and his movies so it will be interesting to see how this actually turns out. Could actually be decent, if not good.

orochi91

hNC8Xfi.gif

lol

For anyone asking why, someone saw this make a lot of money (more then Spirited Away to become the highest grossing anime movie of all time) and thought "Hey that could have been my money"

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Why? Characters that fall in love while body swapping isn't an original concept. The things beyond that which really connected in Japan are uniquely Japanese.

I guess this could mesh the sci-fi save the town storyline with the romance better than the original did.

jbug617

Banned
The story is going to be about a boy in NYC and a girl from Kansas. He is living the city life and she is the daughter of a minister.

JJ will be too busy directing Episode XI to do this.

Is this the project that Paramount got blindsided over when JJ took Ep 9?

Because he's not doing anything on this until 2020 at the earliest.

I really liked this movie, and it should work pretty easily as a western adaptation. Y'all are kidding yourselves if you think they'll set it in rural Japan/Tokyo.

Iceman

I love the movie.. but I was a bit disappointed by the protracted
will they/won't they
ending that seemed to lean too heavily towards rewarding
the male's pursuit (albeit ambigiously) while almost forcing us to accept that the female MUST continue/accelerate a relationship with this boob-abuser even while she's just been exposed to a whole new world and time -- particularly a part of the world (the city) that was desperate to become a part of/experience
-- could just be my interpretation. But the silver lining here is that a new, slightly modified version for the west could strengthen the resolution, particularly from the point of view of the female protagonist.

*Sorry, forgot the main character's names, ironically.

And, of course, if I was the screenwriter -- I would have to set it in Japan. The historical context and customs are absolutely key to making this story work. One of the several important reasons would be to remind the west of
that scar, that sin that we inflicted on that country #norevionsism #necessaryevil and how much it has become a part of them, something they carry, almost as the memory of it is in their blood.

But then again, I wouldn't get the job because I'm reminded time and again by Hollywood that if you don't set it in America (with Americans), Americans wont watch it. That's a secret/lingering dogma we're fighting to change right now (along with all the other obvious ones). I WOULD make it in English though -- cause you gotta get that American money #Americansdontreadsubtitltes.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The one aspect of filmmaking JJ is horrendous at is world building, specifically creating a believable living world. This is also happens to one of the most fundamental aspects of Your Name, so yeah, this is gonna be a disaster.

xk0sm0sx

Uh, the story for Your Name isn't very good.
It was the fantastic art and music that makes it good. They can't simply reproduce this with live action.

The one aspect of filmmaking JJ is horrendous at is world building, specifically creating a believable living world. This is also happens to one of the most fundamental aspects of Your Name, so yeah, this is gonna be a disaster.

He's not directing

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the live action version will figure out a way around the glaring flaw in the movie's narrative.

Just to be clear, what I'm talking about (BIG SPOILERS HERE) is
how Taki somehow doesn't realize he's traveling to the past, even though he spends full days at Mitsuha's school all the time. The first time he goes there we even see him/her walk right past a calendar. There's no conceivable way the date didn't come up even once in all that time given that context, so it's pretty implausible for the time change to be such a surprise to him later on. That plot point is treated as the huge reveal of the film despite the fact that the characters clearly should have had that info all along, even if it was withheld from the audience.

Tuck

Your Name was amazing, but it should be experienced as it was; an anime.

Maybe the live action version will figure out a way around the glaring flaw in the movie's narrative.

Just to be clear, what I'm talking about (BIG SPOILERS HERE) is
how Taki somehow doesn't realize he's traveling to the past, even though he spends full days at Mitsuha's school all the time. The first time he goes there we even see him/her walk right past a calendar. There's no conceivable way the date didn't come up even once in all that time given that context, so it's pretty implausible for the time change to be such a surprise to him later on. That plot point is treated as the huge reveal of the film despite the fact that the characters clearly should have had that info all along, even if it was withheld from the audience.

Yup, I noticed this as well. I was willing to forgive it because the rest of the movie is so good, but its *big* plot hole. My head canon is that some of the finer details get lost when they switch.

Top Bottom