• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan, China, and Poland combine powers for Saint Seiya live action Hollywood film

duckroll

http://eiga.com/news/20170519/1/

Toei has announced that they are involved in production of a live action Hollywood movie for Saint Seiya, with backing from China's A Really Good Film Company Limited. The director of the film is Poland's Tomek Baginsky, who has been making waves this week as a producer/director for the Netflix Witcher series.

Slaythe

Probably not? Isn't this series set in Europe?

The characters have multiple nationalities.

The heroes are "japanese" because they are orphans and raised there.

Seiya is probably the one japanese dude.

I don't think characters that have blue eyes and fair hair etc... while the story is set in greece should be played by asians anyway.

There can be some asians, of course, if they have the matching origins, but I don't see it as a fundamental. Given how many characters there are, I hope we get a lot of diversity.

rykomatsu

I don't think characters that have blue eyes and fair hair etc... while the story is set in greece should be played by asians anyway.

There can be some asians, of course, if they have the matching origins, but I don't see it as a fundamental. Given how many characters there are, I hope we get a lot of diversity.

Of the main characters:
Seiya, Shun, and Ikki are Japanese.
Hyoga is Russian
Shiryu is Chinese (I think)

The Great Wall tanked, and so did Ghost in the Shell. You'd think they'd get the message, but I doubt it.
The truth is the more geek stuff makes lots of money the more movie execs are gonna mine anime until one of them works. Just like comic book movies it's gonna be a slow and painful process.

wandering

Banned

Well I'm glad that you're so gracious as to allow Asians to be involved with this project ;)

But really, most of them have dark hair and eyes anyway, so...

can't wait to see who will play the stairs.... the most memorable character out of these zillion adaptations....

seriously, i doubt this will turn out good

Accoun

I seriously hope (since Bagiński is directing) the French OP will appear in the movie as an easter egg. What we got here on Poland was a retranslation of the French dub, so instead of Pegasus Fantasy we had La Chanson Des Chevaliers (with a person _reading_ the translated lyrics over the song. It was an awkward time) every episode.
The Japanese theme song might as well not exist for me.

I can give it some nominal hope on the musical score at least, depending, but wow---this is definitely not the news of another anime series or season I'd been hoping for as the next thing to pop up out of nowhere.

Top Bottom