• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Xbox responsible for Square Enix relationship breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Increasingly, I've been hearing rumors that there is something functionally wrong with the relationship between Microsoft and Square Enix. Square Enix has only been offering Xbox a very limited selection of titles from its catalog, including games like Stranger's Paradise and DioField Chronicle, neither of which reviewed particularly spectacularly. Despite Octopath Traveller launching on Xbox and even into Xbox Game Pass, the sequel is nowhere to be found, and likely isn't coming.

Did Phil refuse to buy a round of Sake I wonder?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

Duchess

Did Phil refuse to buy a round of Sake I wonder?
1. Sake is pretty lethal, especially if you go for a tasting session in the afternoon :)

2. Serious - have MS been pressuring SE into letting them be bought? Is this SE's way to telling them to go jump in a lake?

EDIT: Well, Crisis Core is on Xbox, so my take is probably wrong.

Last edited:

ungalo

This guy is really a joke. The question is more about his own relationship with Xbox than Square Enix.

It's absurd to wake up after like 8 years because of a 2D Final Fantasy compilation when it's been the case for plenty of japanese games including Square Enix since the Xbox One. Yeah those games really don't sell on Xbox and that's it.

Rykan

I would not be surprised if Final Fantasy XIV had a major role in this conflict. SE and MS have been talking about Final Fantasy XIV on Xbox for years now, but it never materialized into anything.

According to Square Enix, it's because Xbox's rules regarding Cross Play on the Xbox platform. It appears Microsoft has a particular rule about players being able to chat with players on other platforms, and they don't allow players to make communities with players on other platforms like guilds, Or free companies, in FFXIV's case.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
GET CONGRESS ON THE PHONE NOW!!!
The rumors don't really add up to any kind of rational narrative though.
1. MS is bribing congress to investigate timed exclusives preventing competition in Japan
2. Secretly it is all MS fault so MS is bribing people to investigate their own faults?

Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me lol. Like, if someone can actually explain why its their fault with a tiny bit of proof I'm open to hearing it. Also strange that MS hired Crystal Dynamics to work with their teams on Perfect Dark, and then SQEX sold them for cheap lol. Sony has never hired SQEX teams to make a 1st party game. The whole relationship is just bizarre.

reksveks

My POV (in this context) is whoevers fault it is, it's only one companies responsibility to fix it if they want to improve the relationship.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Lmfao at the brand warriors coming out on twitter to valiantly defend their favorite multi billion dollar corporation, microsoft. Boot licking knows no bounds. As for the news, i dont doubt it, its not a mystery that jrpg’s do better financially on competing platforms. Microsoft probably has to put forward quite a bit of cash to even get these games on their platform. Maybe they just dont want to do that anymore

Go_Ly_Dow

-Microsoft wouldn't allow FFXIV on Xbox, Square tried for years to negotiate with them and this is well documented. It's now grown to be one of the most popular MMO's since WoW. So makes complete sense why the relationship soured....

-The vast majority of Squares target audience and fanbase is on Playstation, Nintendo and PC.

-FFXIII and FFXV sold very little on Xbox.

-Easier to develop large scale AAA games for 1-2 platforms than stretch development over Series S/X too.

-Sony is money-hatting them for console exclusives and allowing PC release for these games within 12 months.

-If Sony were to ever acquire them, then probably easier to fight of an legal challenges from Xbox/Microsoft if they haven't released many games on their platform.

Not rocket science why things are the way they are.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
1. MS is bribing congress to investigate timed exclusives preventing competition in Japan
2. Secretly it is all MS fault so MS is bribing people to investigate their own faults?

Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me lol. Like, if someone can actually explain why its their fault with a tiny bit of proof I'm open to hearing it. Also strange that MS hired Crystal Dynamics to work with their teams on Perfect Dark, and then SQEX sold them for cheap lol. Sony has never hired SQEX teams to make a 1st party game. The whole relationship is just bizarre.
Seems to me like the initiative was not actually capable of making games themselves, either due to a lack of talent or other political reasons. Microsoft said oh fuck because this wasnt realized until after the game was announced, and contracted another experienced triple a developer to actually make the game so it can actually come out some time in the next decade. To save face they said the two studios were collaborating, because they didnt want to admit that the initiative was a failed, very expensive, experiment.

Last edited:

GHG

Lmfao at the brand warriors coming out on twitter to valiantly defend their favorite multi billion dollar corporation, microsoft. Boot licking knows no bounds. As for the news, i dont doubt it, its not a mystery that jrpg’s do better financially on competing platforms. Microsoft probably has to put forward quite a bit of cash to even get these games on their platform. Maybe they just dont want to do that anymore

It's the same old story. The false narrative for so long has been that it's someone else's fault, as with most things that Xbox have struggled with, and now that the truth is being uncovered they don't want to believe it so are resisting the information and are lashing out.

It will take time for them to come to terms with the fact that what they believed for so long isn't the truth.

Chukhopops

Not sure if it’s true but I wouldn’t waste any money or time trying to fix the relation with SE. Just focus on the good, reliable JP devs like Capcom or Sega.

As for the occasional good AA Square Enix game like SoP or Triangle Strategy:
hell yeah sunglasses GIF

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seems to me like the initiative was not actually capable of making them games themselves, either due to a lack of talent or other political reasons. Microsoft said oh fuck because this wasnt realized until after the game was announced, and contracted another experienced triple a developer to actually make the game so it can actually come out some time in the next decade. To save face they said the two studios were collaborating, because they didnt want to admit that the initiative was a failed, very expensive, experiment.
The Initiative clearly fucked up. What I'm saying is hiring a studio like that would imply that MS and SQEX had some kind of deep working relationship (at least the western arm of it).

Topher

Gold Member

What investigation? As far as I know, members of Congress have just written letters and complained on Microsoft's behalf, but nothing else. Did I miss some news?

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
Maybe square just doesn't like Xbox
Maybe square was paid off by Sony
Maybe Xbox doesn't make them enough $$
Maybe Xbox didn't off them a good deal
Maybe no one really cares

So the ps fanboys were saying square doesnt bring their games to xbox because they dont sell on xbox and the audience just isnt there. Well in my case that is correct. So actually we agree on that.
So its pretty logical that i dont want their games on gamepass either. How hard is that to understand???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom