• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iVRy, “Sony has enabled nVidia support on PC in PSVR2”

Minsc

Gold Member
i found a little quest fan club obviously.

There is alot of your facts that are very "opinionated" and not really based in any object reality, some people prefer fresnel some people prefer pancake lens, they both have positives and negatives.

i never said it was the best there is... please do quote me sayin it is THE BEST THERE IS. Im not over selling it plus all your points are silly because i am talking purely PCVR... PCVR... as in plug your VR into your PC... MR and wifi and all those silly things you mention have nothing to do with PCVR. In terms of Using a headset to play Half life alyx for example the PSVR2 will be the better choice if you value image/framerate and FOV. they aren't identical PSVRs FOV is 110 diagonally while quest 3s is horizontallly and i don't know about 120hz now but when it released the quest 3 was in an experimental state and that is why they essentially said 90 was standard at releases.

depends what your definition is on clarity. then yes the quest 3 has a slightly higher resolution per eye. slightly.

if you are talking about literal in game rendering then again you are a chop because we are talking about using the headset as a standalone PCVR headset. your PC will be doing the heavy lifting

- Sorry, but there's absolutely no opinion about it, the Quest 3 uses the same type of pancake lens as the AVP. Pancake is miles clearer than frensel. Literally every single review will state this.
- Other people in this thread claimed the PSVR2 is the best headset on the market (or would be if it had PC support).
- MR effects games that use MR obviously.
- None of my facts are opinions, break any down if you feel like.
- I have both headsets - the FOV doesn't feel different to me. I do use the quest 3 on the closet setting of the adjustable slider on the headset for lens depth, so I will concede at default there's probably a slight difference.
- Clarity is just how close the image looks to the source. PSVR2 cannot show anything resembling accurate detail near the edges due to distortion, godrays, and general lack of focus. Pancake/Quest 3 is edge to edge clarity. Tiny text is readable in the entire FOV, where the PSVR2 it is not. So if you open a web browser or try to use a PC for PC stuff in the headset, PSVR2 will be way, way worse.

Again I do not believe a game rendering on PSVR2 vs Quest 3 from the same PC is given the PSVR2 will be the winner. Quest 3 is clearer, it has significantly less image retention, and it has way less mura. PSVR2 has better blacks for sure, but that's somewhat compromised by the mura, and the colors are better, but IMO that's compromised by the edge to edge clarity from the lens.

Regardless, I own both headsets, so seeing for myself won't exactly be anything hard to discover.

Bry0

Having both q3 and psvr2, yeah the pancake lenses in the quest are easily a generation ahead. The level of clarity between the two is simply no contest. Mura on the psvr2 can be pretty bad too, but it has excellent contrast. Quest 3 has a nice lcd, but it’s unmistakably just a normal backlit lcd. Lots of tradeoffs.

Exciting news about how quickly it seems Sony is working. I can’t wait to try it out and compare the headsets. I have a feeling the psvr2 will be awesome on sim games.

reinking

Gold Member
I have both. I like both. Not everything has to be a pissing contest. Another option for PSVR gamers to use their headsets is a good thing. Another headset on the PC market is a good thing overall for VR gaming. If/when Sony brings the PSVR2 to the market, I think people that don't have either can do about 10 minutes worth of research and figure out which works best for their situation. I am curious if there is going to be some type of enhancement/incentive for PC when it comes to PSVR2.

- Sorry, but there's absolutely no opinion about it, the Quest 3 uses the same type of pancake lens as the AVP. Pancake is miles clearer than frensel. Literally every single review will state this.
- Other people in this thread claimed the PSVR2 is the best headset on the market (or would be if it had PC support).
- I have both headsets - the FOV doesn't feel different to me. I do use the quest 3 on the closet setting of the adjustable slider on the headset for lens depth, so I will concede at default there's probably a slight difference.
- Clarity is just how close the image looks to the source. PSVR2 cannot show anything resembling accurate detail near the edges due to distortion, godrays, and general lack of focus. Pancake/Quest 3 is edge to edge clarity. Tiny text is readable in the entire FOV, where the PSVR2 it is not. So if you open a web browser or try to use a PC for PC stuff in the headset, PSVR2 will be way, way worse.

Again I do not believe a game rendering on PSVR2 vs Quest 3 from the same PC is given the PSVR2 will be the winner. Quest 3 is clearer, it has significantly less image retention, and it has way less mura. PSVR2 has better blacks for sure, but that's somewhat compromised by the mura, and the colors are better, but IMO that's compromised by the edge to edge clarity from the lens.

Regardless, I own both headsets, so seeing for myself won't exactly be anything hard to discover.
This is all true except I will say for me the difference in FOV is noticeable. And when you add in it's HDR advantage (awesome blacks), PSVR2 is far better for gaming.

Last edited:

Mascot

Compression artefacts on the Quest 2 and Quest 3 are a noticeable issue for PCVR flight and sim racing. HMDs really need lossless video over a dedicated cable for optimum quality.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

The psvr2 has gt7

Minsc

Gold Member
This is all true except I will say for me the difference in FOV is noticeable. And when you add in it's HDR advantage (awesome blacks), PSVR2 is far better for gaming.

I do agree PSVR2 is almost all times going to be better for gaming, but I've come across a few instances already where it is not.

Walkabout MiniGolf - The lack of edge to edge clarity hurts your ability to line up shots, because while centering your vision on the ball, the hole near the edge of your FOV is like quadruple image.
Synth Riders - There's an impressive amount of detail lost on the PSVR2 version. The motion on Quest 3 looked a lot clearer.
Kayak - This game can become unplayable in certain lighting conditions on the PSVR2. The mura is terrible in the night settings, where the entire color pallet is that which showcases the mura.

Minsc

Gold Member
The psvr2 has gt7

It does, but PCVR people will say PC racers are better than GT7.

I dunno, sim racing isn't my favorite. I'd have preferred the PSVR2 having DiRT (rally) or Wipeout (futuristic).

That said, GT7 does impress, but it also isn't perfect by any means. The detail in races is poor - as soon as something is 10' ahead of you, you can barely make out textures, like the license plate drops to some low quality texture. GT7 also only runs at 60fps, so reprojection issues. Something you can avoid on PC racers, so I'm told.

Compression artefacts on the Quest 2 and Quest 3 are a noticeable issue for PCVR flight and sim racing. HMDs really need lossless video over a dedicated cable for optimum quality.

I personally have not seen any compression issues myself, and many reviewers have also said games like Alyx look the clearest and sharpest they've even been on PCVR with the Quest 3. That said, going by the vast number of people who have issues in racing games specifically - I do believe it's an issue.

However, it is also effected by network/streaming quality, and you can run the Quest 3 on a wired connection, and there have been recent improvements to max bitrate quality - so I don't know if it's still an issue or not. Regardless, for the FPS/sport type games I've played personally, I haven't had any issues.

Chukhopops

Again...do the research. Google exists.

Psvr 2 has nicer oled panels and a slightly higher FoV, it also has the adaptive trigger controllers so if the PC version adds that support that already steps up the entire game.

Psvr 2 also supported 120hz refresh rate where quest 3 was in a testing phase but at standard its 90hz. Whether that support is there I don't know.
I really urge anyone interested to try both headsets for 10 mins before following that kind of advice.

Use both one after another because the difference in weight, size and general comfort will be in your face quite literally.

StueyDuck

Yo

You still just list things that has nothing to do with PCVR..

Enjoy being a fanboy of plastic goggles I guess 🤣

This is a waste of time

StueyDuck

I really urge anyone interested to try both headsets for 10 mins before following that kind of advice.

Use both one after another because the difference in weight, size and general comfort will be in your face quite literally.
But the point isn't size or weight or MR or wireless or any of these other things.

It's about the better experience SOLELY for PCVR.

I've tried both I own neither. I'd happily get psvr2 over quest 3 for PC (hence why I haven't got either yet) the oled screens alone are night and day.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yo

You still just list things that has nothing to do with PCVR..

Enjoy being a fanboy of plastic goggles I guess 🤣

This is a waste of time

Since you're incapable of reputing more than a single point I've made, meaning the other ~15 or so stand, you lose. Congrats on being unable to admit the PSVR2 is worse than the Quest 3 in many ways.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It does, but PCVR people will say PC racers are better than GT7.

I dunno, sim racing isn't my favorite. I'd have preferred the PSVR2 having DiRT (rally) or Wipeout (futuristic).

That said, GT7 does impress, but it also isn't perfect by any means. The detail in races is poor - as soon as something is 10' ahead of you, you can barely make out textures, like the license plate drops to some low quality texture. GT7 also only runs at 60fps, so reprojection issues. Something you can avoid on PC racers, so I'm told.

I personally have not seen any compression issues myself, and many reviewers have also said games like Alyx look the clearest and sharpest they've even been on PCVR with the Quest 3. That said, going by the vast number of people who have issues in racing games specifically - I do believe it's an issue.

However, it is also effected by network/streaming quality, and you can run the Quest 3 on a wired connection, and there have been recent improvements to max bitrate quality - so I don't know if it's still an issue or not. Regardless, for the FPS/sport type games I've played personally, I haven't had any issues.
I won’t i bought a sim set up only for gt7
It’s worth it.

If you don’t like racing in vr dont get a psvr2

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
So pc bros can buy a PSVR2 to play their vr games? It's it worth them buying it?

PSVR2 is my personal favorite headset in terms of feel and function, aside from the limited time I had to work with the Apple Vision Pro (though that one is great for actual computing and other features in a VR/AR headset, not so much for actual gaming - kinda sucks for that).

So now I will have access to both PSVR2 exclusive games AND the horde of PCVR titles. I am very happy with that!

reinking

Gold Member
I have the quest 3 and psvr2. The Quest 3 seems way more comply and better quality and fit wise. Are the PSVBR2 specs that much better?
I disagree with the fit and build quality. Even with a 3rd party head strap (Kiwi) the PSVR2 is a much better fit for me when it comes to the headset. Quest 3 does have the wireless going for it though when it comes to comfort/moving around.

Minsc

Gold Member
I won’t i bought a sim set up only for gt7
It’s worth it.

If you don’t like racing in vr dont get a psvr2

I do love my PSVR2 for what it is good at, it is incredible to experience RE4, RE8, Red Matter 1/2, and many other games like the Horizon CotM (I'm not anti-climbing, and it was a great first VR experience too). I do think a large number of games it would be a great choice on PCVR for - most of them to be honest with just a few exclusions like I've mentioned earlier. And interesting to still see some opinions that GT7 > what's out on PCVR racing.

However, I don't see myself using the PSVR2 for non-gaming PCVR use (movies, flat games, etc) over other options, though I will definitely give it a shot. It failed miserably to impress me on the PS5 for non-gaming.

What does this mean in non nerd terms?

GT7 port to PC probably 90% locked in before the EOY.

So yeah they'll release more games for it....ports to PC count right?

Also I'm gonna laugh so hard if PSVR2 gets non-gaming VR features on PC before PS5. There's at least a 50% chance that actually happens.

Last edited:

yurinka

So pc bros can buy a PSVR2 to play their vr games? It's it worth them buying it?
If they also buy a PS5 yes. Still doesn't run PC games, needs work to be done. This is a first of several steps that will allow devs to adapt their PCVR games to add PSVR2 support it in their PCVR games.

I have PSVR2 and a good PC. Can I play VR games now?
No

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Also I'm gonna laugh so hard if PSVR2 gets non-gaming VR features on PC before PS5. There's at least a 50% chance that actually happens.

Of course it will. Once you plug it into a PC you will be able to do anything you want with it including non gaming stuff.

Rudius

9Bt8wNR.jpg

sncvsrtoip

PSVR2 has:

A lot of bad / noticeable mura in grays. Like terrible at times. And there's not a damn thing you can do here.
Very, very poor edge to edge clarity with text/details due to the fresnel lens. Stuff like using your PC in a virtual screen sucks, same for watching movies, as the clarity just goes down the shitter.
Bad image retention, makes games with high motion even like Synth Riders look less detailed than on the Quest 3.
A very small sweet spot that will often need re-adjusting in higher motion games.
Poor/non-existent MR.
No built in speakers.
No Wi-Fi / Native game support.
None of the side-loaded games from Team Beef, which may change, but there's a good number of great games there.
None of the meta exclusives.
Almost none of the PSVR1 exclusives people want either.
Despite being wired, the controllers will need constant recharging of their batteries, expect ~4-5 hours (like 2 sessions, sometimes not even) battery life.

That said it has its advantages too. Just don't go in thinking it's anywhere close to being the best there is. You're totally overselling it. Quest 3 looks like literally a generation ahead of the PSVR2 in clarity. And it does absolutely run at 120hz. And the FOV is identical too.

Here's VR-Compare list.
and quest3 has terrible blacks, worse colors, lack of hdr, lack of any vibration and lack of dynamic foveated rendering ;)

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
and quest3 has terrible blacks, worse colors, lack of hdr, lack of any vibration and lack of dynamic foveated rendering ;)

I agree - the Quest 3 is not absolutely better than the PSVR2 by any means, for most games, I'd put the PSVR2 ahead, but not all. And that scale shifts favor quite a bit towards the Quest 3 when you move outside of games.

Last edited:

Unknown?

PSVR2 has:

A lot of bad / noticeable mura in grays. Like terrible at times. And there's not a damn thing you can do here.
Very, very poor edge to edge clarity with text/details due to the fresnel lens. Stuff like using your PC in a virtual screen sucks, same for watching movies, as the clarity just goes down the shitter.
Bad image retention, makes games with high motion even like Synth Riders look less detailed than on the Quest 3.
A very small sweet spot that will often need re-adjusting in higher motion games.
Poor/non-existent MR.
No built in speakers.
No Wi-Fi / Native game support.
None of the side-loaded games from Team Beef, which may change, but there's a good number of great games there.
None of the meta exclusives.
Almost none of the PSVR1 exclusives people want either.
Despite being wired, the controllers will need constant recharging of their batteries, expect ~4-5 hours (like 2 sessions, sometimes not even) battery life.

That said it has its advantages too. Just don't go in thinking it's anywhere close to being the best there is. You're totally overselling it. Quest 3 looks like literally a generation ahead of the PSVR2 in clarity. And it does absolutely run at 120hz. And the FOV is identical too.

Here's VR-Compare list.
No it doesn't. Lol Quest 3 is on par at best.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
But the point isn't size or weight or MR or wireless or any of these other things.

It's about the better experience SOLELY for PCVR.

I've tried both I own neither. I'd happily get psvr2 over quest 3 for PC (hence why I haven't got either yet) the oled screens alone are night and day.

Ya but ducks see color more vibrantly and are sensitive to motion, so our opinions don't count. 😆

Minsc

Gold Member
No it doesn't. Lol Quest 3 is on par at best.

Are you really trying to say the clarity of the pancake lens on Quest 3 is on par with the clarity of the fresnel lens on the PSVR2? That's some good shit you're tripping on there.

Kerotan

GT7 on PC could push PSVR2 hard.

I do agree PSVR2 is almost all times going to be better for gaming, but I've come across a few instances already where it is not.

Walkabout MiniGolf - The lack of edge to edge clarity hurts your ability to line up shots, because while centering your vision on the ball, the hole near the edge of your FOV is like quadruple image.
Synth Riders - There's an impressive amount of detail lost on the PSVR2 version. The motion on Quest 3 looked a lot clearer.
Kayak - This game can become unplayable in certain lighting conditions on the PSVR2. The mura is terrible in the night settings, where the entire color pallet is that which showcases the mura.
I agree with walkabout. Although the colours look great on psvr2, the edge clarity on quest 3 is a big advantage.

But I love Kayak on PSVR2, and mura is no big deal to me. I’ll take psvr2 in kayak at night over quest 3.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I agree with walkabout. Although the colours look great the edge clarity is a big advantage. But I love Kayak on PSVR2.

Kayak didn't click for me, but I get it's a cool chill game with a good deal of content, and like 95% of it looks great, it's being a little unfair focusing in on the one or two settings that result in mura - but holy hell I've never seen mura so bad as one of those jungle/night levels (I'd have to check) as in Kayak. The other issue I notice with the headset in Kayak in particular is the ghosting/after image. In one of the maps, where you can kayak around a deserted island with a palm tree or two on it, on a sunny, clear day, as you move your head/kayak around you can clearly see the after-image of the tree as the screen re-draws itself for them not to be there.

It was one of the launch games that was very hyped up and I do think it sold quite well, but I just didn't get in to it as much as I thought I would. Something a little more entertaining - like the CotM boat ride for each map would be cool, but the game on a technical level is very well done.

Last edited:

Tams

It's the one really killer app. Even RE8, which is totally amazing, does not give you that feeling of... "this was worth the money" lol. GT7 in vr with or without a wheel is such a sweet spot of easy to play and immersive simulation. Bonus: you can take the headset off and it seamlessly switches to tv output so you can fiddle with all your map and menus.

Me and my friend jump in free lap lobbies with our headsets. Now, we used to play the absolute shit out of GT2 in highschool. I had a good imagination then and I did envision us being able to play this in vr some day in the future. So it's literally like a dream come true. When we were playing on the couch, we were together there in the room, but more importantly we were together on the track, in our cars. Hanging out and driving in vr, we both feel like we're very convincingly in a real space together. It's dope, I should call him now.

brb, calling my best friend. This might be the thing that finally stops him being a green rat.

Since you're incapable of reputing more than a single point I've made, meaning the other ~15 or so stand, you lose. Congrats on being unable to admit the PSVR2 is worse than the Quest 3 in many ways.
2 things it has over Quest 3:
- OLED
- Standard strap is way more comfortable then the Quest 3

Quest 3 on the other hand:
- Can be used wireless with PC
- Can be used outside (I once took it with me and let passers by try Ritchie's Plank etc)
- Pancake lenses ergo MUCH more clarity. Way less distortion
- Software library

No contest. Quest 3 wins.

GT7 on PC could push PSVR2 hard.

I mean it could, but if it could you'd think it'd of pushed more PSVR2 adoption for the PS5 wouldn't you?

Sony can't make enough on it with their hardware due to very low penetration in sales and software so they're now going to add PC support to help with sales so it doesn't become a bad flop like the Vita.

It's the same problem as Game Pass all over again; these companies don't stop to think that maybe it's not the size of the audience on one platform that's the limitation, but the product offering itself just not being appealing for one or more reasons.

It's not like bringing that product to other platforms will result in a surge of sales (or in Game Pass's case, subscriptions) matching the ratio on the initial device (PS5 for PSVR2, Xbox for Game Pass). I just see it as companies running away from addressing the root of the problem(s) with the product in hopes it can get some uptick elsewhere.

This is specifically for failing or stagnating products, which stuff like PSVR2 or Game Pass would qualify IMHO. Can even be applied to "underperforming" 1P or 3P software exclusives.

Of course it will. Once you plug it into a PC you will be able to do anything you want with it including non gaming stuff.

IJS that is functionality which should also be on their own console. Really shouldn't be much to expect, I'd think.

Buggy Loop

2 things it has over Quest 3:
- OLED
- Standard strap is way more comfortable then the Quest 3

Quest 3 on the other hand:
- Can be used wireless with PC
- Can be used outside (I once took it with me and let passers by try Ritchie's Plank etc)
- Pancake lenses ergo MUCH more clarity. Way less distortion
- Software library

No contest. Quest 3 wins.

Another problem with PSVR 2 is, even at 0% brightness, it has the highest persistence display of any mass consumer VR headset. For some peoples it doesn't matter, for some they'll become sick or feel nausea. Don't know if they fixed that in firmware but as of launch the displays were like that.

And one of the most narrow sweet spot with fresnel lenses. Again, works for some...

I really don't understand why one would pick this over Quest 3 but I guess if you have a PS5, it makes sense. If you're PC only, I don't quite get why.

Maybe if you're 100% sit down experience sim racer / sim flight guy, then the cable for higher quality video and eye tracking then becomes more important. Quite the niche though.

Another problem with PSVR 2 is, even at 0% brightness, it has the highest persistence display of any mass consumer VR headset. For some peoples it doesn't matter, for some they'll become sick or feel nausea. Don't know if they fixed that in firmware but as of launch the displays were like that.

And one of the most narrow sweet spot with fresnel lenses. Again, works for some...

I really don't understand why one would pick this over Quest 3 but I guess if you have a PS5, it makes sense. If you're PC only, I don't quite get why.

Maybe if you're 100% sit down experience sim racer / sim flight guy, then the cable for higher quality video and eye tracking then becomes more important. Quite the niche though.
I am a simracer guy and fuck that distortion on Fresnel lenses. I had a PSVR2 (played some GT7 with it) and its immersion breaking.
I used a Quest 2 on pc with Assetto Corsa and Automobilista 2. both modded and tuned to VR perfection.

Once I used a Quest 3, I immediately bought one and sold my Quest 2.
There's a lot of HUD going on like laptimes, gears, revs, etc and I want that to look crisp when I look at it.

No competition. Quest 3 wins. Flawless victory.

Last edited:

Reallink

Confirmed. Bought my son an Meta Quest 3 and experience no lag with steam link wirelessly. Have tried it with Half Life Alex.
The issue with wireless isn't lag, it's video compression. All scenes have degraded color and banding/posteurization artfacts while visually busy/complex scenes can have full blown macroblocking.

Bry0

The issue with wireless isn't lag, it's video compression. All scenes have degraded color and banding/posteurization artfacts while visually busy/complex scenes can have full blown macroblocking.
I use a dedicated router and av1 encoding and you would be surprised how good it can look.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
IJS that is functionality which should also be on their own console. Really shouldn't be much to expect, I'd think.

Once they get it going it will just be functioning as a display like any other PC headset. SteamVR, Oculus store, porn games, etc will all be available to you. It’s not like they’re setting it up to function in their closed garden environment.

And opening it up to PC will allow anyone on console to plug it into their PC and use it. I’m not sure what you’re even asking of Sony here.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I was kind of toying with the idea of picking up a PSVR 2 for cheap to use with my PC with Sony's upcoming support, but it seems pointless going off of what I'm reading from everyone here.

Quest 3 it is!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I have never seen anything approaching macroblocking on Quest 2 though virtual desktop. Considering all the other limitations on the display quality for consumer VR, compression is a non-factor.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup, I've also used mine for dozens of hours over a handful of different games (through PCVR streaming - I've used the headset far more for native games than streaming though) and not one moment of macroblock/compression artifacts, including complex Steam Home environments, and full motion, particles everywhere, FPS gameplay.

Really the main downside is solely the horrible blacks when you want dark blacks, and the colors don't get as vivid as the PSVR2. But you do get quite a bit back in other ways to compensate for that, it's really just up to the game/use.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Looked good to me. In fairness I don’t play it enough though to know the difference.

Reallink

I use a dedicated router and av1 encoding and you would be surprised how good it can look.

Perhaps for low detail toon shaded games where banding/posteurization is the biggest problem, but for realistic high detail stuff you're much better off using the 550mbps h.264 profile. AV1 is more efficient, but nowhere near 175% more efficient. Very high bitrate h.264 will put it to shame 9 times out of 10. The Quest 3's decoder is the weakpoint.

Top Bottom