• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaremy Rich leaves Bungie to become Sony’s Head of Product Managament for Live Service

StereoVsn

We used to call this getting promoted...

This happens all the time. Herman Hulst was Studio Head of Guerrilla Games before becoming head of PlayStation Studios.

By taking talent from across your subsidiaries, you bolster your talent at your headquarters and create new opportunities for people internally or externally at your subsidiaries.

Hell Kaz Hirai went from head of SCEI to CEO of Sony Corp.

Not sure why this is news.
Except this is more like rewarding incompetence with a promotion considering how Bungie has been performing last couple years.

Failing upwards still works I guess. Best of luck to Sony with Jar-emy in charge.

He's in charge of the GaaS initiative. Helldivers is a second-party title. Somehow he will screw that forcing MTX and shit, like they tried with Factions. Don't underestimate human incompetence.
I don't think that will end well seeing that the majority of players is on PC.

Lost players on 1 platform will lead to less income and less investment in the game for the remaining platform. That in turn will lead to a decline in players on the remaining platform.
It's the most shitty investment you can do.

No-one is that stupid.

They will lose a shitton of players. Sony doesn't have that much influence I can tell you that much.

No this game is fine as it is and already has mtx for the most popular components. Just not intrusive enough to be seen as corporate greed.

Last edited:
g0yNMzp.gif

Except this is more like rewarding incompetence with a promotion considering how Bungie has been performing last couple years.

Failing upwards still works I guess. Best of luck to Sony with Jar-emy in charge.

That's only if you believe that a company that fucks up has nothing but bad employees from top to bottom and can't possibly have some good employees in the mix. Considering Destiny has been a top GAAS game for like 10 years now I find it hard to believe there's no one at Bungie worth hiring.

What did Jaremy fail at specifically?

Bungie made two of the most popular GaaS games and it's transitioning towards the conclusion of Destiny 2. Not sure how that falls on Jaremy specifically.

ByWatterson

Bungie made two of the most popular GaaS games and it's transitioning towards the conclusion of Destiny 2. Not sure how that falls on Jaremy specifically.

Yeah I think at most Bungie can be credibly accused of fumbling the ball a few times in the fourth quarter, up four touchdowns. Destiny has been a rousing success, but isn't anymore but....the crazy success is important context.

And we have no idea what his performance has been or what he's been pushing for or against.

Yeah I think at most Bungie can be credibly accused of fumbling the ball a few times in the fourth quarter, up four touchdowns. Destiny has been a rousing success, but isn't anymore but....the crazy success is important context.

And we have no idea what his performance has been or what he's been pushing for or against.

It's funny that we consider a game that is still one of the most played games at the moment a fumble. I think what is more likely is that they've just really screwed up their timeline.

Delaying Final Shape AND Marathon basically means they're still spending what they were spending but their intake isn't where it should be.

This is what resulted in layoffs, but if they get Final Shape and more importantly Marathon right, all doubters are immediately put to bed and they'll still have Destiny 3 in their pocket.

EDMIX

I thought Sony was supposed to take over Bungie, not the other way around.
lol

Well...not really.

I think regardless, if a publisher buys up a team and sees that someone can do a great job on management front for the whole company, it makes sense to promote them. Especially if Sony even bought Bungie for those types of talents in the first place.

This is not the news I wanted to hear. Destiny 2 has been the single scummiest gaas game imagineable. Their entire philosophy is making throwaway content as fast as possible and increasing price every year. Bungie has thrived on FOMO more than any other dev.

Sony is doubling down on their bad direction they took when they aquired Bungie. Bungie is the studio that VAULTED over $150 worth of content! They literally just took it away from players...some of the expansions they removed had been released less than 2 years prior! (Mars and Mercury). Fucking Sony.

StereoVsn

Last several years have seen erosion of the user base, lack of content and repeatedly failing to meet their earning targets. That’s not success.

Yes, they are still rising their earlier accomplishments into the ground but they have not been able to produce anything worthwhile.

StereoVsn

That's only if you believe that a company that fucks up has nothing but bad employees from top to bottom and can't possibly have some good employees in the mix. Considering Destiny has been a top GAAS game for like 10 years now I find it hard to believe there's no one at Bungie worth hiring.
No, of course not, but the blame lies in their management and isn’t this person a part of that?

Last several years have seen erosion of the user base, lack of content and repeatedly failing to meet their earning targets. That’s not success.

Yes, they are still rising their earlier accomplishments into the ground but they have not been able to produce anything worthwhile.

What you're ignoring is that is largely the platform of a GaaS game.

Destiny 2 is nearing EOL.

These games largely don't go on forever. This isn't a game like Fortnite or World of Warcraft.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Makes sense. Bungie was hired to be MP overseer.

Now one of them is in charge of Sony GAAS kinds of shit. Expect more mtx and ways to get money from your wallet.

They promoted a Communications Director at Bungie to head of Live Service product at Playstation?! WTF?!

Not really a good sign for the PS executive team. Bungie is the wokest of the woke and I'm sure their Communications Director is balls-deep in that radical libtard ideology.

No, of course not, but the blame lies in their management and isn’t this person a part of that?

The blame lies somewhere I can agree with that. We don’t know where that is though. I imagine Sony didn’t just hire this guy on a whim and they saw him doing and accomplishing things they approve of. Hell for all we know this guy could be the one who helped with hell divers 2.

They promoted a Communications Director at Bungie to head of Live Service product at Playstation?! WTF?!

Not really a good sign for the PS executive team. Bungie is the wokest of the woke and I'm sure their Communications Director is balls-deep in that radical libtard ideology.

No.....the communications director was a different guy that left the copmpany

Yesterday, Jaremy Rich, Managing Director of Revenue and Product Management at Bungie

Mooreberg

The fumbles were occurring quite a bit earlier than the fourth quarter if Activision decided to cut ties with them five years ago. That is less than eighteen months after Destiny 2 launch. At what point, pre-Microsoft (hell, even post-acquisition) did Activision strike you as a company that would leave easy money on the table? The Bungie / Activision pairing didn't even last five years beyond the retail release of the first Destiny. There is simply no way this franchise was delivering upon every expectation and Activision just suddenly decided, "nah, we're good". In a universe where Destiny actually lives up to expectations and meets Activision's goals, Bungie goes full circle and ends up with Microsoft as their publisher again. The difference this time is they'd still be independent, and still operating on a contract that permitted them to keep the Destiny IP upon divorce. So maybe they end up a Sony/PlayStation subsidiary anyway, but the knitting classes survive a bit longer with that pairing occurring slightly later in the actual universe.

lol

Well...not really.

I think regardless, if a publisher buys up a team and sees that someone can do a great job on management front for the whole company, it makes sense to promote them. Especially if Sony even bought Bungie for those types of talents in the first place.

Correct. In the tech world, this is known as an "acquihires". You get a group of rank and file employees who have an overall good track record historically (and, even know, Bungie would still fit the bill as a talented studio). You also get some talented management that may be brought into the fold of the parent corporation. If it hasn't happened already, you can most likely make a safe bet that higher ups in ChatGPT will be promoted to company wide executive positions within Microsoft. AI is is driving Microsoft's rapid uptick in market cap. You also sometimes get situations where Valve buys out a walking simulator developer who then go on to __________________? over a span of eight years. Not a joke, not an exaggeration.

This is not the news I wanted to hear. Destiny 2 has been the single scummiest gaas game imagineable. Their entire philosophy is making throwaway content as fast as possible and increasing price every year. Bungie has thrived on FOMO more than any other dev.

Sony is doubling down on their bad direction they took when they aquired Bungie. Bungie is the studio that VAULTED over $150 worth of content! They literally just took it away from players...some of the expansions they removed had been released less than 2 years prior! (Mars and Mercury). Fucking Sony.

The more I read about Destiny 2 post-Forsaken, the more happy I am that my co-op buddy (read: next door neighbor) and I jumped ship in early 2019 (hey, what else happened then?) and moved on to The Division. We both had it in the backlog, had a ton of fun playing through it, but didn't pick up the expansions since the sequel had already released. However this manages to keep happening with Ubisoft titles, we were able to pick up The Division 2 for $19.99 not even four months after release (amusingly, I had bought Far Cry New Dawn for $19.99 one month after release just a few months earlier, though that has it's own unique MTX headaches for something that is in no shape or a form a "live service" shooter). Played the hell out of it, and then the expansions hit fire sale pricing not long after on PSN, and we played the hell out of those. We did pretty much everything other than endlessly engaging in the monotony of The Summit, which didn't seem to be worth the time. Never got into "Dark Zone" in either game either, but that was fine, I was already half a decade past the rampant stupidity of PvP modes at that point. TL;DR - it became my favorite co-op franchise ever, and was uncharacteristically non-abusive towards customers for a Ubisoft game. I have no idea why we don't have "The Division 3" by now. I don't know if Massive Entertainment is now a multi-team studio and it is in the oven, or someone made the catastrophic decision to focus on Avatar and Star Wars games instead. If that is the case, Ubisoft management problems are dramatically worse than even the eleven years spent shitting out "Skull & Bones" would indicate.

Makes sense. Bungie was hired to be MP overseer.
Now one of them is in charge of Sony GAAS kinds of shit. Expect more mtx and ways to get money from your wallet.

Sadly, this is very likely the case. At least until they discover there is a ceiling on how many "service" games a person can actually juggle at once. Whether you're a forum goer or Elon Musk, there is once inescapable reality: nobody can buy more time.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The blame lies somewhere I can agree with that. We don’t know where that is though. I imagine Sony didn’t just hire this guy on a whim and they saw him doing and accomplishing things they approve of. Hell for all we know this guy could be the one who helped with hell divers 2.
Helldivers is completely different studio.

Bungie management is very leftist, couple that with Sony’s latest endeavors with “The Message”, plus clear desire to drive more MTX and engagement , and the whole affair here does not sound like a good thing for regular customers.

Hopefully I am wrong, but kind of doubt it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's going to be a shame when Bungie shuts its doors....

I think their only option is to be purchased by a Chinese company now? and all the staff leave the sinking ship?

That, or Marathon is amazing and all goes well.

Top Bottom