• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Evolution (FPS Team Shooter) Launches 2022 for Win10

YukiOnna

■タイトル名:GUNDAM EVOLUTION
■プラットフォーム:Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit 日本語版)
■ジャンル:ガンダムチームシューター
■正式サービス開始:2022年予定
■利用料金:基本プレイ無料+アイテム課金
It's F2P w/ item charges and service launches 2022

Looks like has closed beta test:

EDIT:
Service will launch worldwide in 2022:
本作は、基本プレイ無料で、2022 年に世界複数地域でサービスを予定しており、世界中のプレイヤーが楽めるよう開発を進めております
The game will be free-to-play and will be available in multiple regions around the world in 2022

Last edited:

royox

Looks like an "Overwatch meets Gundam". Biggest problem being the wierd japanese necessity to have the most horrible and full of useless stuff UI's of the planet.
F2P kills any expectations for me.

YukiOnna

Bamco's PR confirms the Game will launch service Worldwide in 2022. The current closed beta is Japan only.
本作は、基本プレイ無料で、2022 年に世界複数地域でサービスを予定しており、世界中のプレイヤーが楽めるよう開発を進めております
The game will be free-to-play and will be available in multiple regions around the world in 2022

More details in english here:

There will also be a live stream about the game in 2 days

I'm a massive Gundam fan, I've been built and painted just about every MG kit they've released since 1995 and have watched/read every manga and anime/OVA they've released multiple times. I have absolutely no interest in this though, as it looks like every other Gundam game released in the last two decades. Just another mash-up arena combat game mixing all the series together which won't even attempt to be faithful to the source material. Can't wait to hop into a Zaku I and beat the ν Gundam or maybe the ∀ Gundam in a fight :messenger_unamused:

Maybe I'm just jaded but this looks pretty low-effort to me. I get they want to cash-in on the arena shooter thing, but there is so much potential in the series to make good mecha games. There have been several over the years and recently Titanfall 2 (which does mecha cockpits right) showed how good a game can be that does both on-foot and mecha together. Considering how often the pilots leave their suits in the various series to fight on-foot, gameplay like that seen in Titanfall would be a perfect fit for Gundam.

near

Gold Member
Marketing through shaka and spygea is a great way to generate interest if this will become a well supported esport game. It certainly looks fun to watch.

I like gundam and all but this looks silly to me. The first person view makes it look like these are people sized gundams, there’s no hint of a cockpit. Gundam is many things but I always leaned towards the stuff that is grounded in reality and not pure action.

Bring back side story 0079, in that game the gundams had heft, or better yet make an 08th MS team game. Me and my mechwarrior pals would play that shit.

YukiOnna

2 hour live stream happened earlier today with proper gameplay and it looks a lot of fun. Definitely similar to Overwatch.

Some more mobile suits like ∀ Gundam were introduced. Similar to heroes.

Last edited:

manfestival

My body is ready. Count me in boys. We in this

Even more hype that this is all UC instead of a different storyline just like how GBO2 is. Even better!

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Famitsu had an interview with the Producer and Battle Director
https:///www.famitsu.com/news/202107/16227274.html

The Summary:
- With the 40th Anniversary and increase of North American and European fans, they want a Gundam game to have wider appeal
- Recruited staff that are active in the competitive scene
- Weren't interested in Battle Royale game with 52 vs 52 Gundam Online already available
- Used various titles as an influence, including Overwatch and Battle Royale
- No plans for an original story/setting like Overwatch, SFV, or Valorant. They want those new to Gundam to watch the anime.
- They tried to make the size of the Mobile Suits and Mobile armor faithful to the original. For example, Gundam is 18m and Sazabi is 23m
- Aiming for speedy and immersive team battles
- Will have lot of vertical movement. Each "character" will operate different from each other
- Able to adjust your position based on a limited transformation (i.e. Asshimar)
- Mobile Suits and Armor are chosen based on weapons and their characteristics. They aren't just aiming for the popular ones.
- Closed Beta will have 12
- Aim is for players to be able to use any Mobile Suit/Armor they want and not fall into "I can't win without this one"
- Wide variety of G-Maneuver Skills (Ultimate) exist: Wide range damage, one-on-one specialty, increase movement speed of allies, etc.
- Cannot pick same Mobile Suit as someone else on same team
- Barbatos has no long-ranged attacks so adjustments have been difficult
- 3 Modes: Point Capture, Domination, and Destruction
- No Plans for Team Deathmatch at the moment
- Will have Casual and Ranked division.

Lot of other details in the interview and feel free to correct anything I missed. Hopefully we get direct translation.
Also an interview with 4gamer: https://www.4gamer.net/games/584/G058445/20210714052/

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

"Suit up and take control of the battlefield in the world's first free-to-play Mobile Suit FPS, GUNDAM EVOLUTION is coming to PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC via Steam in 2022. Select from a wide range of Mobile Suits from across the Gundam multiverse, each with their own unique attack and support skills. Employ your best strategies and lead your team to victory in high intensity objective based combat. Featuring music by Steve Aoki, check out the Western Announcement trailer featured at PlayStation State of Play!

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Network Test registration is up on the Steam Page!

100GB holy FUK
unknown.png

Other than that, trailer looked great.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Network Test registration is up on the Steam Page!

100GB holy FUK
unknown.png

Other than that, trailer looked great.

Quick link for anyone interested.

I am interested, after the failure of Overwatch I am sure this will struggle, but who knows it might stand a chance if people don't get so bogged down in "meta" and it's kept casual and balanced around that. Overwatch failed because of its constant pro scene balance that made the game more and more stale every patch, which might be fantastic for the 2% of competitive players, but kills the game for everyone else.

It's GaaS of course so there's a problem, but if it's closer to Apex monetisation and not say... Halo Infinite, it could be solid.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

The classic universal century Gundam had some of the most amazing storytelling and characters (such as Char, Haman), its a shame they don't utilize the source material to its fullest extent. Imaging a Zeta Gundam game with the treatment of an AAA title, where you could explore different colony and your mothership like an well crafted open world game with seamless narrative of the original anime in a real time manner.

I just had my fatigue over countless Namco Bandai types of Arena fighter/shooter games

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I would love to see one day we could have this level of epic battle shown in the anime, but with actual game play.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

New trailer showing gameplay for the final two suits launching with the network Test on the 7th of April. Seem intresting although the overwatch comparison is pretty obvious with Exia essentially being Genji.

However considering this is not trying to pretend to be an esport it has the potential to be fun for casuals, giving it a shot either way.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Playtest is available to preload...a week early :messenger_grinning_sweat:

11.13 GB download on PC.

I didn't get in, they will apparently hold more lottery batches until they release the network test in the 7th.

Get to level 20 on the battle pass during the test and get a reward skin

gift02.jpg

Looks lame...

Honestly if they wanted a "test" type look they should have gone for a Zaku I thunderbolt skin for the Zaku II

Zaku_I_Thunderbolt-ova.png

- Weren't interested in Battle Royale game with 52 vs 52 Gundam Online already available

They literally just shut this game down yesterday... so I guess battle royale mode coming soon...

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Game has its issues in mobile suit balancing, but yeah it's pretty fun. The VC and Usernames are Gundam memes as you'd expect.

Sazabi and GM Sniper are OP.
Exia is Genji.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah so this is out right now. Playing it right now and having fun. The game is sweaty already lol. Got a few suits that are jiving with me so far.
Sad to hear about it being sweaty, was hoping without the stupid overwatch style esports esports esports chant team the game would have a more casual audience.

Of course this could just be the technical test as I'm guessing only overwatch or Gundam fans would try to get invited...

Still a little sad I didn't get picked, watched a few streamers who have no idea about Gundam or who any of the suits are and I'm like...

sAQ0zTW.jpg
89NBdUn.jpg

Sat on the side lines with no invite :(

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sad to hear about it being sweaty, was hoping without the stupid overwatch style esports esports esports chant team the game would have a more casual audience.

Of course this could just be the technical test as I'm guessing only overwatch or Gundam fans would try to get invited...

Still a little sad I didn't get picked, watched a few streamers who have no idea about Gundam or who any of the suits are and I'm like...

sAQ0zTW.jpg
89NBdUn.jpg

I had to zoom in on the middle book in the first picture to see if I were seeing right lol.

manfestival

sAQ0zTW.jpg
89NBdUn.jpg

Your collection is GLORIOUS! Lots of respect.

Yeah a few things that contribute to the sweatiness. The Network Test has a Battle Pass(seriously...) with 20 levels. The progression is REALLY slow. The ultimate reward is the iconic Char skin. This test is only for 4 days. There is only ranked play. Almost everyone I know from Gundam Extreme Versus Maxiboost On and GBO2 are playing this and trying to get that final tier(they are all super competitive players).

Some thoughts and suggestions from my like 2 hours of play yesterday. Barbatos(dps), Sazabi(tank), and Methuss(support) seem to be required for any team. Jury seems kinda out there for the rest. Pale Rider is strong and great for learning the game. I initially hopped into Zaku 2 but got beepbopped into oblivion. The game is hitscan with Dom being the only projectile based suit(that I know of). Trying some suits out it seems Gundam(rx78), Sazabi, and Marasai are my favorites. Some loose crossovers off my top of my head for the overwatch players: Methuss(mercy), Exia(genji), Marasai(roadhog), Sazabi(maybe a TANKY reaper) and there is more but I can't remember at this second

SIEG ZEON!

YukiOnna

Your collection is GLORIOUS! Lots of respect.

Yeah a few things that contribute to the sweatiness. The Network Test has a Battle Pass(seriously...) with 20 levels. The progression is REALLY slow. The ultimate reward is the iconic Char skin. This test is only for 4 days. There is only ranked play. Almost everyone I know from Gundam Extreme Versus Maxiboost On and GBO2 are playing this and trying to get that final tier(they are all super competitive players).

Some thoughts and suggestions from my like 2 hours of play yesterday. Barbatos(dps), Sazabi(tank), and Methuss(support) seem to be required for any team. Jury seems kinda out there for the rest. Pale Rider is strong and great for learning the game. I initially hopped into Zaku 2 but got beepbopped into oblivion. The game is hitscan with Dom being the only projectile based suit(that I know of). Trying some suits out it seems Gundam(rx78), Sazabi, and Marasai are my favorites. Some loose crossovers off my top of my head for the overwatch players: Methuss(mercy), Exia(genji), Marasai(roadhog), Sazabi(maybe a TANKY reaper) and there is more but I can't remember at this second

SIEG ZEON!
Marasai is really fun, yeah. Sazabi and GM Sniper are essential on some maps or you're screwed.

I actually main Zaku 2 because people seem to underestimate it. Just abusing the HP spots keeps you alive and kicking. Turn A's G Maneuver is pretty useful, too.

manfestival

Marasai is really fun, yeah. Sazabi and GM Sniper are essential on some maps or you're screwed.

I actually main Zaku 2 because people seem to underestimate it. Just abusing the HP spots keeps you alive and kicking. Turn A's G Maneuver is pretty useful, too.
I love Zaku 2. One of my favorite designs in all of Gundam. It just never ends up working out for me in any game where it has unique abilities. Like in Gundam MBON I tried it and ended up going Gold Sumo and Buster Gundam. Both suits that I wasn't even familiar with but they fit my style. I think GBO2 is the only game where I can play Zaku 2 and have fun but it feels weak compared to other more meta suits in that game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here's a full Point Capture match in the Gundam Evolution Console Network Test, using a variety of different Gundam Units.

Gundam Evolution is a 6v6 Multiplayer First-Person Shooter, where you can choose from more than a dozen different Gundam Units from the Gundam franchise's history. Each Unit has unique abilities, weapons, and designs. This Point Capture match goes to overtime before ending in a victory.

//DEVIL//

just shows how much advanced the Western are when it comes to competitive online FPS to the Japanese.

This look like a PS3 game running 60 fps. not even a good-looking PS3 game even.

Not really dissing the Japanese Devs as in general, they have superior art style, and personally, I usually love Japanese games more than Western games (Especially the action RPG or storytelling games in general )

But when it comes to FPS competitive .... yeah they got nothing.

Top Bottom