• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Readers Vote For The Next "Poster Manga" for Shonen Jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

Banned
People keep saying My Hero Academia is gonna blow up, never seems to happen though. Which is a big a shame because it is a terrific manga.

It's too good for its own good. I have a feeling it'll end up being a series that will end up resonating with Western audiences more than Japanese ones at the end of the day

NeonZ

People keep saying My Hero Academia is gonna blow up, never seems to happen though. Which is a big a shame because it is a terrific manga.

Its real chance was the anime. Considering how it didn't happen there, I guess we're already pretty much looking at its peak.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Its real chance was the anime. Considering how it didn't happen there, I guess we're already pretty much looking at its peak.

Still pretty surprising how much more popular Haikyuu is than it, inspite of the significantly larger push MHA had. It'll probably end up like Toriko a moderately successful manga though doesn't really compare to the big 3 at their peak.

Assclass was the golden goose but it an inbuilt expiry date (which was obviously better for the manga's legacy)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Haikyuu's anime is really well done from what I see.

Yeah I know. Its not viewers. Some algorithm combining various factors. I wouldn't put too much into it. Even then its 1.9 million for OP and 1.8 million for Naruto (whose anime has long went past its peak).

Fairly certain One Piece would have more per episode viewers than Naruto does anyway. Naruto's anime peak was definitely last year though that's when it had the hour Naruto vs Sasuke special and One Piece had jack shit importance wise outside of Gear 4. The movies and manga are entire different ball games.

Fairly certain One Piece would have more per episode viewers than Naruto does anyway. Naruto's anime peak was definitely last year though that's when it had the hour Naruto vs Sasuke special and One Piece had jack shit importance wise outside of Gear 4. The movies and manga are entire different ball games.

You haven't been paying attention to Japanese ratings. Much of the fanbase abandoned the anime due to fillers. Ratings for final fight were <2.5 despite heavy advertising.
Ratings for episodes in 2014 were 3-4 even fillers lol.

In Japan, without a doubt OP gets much more, but this was meant to be a global metric right?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You haven't been paying attention to Japanese ratings. Much of the fanbase abandoned the anime due to fillers. Ratings for final fight were <2.5 despite heavy advertising.
Ratings for episodes in 2014 were 3-4 even fillers lol.

In Japan, without a doubt OP gets much more, but this was meant to be a global metric right?

Yeah which is why it's substantial weekly strength in Japan edges out it's weakness around the worldwide. It's not like One Piece has some neglible worldwide viewership and this includes illegal streaming as well as ratings data in at least US and Japan and likely much more.

In Japan even in 2015 the peak, One Piece doubled Naruto's gross income.

Yeah which is why it's substantial weekly strength in Japan edges out it's weakness around the worldwide. It's not like One Piece has some neglible worldwide viewership and this includes illegal streaming as well as ratings data in at least US and Japan and likely much more.

In Japan even in 2015 the peak, One Piece doubled Naruto's gross income.

That would be wrong unless its excluding other mediums or overseas sales. 2015 Naruto had a movie that made $50 million+, UNS4 which shipped 2 million (50-80 million revenue), a mobile game that was top 5 in China, and releases of the final volume and Gaiden overseas.

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2016/06...nchise-for-tv-tokyo-april-2015-to-march-2016/

Naruto was number 1 in sales for Tv Tokyo from 2015-2016, beating Yokai Watch and Pokemon.

OP viewership ww would be significantly lower than Naruto's most likely.

Permanently A

Guys, Haikyuu is fuckin incredible. I don't even like sports. This sums up my thoughts perfectly.

L9y6I6N.png

Lagamorph

I never tried a sports anime before Haikyu, but I am totally a fan of the genre now.

I tried Eyeshield 21 or something a few years ago, some kid who had some weird power where he could see the future or predict what other people were going to do or something while they were playing hand egg/wuss rugby, but never really got into it.

Permanently A

I tried Eyeshield 21 or something a few years ago, some kid who had some weird power where he could see the future or predict what other people were going to do or something while they were playing hand egg/wuss rugby, but never really got into it.

I don't know about that, but Haikyuu is a lot more grounded, no super powers or anything. The main character is short but he can jump really high. That's about it. The nice part about Haikyuu is that the focus isn't really on volleyball as much as it is about the characters. It never felt like one of those psychological animes that busts out flowcharts and hypotheticals to describe a game. The action is pure and the characters are human.

mdubs

Banned
Good sports anime reaches a high unlike any other.

Tell me you weren't mesmerized during the final point of Haikyu's most recent episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom