• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best recent shonen action manga

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChaos0

First season of the Anime was trash, lousy main character with some of the worst attempts at censoring I've ever seen.

How does a show like HxH have more gruesome, explicit gore than a show about cannibals?

Manga quite a bit better than the Anime, I was surprised by it when I read it post the anime. Seems like Pierot wanted to turn it into an actual shounen or something. Pacing and shuffling or outright changing some events for no reason also didn't help.

I read a few chapters of Fire Punch and Tokyo Ghoul, what the heck is this, haha. I think I'm ultimately into the more light-hearted stuff. Action-packed super-violence, sure, but no gore for me.

Fire Punch particularly was on some...

l2sJi.jpg

...type shit.

kewlmyc

I would recommend Magi but the arc after the time skip has been all over the place. It was good until it hit that point though.

The action is very light however. Focuses more on world building and politics, but it's still a shounen.

Fbh

Probably one punch man. Fun characters, cool fights and amazing art, almost all you need from a shonen manga.
Though this last story arc has been rather terrible. The chapters are short and not released that frequently. It's not the type of manga where you should have 3 simultaneous storylines fousing on like 6 different characters. Each of the current storylines would be fun on their own, but the author is trying to tell them all together and for it to work he would need to make longer chapters or release them weekly.

My Hero Academia is also fun but probably the most overhyped thing to come out of jump in quite some time. It's fun, sure, and the art is solid. But I'm not seeing it doing anything special. It's a standard shonen with a good willed main character, a highschool setting, a rival, several "competition" / tournament story arcs, etc.
It's well done and fun to read, but I'm up to date with it and not once have a finished a chapter feeling like I can't wait to read the next one.

RangerBAD

Is Fire Punch considered Shounen?

With all the crazy shits, cannibalism, decapitation, rape, etc etc, a Shounen?

Meh, the lead guy is such a sexual assaulter and the fact that the lead lady outright said "You can grope me anytime you want!" (Japan, ladies and gentlemen, lol) soured me on the series, to be honest. At least whenever those two characters appear.

It might be debatable, but it runs in Shounen Jump+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom