• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Readers Vote For The Next "Poster Manga" for Shonen Jump

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next big shounen will be one that completely shakes up the already established shounen formula.

The existing formula has been replicated to such a degree that it has become stale for most.

ionitron

Wow, I knew Haikyuu has a passionate fandom, but I thought My Hero Academia would be the one to win it.

I haven't read Haikyuu but if it's legitimately really good, I'll give it a shot.

My Hero Academia is one of my favorite mangas in a long time though. I don't think I've ever loved characters in a manga as much as that one.

Kusagari

So in truth they really have nothing.

I doubt Jump will ever have a big hit like One Piece or Naruto again.

The business model of having printed manga will become even more outdated in the future. Naver are way ahead of them in that department.

#2 on the list is arguably bigger than Naruto in Japan. It also started before Naruto.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wow, I knew Haikyuu has a passionate fandom, but I thought My Hero Academia would be the one to win it.

I haven't read Haikyuu but if it's legitimately really good, I'll give it a shot.

My Hero Academia is one of my favorite mangas in a long time though. I don't think I've ever loved characters in a manga as much as that one.

Haikyuu sells way more the MHA so it's not surprising. It's currently the highest selling non-One Piece Shounen Jump manga.

So what does everyone think about the six new series coming to Jump? This amount is unprecedented for the magazine, so that's pretty exciting. Dr. Stone is the one I'm looking forward to most since it's being written by Inagaki (Eyeshield 21).

Also apparently Straighten Up! is showing signs of being on its way out and that gets me mad salty. It's unlike any other WSJ manga I've ever read.

FStubbs

Black Clover is a cynical shounen. I'm fairly certain the author is aware it's mediocre so the second the manga starts to drag a war randomly breaks out with tons of flash batles or a big evil dude shows. There's no build up, it's just a conveyor belt of popular shounen tropes.

Glad Hinomaru Zumou made the list, in spite of it's low sales it's a very well paced and high quality manga so deserving of it's continued serialization.

IIRC the mangaka for Black Clover tried a more "original" manga but it didn't go over well, so yeah, Black Clover seems like a "f**k it" sort of response and it's funny that it's doing so well.

Moaradin

I haven't read the manga but the anime for Haikyuu is amazing.

It also has way more episodes than MHA atm. 60 episodes vs. 13. MHA will definitely blow up once the anime kicks off.

#2 on the list is arguably bigger than Naruto in Japan. It also started before Naruto.

Not even close. Sure manga volume sales are close but as a franchise, video games, movie, cds, novels etc Naruto is second only to One Piece in the current WSJ.

Even then overseas, Naruto far surpasses One Piece being second or even equalling DBZ in some areas.

Naruto could easily take the face of WSJ for another 5+ years worldwide, the series actually grew in popularity at its ending, heck WSJ even asked Kishi for a Part 3, but he refused.

Boruto is a monthly cash grab, with horrible art and is not written by Kishi. The majority of the Naruto fanbase are ignoring it for such reasons and I completely agree with them. Naruto GT is going to start soon as well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
IIRC the mangaka for Black Clover tried a more "original" manga but it didn't go over well, so yeah, Black Clover seems like a "f**k it" sort of response and it's funny that it's doing so well.

I'm more surprised it ranks so well. It's consistently at least the 3rd highest rank even when the content is mundanely derivative

So what does everyone think about the six new series coming to Jump? This amount is unprecedented for the magazine, so that's pretty exciting. Dr. Stone is the one I'm looking forward to most since it's being written by Inagaki (Eyeshield 21).

Also apparently Straighten Up! is showing signs of being on its way out and that gets me mad salty. It's unlike any other WSJ manga I've ever read.

Well it certainly has my attention now.

bjork

Hinomaru Zumou is quite a good series, but I think being based on sumo really limits its appeal. I dig it, but I can see how it might turn people off who aren't into it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not even close. Sure manga volume sales are close but as a franchise, video games, movie, cds, novels etc Naruto is second only to One Piece in the current WSJ.

Even then overseas, Naruto far surpasses One Piece being second or even equalling DBZ in some areas.

Naruto could easily take the face of WSJ for another 5+ years worldwide, the series actually grew in popularity at its ending, heck WSJ even asked Kishi for a Part 3, but he refused.

Boruto is a monthly cash grab, with horrible art and is not written by Kishi. The majority of the Naruto fanbase are ignoring it for such reasons and I completely agree with them. Naruto GT is going to start soon as well.
Pretty Sure One Piece is the face of anime world wide currently. There was a ranking (combining tv viewer streaming online conversations etc) that put it at the 13th or something biggest tv show at the moment worldwide, Naruto was a few places behind it.

jph139

Yeah, I'm surprised to see Haikyu!! taking it over My Hero Academia. I think they're in the same ballpark quality-wise, but sports manga never seem as popular to me (as much as I love them).

Honestly, I don't want too many more big-ticket franchises. I like One Piece as the WSJ core with a wide variety of mid-size series orbiting around it. I've been enjoying it a lot more since Naruto, Bleach, and Toriko all ended.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Hinomaru Zumou is quite a good series, but I think being based on sumo really limits its appeal. I dig it, but I can see how it might turn people off who aren't into it.

It's a shame really being so character driven the story could work with pretty much any combat sport and Sumo is pretty much the least attractive.

FStubbs

Lol, at Black Clover. Definition of paint by numbers.

Love HxH, but MHA should probably be #2.

Dai no Daibouken is probably the most by the numbers shonen I've ever seen (though I have yet to seriously look at its spiritual sequel - Beet the Vandel Buster). DnD is actually pretty cool because of it.

Black Clover's existence, unoriginality, and at times, blatant ripping off seems a lot more cynical.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Dai no Daibouken is probably the most by the numbers shonen I've ever seen (though I have yet to seriously look at its spiritual sequel - Beet the Vandel Buster). DnD is actually pretty cool because of it.

Black Clover's existence, unoriginality, and at times, blatant ripping off seems a lot more cynical.

The funniest thing about it is the recent blatant disregard for the readership. Plobbing in LN characters that haven't been properly established in the manga, basing the story around that and constantly referrencing said LN. It's like one big advertiement.

Can't wait for the author to referrencing author influnced anime filler.

FStubbs

The funniest thing about it is the recent blatant disregard for the readership. Plobbing in LN that haven't been properly established in the manga, basing the story around that and constantly referrencing said LN. It's like one big advertiement.

Can't wait for the author to referrencing author influnced anime filler.

There's a light novel for Black Clover? How's that even possible?

Pretty Sure One Piece is the face of anime world wide currently. There was a ranking (combining tv viewer streaming online conversations etc) that put it at the 13th or something biggest tv show at the moment worldwide, Naruto was a few places behind it.

Current sales sure, Naruto's media projects ended in 2015, the manga ended in 2014 and the anime ended October 2016 (canon part).

You only have to glance at Naruto's over seas volume sales (All time greatest in US, surpassing DBZ, is predicted to become all time greatest in France and surpass DBZ this year), video game sales (UNS, Chinese mobile game was ranking top 5 consistently) and movie performance over seas to see how Naruto's popularity far surpasses One Piece. Not to say OP is not incredibly popular, it is, but Naruto can be pretty much summarised as "this generations DBZ" in its peak years.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Current sales sure, Naruto's media projects ended in 2015, the manga ended in 2014 and the anime ended October 2016 (canon part).

You only have to glance at Naruto's over seas volume sales (All time greatest in US, surpassing DBZ, is predicted to become all time greatest in France and surpass DBZ this year), video game sales (UNS, Chinese mobile game was ranking top 5 consistently) and movie performance over seas to see how Naruto's popularity far surpasses One Piece. Not to say OP is not incredibly popular, it is, but Naruto can be pretty much summarised as "this generations DBZ" in its peak years.

Eh the Naruto anime has been ongoing way beyond that. Even now we're on the run up to Boruto.

There's a light novel for Black Clover? How's that even possible?

Written by the author the he assumes you read as manga continues after it's end without fully explaining what the hell went on beyond the most basic of plot outlines.

bjork

It's a shame really being so character driven the story could work with pretty much any combat sport and Sumo is pretty much the least attractive.

The closest parallel I can think of it Rookies, but outside of sports, you'd probably have to look to something with gangs like Crows. All fine stories, though.

Eh the Naruto anime has been ongoing way beyond that. Even now we're on the run up to Boruto.

You don't honestly think the majority of the Naruto fanbase stuck for fillers and a sequel without Kishi do you?
Boruto the movie was the conclusion. I'm sure a part will stick for these projects but until Kishi returns I doubt you will see anything like Naruto's popularity for Boruto.

FStubbs

Boruto is such a mistake. From Kishimoto forgetting to give him Byakugan. Sarada and Himawari are much more interesting characters if you want to keep the zombie franchise going. Boruto is Naruto who doesn't want to be Hokage. We've seen this story already.

blakep267

Nah, even though naruto has ended its probably the second most notable franchise behind DBZ. And DBZ is still the face of anime worldwide. One piece is huge in Japan and still popular worldwide but it never caught on like DBZ or naruto. And especially since Super has come out, regardless of how shitty it is its invigorated DBz again.

doop_

Banned
People keep saying My Hero Academia is gonna blow up, never seems to happen though. Which is a big a shame because it is a terrific manga.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You don't honestly think the majority of the Naruto fanbase stuck for fillers and a sequel without Kishi do you?
Boruto the movie was the conclusion. I'm sure a part will stick for these projects but until Kishi returns I doubt you will see anything like Naruto's popularity for Boruto.

The movie was far from the conclusion. The reaching the end of the manga content wise was, which is the final Sasuke vs naruto final and the epilogue.

blakep267

People keep saying My Hero Academia is gonna blow up, never seems to happen though. Which is a big a shame because it is a terrific manga.
Yeah. I feel like if it was gonna blow it would've done it already as naruto was winding down. But that didn't happen

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nah, even though naruto has ended its probably the second most notable franchise behind DBZ. And DBZ is still the face of anime worldwide. One piece is huge in Japan and still popular worldwide but it never caught on like DBZ or naruto. And especially since Super has come out, regardless of how shitty it is its invigorated DBz again.

Operative word is currently and Super isn't anywhere close to DBZ or Naruto's popularity at their peak or any notable time really.

Yeah, the anime has come and gone and the boost it got was hardly significant. I remember back in the day people thought this would become the next Naruto. It won't even become the next Bleach.

Boruto is such a mistake. From Kishimoto forgetting to give him Byakugan. Sarada and Himawari are much more interesting characters if you want to keep the zombie franchise going. Boruto is Naruto who doesn't want to be Hokage. We've seen this story already.

True but the money is good. Boruto sales have declined 60-70% from Naruto and yet its already at a 2 million LTD WW.

The movie was far from the conclusion. The reaching the end of the manga content wise was, which is the final Sasuke vs naruto final and the epilogue.

But then Kishi came back with a new era volume and plot for Boruto the movie. That was Kishi's conclusion.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, the anime has come and gone and the boost it got was hardly significant. I remember back in the day people thought this would become the next Naruto. It won't even become the next Bleach.

True but the money is good. Boruto sales have declined 60-70% from Naruto and yet its already at a 2 million LTD WW.

But then Kishi came back with a new era volume and plot for Boruto the movie. That was Kishi's conclusion.
We're (or at least I was) talking about the anime. That's why I brought up TV stats. World wide not including Japan Naruto blows One Piece anyway manga sales wise, the thing is those sales are comparitively miniscule which is why One Piece has always blown Naruto away in total world wide sales.

The closest parallel I can think of it Rookies, but outside of sports, you'd probably have to look to something with gangs like Crows. All fine stories, though.

The nicest thing about it is that almost all side characters are given fully fleshed out character arcs almost to the point they'd work as MC in separate manga's. In the main anatagonists are litterally just mature mature shounen protagnosists that were a bit luckier those were more successful.

Majukun

surprised by the lack of onepiece,

there's HxH too,so it was not limited to new series

well it's ot like the boost has to happen immediately or never happen again...onepiece had its bigger booster way later

Permanently A

I gave Haikyuu a shot and really am enjoying it thus far. Great characterization except for the female manager who seem to be pretty strictly eye candy. It's weird how all the male characters are ridiculously fleshed out and she remains a non character. My favorite part is that right at the point where the formula is kinda getting stale the author flips the script. Looking forwards to season 3.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I gave Haikyuu a shot and really am enjoying it thus far. Great characterization except for the female manager who seem to be pretty strictly eye candy. It's weird how all the male characters are ridiculously fleshed out and she remains a non character. My favorite part is that right at the point where the formula is kinda getting stale the author flips the script. Looking forwards to season 3.

Season 3 is out already.

Also, I agree with you about the manager. I don't think the author intends to do anything with her as he introduced a replacement that has more actual character and potential for growth.

blakep267

Season 3 is out already.

Also, I agree with you about the manager. I don't think the author intends to do anything with her as he introduced a replacement that has more actual character and potential for growth.
This is my biggest knock against haikyuu. It's grey at what it does, providing compelling sports action and heart. But it's lacking in the smaller world building and characterization outside of the court and side characters. But I suppose that's on me for expecting more. As I've been watching a few other sports series lately and they are all similar in that they don't focus on the outside

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is my biggest knock against haikyuu. It's grey at what it does, providing compelling sports action and heart. But it's lacking in the smaller world building and characterization outside of the court and side characters. But I suppose that's on me for expecting more. As I've been watching a few other sports series lately and they are all similar in that they don't focus on the outside

Most don't bother and I can understand why. These aren't slice of life stories most of the plot is tied to the matches themselves as well as the prepartion for these matches, not really them preparing for a test of how they spend their time outside of sports. The only thing they usually bother to include is romance if it's there.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Most don't bother and I can understand why. These aren't slice of life stories most of the plot is tied to the matches themselves as well as the prepartion for these matches, not really them preparing for a test of how they spend their time outside of sports. The only thing they usually bother to include is romance if it's there.

Understandable, but I think that it could add a bit to a sports anime (especially if it's long-running, at least to spice things up when they get repetitive).

In real life, real-life gets in the way of things like competition all the time. Romance, priority, family, injury-- having a subplot deal with a player having to balance one of those with their play could be interesting (but perhaps not entirely fitting of a shounen series, especially when the moral always seems to be to give it your all 100% of the time).

The only other thing that could be gained (that I can think of) is giving small motivation to sideline characters like that manager-- simply because it's also a role in sports and can "pad out" slower arcs like training, but I think Haikyuu successfully did that with the second manager.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Understandable, but I think that it could add a bit to a sports anime (especially if it's long-running, at least to spice things up when they get repetitive).

In real life, real-life gets in the way of things like competition all the time. Romance, priority, family, injury-- having a subplot deal with a player having to balance one of those with their play could be interesting (but perhaps not entirely fitting of a shounen series, especially when the moral always seems to be to give it your all 100% of the time).

The only other thing that could be gained (that I can think of) is giving small motivation to sideline characters like that manager-- simply because it's also a role in sports and can "pad out" slower arcs like training, but I think Haikyuu successfully did that with the second manager.

True though tbf most popular sports manga run far shorter than thier battle shounen contemperaries outside of rare notable exceptions (e.g IPPO etc), which is why they often don't run into that problem because they finish before then. Generally they stop after winning the highschool national competition, rarely do they go into the world or even just pro league. Thus it's a bit less of a concern for a lot of them.

Honestly it's one of the benefits of the genre if they were battle shounens with the same popularity they'd be expected to milk that shit to till the end of time by WSJ. Or ressurected from the dead.

smurfx

get some go again
im happy hxh got 2 because that means it's still very popular in japan. i've always been afraid of them finally pulling the plug on it.

im happy hxh got 2 because that means it's still very popular in japan. i've always been afraid of them finally pulling the plug on it.

Hunter x Hunter sells better than any manga not named One Piece or Attack on Titan. There's no chance of it ever being canceled.

Togashi can get away with his schedule because the manga is so massive that it will sell no matter what once it comes out.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
True though tbf most popular sports manga run far shorter than thier battle shounen contemperaries outside of rare notable exceptions (e.g IPPO etc), which is why they often don't run into that problem because they finish before then. Generally they stop after winning the highschool national competition, rarely do they go into the world or even just pro league. Thus it's a bit less of a concern for a lot of them.

Honestly it's one of the benefits of the genre if they were battle shounens with the same popularity they'd be expected to milk that shit to till the end of time by WSJ. Or ressurected from the dead.

True, though I would enjoy something like Haikyuu going through all three years of highschool (definitely not heading there though), since you can change the dynamics of the team. If you reduce the "major" tournaments to once a year I think that's doable, but it might be frustrating to see the older characters never get the win.
This is much less of a problem with individual (rather than team) sports, and you could introduce more external characters in that since you don't need to flesh out a very large team (and a team for most opponents).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
True, though I would enjoy something like Haikyuu going through all three years of highschool (definitely not heading there though), since you can change the dynamics of the team. If you reduce the "major" tournaments to once a year I think that's doable, but it might be frustrating to see the older characters never get the win.
This is much less of a problem with individual (rather than team) sports, and you could introduce more external characters in that since you don't need to flesh out a very large team (and a team for most opponents).

That's true hey afford to for example go through those 3 years, I think that a large reason why mot of the longer sports manga's tend not to be team ones. Funnily enough Hinomaru Zumou basically combines the two and they feed off each other. Theirs team matches (which are a group of indivdual matches) and separate indivual tournaments. There's also things like inside team battles and team performance allowing indivdual member progression to other tournaments. It's one of the main strengths of the manga they all have their separate goals go through their separate fights but works towards a unified goal. It's the matches from being a bit stale as individual characters can have shocking losses and wins and team itself can have shocking losses and wins a character doesn't need to always win for story to progress without a major setback.

ZoddGutts

Reason why I enjoy reading Adachi Mitsuru manga works, he does all of that without even sweating.

surprised by the lack of onepiece,

there's HxH too,so it was not limited to new series

well it's ot like the boost has to happen immediately or never happen again...onepiece had its bigger booster way later

Extremely unlikely. OP was already number 1, competing with Naruto volume sales before it got its major boost to put it on a cultural phenomenon level.

MHA's best bet was probably 2015, just after Naruto had ended.

We're (or at least I was) talking about the anime. That's why I brought up TV stats. World wide not including Japan Naruto blows One Piece anyway manga sales wise, the thing is those sales are comparitively miniscule which is why One Piece has always blown Naruto away in total world wide sales.

The nicest thing about it is that almost all side characters are given fully fleshed out character arcs almost to the point they'd work as MC in separate manga's. In the main anatagonists are litterally just mature mature shounen protagnosists that were a bit luckier those were more successful.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how they calculated tv ratings globally and wouldn't be surprised if the majority were from Japan. Only other places I know Naruto Shippuuden airs is in Asia and Indonesia. Really unusual Pokemon was not included iirc.

Hunter x Hunter sells better than any manga not named One Piece or Attack on Titan. There's no chance of it ever being canceled.

Togashi can get away with his schedule because the manga is so massive that it will sell no matter what once it comes out.

Looking at recent volume sales range is 850-1.3 million while Naruto was around 950-1.3 million

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Extremely unlikely. OP was already number 1, competing with Naruto volume sales before it got its major boost to put it on a cultural phenomenon level.

MHA's best bet was probably 2015, just after Naruto had ended.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how they calculated tv ratings globally and wouldn't be surprised if the majority were from Japan. Only other places I know Naruto Shippuuden airs is in Asia and Indonesia. Really unusual Pokemon was not included iirc.

Well this is the list I'm talking about so we're on the same page http://uk.businessinsider.com/most-...with-17-million-demand-expressions-per-day-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom