• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan, China, and Poland combine powers for Saint Seiya live action Hollywood film

Ah, the one anime that's infinitely more popular everywhere in the world other than North America. Hollywood is definitely changing.

Ah, the one anime that's infinitely more popular everywhere in the world other than North America. Hollywood is definitely changing.

There is a BIG list of animes that are more popular in most countries of the world except North America, dont forget big popularity only arrived after Dragon Ball Z in the 90's (not counting things like Speed Racer becuase you need to sustain that popularity during various years and different series for anime to be popular as a whole), Europe already had big popular following of a lot of animes MUCH sooner than that without the need of streaming subtitled japanese animes.
If america has always fucked up one foreing thing that was an easy cheap export from Japan, it was anime.

Doraemon is one of the most popular animes ever and north america barely knows about it. Its basically freaking japanese Mickey for gods sake.
Or what about all those anime Japan/european countries collaborations that were huge during the 80's.
And im not talking here only about anime/manga fans making something popular. Im talking here about lots of animes going huge in the common audience type of things for a lot of this countries.
The only european country were it never catched as much was in the UK. Seems english speaking countries were never fans of exporting animes before the 90's.

Nephtis

Will the actors be Japanese?

Most of the cast members are not full blood Japanese if you go by the manga. Mr. Kido got around a lot lol

It'd be interesting to see a half white / half asian actor for Hyoga and a chinese actor for Shiryu. No idea what they'll pick for Shun and Ikki, but we all know Mark Whalberg is gonna be Seiya, and Scarlett Johansson will be Athena.

Oohhhh I wonder who will play Aquila Marin and Serpent Shaina :O

I'll except a purple streak. And that pop punk version of "I Ran" needs to be the main theme song.

Oh no. It needs to have as little resemblance with dragon ball evolution as much as possible. I'd rather either natural or full kigurumi with probably a dude inside.

So... Matt Damon as Seiya? or...
Athena, since he always needs rescue?

I don't know any young asian actor, so get that dude in Power Ranger. Also get Jay Chou in it to play an older role for the Chinese market.

The "sharing same rich Japanese father" bit is very gross, I am pretty sure it was in the manga not in the anime. Anyway they better recon it. Most of the guys should be Greek anyway.

phaze

I seriously hope (since Bagiński is directing) the French OP will appear in the movie as an easter egg. What we got here on Poland was a retranslation of the French dub, so instead of Pegasus Fantasy we had La Chanson Des Chevaliers (with a person _reading_ the translated lyrics over the song. It was an awkward time) every episode.
The Japanese theme song might as well not exist for me.

Good times.

How about finishing The Lost Canvas animation? That was great and they killed it. I refuse to read the manga.

Even in an age of unlikely revivals this isn't going to happen.

yogloo

Matt Damon as Seiya
Scarlett Johansson as Athena
Emma stone as Andromeda Shun.
we need bankable actors

Top Bottom