• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Don't Expect Xbox to follow Playstation's Exclusive Style Next-Gen

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
I think it's a good thing. I don't want Xbox to mirror PlayStation. I'm very happy with the Xbox roadmap : Avowed, Everwild, Hellblade 2, etc. If this is Xbox identity going forward, I'm fine. I don't want an Uncharted clone.

When it comes to exclusives, Nintendo had its identity for decades and Sony developped its own. Microsoft should do the same.

devilNprada

I said this last time this image come up, but Horizon is a sandbox. Ghost of Tsushima is a sandbox. Days Gone is a sandbox. Death Stranding is a sandbox. What sandbox games did Xbox have to engage their playerbase this gen?

I think we have different definitions of sandbox... You build absolutley nothing in the two on your list that I've played.

Sandbox to me is minecraft, dragon quest builders, Conan Exiles, ARK etc.

Batiman

Banned
I hope they don’t go that route. Getting sick of these whole cinematic story driven games. Rachet, Spider-Man and GOW were the only real PS4 games I loved. I’ll take something like grounded over all there other IPs easily

Last edited:

TigerKnee

They're just going a different way... for a different crowd.

I've been tough enough on their games but they have an audience and thinking about it, I shouldn't be dunking on the hard work of people at these studios. They have a vision and because it doesn't align with what I want, doesn't mean it has any less value to others.

I'm sure someone will say something disparaging PS5 in the next while and trigger me into saying some nonsense but I want any XBox users here to know I like you all and want you to have a great launch and enjoy every moment of your new console.
You’re about as trustworthy as the person on your avatar...
I kid 🥰

I hope they don’t go that route. Getting sick of these whole cinematic story driven games. Rachet l, Spider-Man and GOW were the only real PS4 games I loved. I’ll take something like grounded over all there other IPs easily
Then buy a third party game. Playstation has all the variety of games available, you don't have to only buy 1st party games. it's just that due to current gaming climate, third party is leaning in one direction and this means Sony had to lean their 1st party the other way to balance it.

Mr Moose

Pretty much none of that counts apart from GTS and Shadowfall.

Also it's amazing that people on a so called "enthusiast gamer forum" still think that GaaS = multiplayer filled with loot boxes lol. Single player games can still be GaaS. Hitman transitioned to GaaS and it was still single player.
OK please explain why most of them don't count, because I am confused. What does count? I thought MLB (that has MP, right?), Everybody's Golf and DriveClub would for sure.
I didn't mention GaaS, it wasn't me disqualifying things that had MP because they had AAA cinematic linear campaigns. I still think that applies to Gears and Halo, would love to know why it doesn't.
Like I said, Xbox has more "MP" games but it's not like there's none on PS first party, they just have a different focus.

devilNprada

Those are Survival games.

Not Dragons quest builders, but ok fair enough, how about Disney Infinity, Fortnite, lego worlds...
Edit: In Sony's case Dreams and little Big Planet, so i agree in that they do have sandbox games I just wouldn't consider HDZ or GOT among them... But maybe i am wrong about what sandbox is, I dunno.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Then buy a third party game. Playstation has all the variety of games available, you don't have to only buy 1st party games. it's just that due to current gaming climate, third party is leaning in one direction and this means Sony had to lean their 1st party the other way to balance it.
I’m getting both at launch. Don’t like missing anything. I’m more excited for MS games this gen so far though.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If Xbox's strategy truly is to focus on GAAS/MP games, then the issue is that most major 3rd party publishers are already focusing on this segment of the market, making it oversaturated. It also doesn't help that every GAAS game wants to monopolise players' time so that they have less available for other games.

This I would say is a large part as to why Sony has found so much sales success with their 1st party games this gen and PS4 in general. They have released story-driven SP games that most of the AAA industry has ignored. This has allowed Sony to round out the PS4's proposition even more where you can get both your GAAS/MP games from 3rd parties, and also your story-driven SP games for the people that are starving for those experiences. And the sales show a lot of people just want to play a good SP games.

As a console manufacturer it's important to provide as broad a game library as possible for your console that covers a breadth of experiences for a large userbase. At this point MS may be heading towards a direction where their console is oversaturated with a certain type of games and not attracting the large number of people who want other types of games.
Why do people pretend that third party companies don't make big budget single player campaigns?

RDR2. GTA5. Assassins Creed. Cyberpunk. Witcher. Doom. Resident Evil. Saints Row. Control. Anthem. etc etc etc. These all exist. Sony aren't the only ones making big budget single player games. In fact I think you'll find the majority of big budget 3rd party games are focused on single player first and foremost.

I’m going to be brutally honest. I wouldn’t want Microsoft to be a clone of Sony because I feel each could bring something unique to the industry. I feel the problem lies with Microsoft generally not putting in the effort and budget that Sony and Nintendo do with first party games. Gamepass is actually a cool service, but I hope they don’t continue to neglect AAA, high budget games because they are leaning more towards services, cross gen games and XCloud.

I think that’s where a lot of people are having their issues with because this is the same company that had Lost Odyssey, Gears, Dead or Alive 4, Ninja Gaiden, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Project Gotham, Rallisport, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Blue Dragon to name a few pretty much exclusive to their systems. They want Microsoft to at least try to match the quality of those days and step their game up. I doubt GAAS and Gamepass will accomplish that, but we’ll see what they have planned.

Microsoft looks to become the industry leader in terms of forging a path towards gamings future. Sony may be content on perfecting the games of the past.

I know which philosophy I prefer.
That's what people used to say about Stadia.
Don't count your chickens yet.

Sony is experimenting just as much, they just don't go all in and abandon everything else. Hence the existence of PSNow and PSVR. Right now PSVR definitely is the more promising of the two, but Sony isn't going to force VR on anyone or sell anything at a loss for it.

JonnyMP3

Not Dragons quest builders, but ok fair enough, how about Disney Infinity, Fortnite, lego worlds...
2 are those collect physical figure games to make stuff happen... Like Skylanders and 1 is a Battle Royal.
Do you have a point?

P.S. You know the term 'Sandbox' first came from the full term of 'Open World Sandbox Game' right?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's what people used to say about Stadia.
Don't count your chickens yet.

Sony is experimenting just as much, they just don't go all in and abandon everything else. Hence the existence of PSNow and PSVR. Right now PSVR definitely is the more promising of the two, but Sony isn't going to force VR on anyone or sell anything at a loss for it.

No one said that about Stadia, lol. Microsoft has 15 studios and a rich pedigree in the industry. Stadia was always a joke.

MrFunSocks

Banned
OK please explain why most of them don't count, because I am confused. What does count? I thought MLB (that has MP, right?), Everybody's Golf and DriveClub would for sure.
I didn't mention GaaS, it wasn't me disqualifying things that had MP because they had AAA cinematic linear campaigns. I still think that applies to Gears and Halo, would love to know why it doesn't.
Like I said, Xbox has more "MP" games but it's not like there's none on PS first party, they just have a different focus.

Simply having MP doesn't make it the same as games that are built with huge multiplayer components. Everybodys golf? really? That's not an online MP game in the sense that people mean when they talk about it.

Gears and Halo have more people buying them for their multiplayer than single player. That's where the fans spend the large majority of their time, and that's where the devs throw all the support and work. Forza Horizons multiplayer is night and day compared to drive club despite both being arcade racers. You even mentioned knack.

JonnyMP3

Why do people pretend that third party companies don't make big budget single player campaigns?

RDR2. GTA5. Assassins Creed. Cyberpunk. Witcher. Doom. Resident Evil. Saints Row. Control. Anthem. etc etc etc. These all exist. Sony aren't the only ones making big budget single player games. In fact I think you'll find the majority of big budget 3rd party games are focused on single player first and foremost.
No one's pretending 3rd party don't make single player games.

We're making it clear and obvious that it's Xbox 1st party don't make any.

Mr Moose

Simply having MP doesn't make it the same as games that are built with huge multiplayer components. Everybodys golf? really? That's not an online MP game in the sense that people mean when they talk about it.

Gears and Halo have more people buying them for their multiplayer than single player. That's where the fans spend the large majority of their time, and that's where the devs throw all the support and work. Forza Horizons multiplayer is night and day compared to drive club despite both being arcade racers. You even mentioned knack.
Everybodys golf? really? That's not an online MP game in the sense that people mean when they talk
You literally walk around with other people in your game while playing Everybody's Golf, how is it not? Are you redefining what multiplayer is?
I play CoD for the campaign mostly (fuck BO3 though), does that mean it's not an MP game? You're just being selective. I was kinda joking about Knack, but it is technically an MP game since you can have more than one player (it is co-op).
You can't change a definition of multiplayer because more people buy a game for the MP than the campaign, it doesn't work like that. Halo and Gears have cinematic linear campaigns.
We can just agree that Sony have MP games, and MS has a few more, we don't need to add variables to them.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You literally walk around with other people in your game while playing Everybody's Golf, how is it not? Are you redefining what multiplayer is?
I play CoD for the campaign mostly (fuck BO3 though), does that mean it's not an MP game? You're just being selective. I was kinda joking about Knack, but it is technically an MP game since you can have more than one player (it is co-op).
You can't change a definition of multiplayer because more people buy a game for the MP than the campaign, it doesn't work like that. Halo and Gears have cinematic linear campaigns.
We can just agree that Sony have MP games, and MS has a few more, we don't need to add variables to them.
We do need to add more "variables" to them though. When people talk about online multiplayer games they clearly are not talking about things like Knack, Everybody's Golf, and MLB The Show.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The term “sandbox” has pretty much lost all meaning in gaming if we are using it for any open world game.

The term was originally coined for games like Black and White or maybe Sim City. Where you start from a blank canvas and build a world and watch things interact.

At some point it started being used for games with a ton of freedom for how to solve a problem like Hitman games. Then GTA was coined that because the sheer amount of time people spend just driving around murdering things and ignoring the game.

Now it’s “track down icons on a map in an order that isn’t 100% linear” and it’s a sandbox?

Last edited:

devilNprada

2 are those collect physical figure games to make stuff happen... Like Skylanders and 1 is a Battle Royal.
Do you have a point?

P.S. You know the term 'Sandbox' first came from the full term of 'Open World Sandbox Game' right?

I wasn't trying to argue with you, but now your just wrong..

Lego worlds is not a figure collecting game your confused it's considered a sandbox, and in Disney Infinity you build your own maps...

Survival games can be and are often sandbox games.. Open world games don't have to be and are often not sandbox games....

GOT and HDZ are not sandbox games and I have platinumed both...

Have you even played any of these or just like to argue?

The term “sandbox” has pretty much lost all meaning in gaming if we are using it for any open world game.

The term was originally coined for games like Black and White or maybe Sim City. Where you start from a blank canvas and build a world and watch things interact.

At some point it started being used for games with a ton of freedom for how to solve a problem like Hitman games. Then GTA was coined that because the sheer amount of time people spend just driving around murdering things and ignoring the game.

Now it’s “track down icons on a map in an order that isn’t 100% linear” and it’s a sandbox?

Something like Fortnite is more of a sandbox than most open world games.

We do need to add more "variables" to them though. When people talk about online multiplayer games they clearly are not talking about things like Knack, Everybody's Golf, and MLB The Show.

I think Sony should invest in more multiplayer experiences but excluding MLB is nonsense. It's very much a multiplayer experience like any other sports game.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

If they are multiplayer, then sure they are. You can't disqualify things just to suit your needs. Anyway, whatever, MS has more, like I said, everyone's happy.

JonnyMP3

The premise is simple.
Do you like 3rd person open world games like GTA, RDR, Assassin's Creed, The Witcher, MGS, Mad Max, Just Cause, Saints Row, Watch Dogs and the like?
If yes. Playstation has more!
If no. Xbox has Game Pass.

JonnyMP3

I wasn't trying to argue with you, but now your just wrong..

Lego worlds is not a figure collecting game your confused it's considered a sandbox, and in Disney Infinity you build your own maps...

Survival games can be and are often sandbox games.. Open world games don't have to be and are often not sandbox games....

GOT and HDZ are not sandbox games and I have platinumed both...

Have you even played any of these or just like to argue?
But yes you are trying to argue because you're bring up games I and nobody over 12 years old gives a crap about like Lego Worlds and Disney Infinity as some sort of point?
And how are HZD and GOT not sandbox?
And I do like to argue because you have no point. You brought up a bunch of games and just labelled them 'Sandbox' because that's what you believe the term to be.
And yet you're now claiming that Ghost and Horizon aren't Sandbox?
Based on what criteria are they not? Apart from you just literally making that claim from NOTHING.

But honestly... Who gives a shit about Disney Infinity? Big whoop!

IntentionalPun

Something like Fortnite is more of a sandbox than most open world games.
It has some sandbox elements and do a number of open world games.

Like Days Gone arguably does with the zombies and how you can use them for strategy to wipe out camps. But it’s really talking a term and using it pretty loosely in these scenarios.

I just finished Ghosts of Tsushima and would never use “sandbox” to describe it as it’s a real stretch. Might as well call any game where you can switch weapons or use stealth a sandbox.

I blame journalists and GTA for ruining the term. Whatever they call their “emergent AI” started this trend of overusing the term and it never really ever made the game a sandbox lol

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I'm still hopeful that some of the xbox game studios will give us things at the calibre of Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica but yeah I don't expect it anytime soon.

It's not. When was the last time anyone ever called Knack an online multiplayer game?

When people talk about online multiplayer games they're talking about the games that have a big focus on online multiplayer, like COD/Battlefield/Halo/Gears/etc.

I wasn't talking about Knack 🤦‍♂️

Sports games DO have a big online focus. You're seriously going to argue otherwise?

devilNprada

But yes you are trying to argue because you're bring up games I and nobody over 12 years old gives a crap about like Lego Worlds and Disney Infinity as some sort of point?
And how are HZD and GOT not sandbox?
And I do like to argue because you have no point. You brought up a bunch of games and just labelled them 'Sandbox' because that's what you believe the term to be.
And yet you're now claiming that Ghost and Horizon aren't Sandbox?
Based on what criteria are they not? Apart from you just literally making that claim from NOTHING.

But honestly... Who gives a shit about Disney Infinity? Big whoop!

I see you're a "REAL" gamer... I stand corrected I guess.

IntentionalPun

Just so we're clear... Sandbox was the term used to describe GTA 3 and the like before Minecraft even existed.
And it was a bastardization of the term.

It was used to describe games far more similar to Minecraft than GTA before GTA 3 got labeled a sandbox.

WatDat

Banned
As is the adoration of 3rd party, over the shoulder cinematic games with limited/mediocre gameplay a personal preference.

Will I get banned for agreeing with this? (And I play said ‘over the shoulder cinematic PS4 games.’.........)
I mean, a lot of those ND games have boner level visuals but mang oh mang......I think I literally know exactly when to put my controller down, without pausing, take a leak and grab another drink. Kinda like a television commercial. Personal pref, for sure.
I just don’t understand why peeps get so much flack (and reported ON AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD OMGZ!!) for having the AUDACTITY to say that they just are not turned on by such games. Okay, back to this not so thinly veiled console war bait thread...........

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

And it was a bastardization of the term.

It was used to describe games far more similar to Minecraft than GTA before GTA 3 got labeled a sandbox.
And what games were like Minecraft before Minecraft?
The only thing similar I can think of were called Sims.

No, seriously. Drawing a blank... I'll even completely concede the name of sandbox from GTA, if you can give me an example of a sandbox before GTA took the term from whatever was a sandbox before it.

Edit: Nope. Can't think of any still. GTA 3 came out in 2001. I am really struggling to think of a popular world building game from the 90's that's similar to Minecraft.

Last edited:

pixelation

Way to scrub the context.

cHKrrzg.png
Crackdown 3 comes to mind... *shudders*

People can try and spin however they want, truth is Microsoft's output this gen was pretty lackluster and it's quite clear that they can't compete with Sony. Guess they're okey with being the "Netflix of gaming" guess that means straight to VOD quality like games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom