• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaremy Rich leaves Bungie to become Sony’s Head of Product Managament for Live Service

Draugoth

Gold Member
Ben Lewis, Destiny 2's Communications Director, has left Bungie. Yesterday, Jaremy Rich, Managing Director of Revenue and Product Management at Bungie, also announced his departure after 7.5 years. Rich has joined SIE as the Head of Product Management for Live Service games.

GKRTqBSbcAAJp70

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Bungie had one GAAS success (that became F2P after it failed to meet expectations) and suddenly Sony see them as experts
They are. Destiny was one of the pioneers in the GaaS space, it’s been around a decade, and it survived two failed GaaS launches. I’m not a fan of Destiny 2 after they took away my paid content, but if I was a company looking to milk every last dollar out of the poor schmucks who buy my games, I’d be listening to Bungie.

Freeman76

Destiny 2 is a scumfest with its monetization, they do anything to get their hands in your pockets. Everyone blamed Activision but they got worse after the split. This canr be good news lol

Hugare

They are. Destiny was one of the pioneers in the GaaS space, it’s been around a decade, and it survived two failed GaaS launches. I’m not a fan of Destiny 2 after they took away my paid content, but if I was a company looking to milk every last dollar out of the poor schmucks who buy my games, I’d be listening to Bungie.
Doesnt mean that their next product will be as successful or they now know the formula for success, specially with other genres

Destiny was a huge letdown after all the hype but still made a lot of money due to said hype. Destiny 2 didnt sell nearly as much at launch, and became a success after it became F2P years later.

The expansions are great, and so is their support. Doesn't mean they should have a say in how ND was building Factions, for example, or any other studio not working on a FPS game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Or you could look at it as Bungie starting to get their marching orders from Sony. I.e. You are going to start justifying you purchase cost to the Playstation brand mothership sooner than you thought.

Remember a lot of that purchase price was tied into retention bonuses, which in turn may well have been tied to revenue targets...

People expecting Sony to just unload Bungie are nuts. They own the IP, and are going to want to see what they can generate using those IP's before they do anything. Losing management is neither here nor there, for a start off they are a tiny proportion of the total workforce and quite frankly trying to setup again from scratch in the current economy/overall state of the industry will not be easy.

No offence, but they've fucked off MS, and Activision already, add Sony to that list and who's left to bankroll them?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
It still boggles my mind how people look at what Bungie has done with Destiny over the last 10 years and think they don't know what they're doing. Yeah, they've been going through a rough patch the last little while, but the product is still solid, and it's still generating money for them.

Does this mean more like destiny and less like HD2? I sure hope not.
It just means someone with experience in live service games leading a team advising studios how to make sure their games don't die coming out of the gate.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
He's in charge of the GaaS initiative. Helldivers is a second-party title. Somehow he will screw that forcing MTX and shit, like they tried with Factions. Don't underestimate human incompetence.
We have no idea what happened to Factions.

We used to call this getting promoted...

This happens all the time. Herman Hulst was Studio Head of Guerrilla Games before becoming head of PlayStation Studios.

By taking talent from across your subsidiaries, you bolster your talent at your headquarters and create new opportunities for people internally or externally at your subsidiaries.

Hell Kaz Hirai went from head of SCEI to CEO of Sony Corp.

Not sure why this is news.

Top Bottom