• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu sales Week 15 (April 08 - April 14)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Switch is absolutely beasting and ps5 is tanking. Serious declines in Japan.

It's starting to make me wonder if the PS5 will even get to 10x the Xbox Series consoles. If not, it'll be a sad console generation for the PS5 in Japan.

It needs to be AT LEAST 10x.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's starting to make me wonder if the PS5 will even get to 10x the Xbox Series consoles. If not, it'll be a sad console generation for the PS5 in Japan.

I mean, anything less than ps4 is a bad sign.

Xbox is none existant and a complete none starter in Japan.

If ps5 is considerably down from ps4 in the end..it's joever for Sony in Japan, unless they release a switch style console perhaps and even then nintendo will jist dominate with their exclusives.

mckmas8808

What a weird measuring stick! 🤷‍♂️

Not really. It's a way to see how much Sony cares about Playstation in Japan. Right now the PS5 cost too much.

If ps5 is considerably down from ps4 in the end..it's joever for Sony in Japan, unless they release a switch style console perhaps and even then nintendo will jist dominate with their exclusives.

They don't need to beat Nintendo in Japan. They need to stop with wanting max margins in Japan, and switch over to more PS5 console sells in that country. LOWER THE PRICE!!!

Hardensoul

Not really. It's a way to see how much Sony cares about Playstation in Japan. Right now the PS5 cost too much.

They don't need to beat Nintendo in Japan. They need to stop with wanting max margins in Japan, and switch over to more PS5 console sells in that country. LOWER THE PRICE!!!
Why should Sony care about the Xbox. Xbox sales is so irrelevant in Japan. Xbox this gen is irrelevant everywhere and there’s possibility of MS just going software only going forward because of how bad it’s been.

PS5 console looks to still be expensive to manufacture, they even raise prices in some territories. Not sure how they can reduce prices. Software on PS5 is also not selling well Japan. How can they reduce prices to offset the possible losses in console sales. Also the PS5 pro is likely to launch same price or even at higher price liked other previous Pro consoles.

Sony itself seems to have abandoned the Japan market, with practically no in house software dedicating to Japanese Market.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Why should Sony care about the Xbox. Xbox sales is so irrelevant in Japan. Xbox this gen is irrelevant everywhere and there’s possibility of MS just going software only going forward because of how bad it’s been.

PS5 console looks to still be expensive to manufacture, they even raise prices in some territories. Not sure how they can reduce prices. Software on PS5 is also not selling well Japan. How can they reduce prices to offset the possible losses in console sales. Also the PS5 pro is likely to launch same price or even at higher price liked other previous Pro consoles.

Sony itself seems to have abandoned the Japan market, with practically no in house software dedicating to Japanese Market.

They can reduce prices. The CEO just said he's choosing higher profits, over selling more units. This is a choice. They are making money on selling PS5s.

Context is key.

The PS4 launched at 40k yen, the PS4 slim launched at 30k yen.

The PS5 disc launched at 50k yen, the Digital PS5 launched at 40k.

3 years and a half later, the Disc PS5 is 67k yen and the Digital PS5 is 60k yen.

A quick search on google will tell you that wages haven't increased too much in Japan in the last 10-15 years.

BUYING power is the main problem for the PS5 when the entry level switch is portable and it only cost 22k yen.

If it does better than the PS4 it will be a HUGE win at that price, although, software is lower than the ps4.

Hardensoul

They can reduce prices. The CEO just said he's choosing higher profits, over selling more units. This is a choice. They are making money on selling PS5s.
You just answered why they won’t reduce price. You still not explaining why your weird measuring stick of selling xxxx numbers more than Xbox has to do with Sony’s business in Japan. Japanese market where Xbox is irrelevant and never had any impact in Japan historically.

Sony this gen looked like they don’t really care for Japan, internally they don’t have software gear to Japanese market. PS5 even had a delayed release date.

Software is selling worst than PS4. They seem to be content on just cuts from the 3rd party software partners on PS5. PS4 software still selling too.

That’s the other issue PS4 software is still selling. Dual releases aren’t giving those players a reason to upgrade.

Woopah

Sony cares about revenue and profit, not their multiplier vs. Xbox in Japan.
Reducing prices in Japan means losing money on each unit sold. They raised prices in Japan due to the weak yen, and a desire to prioritise profitability over userbase growth.

I'm not fully sure it will pass PS4, but if not it won't miss by much.
Context is key.

The PS4 launched at 40k yen, the PS4 slim launched at 30k yen.

The PS5 disc launched at 50k yen, the Digital PS5 launched at 40k.

3 years and a half later, the Disc PS5 is 67k yen and the Digital PS5 is 60k yen.

A quick search on google will tell you that wages haven't increased too much in Japan in the last 10-15 years.

BUYING power is the main problem for the PS5 when the entry level switch is portable and it only cost 22k yen.

If it does better than the PS4 it will be a HUGE win at that price, although, software is lower than the ps4.
The lower entry price helps, but its also worth pointing out that Lite is a pretty small portion of Switch sales, even in Japan.

The most expensive Switch model that plays games on the TV is by far the most popular model in that country (just like the rest of the world).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Reducing prices in Japan means losing money on each unit sold. They raised prices in Japan due to the weak yen, and a desire to prioritise profitability over userbase growth.

Are we sure if they lowered the price of the PS5 in Japan, they would lose money on each sold? And if so, is it due to the weak yen or the COGs price to make the console? I don't think we truly know the answer.

Woopah

Are we sure if they lowered the price of the PS5 in Japan, they would lose money on each sold? And if so, is it due to the weak yen or the COGs price to make the console? I don't think we truly know the answer.
I think it's pretty telling that the latest price increase applied only to Japan, and was accompanied by price increases for PS5 accessories too ( which were also only for Japan).

That strongly points to the weak yen killing their margins. If it was COG, the price increase would be more widespread, like the previous price increase was.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I think it's pretty telling that the latest price increase applied only to Japan, and was accompanied by price increases for PS5 accessories too ( which were also only for Japan).

That strongly points to the weak yen killing their margins. If it was COG, the price increase would be more widespread, like the previous price increase was.
I didn’t know they raised PS5 prices in Japan. Is USA the only market that didn’t get a price increase?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Ah! Well said. Makes perfect sense now.

Top Bottom