• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Don't Expect Xbox to follow Playstation's Exclusive Style Next-Gen

quest

Not Banned from OT
I legit miss the Xbox that could compete in AAA, high produced games.

And this shit isn't an either or proposition.

They could do both. They choose to just do the GaaS shit.

The Xbox division needs new leadership badly.
Prove avowed, fable, everwild, hell blade 2 and inexiles 2 upcoming RPGs are GAAS. I want receipts hard evidence. Your trying to spread FUD with zero facts.

Reactions: JLB

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I wouldn't have though you could make an MP bigger than what we have now in terms of Fortnite and stuff because they are on all platforms not just on Xbox though , surely to take the world by storm it would have to be literally on everything including ps like Fortnite is .

In my opinion, Fortnites ceiling in terms of player engagement has much more to do with design than the number of platforms it's on.

Fortnite doesn't appeal to a ton of people for a variety of reasons. Most notably...

- Engaging with the world isn't as interesting as it could be. It's a world class sandbox, but a sandbox that will no doubt be eclipsed within the next 5-10 years.

- The skill floor is too high. The game rewards twitch reflexes and fast decision making too much. Think about how many more people can engage with a game like Animal Crossing (or Fall Guys). Controlling a simple character in a complex world has much broader appeal.

Prove avowed, fable, everwild, hell blade 2 and inexiles 2 upcoming RPGs are GAAS. I want receipts hard evidence. Your trying to spread FUD with zero facts.

Got the links to the gameplay for Avowed, Fable, etc? I remember we just saw the gameplay for Halo and well....

Continue your nonprofit PR work though for the state of Xbox now.

I just want Xbox the way it was when they gave a shit about games. Not even to be like Playstation.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Fortnites ceiling in terms of player engagement has much more to do with design than the number of platforms it's on.

Fortnite doesn't appeal to a ton of people for a variety of reasons. Most notably...

- Engaging with the world isn't as interesting as it could be. It's a world class sandbox, but a sandbox that will no doubt be eclipsed within the next 5-10 years.

- The skill floor is too high. The game rewards twitch reflexes and fast decision making too much. Think about how many more people can engage with a game like Animal Crossing (or Fall Guys). Controlling a simple character in a complex world has much broader appeal.

And still it pulls in millions of players from everywhere I was using all the mp titans as an example really not just Fortnite , I can't think of any mp on their scale locked to one platform like the Xbox eco system or even ps exclusive It wouldn't be the same scale as those MP's I mentioned therefore I don't think it'll happen the major mp's will always be multi platform anything else is a pipedream imho.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Got the links to the gameplay for Avowed, Fable, etc? I remember we just saw the gameplay for Halo and well....

Continue your nonprofit PR work though for the state of Xbox now.

I just want Xbox the way it was when they gave a shit about games. Not even to be like Playstation.
Continue your Sony astroturfing. I'm still waiting on the proof it should be easy since every single Microsoft is now GAAS according to the Sony astroturfers in here.

They give a shit about games they take time to develop ffs. They purchased these studios in 2018. Games take 4-5 years to develop now do the math.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And still it pulls in millions of players from everywhere I was using all the mp titans as an example really not just Fortnite , I can't think of any mp on their scale locked to one platform like the Xbox eco system or even ps exclusive It wouldn't be the same scale as those MP's I mentioned therefore I don't think it'll happen the major mp's will always be multi platform anything else is a pipedream imho.

I think that's a mistake. XBox + PC is an insanely large market.

League of Legends, Counter Strike etc are still quite large. I could see MS producing a title that takes the industry by storm. Still think Halo Infinite will be way bigger than sentiment on NeoGAF suggests.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Actually, I do.

Sony hit a lot of singles and doubles last season.

Now it looks like XBox is shopping for a bunch of home run hitters in the off-season.

Let's not pretend that Microsoft and XBox weren't woefully outgunned this generation. They had inferior marketshare, and a stable of paltry first party studios.

MS looks to have corrected both weaknesses in the off-season in preparation for next gen.

In other words, a lack of talent decided the outcome of this generation, not a superior or inferior strategy.

Dude.........the inferior strategy is what created the outcome this generation. We all remember TV, TV, TV from 2013. And also the "Always connected Xbox One" strategy.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Dudue.........the inferior strategy is what created the outcome this generation. We all remember TV, TV, TV from 2013.

I disagree. I went with PS4 because of two factors.

Sony had a much more impressive stable of first party developers in 2013, and pricing + global awareness made the PS4 the foregone market leader which meant it was going to have the best third party support.

Better first party + better third party = The horse you hitch your wagon to in 2013.

I've shifted a bit since that, much more interested in singular games as platforms going forward, but I think both factors are still relatively important.

I think that's a mistake. XBox + PC is an insanely large market.

League of Legends, Counter Strike etc are still quite large. I could see MS producing a title that takes the industry by storm. Still think Halo Infinite will be way bigger than sentiment on NeoGAF suggests.

Couldn't Sony do exactly the same though ?
Xbox-pc are a big market granted ps is also chasing the pc crowd now with a few game releases but you need everyone on board for a massively successful mp just look at how many players MP's like mw/Fortnite etc have on the ps platform it's a massive portion any multiplayer would be without that huge chunk of a playerbase sticking to xbox-pc platform hence I don't think they'd be as big as you say .

Calverz

Halo sure as hell didn't look AAA. I'll reserve judgement until I see the sequels to the others running on actual XSX HW.
Ok. But my original point still stands. People need to stop talking utter rubbish around here. Its like some are 7 years old. They think xbox hasnt existed pre 2013.

Leyasu

Banned
Well first thank you I may have been a bit too harsh on you but it is the second time I had to explain the difference between small/smaller it got a bit tiring but it is not your fault.

Then I did not said they wouldn't have big games just that the previous quoted those games as big when I just pointed out that they may be just as they may not be since we don't know anything about them.

I do agree with you that they can make big games, but I also know how troublesome it can be to develop a game and I think this system doesn't leave much place to delays which are basically inevitable when publishing lots of games.

I think the best way to do it for them is to alternate between GAAS and more "traditionnal" games where a small team would take care of updating the GAAS while the rest of the studio can work on a bigger game.That would help people wait between games and allow more flexibility on release dates.

A great example about this I think is Halo Infinite I don't think it is unfixable but I do think it will take time but sadly I don't think MS can afford to launch their new series without it.So it will probably come out kinda unfinished (the ray tracing patch is a good demonstration of it).So in a 3/4 month rotation it will be nearly impossible to turn things around if a game had a troublesome development.
That's why I think a reduction in ambition would allow more flexibility on release dates or greatly increase the number of dev for each studios and crunch hard.
And I'd rather have smaller games than more crunch and I think it suits better the gamepass vision of MS.

343 have put Microsoft in a tight spot with Halo. 5yrs to develop an engine and game, and that is what they have delivered. I have said it in other threads that 343s project management is a fucking catastrophe They should have brought in support last year when it was obvious that they were missing milestones. The game probably needs another yr in the oven.

You french by the way?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
343 have put Microsoft in a tight spot with Halo. 5yrs to develop an engine and game, and that is what they have delivered. I have said it in other threads that 343s project management is a fucking catastrophe They should have brought in support last year when it was obvious that they were missing milestones. The game probably needs another yr in the oven.

You french by the way?
Exactly how did you guess?
No let me guess... I have 4 ideas:
1. the way I conjugate
2 sentence construction (very long fucking sentences)
3 grammatical mistakes that are more often associated with french
4 and the most probable my nickname?

Edit: Wait I just noticed are you Putin ... Voldemort Putin ?From Russia ?

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Exactly how did you guess?
No let me guess... I have 4 ideas:
1. the way I conjugate
2 sentence construction (very long fucking sentences)
3 grammatical mistakes that are more often associated with french
4 and the most probable my nickname?

Edit: Wait I just noticed are you Putin ... Voldemort Putin ?From Russia ?
Your name is the clue. Your english is pretty damn good. I live in France, in the Oise department

MS games studios are a joke. They have inherited/franchises from other publishers and made them their own Only to disgrace them. It happened with Halo and gears of war. those games are forgettable.
Even their own path of games is subpar. Quality wise only turn 10 keeps creating good racers. But besides that the games MS studios produce are not inspiring they are just fillers. Their studios do not make the games they want to make they are married to franchises that are not passionate about. And that is not cool.

This is the dumbest quote on this thread

MrMiyagi

Banned
We have no idea what those games are about as we've only gotten some cgi. But common sense tells me that they are going to be GAAS, when even Halo is going down that path.

Episodic and Gaas games are the type of games that MS needs if they want to keep people subscribed to GamePass. With something like Gears 5, people just sign up for a trial, finish the game and cancel right after. Hell, that's what I did and I'm pretty sure that's not how MS plans to make money.

Top Bottom