• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Xbox responsible for Square Enix relationship breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Does this guy has actually some insight or he is some "insider" or something. As far as I know many rumors from him was false.

I repeat my question why would i need an alt account to say what i said.
Think for a sec instead of posting stupid memes.
muiVJrk.jpg

dude chill 🤣. is not what are you saying is HOW are you saying it. cant you see how funny it is?

Reckheim

So the ps fanboys were saying square doesnt bring their games to xbox because they dont sell on xbox and the audience just isnt there. Well in my case that is correct. So actually we agree on that.
So its pretty logical that i dont want their games on gamepass either. How hard is that to understand???????
Usually people don't treat their consoles like family members being wronged. So yeh, I can see why normal people would have a hard time understanding your 'logic'.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
According to Square Enix, it's because Xbox's rules regarding Cross Play on the Xbox platform. It appears Microsoft has a particular rule about players being able to chat with players on other platforms, and they don't allow players to make communities with players on other platforms like guilds, Or free companies, in FFXIV's case.
Oh well… isn’t that the point of the PRO CONSUMER cross play? ;).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Does this guy has actually some insight or he is some "insider" or something. As far as I know many rumors from him was false.

"Increasingly, I've been hearing rumors that there is something functionally wrong with the relationship between Microsoft and Square Enix."

That's about as flimsy as anything I've read from him, frankly. Doesn't qualify what the source of the rumor is at all. Typically journalists will at least give some minor information about the source that gives them legitimacy, but Jez doesn't even bother doing that. For all we know he read this shit on 4chan.

lol people will cling on to this tweet and pretend sony doesn't pay to keep some titles off Xbox

Why? Everyone should know by now that both Sony and Microsoft do that.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
"Increasingly, I've been hearing rumors that there is something functionally wrong with the relationship between Microsoft and Square Enix."

That's about as flimsy as anything I've read from him, frankly. Doesn't qualify what the source of the rumor is at all. Typically journalists will at least give some minor information about the source that gives them legitimacy, but Jez doesn't even bother doing that. For all we know he read this shit on 4chan.

Why? Everyone should know by now that both Sony and Microsoft do that.
I meant he was "featured" here multiple times with false claims and rumors, so I am asking if he is known to know anything deeper in MS or if he is just grifting

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I just don’t think SE has done anything particularly unforgettable for a couple years now? And that MS’ efforts are better spent on other companies even in Japan?

That seems like a straightforward opinion.

No it's a hot take at a minimum. You realize that they are spending $70 Billion to buy Activision right? Here with Square all they have to do is develop a better relationship.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The fact that I could get the insufferable trash that is Kingdom Hearts 3 on Xbox but I can’t get so many other worthier Sqex games there because of reasons is top BS.
Can’t have good sales for your games on a platform if you don’t, you know, actually sell (and promote, maybe?) them on that platform, genius.

FBeeEye

Banned
I enjoyed Final Fantasy XV but other than that, I'm really not looking forward to anything Square Enix is putting out.

Maybe they had a bad dinner meeting where they drank too much Sake.

Square Enix boss: "Phil, use the word 'dictate' in a sentence."

Phil: "Hey, do you like how Sony's dick tate? *Maniacal laughter*"

Last edited:

Hunnybun

It's obviously absurd to blame the total collapse of Microsoft's relationship with Square on anything Microsoft has done.

It's clearly down to Xbox Series X's terrible design when compared with PS5's astonishing I/O system and super-fast SSD.

fermcr

Basically, Sony paid Square. That's the main reason.

Enough with the BS some people are spewing about Square games not selling on Xbox. FF7Remake and FF16 would have enough sales on Xbox to justify porting the game.

These deals between Square and Sony should be investigated. Sony takes advantage of their superior number of consoles to make 3rd party exclusive deals other companies can't make. That's called a monopoly.

Last edited:

Enough with the BS some people are spewing about Square games not selling on Xbox. FF7Remake and FF16 would have good sales on Xbox. Granted, not as much as the PS5, but there would be more then enough to justify porting the game to Xbox.

These deals between Square and Sony should be investigated. Sony takes advantage of their superior number of consoles to make 3rd party exclusive deals other companies can't make. That's called a monopoly.

Compared to the company that spends 70 billions to buy an entire top third-party publisher...

That's fair market!!!

LOL

Last edited:

ulantan

Enough with the BS some people are spewing about Square games not selling on Xbox. FF7Remake and FF16 would have enough sales on Xbox to justify porting the game.

Why don't Microsoft pay square they did for octopath traveler 1?

Goalus

-Sony is money-hatting them for console exclusives and allowing PC release for these games within 12 months.

-If Sony were to ever acquire them, then probably easier to fight of an legal challenges from Xbox/Microsoft if they haven't released many games on their platform.
This is mostly it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sony handouts are what keeps Square alive.Square would be dead the day Sony stop doing it.
How so? Without FFVIIR moneyhat it would have likely released day 1 on PS, XBOX and PC and sold more copies. Same will apply for FFXVI.

FFXV sold over 10mil copies and wasn't a console exclusive.

FFXIV has never recieved Sony money and is a cash cow making a killing for the company, always been on PC.

KH3 released multiplatform and was a commercial success.

DragonQuest XI again a multiplatform and a huge success.

NieR Automata a multiplatform success. Octopath a success first born on Nintendo.

Sony offers S-E money because their IPs have a dedicated and sizeable audience.

You should look at the companies cash situation and full revenue streams, they are fine and you are incorrect. :messenger_poop:

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
MS probably tried to buy them out for peanuts or threatened a hostile takeover.

Either that or they wore their shoes on Squares carpet.

Roberts

Jez doing a late April Fools joke.
Oh Jez! Blaming Xbox for once is hilarious 😂
He doesn't do it frequently, but he has been criticising Ms and xbox for years, usually in batches. Mostly with noble intentions for them to do better, but also doesn't mince words when something annoys him.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're not. Sony has obviously moneyhatted some of their games. As for there being some other issue with Xbox specifically, I'm open to hearing an explanation but this thread literally has nothing.
They all moneyhat.

And as for the bolded, no shit, hence nothing but fanboy narratives. Do you tho, boo!

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2023/04/07/square-enix-games-xbox-sony-relationship/

Sony has long been accused of being the main reason Square Enix games tend to skip Xbox. While it’s true that PlayStation often signs timed exclusivity deals with the publisher, a new report – ironically by a Microsoft fan site – suggests that there’s more to the story.

Why Square Enix games might be skipping Xbox​

Exclusivity deals aside, Windows Central‘s Jez Corden claims to have heard that something has gone “functionally wrong” between Microsoft and Square Enix.

Recently, the publisher announced Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Collection for all platforms but Xbox, and despite Octopath Traveller previously releasing on Xbox Game Pass, its sequel seems to be skipping Microsoft’s platforms.

Corden didn’t elaborate what exactly went wrong between Square Enix and Microsoft, but in response to a comment on Twitter, he suggested that the issue is on Microsoft’s side rather than Square Enix.

Indeed Square Enix has enjoyed a healthy relationship with Microsoft in the past. The company famously signed a one-year timed exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider – a game from a franchise long associated with PlayStation. We also saw Outriders land on Xbox Game Pass. What changed between the two is anybody’s guess.

Interestingly, Microsoft has complained to lawmakers that Sony is the reason popular Japanese games (read: Final Fantasy) won’t launch on Xbox.

ungalo

There's already a thread.

Outriders on Gamepass was after FF7 Remake exclusivity so i'm not sure how they try to articulate their genius theories.

The idea that Sony could force a 3rd party to not release games on a competitor wouldn’t make any sense lol
Who said they forced anything ? They make deals and it's easy for them to make since Xbox is not that big of a distributor anymore.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I can understand why Squeenix is not porting niche JRPG games to Xbox.
But explain this to me if it is not (in part) because of Sony.

Crisis Core is on Xbox - port of smaller Final Fantasy game that will probably sell less on every platform
Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XVI is not on Xbox - huge FF game that will probably find it's audience even on Xbox

So, you can frame it however you want and I'm sure that Microsoft and Square don't have great relationship. But trying to pretend that Sony's moneyhatts are not contributing to this problem is just shifting blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom