• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan sales week 51: Total Nintendo domination

gtrwll

Maybe next december they will release some games for it too.

Julia Louis Dreyfus Idk GIF
Wonder what the charts would look like if they had a first-party holiday title to lead the sales.

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo fans as usual playing spreadsheets with sales figures rather than games...

this is the Wii all over again. And tbh, the real modern Wii is the Oculus Quest 2. Nintendo is not getting this kind of love and new audiences anymore:

Weird, when top 30 sellers were consisted of 29 Nintendo Switch games and 1 PS4 game 🤔

And the only game on PS4 that charted is also a buggy game 🦗

Yes niche VR crap is totally the new Wii.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

most are casual minigames just like the Wii as well :messenger_tears_of_joy: the coincidences are amazing, including a focus on more primitive graphics in order to get a more nextgen "experience". There's even a Wii Sports called Sports Scramble - blows my mind that Nintendo fans that used to rave rabidly about these minigames are completely ignoring the ultimate evolution of the concept. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tbh, it's minigames like FNAF, VR Chat or Roblox VR modes that is driving good word of mouth among kids I guess

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Nintendo fans as usual playing spreadsheets with sales figures rather than games...

this is the Wii all over again. And tbh, the real modern Wii is the Oculus Quest 2. Nintendo is not getting this kind of love and new audiences anymore:

Then what are the things people have been playing, buying on all the top charts then? I got more than enough playtime vs most PC/console players especially because of the Switch hybrid nature lol.

Woopah

most are casual minigames just like the Wii as well :messenger_tears_of_joy: the coincidences are amazing, including a focus on more primitive graphics in order to get a more nextgen "experience". There's even a Wii Sports called Sports Scramble - blows my mind that Nintendo fans that used to rave rabidly about these minigames are completely ignoring the ultimate evolution of the concept. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tbh, it's minigames like FNAF, VR Chat or Roblox VR modes that is driving good word of mouth among kids I guess
You can just look at the chart in the OP (or the charts from almost any country) to see this is the not the case. Saying most popular games on Switch are minigames is like saying PlayStation games are "walk-a-thons".

Its blatantly untrue.

You can just look at the chart in the OP (or the charts from almost any country) to see this is the not the case. Saying most popular games on Switch are minigames is like saying PlayStation games are "walk-a-thons".

Its blatantly untrue.

I was actually talking about Oculus Quest 2 library being mostly minigames, but as you yourself notice this applies to Switch too.

Bodomism

Banned
Sometimes I don't understand some of business decisions made by these small developers such as Compile Hearts.

Instead of developing a game for PS4 and Switch with big userbases they decided PS5 is the way to go for their niche game.

And the result is what was everyone and their mothers expected from the start, a massive flop.

maxresdefault.jpg

Shaqazooloo

Sometimes I don't understand some of business decisions made by these small developers such as Compile Hearts.

Instead of developing a game for PS4 and Switch with big userbases they decided PS5 is the way to go for their niche game.

And the result is what was everyone and their mothers expected from the start, a massive flop.

maxresdefault.jpg
Do we know how much it sold?

Haven't seen the top 50 from Dengeki yet.

Fake Edit: I guess the top 50 is no more...

Bodomism

Banned
Do we know how much it sold?

Haven't seen the top 50 from Dengeki yet.

Fake Edit: I guess the top 50 is no more...
Less than 6K and we need to wait for MediaCreate silver book of 2020 to find out as that game would never appear again on any form of sales chart.

I just don't understand, what kind of reason made them decided to go with PS5. The only logical answer for next gen exclusive is NSW and PS4 specs are holding back the graphical evolution of the series.

Then I take a look at the game's graphics ...

1605516364_962_%C2%A1Vamos-%C2%A1Vamos-El-juego-5D-Neptunia-ReVerse-para-PS5-obtiene.jpg

Hudo

maxresdefault.jpg
It doesn't help that this is basically a port of a game that did get a proper remake before.

Woopah

I was actually talking about Oculus Quest 2 library being mostly minigames, but as you yourself notice this applies to Switch too.
Ah I see, when you said "this is the Wii concept all over again" in your post before that I thought you were taking about Switch.

Still, you just made the point I thought you were making originally, so my counter-arguement still stands. Saying the Switch's library is mostly mini games would be like saying the PS4's library is mostly visual novels.

Human: Fall Flat has officially sold over two million copies in China alone.

No Brakes Games released its platform-puzzler on mobile in China just six days ago

The game sold 100,000 units in the first 30 minutes of launch in Chinese Android storefront TapTap

The game reached the five million units milestone in February of last year, bringing its lifetime total to at least over seven million.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-12-23-human-fall-flat-sells-2m-in-china

nordique

pretty much everyone had a wii

Anecdotal, but I don’t know a single person with oculus 1/2

Last edited:

Impotaku

It's been a very long time since there was a momoden game, add in the fact this one is also playable with online players means people are going mad for it.

Bodomism

Banned
Konami must be laughing their ass off after being the only 3rd party publisher that managed to take advantage on Nintendo Switch holiday season during pandemic year.

noshten

Next week Switch is looking like its surpassing 300K while software is looking like it would be close to 1 million just in the Top 10

Momotaro >300K​
New Horizon >150K​
MK8D, Ring Fit, Minecraft >75K​
Smash Ultimate, Pikmin, SMP, Sword / Shield, SM3DA* >50K​

Even without a huge game like Pokemon Sword / Shield selling over 3 million, it seems like Software this Quarter is at worse flat YoY.
Knowing what we do know about 2021, next year we are heading into peak software sales on the Switch, Momotaro & Sakuna are only just signs of things to come.
During it's peak DS was selling absurd amounts of software per year, something we might witness next year on the Switch.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Looks like we aren't going to get Famitsu sales number in this week and needed to wait until 7th January for Week 52 + Week 1 sales chart.

I'm hoping for Gibson to leak this week number.

Ozzie666

Developers need a cheaper development option, A, AA styles games if you will. Switch appears to capturing a hybrid mobile phone and console style environment. This is crucial to it's success. Obviously something big is happening in 2021 for Switch, too many things pointing to March 2021 as some new paradigm for the system. Currently this all feels like Wii 2010, Nintendo holding back and working on whats next. A healthy Japan, is good for gaming overall. Nintendo right now, is saving gaming in Japan.

Rakuten, week 52 (December 21- December 27)

01/01 - [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!
02/07 - [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure
03/03 - [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
04/02 - [NSW] Minecraft
05/18 - [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
06/11 - [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
07/13 - [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
08/04 - [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
09/08 - [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe
10/---- - [PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake (4070 yens)
11/20 - [NSW] Super Mario Party (with joy-con)
12/---- - [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
13/05 - [NSW] Super Mario 3D Collection
14/06 - [NSW] Pokemon Sword
15/---- - [NSW] Medabots Classics Plus (limited edition: 5500 yens)
16/09 - [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
17/19 - [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
18/10 - [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons Hero Edition Switch
19/---- - [NSW] Fit Boxing 2
20/17 - [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020

Hardware

01/01 - NSW (blue/red)
02/03 - NSW (grey)
03/04 - PS4 Black 500 g
04/05 - NSW Lite turquoise
05/08 - NSW Lite grey
06/07 - NSW Lite coral
07/02 - NSW ACNH
08/10 - NSW Lite yellow
09/09 - PS5 (without digital version)
10/---- - PS5 digital version

TSUTAYA, week 52 (December 21- December 27)

gd1mfpi.png

NSW: 19
PS4: 1

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
I thought Momotaro would be popular, but didn't realise it would would be this popular.
considering it was always like a quarter of a million-seller, this is wild, so apparently once one is bored of a boredom simulator you must board the train and get on board with the ultimate train board game simulator.

Bodomism

Banned
Rakuten, week 52 (December 21- December 27)

01/01 - [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!
02/07 - [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure
03/03 - [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
04/02 - [NSW] Minecraft
05/18 - [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
06/11 - [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
07/13 - [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
08/04 - [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
09/08 - [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe
10/---- - [PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake (4070 yens)
11/20 - [NSW] Super Mario Party (with joy-con)
12/---- - [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
13/05 - [NSW] Super Mario 3D Collection
14/06 - [NSW] Pokemon Sword
15/---- - [NSW] Medabots Classics Plus (limited edition: 5500 yens)
16/09 - [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
17/19 - [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
18/10 - [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons Hero Edition Switch
19/---- - [NSW] Fit Boxing 2
20/17 - [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020

Hardware

01/01 - NSW (blue/red)
02/03 - NSW (grey)
03/04 - PS4 Black 500 g
04/05 - NSW Lite turquoise
05/08 - NSW Lite grey
06/07 - NSW Lite coral
07/02 - NSW ACNH
08/10 - NSW Lite yellow
09/09 - PS5 (without digital version)
10/---- - PS5 digital version

TSUTAYA, week 52 (December 21- December 27)

gd1mfpi.png

NSW: 19
PS4: 1
Domination as usual

Kerotan

Developers need a cheaper development option, A, AA styles games if you will. Switch appears to capturing a hybrid mobile phone and console style environment. This is crucial to it's success. Obviously something big is happening in 2021 for Switch, too many things pointing to March 2021 as some new paradigm for the system. Currently this all feels like Wii 2010, Nintendo holding back and working on whats next. A healthy Japan, is good for gaming overall. Nintendo right now, is saving gaming in Japan.
Sony is saving traditional powerful console gaming. But for them and MS we'd still be playing at 240p.

Bodomism

Banned
A and AA games should be the top priority for Japanese video game developers.

noshten

DS Top 20 2006
  1. Pokémon Diamond / Pearl - 4.302.815
  2. New Super Mario Bros - 3.818.214
  3. Brain Age 2 - 3.748.638
  4. Animal Crossing: Wild World - 2.485.264
  5. Brain Age - 1.991.116
  6. English Training - 1.529.618
  7. Mario Kart DS - 1.115.082
  8. Tetris DS - 985.246
  9. Final Fantasy III - 935.390
  10. Common Sense Training - 916.600
  11. Love and Berry - 778.734
  12. Tamagotchi Connection - 713.237
  13. Kirby Squeak Squad - 698.133
  14. Cooking Navi - 691.007
  15. Pokémon Ranger - 643.776
  16. Dragon Quest Monsters - 633.084
  17. Jump! Ultimate Stars - 548.474
  18. Big Brain Academy - 455.557
  19. Nintendogs - 442.223
  20. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - 417.391
TOTAL: 27.849.599
TOTAL HARDWARE: 8.358.730

DS explode into popularity in 2006, selling 8.35 million hardware and about 40 million software.
Next year will be Switch's peak in terms of Software sales, & I think it would also be the peak of hardware.
Overall Switch is following a very different sales curve compared to past Nintendo Systems in Japan:

DS Hardware Sales
  • 2004 - 1.495.593
  • 2005 - 4.151.356
  • 2006 - 8.358.730
  • 2007 - 7.167.372
  • 2008 - 3.946.585
  • 2009 - 4.159.445
  • 2010 - 2.872.621
  • 2011 - 657.815
Switch Hardware Sales
  • 2017 - 3.407.158
  • 2018 - 3.482.388
  • 2019 - 4.493.885
  • 2020 - 6.000.000?

DS exploded very early in it's life-cycle, while Switch Software and hardware IMO will peak next year.
I have a hard time picturing anything toppling 2006 in terms of hardware but in terms of Software, next year will get very close.

New Horizon & Ring Fit will continue to drive hardware demand aided by Monster Hunter Rise which should match Diamond / Pearl. From a 1st and 2nd party perspective we have Bowser's Fury, two Pokemon games(Snap 2 and mainline) & Breath of the Wild 2.

The main advantage over the DS Switch will have next year is the unknown performance of 3rd Party games, after Momotaro it's possible many other franchises blow up or return to glory.

Impotaku

Maybe momotaro will finally convince konami that there's money to be made in consoles again well on switch at least lol. There's a lot of very cool music rhythm arcade games they have released over the last few years i'd totally kill for a home version of sound voltex.

Switch stocks (december 26 to december 28) and PS5 lotteries

Animate Honten (december 27)
EqOJ4q4VQAArBQy

More here:
ComG! Suibara (december 26)
EqJHIpGU8AA8JfQ

December 27
EqNoMANU8AAvQ7x

Kouzou game (december 27)
EqTCyowVoAMXaBF

EqTCypDUwAE3Ngg

ComG! Toyosoka (december 27)
EqPYew6UcAAb_lJ

Wondergoo (december 26)
EqKSMKVVQAMU5C3

PS5 lotteries

Pao game hori
EqIaDvTVoAAfGsB

otakarasouko/fammys etc
EqJWxbEVgAIeXyn

EqTv3AvUcAA_eoO

EqKMzb7VQAAe2zv-1.jpg

EqJoXh0UYAY8jn3

EqUYp2rVgAEruHZ

EqT8dlEVoAAX4LG

EqJselPU8AE_dfP

Bodomism

Banned
Lol that advertisement image caused a huge uproar and meltdown on gaming news section but one user summarize the best of that situation with this statement "This is what happened when there's no competition on the market"

Last edited:

Kerotan

NSW this week sales alone is bigger than PS5 sales in 6 weeks combined which is very brutal.
Brutal stock. But then again it was the biggest console launch of all time. Switch, DS, PS2, PS4 nobody matched the mighty power of the PS5. So Sony were too stretched and couldn't provide anymore to Japan.

They didn't need to however as their main rival has sold 8 times less. It's over already the war has been won. 2 gens in a row Sony have taken back japan!

Top Bottom