• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese gamers opinions about the Catherine: Full Body controversy in the west.

So i was wondering since the beginning of this, what Japanese gamers think about this since they already have the game and the controversy is about a Japanese game. i started looking for Japanese websites that may have talked about this and finally found an article about this controversy on a Japanese website and the comments are hilarious.

http://yurukuyaru.com/archives/79065951.html

I translated some of the comments here.

• >下半身は男性を目の当たりにした主人公は恐怖の表情を浮かべます

ノンケが男のアソコを間近で見たら誰でも嫌悪感抱くわ
    女が好きでもない男のアソコを近づけられて嫌悪感抱くのと同じじゃね
    じゃあどういう反応すりゃあいいんだよ
    いや・・臭いものに蓋をしなかったから批判されてるのか

• > The hero who witnessed a man feels the expression of terror If the nonsense looks at the man's dickcoil closely looks at the man's dick's coat everyone hates disgusting Anyone who does not like a woman is the same as hunting a man's dick near him Well
    then, what kind of reaction will you have?
    No ... I have been criticized because I did not cover the smells

• アトラスが「買わずに遊ばない奴らが随分とまあでかい口を叩くこと」とでも言い返せばいいと思う。

• I think that Atlas should say, "They do not buy and they do not play, but they hit the huge mouth quite a bit."

• reseteraはポリコレフェミカスSJWの巣だと知らない日本人大杉・・・

• Japanese is a Japanese cedar who does not know that resetera is Poly college femycus SJW's nest ...

• ゲームと現実の区別がつかない異常者達

• Abnormal people who can not distinguish between games and reality

• 全く理解できない。アトラスは一切の反応をしてはならない。屈するな。

• I can not understand it at all. Atlas should not react at all. Do not give in.

• こいつら極端過ぎるんだよ

• These guys are too extreme

• 気に入らないからといってストーリーや設定を変更させようと炎上させるのはおかしい。
    まるでスティーブンキングのミザリーじゃないか。
    気に入らないならプレイしない権利を行使しろよ。

• Just because you do not like it is funny to make a story or settings change.
    It's almost like Steven King's Misery.
    Exercise the right not to play if you do not like it.

• だから外国に物を売るなって言ってんだよ

• So I told you not to sell things to foreign countries

Damn they are angry this time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't fucking blame them, this might scare Atlus from ever localizing any game similar to Catherine. I hope I'm wrong

PSlayer

The Japanese market doesn't care about social justice topics and weebs who play this types of games usually don't care too. It's a very vocal minority of people with ties with the gamming media that cares about this enough to make a fuss out of it.

Japan is best country. I love their freedom of expression. I will buy Catherine with a smile on my face and even seek out that alternate ending and enjoy every second of it.

QqEra eat your hearts out.

Isa

There are some choice gems in there. My favorite being the Abnormal line, its perfect, but I thought these were little pearls of wisdom for a seemingly free society.

"These guys are too extreme" and "Exercise the right not to play if you do not like it." I'm partially fond of the latter. Ah well back to muh games.

The first three translations are iffy because machine translation, but the rest make sense. Some of the quotes hit the nail in the head, especially the Misery reference.

Vawn

Banned
I shudder at the thought of foreign countries thinking the yahoos at ResetERA represent the people in North America.

Fbh

Reminds me of that Ariana Grande tattoo "controversy" from not so long ago which had some people in the west up in arms about "cultural appropriation" and the usual stuff.... and japan was like "we think it's cool".

The Shepard

"these guys are to extreme"

I agree with alot of these, they'll never be happy, don't give in to them. Far to sensitive. The Japanese are on point.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
  • ゲームと現実の区別がつかない異常者達
  • Abnormal people who can not distinguish between games and reality

This pretty much sums it up completely.

Kamina

Golden Boy
TIL "alien genitalia" is now part of the LBGTQ+ umbrella.
I thought he was only acting shocked when seeing Rin naked because thats kinda what they often depict Anime guys to act like in such a situation, not because he saw something abnormal.

Ivellios

Unfortunately western gaming culture is absolute shit these days.

Pretty much, this is sucking the fun out of some games, making everything far too political.

And these people from Era that complain about every single thing they can about games or their developers is really getting tiresome...

thelastword

Banned
Let people enjoy what they want to in the privacy of their own homes as long as it does not affect innocents or sets a bad precedent...

K1Expwy

That answers my question about Japan's awareness of the "Femycus Poly College" in the West, even if it's just a sampling of opinions on a blog.
It means "politically correct feminist scum"

To me it feels extremely dumb, even unrespectful ,when self-entitled people judge others from different cultures or countries by their own narrow-minded view of the world. Japan has a society totally different from western societies. You don't have to like it. It's legit you don't. But whining because the rest of the world doesnt give a shit about your political or ideological views is sad and pathetic.

petran79

Banned
Pretty much, this is sucking the fun out of some games, making everything far too political.

And these people from Era that complain about every single thing they can about games or their developers is really getting tiresome...

What is worse, they do not even have a sense of humor.
Men's jokes about women are taboo nowadays even among men....

appaws

Banned
Wow, the groupthink over there is remarkable. I didn’t see any bans...everyone just agrees. I was going to preorder PQ2 anyway, I’ll have to add this as well.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I always find it remarkable that the most racist, intolerant/bigoted and hateful people are those that shout at the world that they fight racism, bigotry, that all cultures are equal, that we can't judge people from other countries by our own standards and that West is the worst. I would LOVE to see a game which these people would agree is actually representative of their world-view, if such a thing even exists because to me it sounds like a round square.

angelic

Banned
I love that supposed hardcore game forum resetera (that we all know is the sjw nest) that purpotes to love all these Japanese games...acting like they are such elites for seeking out and playing these hardcore japanese games...are disliked by the Japanese, yet arent aware of it. To be fair, era people aren't aware of very much at all, that's what makes them so unbearable, but I find this one particularly delicious.

It reminds me of about 25 years ago when I first got a PC at home with 56k modem and went online. I met someone who called himself otaku, he had it as his ICQ handle (remember that?), all over his PC desktop wallpaper, even in picture frames on his wall. He prided himself on it, on being such a nerd obsessed with Japanese culture. It was only a few years later that I found out the term otaku wasnt actually all that much of a compliment, basically meaning someone who takes the hobby too far, to the detriment of their social skills and behaviour.

angelic

Banned
I always find it remarkable that the most racist, intolerant/bigoted and hateful people are those that shout at the world that they fight racism, bigotry, that all cultures are equal, that we can't judge people from other countries by our own standards and that West is the worst.

Just to borrow your post to make a point, it's really common that supposed tolerant people are actually super bigoted. It's hard to describe, but something along the lines of when you get these super progressive types, I find they're usually battling some inner demons, and therefore externally extreme virtue signalling to compensate for what's going on inside. A balanced person will think "ah yes, LGBT people, I have no problem with them, they are not part of my world but I am happy for them to co exist." Whereas your era type thinks "LGBT must be represented in every single area of life, we must have them at football games, in the military, rainbow flags at the most heterosexual of events..we must ram this idelogy down everyones throats". Quelle surprise, people don't like that.

It's also funny how you commonly see some of the most anti gay people in the world come out themselves at age 30 or so, because they've been fighting this internal battle for years, and their extreme outer disgust at gays is actually directed at themselves, for not accepting who they are.

Or in short, yeah, the most externally tolerant are usually the most bigoted.

Shmunter

Reminds me of that Ariana Grande tattoo "controversy" from not so long ago which had some people in the west up in arms about "cultural appropriation" and the usual stuff.... and japan was like "we think it's cool".

Yes, that one is for the history books. “Cultural Appropriation”, because some people may think that Ariana Grande invented Japanese or something. Makes me sad for the human race.

Top Bottom